• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

IrishNinja

trying to play SH: Shattered Memories, and it runs shitty as any google search will show, because of mad lines/artifact about. most results say fix your GSDX plugin, right? but when i go to configure mine, i get (shit, my bad for the image size...)

15y8cgl.png

why is this? ver 0.9.8, on an underclocked i5-760 (2.8ghz, ran persona 4 beautifully), 6870 GPU, 4GB RAM, rendering in hardware mode, with settings all defaulted to what i was told in the OP. thoughts?

xemumanic

Sethos said:
Really wish this thing had full compatibility with AC5

Quoted for absolute truth.

BTW, r4828 added this to GSdx: FXAA 3.10, Page Up key activates it.

I haven't tested it myself.

ChryZ

IrishNinja said:
why is this? ver 0.9.8, on an underclocked i5-760 (2.8ghz, ran persona 4 beautifully), 6870 GPU, 4GB RAM, rendering in hardware mode, with settings all defaulted to what i was told in the OP. thoughts?
Looks like the plugins crashed. Happened to me once, shutdown the emu (kill task if necessary) and try again.

Dacon

Banned
ChryZ said:
Why don't you give it another shot? I've noticed that the emu even improved on Intel processors going from 9.7 to 9.8

Oh I will, it's just that the frame spikes and drops in FFXII were driving me nuts.

Stinkdog

Neo Member
For anyone experiencing occasional framerate drops and slowdown for games that are listed as fully playable in the compatibility list, I recommend closing down any programs that are running in the background.

For me, the problem programs were Steam and Folding@Home. Before I closed them, I was getting massive slowdown in FF12 about every three seconds at 1290 x 1080 on my Intel i7 only running at 2.6Ghz. But now, almost every compatible game I try works beautifully and at full speed. I hope that helps anyone with similar issues.

Splatt

Can anyone post a good Persona 4 config? I'm having some graphical glitches and everything I've tried didn't fix them.

EDIT:

nvm, found it :)

SOLDIER

I want to try that new english patch for Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix. Any recommended settings?

Also, what is the current most stable version of the emulator? Have they finally fixed the slowdown that occurs with spells in FFX (like Demi, when you fight the very first boss)?

And lastly, can you finally view the FMVs for Rule of Rose? I've been waiting forever for that game to work properly.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I'm absolutely dreadful with fixing this kind of thing. My pc is kind of outdated: Quad Core Q6600, 3 gigs of ram, and an 8800GT. Is there a good config I could copy to get Oni 3 and Marvel 2 running smooth. It doesn't even have to have all of the bells and whistles.

hauton

It seems that the latest stable is only a few months old (May 2011)

Would it be advisable for a relative novice to PS2 emulation to stick with the stable? Or has there been substantial improvements that warrant trying out the dailies?

Thanks!

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
hauton said:
It seems that the latest stable is only a few months old (May 2011)

Would it be advisable for a relative novice to PS2 emulation to stick with the stable? Or has there been substantial improvements that warrant trying out the dailies?

Thanks!
Try out the latest stable release. If it runs the games you want to play fine, then it's okay to stick with it. Mess around with the dailies if they've updated with fixes/performance boosts for a game you want to run.

BIG NEWS!!!!....

Latest SVN build (4866) of PCSX2 has had its main core rewritten to take advantage of more than 2 cores...10-45% speedups in games with CPU's of 3 cores or more!

DieH@rd

Banned
DeFiBkIlLeR said:
BIG NEWS!!!!....

Latest SVN build (4866) of PCSX2 has had its main core rewritten to take advantage of more than 2 cores...10-45% speedups in games with CPU's of 3 cores or more!

At last.

wwm0nkey said:
Up to 45% increase you say?

Wonder if Z.O.E 2 will work well now.

Dont know, i dont have that game, but i can confirm a speedup in Tekken 5....on my Triple core Phenom II @ 3.8Ghz i've gone from a fluctuating frame rate of 45-60fps to a rock solid 60fps..so im happy..:))

wwm0nkey

Well if anyone here owns Z.O.E 2 try it out and see how well it runs, because if it works I am taking back my copy I let my friend borrow lol

Dascu

wwm0nkey said:
Well if anyone here owns Z.O.E 2 try it out and see how well it runs, because if it works I am taking back my copy I let my friend borrow lol
I'll check it out when I get home later today. On a Phenom II @ 3Ghz quad core by the way.

