• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT3| 80.8 % Certified Fresh

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
So not a single reference to the wider MCU in The Defenders outside of another fucking passing mention of "The Incident" again.

I think Marvel TV is pretty done trying to make these shows feel cohesive with the films.

There's technically a reference to
Spider-Man in the final episode, in the lyrics of a Wu-Tang Clan song that plays as they fight lol

caliph95

So not a single reference to the wider MCU in The Defenders outside of another fucking passing mention of "The Incident" again.

I think Marvel TV is pretty done trying to make these shows feel cohesive with the films.
I love them keep pointing out how insane and unbelievable all this is and forgetting that earth was saved thrice from aliens, terminators and basically the comic illuminati two of them from a mythological God

And gifted people exist in this world and are widely known and they act like all this is too out there

SpaceWolf

Banned
I love them keep pointing out how insane and unbelievable all this is and forgetting that earth was saved thrice from aliens, terminators and basically the comic illuminati two of them from a mythological God

And gifted people exist in this world and are widely known and they act like all this is too out there

In all fairness, even if you existed in such a universe, I think you'd still be caught by surprise if someone you knew casually made reference to fighting a dragon, or that there was a secret society who found the cure to death itself.

caliph95

In all fairness, even if you existed in such a universe, I think you'd still be caught by surprise if someone you knew casually made reference to fighting a dragon, or that there was a secret society who found the cure to death itself.
True I'll give them that

Though the hand isn't the most out there when hydra and inhumans exist (though to be fair inhuman are just gifted people to everybody else)

SpaceWolf

Banned
True I'll give them that

Though the hand isn't the most out there when hydra and inhumans exist (though to be fair inhuman are just gifted people to everybody else)

I'm not sure the public at large know about the existence of Inhumans? I don't watch SHIELD though, so maybe that show contradicts that.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

Yeah. I don't mind the skepticism. People can easily compartmentalize one thing and not another. (Aliens existing sure, but dragons... that's fantasy!)

SpaceWolf

Banned
Yeah. I don't mind the skepticism. People can easily compartmentalize one thing and not another. (Aliens existing sure, but dragons... that's fantasy!)

Exactly, yeah. I think real life can be a lot more complicated in that. If someone gave me iron-clad proof of the existence of martians, that suddenly wouldn't make me more willing to buy into the existence of fairies, you know? I think people can be extremely stubborn when it comes to accepting the extraordinary, certainly when it comes to deranged shit like dragons and the concept of immortality.

First off, you're missing out. Second, the public image of Inhumans is a pretty big topic in S3 and S4.

I tried the first few episodes of Season 1, but they were all so aggressively bad, I just had to stop watching. I know it apparently gets much better, but I don't think I'm willing to wade through all the bad stuff to get to the good. And I say this as someone who managed to get to the end of Iron Fist.

Glass Rebel

Well, if you don't mind skipping stuff, you can watch these before the turning point of the series at episode 17:
1, 4, 11, 13, 14, 16

And then you can still go back and watch the missing episodes if you feel like it.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I think the Marvel Nextflix stuff is really far behind the Movie verse anyways in terms of timeline. Maybe even a year or so? I'm trying to remember if there was any mention of Age of Ultron in the previous seasons.

dh4niel

I think X-Men Movie Quicksilver is the better Quicksilver than MCU Quicksilver, everyone else here feels differently.

He is better. Surely there's no contest? Not that it's saying alot but his scenes steal the show in those movies. He just had a shitty dumbass death in the MCU.

Glass Rebel

I don't think anyone argued that X-Men Quicksilver wasn't more entertaining. The argument, if I recall correctly, was that he isn't a character but a glorified setpiece.

I don't think anyone argued that X-Men Quicksilver wasn't more entertaining. The argument, if I recall correctly, was that he isn't a character but a glorified setpiece.

That and the dumb subplot about Magneto being his dad was so pointless. It was refreshing in the MCU not having those characters bogged down by stupid X-Men shit.

SpaceWolf

Banned

I think you're probably right, yeah.

