• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My 80's American Dream will be always in my mind!

HighPoly

Banned
Well, I'm from Brazil, and this country is not a bad place to live, but this is not the best.
I know USA has so many problems, specially today, in terms of politics, whatever...
But, since I was a child, like, since 1991, I remember I was watching Back To The Future, and I remember that I was amazed about Teenage American 80's lifestyle!!! :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Well, I'm an upper middle class guy, from a very stable family, and I think this is equivalent to a middle/middle class family in America today, like, one step below when you compare Brazil to USA.
Although we have levels of poverty in some capitals that border on the African level. :messenger_pensive:

But yeah, I have a good life, and I don't have any needs to live in US, but I can't get over the American 80's movies, I mean, all those houses without walls and railings of low grass.
All those green colors and childreen on streets playing their american games.

I love the 80's, even the Brazillian 80's, but the US 80's has something so special, that I only find in my mind. Well, Back To The Future bring me the sensation of living in California, a small town.
THE PERFECT GIRLFRIEND, THE PERFECT BLACK TOYOTA HILUX, AND THE PERFECT DOCTOR BROWN AS A FRIEND, WITH SO MANY ADVENTURES!!! :messenger_alien:

I hope sooooooo deep inside that Disney, WB, Netflix or whatever make a disgusting remake of this amazing Movie.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The 80s, 90s, and hell even the early 2000s were fantastic in the US for kids and teens. Playing outside, biking, screwing around late in the night at hte mall - going to LAN parties, discussing games and playing DnD, going to pool parties, chilling with your friends without a care in the world. Things were exciting, interesting, ever changing. You weren't constantly surrounded by negativity and fear. You weren't constantly being told how everything is shit and how its all your fault.

The internet has made things so much heavier and social media has made everyone more pathetic, scared, adn mentally challenged.

I'm brazilian too, with a similar upbringing and I feel the same. I want to be reincarnated as an american kid in the 80s.
I had this VHS tape with nothing but cartoons my aunt recorded from american TV during one of her trips. Those cartoons, the intro songs, the toy ads, man... It was magic.
And I couldn't understand a word of english at the time.

HighPoly

Banned
The 80s, 90s, and hell even the early 2000s were fantastic in the US for kids and teens. Playing outside, biking, screwing around late in the night at hte mall - going to LAN parties, discussing games and playing DnD, going to pool parties, chilling with your friends without a care in the world. Things were exciting, interesting, ever changing. You weren't constantly surrounded by negativity and fear. You weren't constantly being told how everything is shit and how its all your fault.

The internet has made things so much heavier and social media has made everyone more pathetic, scared, adn mentally challenged.
Yes, today I'm so afraid of terrorism, even in Brazil, I'm totally afraid of Ukraine war and the next catastrophe that will be Taiwan and China War... :messenger_persevering:
Cinema has been so depressive... Girls and Boys are getting so worried about their appearence, and the sexuality has becoming so libertine, and at the same time so forbidden.
Guys like me need to be so careful when talking with girls, cause you may be considered abusive or even a harasser... All things are getting so difficult like, make money, jobs, friends, relationships.
Politics are getting harder and we are always on the border of a war... Gender wars, race wars...

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yes, today I'm so afraid of terrorism, even in Brazil, I'm totally afraid of Ukraine war and the next catastrophe that will be Taiwan and China War... :messenger_persevering:
Cinema has been so depressive... Girls and Boys are getting so worried about their appearence, and the sexuality has becoming so libertine, and at the same time so forbidden.
Guys like me need to be so careful when talking with girls, cause you may be considered abusive or even a harasser... All things are getting so difficult like, make money, jobs, friends, relationships.
Politics are getting harder and we are always on the border of a war... Gender wars, race wars...

There is a trick to it all. Do what we did back in the day: Don't see it. Stop using social media. Use forums sparingly (I really only use GAF), and avoid main stream media/News outlets. I have made an RSS feed that gives me very specific news - usually related to my profession and local area news like new laws being implemented. My life has improved so much as has my general well being. Fuck everyone else. If they wish to live in a mire of misery, let them. If they want to get offended because I hit on them, fuck it. Let them get offended. As long as you aren't breaking laws you will be fine.