Edit: Not noticing any improvements for ZoE2. Drops to 25~30fps during the first battle. Tried a variety of settings, no noticeable difference.

Jaxter09 said:
What? I thought it did already.

Nope, 2 cores only, unless you switched to software rendering, then it could take advantage of more than 2, but the slower nature of software rendering pretty much cancelled out any speed increase.

I own ZOE2. I'm a bit new to this, but I have 4866 installed. I started running ZOE2 in a 512x448 window with the new multicore feature disabled; it stays at around 49-60FPS while walking towards the crater in the first scene, but it slows down to 31-40FPS when I enter the first battle.

When I enabled the new multicore option ("MTVU (Multi-Threaded microVU1)" in the speedhacks section), the framerate actually dropped to 28-30FPS. Just to make sure, I reset the emulator with the option still enabled. During the first scene, the framerate would hover around the 40s and 50s, and when the first battle began, it slowed down to 28-30FPS again. I disabled the option, and the framerate rose back to the original 31-40FPS.

Someone with more experience with PCSX2 will need to run more tests, but from my quick look, it appears that the new multicore option does not improve ZOE2.

EDIT: After enabling both the "Allow 8-bit Textures" option and the new multicore option ZOE2 stayed closer to 60FPS during gameplay (Drops to 40-50FPS during some cutscenes and the Raptor+Mosquito swarm battles), with 2x scaling and FXAA on. It looks like the 8-bit textures option needs to be enabled for ZOE2 to gain the advantages of the new multicore option.

AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (At stock speed of 3.2Ghz)
Geforce 560Ti

Changelog for 4865, the first revision with this feature:
pcsx2: Implemented Threaded VU1 :D

Threading VU1 took a lot of rewrites and new code to make possible (MTGS,
microVU, gifUnit...), but we finally got to the point where it was feasible, and
now we've done it! (so now everyone can stop complaining that pcsx2 only takes
advantages of 2 cores :p).

The speedups in the games that benefit from it are great if you have a cpu with
3+ cores (generally a 10~45% speedup), however games that are GS limited can be
a slowdown (especially on dual core cpu's).

The option can be found in the speedhacks section as "MTVU (Multi-Threaded
microVU1)". And when enabled it should should show the VU thread-time percentage
on the title bar window (Like we currently do for EE/GS/UI threads).

It is listed as a speedhack because in order for threading VU1 to have been a
speedup, we need to assume that games will not send gif packets containing
Signal/Finish/Label commands from path 1 (vu1's xgkick). The good news is very-
few games ever do this, so the compatibility of MTVU is very high (a game that
does do this will likely hang).

Note: vs2010 builds and Linux builds need to be updated to include "MTVU.h" and
"MTVU.cpp".

Right now the game that i'm playing, FFXII, is working fine.

Dunno if i will risk my save file by updating.

Good to know that the software is being updated.

Thoraxes

DeFiBkIlLeR said:
BIG NEWS!!!!....

Oh holy shit. I'll grab it and start benchmarking now to see. Guess i'll start with SotC for testing.
Lord-Audie said:

You should be able to keep two installations of it if you use a SVN build alongside a stable major release.
Also, at least from 9.7-9.8 (and builds in-between) the memory card saves did transfer over.

Thoraxes said:
You should be able to keep two installations of it if you use a SVN build alongside a stable major release.
Also, at least from 9.7-9.8 (and builds in-between) the memory card saves did transfer over.

Still wouldn't risk it. :D

Already invested 20hrs+ to the game.

I would kill myself if i lost all that progress.

Lord-Audie said:

Is this a thing (i.e. file saves being corrupted across builds?)

I'm playing the same game and don't want to risk a corrupt save

ChryZ

I also tried ZoE2.

- PCSX2 0.9.8 r4866, i5-760@3520MHz, GTX460@715Mhz, 1920x1200
- Preset 3 Balanced as basis, unchecked preset and added MTVU
- SPU2-X all default

- GSdx 4863 SSE41: D3D11, 4x, Texture filtering, Allow 8-bit textures, rest default, FXAA enabled
40-60fps, usually around 50 fps, down to 20fps in real time cut scenes

- GSdx 4863 SSE41: D3D11, 3x, Texture filtering, Allow 8-bit textures, rest default, FXAA enabled
40-60fps, few dips into the 50s, usually close to 60 fps, 30-40 in real time cut scenes

- GSdx 4863 SSE41: D3D11, 2x, Texture filtering, Allow 8-bit textures, rest default, FXAA enabled
60fps, a few dips but I guess even the actual PS2 choked in those moments, real time cut scenes more 60 than 40 fps

I had the emu window'd (~1920x1200) to keep an eye on the CPU and GPU load. The GPU was 100% when the frame rate dipped, so at this point it's more like a GPU issue. Well at least for my setup. The game looked pretty good with 2x + FXAA. They've come a long way and will prolly get there.

