• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

Grief.exe

I'm biased since I commissioned and edited the article, but I think everyone should read this, since Durante put a ton of work into explaining how he made GeDoSaTo and how it works! There are also a ton of awesome image comparisons in there from Dark Souls 2.

Get that Large Pixel Collider moving on some 12K downsamples.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Durante is the dark souls of durantes
LOL
In the OP example in the fixed one, while i does look better overall, there is some funky business going on with that light shaft in the top right...
screenshot_2014_04_24_15_53_20_by_aloo81-d7fteda.jpg

yeah, you're right. not sure what's causing that..

rejjV5i.png
a8yLXII.png

Levyne

Banned
I asked this in the other thread, but I will double it here.

I apologize if it's a very green question.

If I plan on using this tool, should I not use the nvidia inspector settings outlined in the tweak article?

Oh man, that point sampling Bokeh is really great in Dark Souls II durante. I will try and learn how you did that, would love to see it in other games.

So how do I add games to the whitelist (I assume that's when a game will work with it)? Does the name need to be exact?

And to use this with DSII I would run as admin, click activate, and then boot up DSII right?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

If I plan on using this tool, should I not use the nvidia inspector settings outlined in the tweak article?

The inspector settings were for SGSSAA and HBAO+
- SGSSAA is a form of supersampling AA, if you use this, don't use GeDeSaTo to downsample.
- HBAO+ is the best form of Ambient Occlusion, however the inspector forced version in DS2 causes some issues with the HUD, so it's better to not go that route and use GeDeSaTo's VSAO2 instead.

Durante

You could combine it with SGSSAA if you have an absolute monster system, but then you should disable AA in GeDoSaTo. I wouldn't use HBAO+ right now -- it's better than my AO, but not by that much, and the bugs are distracting.

Levyne

Banned
The inspector settings were for SGSSAA and HBAO+
- SGSSAA is a form of supersampling AA, if you use this, don't use GeDeSaTo to downsample.
- HBAO+ is the best form of Ambient Occlusion, however the inspector forced version in DS2 causes some issues with the HUD, so it's better to not go that route and use GeDeSaTo's VSAO2 instead.

You could combine it with SGSSAA if you have an absolute monster system, but then you should disable AA in GeDoSaTo. I wouldn't use HBAO+ right now -- it's better than my AO, but not by that much, and the bugs are distracting.

Thanks for the answers, guys! I will just keep my default inspector profile then which is just AF. Running a strong system but not quite a monster :)

Cerity

The name make me think of general examinations for some reasons. either way, very nice work, I won't have work with the mess that is the current state of amd downsampling for much longer.

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
Will I be able to downsample on a GTX 480? I game at 1080p. What should I be downsampling from? I'm a noob at this.

Dr Dogg

Yeah, with an absolutely fucking ridiculous performance hit.

But it's nice quality ;)

Hahah that's alright screenshots are fine at 0fps seeing as they don't have to move.

Time to calculate some crazier 2.35:1 resolutions for Dead Space then.

Once again thanks dude.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
It works but one issue.
Once I pressed the button to take Steam Screenshots that happened. If I change it to window mode and back to full screen it goes back to normal but there are random moments where it goes back.

Is there anything I should turn off from the Nvidia Inspector? or Tweak on SweetFX?

Durante

It works but one issue.

Once I pressed the button to take Steam Screenshots that happened. If I change it to window mode and back to full screen it goes back to normal but there are random moments where it goes back.

Is there anything I should turn off from the Nvidia Inspector? or Tweak on SweetFX?
Never seen that before, and I tested it quite extensively. Are you combining it with sweetfx? If so, try removing that (you can do your postprocessing with GeDoSaTo, and without affecting the UI).

Vazra

Never seen that before, and I tested it quite extensively. Are you combining it with sweetfx? If so, try removing that (you can do your postprocessing with GeDoSaTo, and without affecting the UI).

Oh let me remove SweetFX!

Wanny

How did you get it to work with Dead Space?=O

It's weird tho. I'm using SweetFX and it seems like SweetFX only considers the resolution BEFORE GeDoSaTo. So SMAA is like only catching half of the aliasing. That's pretty weird!

Durante

It's weird tho. I'm using SweetFX and it seems like SweetFX only considers the resolution BEFORE GeDoSaTo. So SMAA is like only catching half of the aliasing. That's pretty weird!
Trying to combine multiple things which are by their very nature hacks is probably never a good idea ;)

Wanny

Durante! You godly human! Can you tell us how to set up both sweetFX (or only shaders?! I'm lost here) and GeDoSaTo together? :)

Nzyme32

Perhaps we can get a collaboration going to continue the work compiling compatible games and issues that was done in the alpha but on a larger scale?

Still fucking incredible effort durante!

sprinkles

A little suggestion: add to the GoDoSaTo.ini in the following section
Code:
# The actual rendering resolution you want to use,
# and how many Hz you want the game to think it works at.
more possible resolutions for viable downsampling, like what width and height is needed for 1440k.

Durante

Durante! You godly human! Can you tell us how to set up both sweetFX (or only shaders?! I'm lost here) and GeDoSaTo together? :)
Well, for games other than DS2, that probably simply doesn't work currently. For DS2, I re-implemented the SweetFX effects I used in my DS2 profile. Just look at "assets/post.fx" in the GeDoSaTo folder.

A little suggestion: add to the GoDoSaTo.ini in the following section
Code:
# The actual rendering resolution you want to use,
# and how many Hz you want the game to think it works at.
more possible resolutions for viable downsampling, like what width and height is needed for 1440k.
I don't really understand what you mean, you can write anything you want there?

sprinkles

Yeah I know but I am stupid and hate having to look up unknown resolutions. No offense meant though, I cannot wait to test downsampling on an AMD card.

Levyne

Banned
I think I plan on doing 2880x1800 -> 1920x1200

I know no one cares, just making another post to kill time.

*Stares at watch*

Vazra

The glitch continues.
Removed SweetFX from the Dark Souls 2 folder.
Deactivated GeDoSaTo and checked the game works fine and it takes shots without messing up
Activated GeDoSaTo back and went back to the game and the issue seems to be still there. (I havent changed anything from the GeDoSaTo settings)

Durante

ZZSmggr.jpg

what am i doing wrong.

i extracted, and went to run and then this error thing pops up. any help?
Hmm, are you on a 64 bit or 32 bit OS? Are you running GeDoSaToTool (now that's a name) as administrator?

The glitch continues.

Removed SweetFX from the Dark Souls 2 folder.
Deactivated GeDoSaTo and checked the game works fine and it takes shots without messing up
Activated GeDoSaTo back and went back to the game and the issue seems to be still there. (I havent changed anything from the GeDoSaTo settings)
Strange. GPU/OS?

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I'm biased since I commissioned and edited the article, but I think everyone should read this, since Durante put a ton of work into explaining how he made GeDoSaTo and how it works! There are also a ton of awesome image comparisons in there from Dark Souls 2.

Dat Bokeh. :O
I want a bokeh injector for every game now.

Ilive1up

Hmm, are you on a 64 bit or 32 bit OS? Are you running GeDoSaToTool (now that's a name) as administrator?

64-bit OS.

how do i know if i'm running it as administrator? wait, found out, had to right click it. :)

i'm a noob pc guy here, just FYI. it's probably something simple i'm missing.

now i got this after i ran it as administrator.

PmVJz2M.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It works but one issue.

I recommend disabling the steam overlay for most games when using a custom res through this, at least that was my experience with the previous release. Durante built in some handy screenshot buttons so you don't need an external method.

Mohasus

Pretty cool, I'll probably downsample again. For some reason any resolution higher than 1440p (my display is 1440p) fails before nVidia control panel even tries.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
64-bit OS.

how do i know if i'm running it as administrator? wait, found out, had to right click it. :)

i'm a noob pc guy here, just FYI. it's probably something simple i'm missing.

now i got this after i ran it as administrator.

PmVJz2M.jpg
I'm getting the same. 64-bit OS here.

Top Bottom