HighPoly

Banned
There is a trick to it all. Do what we did back in the day: Don't see it. Stop using social media. Use forums sparingly (I really only use GAF), and avoid main stream media/News outlets. I have made an RSS feed that gives me very specific news - usually related to my profession and local area news like new laws being implemented. My life has improved so much as has my general well being. Fuck everyone else. If they wish to live in a mire of misery, let them. If they want to get offended because I hit on them, fuck it. Let them get offended. As long as you aren't breaking laws you will be fine.
Sure, I always make my mind/soul/spirit cleanning...
Like staying far from internet, this is the best way, cause when you choose for walking around the city, making exercises, invite a friend to drink som coca cola and play Mortal Kombat like the older way, multiplayer local, two controllers, some popcorn! This is amazing!
But anyway, I need to come back to internet sometimes, to understand what is happening around the world, even eating some toxic information, this world is movie fast, and we need to be understanding wht's happening... This is the world we live..

But I honestly have seen that even people that are benefited by all those social minority rights, are getting sick... :messenger_dizzy:
The world are getting very sick, and sometimes I cry listening old hits or some kind of new music moviment called Retro Waves. Retro Waves has the power to bring me back to the old days of my life.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Sure, I always make my mind/soul/spirit cleanning...
Like staying far from internet, this is the best way, cause when you choose for walking around the city, making exercises, invite a friend to drink som coca cola and play Mortal Kombat like the older way, multiplayer local, two controllers, some popcorn! This is amazing!
But anyway, I need to come back to internet sometimes, to understand what is happening around the world, even eating some toxic information, this world is movie fast, and we need to be understanding wht's happening... This is the world we live..

But I honestly have seen that even people that are benefited by all those social minority rights, are getting sick... :messenger_dizzy:
The world are getting very sick, and sometimes I cry listening old hits or some kind of new music moviment called Retro Waves. Retro Waves has the power to bring me back to the old days of my life.

Nah, you really don't need to see the world and its toxic information. An RSS feed will do exactly what you need without the problems MSM/Social Media use provide. Life is worth living. Don't live in fear because of mental invalids trying to get your attention by making everything worse than it really is.

HighPoly

Banned
Nah, you really don't need to see the world and its toxic information. An RSS feed will do exactly what you need without the problems MSM/Social Media use provide. Life is worth living. Don't live in fear because of mental invalids trying to get your attention by making everything worse than it really is.
they got a big problem with a Street Fighter 6 character old skin hahahaha
Japanese guys are totally right, they don't give a fuc*k and release the game for old school gamers!

Last edited:

HighPoly

Banned
The 80s were great. So much freedom as a kid.

jGvJwDM.jpg

if you are talking about freedom, thanks to him!

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
This only works if your surrounding is doing the same….Internet and social media changed everything and it will never be the same again, no matter how hard you try to fight it.

Winter John

Gold Member
No need to dream about the 80s op. If you want to live somewheres that don't have the internet, mobile phones, indoor plumbing, cars or dentists; and just discovered AIDS, crack, mullets and shoulder pads, then West Virginia is the place for you.

Toots

Gold Member
Well, I'm from Brazil, and this country is not a bad place to live, but this is not the best.
I know USA has so many problems, specially today, in terms of politics, whatever...
But, since I was a child, like, since 1991, I remember I was watching Back To The Future, and I remember that I was amazed about Teenage American 80's lifestyle!!! :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Well, I'm an upper middle class guy, from a very stable family, and I think this is equivalent to a middle/middle class family in America today, like, one step below when you compare Brazil to USA.
Although we have levels of poverty in some capitals that border on the African level. :messenger_pensive:

But yeah, I have a good life, and I don't have any needs to live in US, but I can't get over the American 80's movies, I mean, all those houses without walls and railings of low grass.
All those green colors and childreen on streets playing their american games.

