• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread: [Brewmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so Outworld Destroyer seems really dumb.

At level 20, with just a ForceStaff, Rod of Atos, Treads, a Talisman, and an ultimate orb:
I was hitting for almost 500 damage.

Also when u get too about 1600-2000 mana, you dont have to turn off your orb. Because after 3-4 attacks, you will always regain your mana back from those attacks.

He just seems insane, I was literally 2-3 hitting some of their heroes. My gpm wasnt even that good, I ended with about 400.
Imagine if you went crits or got DD :S

Crits and DD don't boost the damage of his orb, though.

Tenck

He has a few weakness though, one being BKB since his orb is magic, and two being early ganks since he's super squishy with no escape.

Umm isn't it pure, so BKB has no effect on it? Or am I just thinking spell resistance from Pudge and Anti Mage is what's useless against him?

Low Tier
Umm isn't it pure, so BKB has no effect on it? Or am I just thinking spell resistance from Pudge and Anti Mage is what's useless against him?

spell res is useless, but its still a magic orb, so bkb makes it useless. Although in all honesty, he'll still be hitting for around 150 dmg at that point. And he can always astral himself to wear out ur bkb in a 1v1 setting.

Tenck

spell res is useless, but its still a magic orb, so bkb makes it useless. Although in all honesty, he'll still be hitting for around 150 dmg at that point. And he can always astral himself to wear out ur bkb in a 1v1 setting.

Ah cool, thanks for clearing that up.

What I learned tonight: there are still some *significant* cheats out there. I downloaded the replay if anyone wants to see. a SK had Radiance at minute 14.

nope.avi

Hylian7

How does OD's q work? It's an orb why do I cast it on enemys?

Orbs (Called "Unique Attack Modifiers" in Dota 2) that are abilities work by either casting them or toggling them. The default key to toggle an ability is alt+key. With OD, you can hit Alt+Q to toggle it the effect, and every regular attack will have that effect. If you just want to use it once, you can just cast it normally, it still has the same effect. This also applies to heroes like Drow Ranger or Huskar.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
What I learned tonight: there are still some *significant* cheats out there. I downloaded the replay if anyone wants to see. a SK had Radiance at minute 14.

nope.avi

Whats the Match ID?

Also, this is how I feel when Skeleton King is on my team:
spidercup.png

http://gunshowcomic.com/451

Hylian7

Whats the Match ID?

Also, this is how I feel when Skeleton King is on my team:
spidercup.png

http://gunshowcomic.com/451

I had a match earlier in matchmaking that was SD. One of my choices was Ursa, and a teammate had Skeleton King in his choices. We did the level 1 Roshan obviously, the Radiant didn't do shit to check for it. I took Aegis, and was completely BALLING OUT OF CONTROL early on. Then our Mirana randomly disconnected halfway through and never came back. We were still doing well, we had one ancient tower left to take down. Then Lion kept charging in by himself and feeding their carries, and we ended up losing unfortunately. It ended up being a close game, but we really should have won it.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Orbs (Called "Unique Attack Modifiers" in Dota 2) that are abilities work by either casting them or toggling them. The default key to toggle an ability is alt+key. With OD, you can hit Alt+Q to toggle it the effect, and every regular attack will have that effect. If you just want to use it once, you can just cast it normally, it still has the same effect. This also applies to heroes like Drow Ranger or Huskar.

And after playing with him a bit this morning i noticed that it's pretty insane how you can just leave it on and get your mana back with essence aura, as some other people have pointed out.

I did manage to "escape" a gank by using AI twice while escaping. But its still a pretty useless ability to run away with. At the beginning of the fight its great because you negate a lot of the stuns/nukes.

Wes

venison crêpe
Just watched the second DD v EG game. DD really threw it at Rosh twice. The windrunner in that game was freaking awesome though. I'm going to have to watch it again to study him.

demented

Got the game last year and played like 3 games which made me rage quit for months.
Now I've started playing again with few guys from here, mostly practice and some MM and it's going rather well, I really like the game now.

My question is, how/where can I learn more? (read that playdota article)
Now, by practicing I keep improving my mechanics, learning about heroes, improving my last hit, got that suggested file someone here made and that's all ok but what I really need is to know counters to heroes, how to play them properly etc, so what's the best way to do that?
Practice practice practice? Can't figure it all out myself.
Should I just watch people play ingame?

Got the game last year and played like 3 games which made me rage quit for months.
Now I've started playing again with few guys from here, mostly practice and some MM and it's going rather well, I really like the game now.

My question is, how/where can I learn more? (read that playdota article)
Now, by practicing I keep improving my mechanics, learning about heroes, improving my last hit, got that suggested file someone here made and that's all ok but what I really need is to know counters to heroes, how to play them properly etc, so what's the best way to do that?
Practice practice practice? Can't figure it all out myself.
Should I just watch people play ingame?

Read guides, think about how a situation would play out in your mind. Once you have knowledge of all heroes you can easily think of the counters.