Even so, I still think there was more to that character than MCU Quicksilver. But then in all honesty, there wasn't a whole lot about Age of Ultron I walked away satisfied with.

whipihguh

Banned
It's such a minor thing, but it really bugs me about how they straddle the line between referencing the films in the Netflix shows, but not exactly. The Chitauri invasion is always just "the incident", the Hulk is always "the big green guy", "the dude with the magic hammer". Why even make the reference if you're so hesitant on actually making the reference?

It just kinda takes me out of it sometimes, since it seems like they go out of their way to do it. Like, I think people of NYC would have a name for the alien invasion at this point instead of speaking of it with vague references of "the incident" like it's Voldemort.

Fhtagn

Yeah, this. Though I really liked that kitchen set piece. The one while the house is blowing up made me roll my eyes cuz he's basically moving at near light speed during it and that's just plain ridiculous.

AMUSIX

It's such a minor thing, but it really bugs me about how they straddle the line between referencing the films in the Netflix shows, but not exactly. The Chitauri invasion is always just "the incident", the Hulk is always "the big green guy", "the dude with the magic hammer". Why even make the reference if you're so hesitant on actually making the reference?

It just kinda takes me out of it sometimes, since it seems like they go out of their way to do it. Like, I think people of NYC would have a name for the alien invasion at this point instead of speaking of it with vague references of "the incident" like it's Voldemort.

This gets said a lot, but it really isn't that accurate. "The Incident" is the in-universe name for the Chitauri Invasion, the way that 9-11 is our name for the terrorist attack on the twin towers (which, by the way, is the commonly used name for the World Trade Center). So, yeah, whenever it's mentioned, they just call it by its generally accepted name.

The Hulk isn't given a public name in the movies...so how is the average person supposed to refer to him?

While there are euphemisms for Thor and Stark and Cap, they also get called by name, so it's not like the shows are hesitant to make any reference, it's that the writers get a bit too overzealous with their nicknames.

whipihguh

Banned
This gets said a lot, but it really isn't that accurate. "The Incident" is the in-universe name for the Chitauri Invasion, the way that 9-11 is our name for the terrorist attack on the twin towers (which, by the way, is the commonly used name for the World Trade Center). So, yeah, whenever it's mentioned, they just call it by its generally accepted name.

The Hulk isn't given a public name in the movies...so how is the average person supposed to refer to him?

While there are euphemisms for Thor and Stark and Cap, they also get called by name, so it's not like the shows are hesitant to make any reference, it's that the writers get a bit too overzealous with their nicknames.

Is that the in-universe name? I always noticed it was lower-case in subtitles, so I always assumed it was a mere reference rather than the in-universe name.

Cap does refer to him as Hulk in Avengers at least, but I think that's the only time that happens. Suggests that he is nicknamed "Hulk", but I suppose that might not be public knowledge, so I'll give you that.

And maybe that's my issue, that seems to be what they do in the Netflix shows more often than not. I honestly can't remember any time they make a reference to any specific Avenger expect with the descriptive nicknames, but I suppose I could be mistaken, it's a lot of footage to remember.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Why wouldnt the public not know what his name is when they have big press conferences for Avengers related stuff? Of course they know.

whipihguh

Banned
Well, Hulk's only referred to himself as such once, so I could see it not being the go-to nickname for the public when they refer to him. Heck, I think that point with Cap is the only time any of the Avengers refer to him as Hulk, either. If they ever give him a specific name, they just refer to him as Banner or Bruce.

Wait, wasn't the Hulkbuster referred to by name in Homecoming? Yeah, nevermind what I said then, the public totally knows him as the Hulk.

Well, Hulk's only referred to himself as such once, so I could see it not being the go-to nickname for the public when they refer to him. Heck, I think that point with Cap is the only time any of the Avengers refer to him as Hulk, either. If they ever give him a specific name, they just refer to him as Banner or Bruce.

Wait, wasn't the Hulkbuster referred to by name in Homecoming? Yeah, nevermind what I said then, the public totally knows him as the Hulk.

Plus, I'm pretty certain one of the girls in the gym scene in Homecoming explicitly says "F Thor, marry Iron Man, kill the Hulk."

SpaceWolf

Banned
The Hulk is definitely referred to as such in-universe guys, c'mon.

The Defenders intro is too damn good.