DeFiBkIlLeR said:
BIG NEWS!!!!....

Hot damn... now I just need to find a controller plugin that actually works well with the Xbox 360 controller. With the LilyPad plugin I can't move forward at full speed in any of my games for some reason, and the other two plugins I tried don't even recognize it. (Actually I think one of them doesn't work at all.)

Dizzy-4U

MikeE21286 said:
Is this a thing (i.e. file saves being corrupted across builds?)

I'm playing the same game and don't want to risk a corrupt save
I'm playing FFXII too. I installed this new build. It doesn't replace anything from previous build (it's a new folder).

After installation, I copied the memory card folder from the old build to the new one. Works like a charm.

Dizzy-4U said:
I'm playing FFXII too. I installed this new build. It doesn't replace anything from previous build (it's a new folder).

After installation, I copied the memory card folder from the old build to the new one. Works like a charm.

Awesome.

Thoraxes

Lord-Audie said:
Still wouldn't risk it. :D

Already invested 20hrs+ to the game.

I would kill myself if i lost all that progress.
Just make backup copies of your saves. I do all the time and store them in dropbox.

ChryZ said:
I also tried ZoE2.

- PCSX2 0.9.8 r4866, i5-760@3520MHz, GTX460@715Mhz, 1920x1200
- Preset 3 Balanced as basis, unchecked preset and added MTVU
- SPU2-X all default

- GSdx 4863 SSE41: D3D11, 4x, Texture filtering, Allow 8-bit textures, rest default, FXAA enabled
40-60fps, usually around 50 fps, down to 20fps in real time cut scenes

- GSdx 4863 SSE41: D3D11, 3x, Texture filtering, Allow 8-bit textures, rest default, FXAA enabled
40-60fps, few dips into the 50s, usually close to 60 fps, 30-40 in real time cut scenes

- GSdx 4863 SSE41: D3D11, 2x, Texture filtering, Allow 8-bit textures, rest default, FXAA enabled
60fps, a few dips but I guess even the actual PS2 choked in those moments, real time cut scenes more 60 than 40 fps

I had the emu window'd (~1920x1200) to keep an eye on the CPU and GPU load. The GPU was 100% when the frame rate dipped, so at this point it's more like a GPU issue. Well at least for my setup. The game looked pretty good with 2x + FXAA. They've come a long way and will prolly get there.

I tried it again with your last settings (2x scaling, FXAA on, 8-bit Textures enabled), and it looks like the combination of 8-bit textures and the new multicore option definitely delivers an improved framerate; 60FPS during most of the gameplay, with dips to ~41FPS during certain parts of cutscenes. When either option was disabled, the gameplay framerate dropped to ~30 when 8-bit textures was disabled or ~40 when the multicore option was disabled.

I'll retract my previous statements. It appears that when 8-bit Textures are enabled, the new multi-core option delivers a noticeable improvement in ZOE2's framerate.
EDIT: Huh, looks like it slows to 40-50FPS I get close to a Raptor enemy during the later parts of the first battle (when you're fighting the Raptors and a swarm of Mosquitoes at the same time).

teiresias

Can someone tell me whether the example video is experienced by other people when playing FFXII?

FFXII Single Digit Framerate

It happens near the end of the Quickening, about 0:20 (though the video isn't long so no real need to skip ahead). It's not random and only happens at certain spots in certain Quickenings and spells from bosses and the like. It's not game-breaking, but it is annoying when I hit one and don't realize/remember it and have to sit there waiting for it to chug its way through the effects. Not sure if it's the pure geometry or post processing effects or what doing it, it's only really annoying because of the way the audio behaves when it happens. I'm just wondering if this is normal or if I should be looking for a solution because I'm doing something wrong with the way I have the game setup in the emulator?

Also, what's the best way to monitor how PCSX2 is split-up across cores in Win7? I used to know how to do all of that in WinXP, but haven't had to figure out how to do it in Win7 and can't seem to. Just trying to find a way to verify the 3+ core usage when I have the MTVU speed hack enabled.