I see riki pick, I think of these things

Slardar
Bounty Hunter
Non Fragile Heroes
What items to pick (force staff helps me get out of clouds, or Eul's)
Strong early game heroes

I usually pick my heroes based on what the other team has, not just one hero in particular. Some heroes are just good in any lineup, like Windrunner or Mirana.

edit: I guess what I'm trying to say is most of it comes from experience + reading up guides on heroes. You're going to die a lot. I like think that I'm decent at the game but there's still lineups where I learn something new (by dying a lot). I made the transition to dota 2 easier than most because I was familiar with HoN and had watched some streams/read the heroes.

demented

^ that's the main thing I wanna learn, how to pick character based on what others have or what my team needs, so far I've just been practicing random characters
Got any good website where I can learn about heroes and that sort of stuff, playdota best for it?

JustinBB7

^ that's the main thing I wanna learn, how to pick character based on what others have or what my team needs, so far I've just been practicing random characters
Got any good website where I can learn about heroes and that sort of stuff, playdota best for it?

Play every hero at least once, and look at what they are, I suggest checking out dotacinema's youtube channel and watch that movie about the hero you are about to play. They explain every skill the hero has and shows how they work in about 2/3 minutes. Then I use a alt-tab guide for the skillbuild and items when I play them.

Using this method I'm almost done with the radiant side, just Chen and Silencer left. And this way REALLY helped me see how teambuilds work. Also playing single draft kinda helps I suppose, people work more on their teambuilds in that mode I noticed.

JustinBB7

What do you guys think about Jakiro btw? I always hear he's 1 of the worst heroes in the game. I played him twice last night and I got like 10 kills in the first 20 minutes. (Got too cocky and started dying a lot after that though)

But yeah he can really spam his skills and if the ice stun hits a couple of them followed by ult + duel breath that's pretty damn powerful. Only problem is you have to be pretty close to do them I noticed. But he's not as bad as I thought he would be.

Sibylus

Banned
His main issue is that while his combo is very powerful, it loses effectiveness in seconds after ice path ends. I personally think his strongest contribution would be on teams with AoE stuns, such as provided by the likes of Sven, Tiny, Enigma, Dark Seer, Tidehunter, etc. Assuming you get money, I think a Scepter and Veil would be a good pickup for late game, when your skills will have tapered off something fierce.

demented

Play every hero at least once, and look at what they are, I suggest checking out dotacinema's youtube channel and watch that movie about the hero you are about to play. They explain every skill the hero has and shows how they work in about 2/3 minutes. Then I use a alt-tab guide for the skillbuild and items when I play them.

Using this method I'm almost done with the radiant side, just Chen and Silencer left. And this way REALLY helped me see how teambuilds work. Also playing single draft kinda helps I suppose, people work more on their teambuilds in that mode I noticed.

Yeah, I'm gonna keep dotacinema open and guide in steam web browser. I already started testing them all out in order, just done sven.

Lirlond

His ult with a sceptre is just amazing. But the problem is your slow lasts no time at all and your stun is easily avoided and lasts 2 seconds, you need to have a team full of stuns to be useful. There are just better characters in the game.

http://www.playdota.com/guides/vals-pretty-guide-to-every-hero

Uses old dota icons. Some of these guides I don't agree with but most of them have insightful information. Some heroes like invoker can't be summed up in one paragraph.

Deadstar

It's crazy how different each game can be. I played as Bloodseeker for the first time and we got crushed hard. Lost around 36 minutes but it was going downhill since 5. I decided to try him again and absolutely crushed. Started with wraith band which might have been dumb but then got power treads, vanguard and sange and yasha.

Completely destroyed the more I leveled up. Nature's prophet was jungling from the start and I kept hunting him down. I'm sure it was annoying for him but all in all it was a great game.

Quadratic

I just got into the beta. Holy shit I suck. FIrst game VS bots. I'm Crytsal Maiden and I got wrecked. My final score was 5-12-3. Dire won. I understand last hitting and denials but it's not easy in practice. I seem not to register the last hit. I also wasn't over extending either. I seemed to die when it was a team fight. Mass AoE stun, a nuke and I die.

JustinBB7

I just got into the beta. Holy shit I suck. FIrst game VS bots. I'm Crytsal Maiden and I got wrecked. My final score was 5-12-3. Dire won. I understand last hitting and denials but it's not easy in practice. I seem not to register the last hit. I also wasn't over extending either. I seemed to die when it was a team fight. Mass AoE stun, a nuke and I die.

Bots are insane though. The enemy bots work like a well oiled ganking machine. While your own team sucks donkey balls. You're lucky you didn't die more. 5-12 is not bad first time vs bots lol.

HenryHSH

Play carries against bots, you'll wreck them, as long as your botmates aren't getting raped themselves.

n0b

Crystal Maiden is a horrible character to play when you are new. No health, no movement speed, you will just die over and over.

I recommend practice games over playing with bots. Or 5 people vs. 5 bots.

I can't even win as anything but a carry/semi carry against bots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom