• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IMO, all "perfect" albums are judged in comparison to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
thriller.jpg

Yup. Perfectly defines a perfect album to me.

And for reference, I consider the following albums perfect as well...
ledzeppelin.jpg

apc_mer_de_noms.jpg

mad-season.jpg

cd_aenima_2.gif

the_spill_canvas-sunsets_and_car_crashes_copy1.jpg

895975119BlueOctober_Foiled.jpg

What do you guys judge your "perfect" albums by? <3

Armitage

ENGAGE ELITIST MODE

Calling any piece of art 'perfect' is an abominable insult. Art is by definition imperfect.

B00000AGA0.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Queens of the Stone Age Self-Titled

ct10001.jpg

The Jimi Hendrix Experience Are You Experienced?

B000003L1P.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Modest Mouse This is a Long Drive For Someone With Nothing to Think About

So I have a fetish for debut albums, **** me.

Chichikov

Armitage said:
ENGAGE ELITIST MODE

Calling any piece of art 'perfect' is an abominable insult. Art is by definition imperfect.
COUNTER ELITIST MODE WITH ANAL ELITIST MODE

By definition?
One can argue that humans, being imperfect beings, cannot create perfection (at least Plato did).
But if we take 'perfect' as 'something I would not change a note in', I can think of quite a few albums that meet this criteria.
Granted, it has more to do with me than the album itself, but that's true for every observation about art, isn't it?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
voodoojohn said:
I can't get myself to enjoy Dylan. I can appreciate him, sure, but I just cannot, despite all my efforts, enjoy him. Am I crazy? Un-American, perhaps?

He took a while to grow on me too, and I'm European :p. If it never clicks, too bad for you, he's amazing. But yeah tastes are fickle. I think we all have popular or respected artists we can't get into. For me it's Pink Floyd, for you Bob Dylan

That Aphex Twin album you posted is a collection? Doesn't count.

Also, I love how Floyd has three albums that are considered perfect by different people, and a fourth that is arguably the best double album ever.

CajoleJuice said:

Also, I love how Floyd has three albums that are considered perfect by different people, and a fourth that is arguably the best double album ever.

QOTSA has two :( Hopefully someone will post Rated R soon.

voodoojohn said:
QOTSA has two :( Hopefully someone will post Rated R soon.
Well Rated R was my favorite from them for a while, but I think I lean more towards Songs for the Deaf nowadays. All their albums are great though, with their latest unfortunately being the weakest.

CajoleJuice said:

Yeah I guess it is a collection... still he never did release any of the songs featured on the album... so its not like it was a best hits album. If it doesn't count then I would just replace it with the Richard David James Album or I Care Because You Do.

Pink Floyd has flawless records, they are the gods of making consistent cohesive albums.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I feel very strongly about Songs for the Deaf. If you ask me it's the album of the 00's, or whatever this wacky decade is called. It's not just that every song is a badass mother****er, but it keeps moving in this fast Spartan tempo, with one killer riff after the other. QOTSA keeps on churning out consistent and awesome albums (with every one of them having a distinct style!), but Songs for the Deaf is the one for me.

Karma Kramer said:
Yeah I guess it is a collection... still he never did release any of the songs featured on the album... so its not like it was a best hits album. If it doesn't count then I would just replace it with the Richard David James Album or I Care Because You Do.

Pink Floyd has flawless records, they are the gods of making consistent cohesive albums.
Yea, I wasn't sure, that's why I didn't say "Greatest Hits." If that's the first album all those songs were released on and they were grouped together that way for a reason, I guess that's why it's so awesome.

And yea, nobody creates albums like Floyd.

CajoleJuice said:
Well Rated R was my favorite from them for a while, but I think I lean more towards Songs for the Deaf nowadays. All their albums are great though, with their latest unfortunately being the weakest.

Misfit Love, alone, lifts Era Vulgaris head and shoulders above Lullabies for me. But hey, different strokes.

whiteACID said:
wow Hamberger you have excellent taste in music. are you single?
yep call me 832 445 4234

and all the elitists that are just going to answer with "lol *insert band name here*", please GTFO. just respect other peoples choices. we all have different taste.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
AlanHemberger said:
yep call me 832 445 4234

and all the elitists that are just going to answer with "lol *insert band name here*", please GTFO. just respect other peoples choices. we all have different taste.

lol you picked a tool album they suck

AlanHemberger said:
yep call me 832 445 4234

Lateralus > Aenima

AlanHemberger said:
yep call me 832 445 4234

Matchbox Twenty?

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Ryudo said:
No Beatles albums make you guys look like idiots.

Like a year or so ago, or whenever I did the GAF survey, the Beatles had like 5 of the top 10 albums of all-time according to the 50 who voted so I wouldn't complain.

Ryudo said:
No Beatles albums make you guys look like idiots.

Beatles though are in their own category. Its like they don't even exists in these best of things because everyone knows they are pretty much the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom