• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

Right now this game is pretty much perfect. Post-processing is working with later dev builds, no blending issues, a 60fps patch allows for 60fps w/o slowdowns where the original and the HD Collection runs in slow motion. Widescreen hack in place and a DS3 in native mode gives pressure sensitive face buttons.

I've been messing around with MGS3 a bit.

z0ed0dd.jpg

So far this is just a quick and dirty hack (it crashes if you try to make any progress in the game) but I'm trying to get it to work properly so you can adjust the UI scale and position.

Giever

I should probably search elsewhere for answers to this, but does anyone know if there's a way to upscale the image (on native res) with just nearest neighbor filtering?

I want sharp pixels while not having to play with a screen the size of 640x480, but I'm not sure that it's possible. Here's some screens from Metal Saga to get my point across (you'll need to look at them full-size, probably).

If I set my window size to 1280x960, I get an output like this:

But, I want my output to look like this (made by capturing the 640x480 output and doubling it with nearest neighbor in an image editing program):

Basically, PCSX2 seems to apply some bilinear filtering or something just for resizing the image, and I can't find any option to turn it off. Since I'm doubling the window exactly, I ought to be able to end up with identical clean pixels, but it doesn't pan out.

Here's a comparison via a zoom-in on the car, PCSX2:

My preference:

It's not texture filtering or anything like that, it's just what the program does when upscaling the image, and I don't see any way to stop it. Thanks if anyone can help!

dogen

I should probably search elsewhere for answers to this, but does anyone know if there's a way to upscale the image (on native res) with just nearest neighbor filtering?

I want sharp pixels while not having to play with a screen the size of 640x480, but I'm not sure that it's possible. Here's some screens from Metal Saga to get my point across (you'll need to look at them full-size, probably).

But, I want my output to look like this (made by capturing the 640x480 output and doubling it with nearest neighbor in an image editing program):

Basically, PCSX2 seems to apply some bilinear filtering or something just for resizing the image, and I can't find any option to turn it off. Since I'm doubling the window exactly, I ought to be able to end up with identical clean pixels, but it doesn't pan out.

My preference:

It's not texture filtering or anything like that, it's just what the program does when upscaling the image, and I don't see any way to stop it. Thanks if anyone can help!

I'm not sure, but I would suggest disabling "texture filtering of display" under GSDX->Shader Configuration.

RedSwirl

My preference:

The heck is this game? Some kinda Mad Max JRPG?

Giever

I'm not sure, but I would suggest disabling "texture filtering of display" under GSDX->Shader Configuration.
Yeah, I did some reseach and found out about that option, and about the possibility of putting "linear_present = 0" in the ini, but the UI option wasn't there, and adding the setting didn't do anything. Turns out I had to get the latest dev build instead of the stable one I was using.
The heck is this game? Some kinda Mad Max JRPG?
It's Metal Saga, and that's pretty much what it is. Post apocalyptic JRPG where you find vehicles (typically tanks), customize them for battle, and go out and do bounties and explore.

There's also an earlier game in the series called Metal Max Returns that got a good fan translation on the SNES. Those are the only two out of a bunch of releases that are available in English as far as I know, unfortunately.

For JRPGs they're pretty open-ended and non-linear and, in my opinion, they're very fun games!

dogen

Yeah, I did some reseach and found out about that option, and about the possibility of putting "linear_present = 0" in the ini, but the UI option wasn't there, and adding the setting didn't do anything. Turns out I had to get the latest dev build instead of the stable one I was using.

Yeah, the stable is way out of date.

Nvzman

I've been messing around with MGS3 a bit.

So far this is just a quick and dirty hack (it crashes if you try to make any progress in the game) but I'm trying to get it to work properly so you can adjust the UI scale and position.
Did this get anywhere? I'd love to use it if you managed to finish it!