Zafir

teiresias said:
Can someone tell me whether the example video is experienced by other people when playing FFXII?

FFXII Single Digit Framerate

It happens near the end of the Quickening, about 0:20 (though the video isn't long so no real need to skip ahead). It's not random and only happens at certain spots in certain Quickenings and spells from bosses and the like. It's not game-breaking, but it is annoying when I hit one and don't realize/remember it and have to sit there waiting for it to chug its way through the effects. Not sure if it's the pure geometry or post processing effects or what doing it, it's only really annoying because of the way the audio behaves when it happens. I'm just wondering if this is normal or if I should be looking for a solution because I'm doing something wrong with the way I have the game setup in the emulator?

Also, what's the best way to monitor how PCSX2 is split-up across cores in Win7? I used to know how to do all of that in WinXP, but haven't had to figure out how to do it in Win7 and can't seem to. Just trying to find a way to verify the 3+ core usage when I have the MTVU speed hack enabled.
Just use the windows task manager and/or resource monitor?

Also what graphics plugin are you using?

teiresias

Zafir said:
Just use the windows task manager and/or resource monitor?

Also what graphics plugin are you using?

Gsdx 4863 with the DX11 Hardware renderer. It's the default one with all the latest nightly builds I believe.

Zafir

teiresias said:
Gsdx 4863 with the DX11 Hardware renderer. It's the default one with all the latest nightly builds I believe.
Tried using the dx10 one?

Unfortunately I'm not far enough in FFXII on my emulator save to be able to try anything other than Vaan's quickenings. :/ However his seems to be alright for me.

ChryZ

I tired a few of the previous problem games on R4866:

- Mark of Kri, still the invisible wall issue which renders the game unplayable
- Bombastic, keeps crashing the whole emu with GSdx
- Sky Gunner, keeps crashing the whole emu with GSdx

The R&C games are now fully playable, but there are some visual problems (mainly LoD and texture related).

NBtoaster

ChryZ said:
The R&C games are now fully playable, but there are some visual problems (mainly LoD and texture related).

R&C games were playable on 0.9.7. 0.9.8 and the svn releases seemed to introduce more visual issues :x Apparenly because pcsx2 doesn't support mipmapping.

The Jak games are similar. Though they have their own, somewhat scary issues too :p
pcsx2-r46002011-07-2122csz.jpg

A shame really..they look really good otherwise..

The Jak and Ratchet games all ran very slowly on my overclocked Core i7 on the earlier revisions (except when you were staring at a wall or something). Does the new multicore version improve their performance significantly?

NBtoaster said:
R&C games were playable on 0.9.7. 0.9.8 and the svn releases seemed to introduce more visual issues :x Apparenly because pcsx2 doesn't support mipmapping.

The Jak games are similar. Though they have their own, somewhat scary issues too :p
A shame really..they look really good otherwise..
God dammit, I heard about the new release and then came into this thread specifically to ask had the problems with the Jak games been fixed, but I guess this answers that question. Was there ever a release that worked well with the Jak games?

NBtoaster

nincompoop said:
The Jak and Ratchet games all ran very slowly on my overclocked Core i7 on the earlier revisions (except when you were staring at a wall or something). Does the new multicore version improve their performance significantly?

I have a i5 2500 and gtx 570, and the multicore option makes it contantly run at full speed (though I only had drops to 40fps or so before).

Enemy Of Fate said:
God dammit, I heard about the new release and then came into this thread specifically to ask had the problems with the Jak games been fixed, but I guess this answers that question. Was there ever a release that worked well with the Jak games?

I've only tried 0.9.7, 0.9.8 and the latest 0.9.9, and there hasn't been much change. Jak X still doesn't start at all. Jak 2 and 3 are playable, just ugly.

What Ratchet and Clank 3 looks like right now:

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I wish they would put some effort into fixing R&C because Sony/Insomniac seem to have no interest in giving us HD ports and my PS2 copies are unplayable on my 80gb BC PS3.

NBtoaster said:
I've only tried 0.9.7, 0.9.8 and the latest 0.9.9, and there hasn't been much change. Jak X still doesn't start at all. Jak 2 and 3 are playable, just ugly.

What Ratchet and Clank 3 looks like right now:

It's a real shame that they don't work, do you know if there is anyway we can bring these issues to the attention of the PCSX2 developers through some sort of feedback system or something? Also I don't suppose you know how Jak and Daxter runs on the newest version? I'd try myself but I'm away from my computer at the min.

Top Bottom