I took some snapshots from a high quality clip (not the YT link). Gonna do a little tinkering and maybe use it as a rotating wallpaper set.

Yeah, I absoloutely love the main theme for The Defenders, as well as the opening intro. They did a really great job with it.

I really liked The Defenders. It was really good. Better than Iron Fist by a country mile.

I love how the main indicator of quality for the Netflix shows ever since Iron Fist came out has now become “Is it better than Iron Fist?”

Have we really fallen so far?

This gets said a lot, but it really isn't that accurate. "The Incident" is the in-universe name for the Chitauri Invasion

"Battle of New York" is the name.

JnF2w8G.png

"Incident" is just such a non-descriptive, generic term that I don't think anyone would use to refer to such a big and specific event.

caliph95

The Hulk is definitely referred to as such in-universe guys, c'mon.

Yeah, I absoloutely love the main theme for The Defenders, as well as the opening intro. They did a really great job with it.

I love how the main indicator of quality for the Netflix shows ever since Iron Fist came out has now become “Is it better than Iron Fist?”

Have we really fallen so far?
Hey I liked inhuman, it's better than Iron fist

Hey I liked Iron Fist season 2 it's better than inhuman

Our new cycle of life

"Battle of New York" is the name.

JnF2w8G.png

"Incident" is just such a non-descriptive, generic term that I don't think anyone would use to refer to such a big and specific event.

It's both. The whole situation with Loki, the Chitauri and the black hole is referred to as "The Incident" multiple times in Marvel TV. The actual fight however is called The Battle Of New York in both the shows and the movies.

jmood88

I had my doubts about them taking it to that, but as soon as the scene that it happened in started, I knew.
Lol, I actually meant that I was surprised that they did it. If she was in one of the movies, then I wouldn't have doubted it but the Netflix shows have changed enough that I wasn't expecting it when it actually happened.

I hear Defenders is somewhere between good to overhyped as hell.

Loeb this year has lost it, it seems.

Its... mediocre

Which is a far cry from what i expected going in.

Script and Plot are what truly killed it but i was also disappointed in the action. To much meandering, monlogues, explanations, weird decisions

Its like they were really handcuffed in all areas. Lacking in budget and structure. Such a shame.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I still can't believe that they just made up a new bullshit villain for The Defenders instead of using existing comics material. Sigourney Weaver was an abominable waste of screen time.

Mafro

I still can't believe that they just made up a new bullshit villain for The Defenders instead of using existing comics material. Sigourney Weaver was an abominable waste of screen time.
Yeah it seemed utterly pointless, felt like she was just cast in it because of who she is. Reminds me of Agents of SHIELD going out of their way to not use anyone from the source material as much as possible.

Main villain should have been someone like the Hood.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Well, The Defenders has definitely made sure that Daredevil
won't be showing up for Infinity War or Avengers 4.

It's time for me to move on with my life.

tumblr_mz0dv80W561rb06tgo1_500.gif

SpaceWolf

Banned
Huh? Did you not watch the end?

Matt's alive being looked after by his mom the nun.

I know, which means the character is going to essentially be out of action until the next season of Daredevil comes along until at least 2018, seeing as how Matt's recovery is going to lead directly into the Born Again storyline they're setting up for Season 3.

The character will be out of action until his story is resolved. Right now, his character isn't in a position to get involved with any of the films...given that for all and purposes, he has to remain asleep on that bed until his own show sees fit to wake him up.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
I know, which means the character is going to essentially be out of action until the next season of Daredevil comes along until at least 2018, seeing as how Matt's recovery is going to lead directly into the Born Again storyline they're setting up for Season 3.

The character will be out of action until his story is resolved. Right now, his character isn't in a position to get involved with any of the films...given that for all and purposes, he has to remain asleep on that bed until his own show sees fit to wake him up.

Aren't all these Netflix shows still taking place a year or two behind though? Not that I expect DD to be in the films anyway, but he could easily regain his health by the time Infinity War rolls around in MCU timeline.

I mean
I think there's zero chance of any of the tv folks showing up in Infinity War, or the movies, in general. Though Marvel not bringing in Fisk into a Spider-Man movie is a sin.

Top Bottom