KyleCross

I'm getting some horrible ghosting/blur in a lot of games. Here's some examples from Onimusha and Silent Hill 3. In Onimusha the character models are always really blurry, while in Silent Hill 3 cutscene Depth of Field causes some really bad ghosting.

Both games are running on 1.5 on OpenGL (Hardware) at 6x native rez with the recommended fixes listed in their PCSX2 Wiki entries.

I'm getting some horrible ghosting/blur in a lot of games. Here's some examples from Onimusha and Silent Hill 3. In Onimusha the character models are always really blurry, while in Silent Hill 3 cutscene Depth of Field causes some really bad ghosting.

Both games are running on 1.5 on OpenGL (Hardware) at 6x native rez with the recommended fixes listed in their PCSX2 Wiki entries.

It's very likely the blurring method they use. So let's say you have an image:

kVhsg24.jpg

How do you blur part of the image? What rendering technique will accomplish that task?

0DruSHq.png

One way is to simply take the framebuffer (read: this is the image displayed on screen) and duplicate it, overlaying a semi-transparent copy of it.

k74BaLd.png
v04reP8.png
EPvBd3Z.png

The more copies you overlay on each other, the smoother the blur. But the more copies you overlay, the more difficult it is for the GPU to render it.

The PS2 got to cheat, in this regard. Since it was rendering in 480i and usually on a TV that was already pretty blurry, it didn't have to clone the framebuffer a lot in order to generate a blur effect.

TMhDeH0.png

That's what the image would look like (roughly) on a CRT TV, using only this level of blur:

k74BaLd.png

But since you're blowing the output up in an emulator to HD resolutions with a level of clarity the PS2 was never designed to have, you actually start to see each individual framebuffer layer for the blur effect.

This big long technical explanation is to provide you the answer you don't want to hear: outside of just disabling the blur effects entirely, there is probably no way to "fix" this. The image is outputting correctly, just at a resolution you weren't supposed to see it in.

In Onimusha's case, the blur is there to try and hide the characteristic PS2 jaggies. Think of it as a very stone-age implementation of FXAA.

PCSX2 has settings that will help clean this stuff up (I think it's the CRC setting in the GPU options?), but I don't think there is a way to get rid of it entirely, because other effects rely on the framebuffer and you'd essentially be turning off more than just the blur.

(Hopefully I got all my info right)

Did this get anywhere? I'd love to use it if you managed to finish it!

So far I haven't been able to figure out how to keep the game from constantly overwriting the values that I'm setting to adjust the UI. PCSX2's debugger isn't especially helpful for digging deeper into the game code and I don't think there's any way to make a cheat code execute at a specific breakpoint, so I'm kind of at a loss. I haven't given up yet but I'm not sure if there's much I can do.

farisr

Interesting this thread popped up around the time I decided to finally set this up so I could boot up GT4 for old times sake and play through some classic tracks without having to get my ps2 out of storage.

Of course it's aged, but sometimes there are moments when you forget that you're playing a ps2 game

CpspWb8.gif

KyleCross

Has anyone managed to get the Onimusha games going? My characters are invisible

Yeah, they're pretty solid with the exception of Dawn of Dreams which requires a patch to even boot and even then it has corruptions. Have you cross-checked your settings with their PCSX2 wiki pages?

Unreal

Interpolation ?

gsdx_201710211702040rsnv.jpg

knerl

Since fall creators update I think I can't for the life of me get the native mode of a DS3 to work. The SCP toolkit driver is installed, the scp modded lilypad plugin is chosen, native mode enabled in the emulator, but the controller doesn't respond to any inputs when I try to map or test the device. Any fixes?

EDIT: After too much tinkering I finally just uninstalled the latest version of SCP Toolkit and downgraded to 1.6.238.xxx something. During the driver install I also checked "force driver installation" and voila! Back up and running perfectly in PCSX2 with pressure sensitivity.

Last edited:

Krathoon

It looks like there is a filter on Sonic Mega Collection Plus. I am going to see if removing filtering on sprites fixes it.

Top Bottom