I love the 80's, even the Brazillian 80's, but the US 80's has something so special, that I only find in my mind. Well, Back To The Future bring me the sensation of living in California, a small town.
THE PERFECT GIRLFRIEND, THE PERFECT BLACK TOYOTA HILUX, AND THE PERFECT DOCTOR BROWN AS A FRIEND, WITH SO MANY ADVENTURES!!! :messenger_alien:

I hope sooooooo deep inside that Disney, WB, Netflix or whatever make a disgusting remake of this amazing Movie.

The US imperialistic cultural steam roller works really well and it's no coincidence US cultural productions are hegemonic worldwide.
For me it always was Terminator 2's John Connor who made me want to be american. Smart, good looking, with his own motocross, and ways to get money to spend in that crazy afterburner cabinet at the arcade, while ditching school, all in the first five minutes of us meeting him :messenger_smiling_hearts:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Too bad OP, you really mkissed out. My teenage years as 4 parts The Goonies, 1 part Last American Virgin and Fast Times at Ridgemont High, a dash of The Explorers except the circuit board never quite worked, a splash of Wargames and if my damned mom hadn't picked up the phone and broke the modem connection it would have totally caused WW3, and a whiff of The Gate on that one fateful night we discovered DnD and heavy metal simultaneously and nearly (according to our parents) summoned Baalzebub :p

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This only works if your surrounding is doing the same….Internet and social media changed everything and it will never be the same again, no matter how hard you try to fight it.

Nah, plenty of folks in my surroundings don't do it and it still feels like it did back in the day. Helps that I had friends back in the day that religiously watched the news anyway, so nothing has really changed in that regard. I just remove the toxic BS from my site and enjoy life. You should try it.

Methos#1975

You can still sorta of have that picket fence lifestyle on rural areas,but of course being Brazilian could or could not be a issue. Really depends. I've lived in numerous rural area and many contrary to popular belief really aren't all that racist or bigoted and wouldn't care. But some others yessh.

GutsOfThor

You mean to tell me that you don't want to live a life of perpetual outrage!?

Goes without saying that the Hollywood depiction of 80’s life wasn’t exactly accurate, but I feel like those movies did portray the cultural attitude of the time. It’s a beautiful rose tinted dream at least. Join us next week while we remember the 90’s fondly, chuckling together over ol’ Slick Willy’s antics and lamenting Kurt’s early departure, nevermind the crack.

HighPoly

Banned
come on guys, you're exageratiing when tell me that I'm a kind of hypnotised guy, by american culture.

Listen! The way to jump into a good cinema productions that explores, human values despite a multipolar world, and geopolitcs, and some kind of sify, cyberpunk, or even a taste of democracy, or concept of democracy, is watching american movies, or in a second way, Japanese games, animes, series...

I know that USA and JAPAN, are not the unique way to provide some of those things I said. But come on! Have you ever seen the Italian cinema producing movies like that? Or Brazil's cinema or even Iran and maybe Ukraine, doing that?

Well, Brazil and Mexico have produced the best NOVELAS, and some dramatic series since 70's. No doubt about it!
China has some of the best Martial Arts movies with Bruce Lee, and so many other historical movies.

France, Spain, Italy are amazing in dramatic movies. But I wanna tell you that American 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's concept of democracy, values, science, patriotism are an example for the World. Americans built the standards values and the best recipe for a good movie, cartoon, serie, drama or anything.

Don't forget that Arnold Schwarzenegger was recently invited to work with NETFLIX, tell me why?? NETFLIX knows that Arnold or any other actor, director, filmmaker from 80's are the best monolithic reference, whe talks about movie. Arnold is germany, but all your inspiration came from from 80's filmmakers and directors. Even if the product is not an amarican idea, it needs to transit through americans hands, til run into a commercial work, that make some money.

Japan is another country that has set a standard in the industry and always revolutionizes!
But, you know what?? Who made the Japanese games, anime, series and movies industry so big?
- Sure, United States of America.

Please read all text before argue with me

I love them as movies, as beautifully shot and realized fantasies and stories. As an immigrant kid who grew up in a major city in the US, reality couldn't have been any more different for me despite living in the same country.

Top Bottom