• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda 25th anniversary Concert Details (Oct 21 in Los angeles + more)

ranmafan

I hope its ok to post here, couldn't find any other posts on this. Did anyone else out there go to todays Zelda anniversary concerts in Tokyo? I went to the first one this afternoon, and I must say, those going to the US and UK concerts are in for a real treat. It was a fantastic show, far better than I could've ever expected. They had a wide range of choices for the songs throughout the series, and even had a song from the upcoming Skyward Sword for the encore. The performance was just excellent, I wish I could've gone to the second performance as well. There were many guests there, one of the MCs was Shokotan, as well as Shigeru Miyamoto, Eiji Aonuma, and Koji Kondo making an appearance.

They also gave out a small but very nice pamphlet to everyone that went. I took a couple of pictures of it here. Hopefully this comes out well, im coming out of years of lurking here to post these. I hope they aren't too big, if so I'll fix them.

1i1Zr.jpg

9J5lb.jpg

Simply put an amazing concert! If you are a Zelda fan and you can go to the other ones, don't hesitate at all!

ranmafan

It really is nice, but sadly its not really big enough. Its more of a fold out pamphlet and all. But it has a lovely picture there of Link over the years, plus some info on all the songs they played. They also had all of us in the audience use the pamphlet for an interesting little part of the concert. But I'll keep that secret just in case it gets done in the others. It was fun.

mclem

Lord Ghirahim said:
I hope £100 gets me more than a pamphlet. It's nice to see all that Majora's Mask love though.
He implied that everyone got that (I guess it's approximately a programme). I suspect there's more for the VIP folks. Although we'll see.

Speaking of which, if we're planning to organise meetups, should it go here, a standalone thread in Community, the Zelda thread in community, or just in PMs?

ranmafan

Well the concert in Tokyo maybe a little different than the other planned ones. No VIP stuff or anything. All we got was a simple fold out pamphlet. Its very nice still and Im glad I got it. But no other goodies at all. Nothing was on sale either. That was my only disappointment on the concert. It would've been nice had they had some special items available for sale like the Nodame concert my wife went to last year. But I came for the music so I was more than satisfied. I should mention also the tickets were far cheaper than the other concerts. The best seats were only 3000 yen. I got one of those. Also if I read the website correctly they said this concert wasn't the one being recorded. Which is a shame, it was a fine performance that I really would love to hear again on CD. But Im not sure about that part and all, so I cant say for sure. But perhaps its one of the other concerts getting recorded.

Jackano

ranmafan said:
Well the concert in Tokyo maybe a little different than the other planned ones. No VIP stuff or anything. All we got was a simple fold out pamphlet. Its very nice still and Im glad I got it. But no other goodies at all. Nothing was on sale either. That was my only disappointment on the concert. It would've been nice had they had some special items available for sale like the Nodame concert my wife went to last year. But I came for the music so I was more than satisfied. I should mention also the tickets were far cheaper than the other concerts. The best seats were only 3000 yen. I got one of those. Also if I read the website correctly they said this concert wasn't the one being recorded. Which is a shame, it was a fine performance that I really would love to hear again on CD. But Im not sure about that part and all, so I cant say for sure. But perhaps its one of the other concerts getting recorded.

Can you remember most of the playlist and post it please??

BY2K

Membero Americo
ranmafan said:

You should also know that the concert is a 4-part symphony, but the premieres only have the first 2. Only the 2012 tour will have the 4 parts.

ranmafan

BY2K said:
You should also know that the concert is a 4-part symphony, but the premieres only have the first 2. Only the 2012 tour will have the 4 parts.

Yep this was true, it was only two parts for this premiere. 16 songs in total.

ranmafan said:
Well the concert in Tokyo maybe a little different than the other planned ones. No VIP stuff or anything. All we got was a simple fold out pamphlet.

Cool, that means I won't have to go on a forced diet to buy more junk on yahoo auctions ;//

JoeFu said:
So is the CD that is going to come with Skyward Sword this concert?

No. The CD bundled with Skyward Sword is/was not recorded today. I read it on some official Nintendo page, I don't have a link now.

So let me get this straight...this year there's Tokyo (which already happened) and then LA and London...then there will be a separate, similar tour in 2012 of more locations (like hopefully NY)?

ranmafan

Kard8p3 said:
Was the skyward sword theme you mentioned just the trailer theme or something new?

To be honest, I don't know. I haven't been keeping up with news on the game really and haven't seen the recent trailers. It was a theme called megami no uta I believe. Hard to remember off the top of my head at the moment. It was quite nice. There was also a piano solo by Koji Kondo before it, but they never said what the song was or which game it was from. I couldn't recognize it so maybe that also was from Skyward Sword too.

ASIS

ranmafan said:
To be honest, I don't know. I haven't been keeping up with news on the game really and haven't seen the recent trailers. It was a theme called megami no uta I believe. Hard to remember off the top of my head at the moment. It was quite nice. There was also a piano solo by Koji Kondo before it, but they never said what the song was or which game it was from. I couldn't recognize it so maybe that also was from Skyward Sword too.
If that means anything close to "song of the goddess" then yes, that's the SS theme.

ranmafan

Nintendo-4Life said:
If that means anything close to "song of the goddess" then yes, that's the SS theme.

Yes that should be it, and watching the video now, that was the song that was played, but much longer.

Kard8p3

ranmafan said:
Yes that should be it, and watching the video now, that was the song that was played, but much longer.

Was there more to the theme at the concert or was it exactly the same but played longer?

ranmafan

Kard8p3 said:
The trailer version was already great so I'm guess the concert version had to be amazing.

Yeah it was really good, and really so many of the songs were amazing. The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess medleys were especially awesome as well.

BY2K

Membero Americo
ranmafan said:
Yeah it was really good, and really so many of the songs were amazing. The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess medleys were especially awesome as well.

Oh God.

Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God.

BY2K said:
Oh God.

Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God.
Seriously FUCK Nintendo for not having more locations for this tour. Only playing in London in Europe is absolutely laughable, and it will be my biggest disappointment this year :/

For those of you who are attending the concerts you better enjoy them considering how unique an experience they will be.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Just read an interview with Reggie about the tour and he says Canada MIGHT be do-able.

Is this a tour or not? DON'T. DON'T fuck this up, Nintendo!

Kard8p3

Metroid Killer said:
Seriously FUCK Nintendo for not having more locations for this tour. Only playing in London in Europe is absolutely laughable, and it will be my biggest disappointment this year :/

For those of you who are attending the concerts you better enjoy them considering how unique an experience they will be.

Well they said they'd be doing more next year so don't worry just yet.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Any word on Atlanta (or anywhere in the south)? I would pay top dollar to go to this!

That pamphlet is amazing :0

Hylian7

Metroid Killer said:

They said there will be plenty of dates in the US in 2012, don't worry. If it comes to Houston, Dallas, Austin, or anywhere in Texas (save for maybe somewhere as far as El Paso), I'm going.

isny

napkin dispenser
isny said:
Alright, well as long as we get enough interest, I'm happy to organize it.

We have almost a month, so that should give us plenty of time to opt in =)

In regards to the Doctor Who Exhibit, it's definitely not to everyone's tastes, but for those who enjoy it, it's nice to have it literally right around the corner, lol

Going to quote myself here since only one person replied.

Anyone else up for a GAF meetup in London after the concert?

I'm happy to organize it, we just need more than two people =p

BY2K

Membero Americo
Llyranor said:
The 2012 tour better include Montreal. We even have a brand-new concert hall just inaugurated last month :D

MONTREAL REPRESENT, YO!

Oh man, they HAVE to go to Montreal.

Flare

BY2K said:
Just read an interview with Reggie about the tour and he says Canada MIGHT be do-able.

Is this a tour or not? DON'T. DON'T fuck this up, Nintendo!

What the fuck does might mean, why are we always neglected? =(

As it's already been reported, the concert series in 2012 will be a four movement symphony with each movement based on a certain game. There will also supposedly be select tracks played from games not included in the four movements. The LA concert will contains part of the 2012 concert series content, but it will be a unique concert not repeated in any of the future concerts next year to my knowledge.

To anyone who went to the Tokyo concert, did they sell any merchandise (sorry if I missed the answer)?

ranmafan said:

Anyway, the more important question is who is going to the LA concert?

BY2K

Membero Americo
According to Zelda Informer (the Skyward Sword theme is missing):

Hyrule Theme
Princess Zelda Theme
Wind Waker...something
Wind Waker Medley
Ocarina Melodies
Boss Battle Medley
Kakariko Village - Twilight Princess
Zelda's 25th Symphony (possibly the one from E3)
Ganondorf's Theme
Majora's Mask... something
Gerudo Valley
Ocarina of Time Hyrule Field Theme?
Fairy Fountain Theme
Twilight Princess Medley
Legend of Zelda Main Theme

Rehynn

BY2K said:
According to Zelda Informer (the Skyward Sword theme is missing):

Hyrule Theme
Princess Zelda Theme
Wind Waker...something
Wind Waker Medley
Ocarina Melodies
Boss Battle Medley
Kakariko Village - Twilight Princess
Zelda's 25th Symphony (possibly the one from E3)
Ganondorf's Theme
Majora's Mask... something
Gerudo Valley
Ocarina of Time Hyrule Field Theme?
Fairy Fountain Theme
Twilight Princess Medley
Legend of Zelda Main Theme

This must've been sublime.

No Wind Fish though:-(

Rehynn said:
This must've been sublime.

No Wind Fish though:-(

Eh, I thought Ballad of the Wind Fish was going to be at the concert, but maybe it's being held for next year. I will say the "concert" version of it exists.

Would they be so crazy as to have a different playlist for each location?

Kard8p3 said:
Well they said they'd be doing more next year so don't worry just yet.
Except NOE said one-off (for Europe at least). As Reggie would say, that box is ticket :(. Then again NOE have been wrong on more than one occasion.

Jackano

Starwolf_UK said:
Except NOE said one-off (for Europe at least). As Reggie would say, that box is ticket :(. Then again NOE have been wrong on more than one occasion.
Following the 3 pages letter (check back my posts in this thread for more intel about this), I can say NoE is maybe planning a tour like NoA. But this is far reading between the lines, and despite the answer I got, in my opinion, we're fucked.

I just posted on my website about the playlist. Here are my translated troughts:

- Most of the playlist is not surprising. A lot of traditionnal themes here, like Hyrule Field, Kakariko, Ganon and Zelda themes, and main themes from key episodes like The Legend of Zelda, The Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess.
- Gerudo Valley is the only track a little "off-road", but, this music is very much appreciated and recognised, and on top of that, it has already been played in the Mario & Zelda Big Band Live.
- A bunch of medley and bam, you're done.

I was hoping for more less-known tracks, I hope the extended version of the concert will offer more Gerudo Valley kind of stuff.
Link's Awakening and A Link to the Past shows great lacks here too.

And for all of you who miss the Wind Fish theme, be sure to know about the Orchestral Game Concert 1993 or 1995 or something; It was there and it was great!

Top Bottom