• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT3| 80.8 % Certified Fresh

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Aren't all these Netflix shows still taking place a year or two behind though? Not that I expect DD to be in the films anyway, but he could easily regain his health by the time Infinity War rolls around in MCU timeline.

Yeah, the Netflix shows are still before AoU, I think.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Aren't all these Netflix shows still taking place a year or two behind though? Not that I expect DD to be in the films anyway, but he could easily regain his health by the time Infinity War rolls around in MCU timeline.

For what it's worth, I believe these shows currently take place around the 2016 marks...but god knows how that relates to the MCU timeframe after Spiderman: Homecoming came along and messed the timeline up. Even so though, I don't think Marvel Television would feel comfortable wheeling out Daredevil until his storyline gets resolved,
especially with the public at large thinking he's dead.

I mean
I think there's zero chance of any of the tv folks showing up in Infinity War, or the movies, in general. Though Marvel not bringing in Fisk into a Spider-Man movie is a sin.

Oh, there's absolutely zero chance. This was just the nail in the coffin for me as a Daredevil fan. Before the odds were like 5%...now I feel they're at like -20%.

The ending of episode 6 is trash and a complete waste of a certain character. A complete wheel spinning episode.

There was absolutely nothing to Alexandra's character to begin with. Having the leader of the Hand be some random white lady with zero personality was dumb as hell.

I'm down for
Danny taking over as Daredevil for a while. Anything to continue the personality he grew in The Defenders.

Yeah I never watched IF because of the bad reviews, but I enjoyed The Defenders for the most part and really grew to like Danny. Colleen had absolutely no personality whatsoever, though.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
http://screenrant.com/avengers-infinity-war-ebony-maw-actor/

Actor-Tom-Vaughan-Lawlor.jpg

Tom Vaughan-Lawlor will play Ebony Maw in Infinity War.

Just in case you didn't believe all those film sites, "The Punisher" Facebook page has re-re-re-re-confirmed it is scheduled for 2017.

Also, "The Defenders" is a disappointment, 6.5 out of 10.

duckroll

After Luke Cage cratered in the second half, Iron Fist came out stillborn, and Defenders seemingly being mildly mediocre, is there any chance that Netflix Marvel will recapture the excitement it had when Daredevil first launched ever again? Seems like a lifetime ago.

Can it recapture the excitement? It could, but it's an uphill battle.

My issues with "Defenders" lay with clunky dialogue, an unnecessarily complicated and at times dumb plot, and action scenes that were mediocre or shot confusingly. The people behind the show gave no real time to developing any of the antagonists or our protagonists other than what had been established in the prior shows. Matt's an angsty Catholic that loves Elektra, Luke likes to occasionally crack jokes and beat people, and Jessica cracks wise and drinks. Danny only gets development because he's being handled by more competent writers and even then all his dialogue feels wooden, as if Stephen Amell was playing the role.

If the show had just spent some time crafting meaningful character arcs and cut back on the action, we might have a better show. At the moment, all I'm seeing is that DD S1 seems to have been the product of Steven DeKnight instead of functioning Marvel TV. With this, Iron Fist, and now Inhumans, I really fucking hope Feige convinces Alan Horn to get TV under his domain because it's going down the fucking tube.

duckroll

Speaking as someone who hasn't seen the Defenders yet because it looks kinda meh to me, I'll say that my lack of excitement has to do with how poorly they have sold this crossover series so far. It looks like something that only exists because someone decided this crossover has to exist. There's nothing inherently appealing about the proposed storyline and everything in the trailer looks like more of the same. It's easier to get excited for the potential the Punisher series has in terms of character arc, or the next Daredevil season which could be Born Again, etc. With Defenders at this point it feels like whogivesafuck, and after talking to friends who have seen it, it sounds like the storyline itself is just more cockteasing for a "real threat" somewhere down the line.

jph139

I think Marvel Netflix is going to continue to grind out new seasons and stuff, but it's never going to hit the same highs. It'll be like most Netflix shows - like, there's a new season of Orange is the New Black or House of Cards, and everyone's like "oh, look, a new season," and then they watch it, and then they move on. Defenders is sort of like that, but for four shows at once.

Of course it really depends on Punisher and JJS2. Punisher is their most mainstream property since Daredevil (probably even bigger, honestly), and JJ got a lot of attention outside of the usual superhero media circles, so I think either of them could draw a lot of eyes.

But DDS3 and Cage S2 and Iron Fist S2 it's like... nah. Not fresh. They're retaining their viewers at this point, not attracting new ones.

golem

I liked the Defenders overall. I think they did some interesting stuff with the Hand mythology (finally) and gave every character the chance to stand out a bit and maybe even grow a little. Even Danny was tolerable for the first half. The villains and the fight/action choreography at the end was a real let down however- you can tell they didn't exactly hire top men to make this project. Also the power levels are all messed up- its like playing Destiny after a shitty balance patch has made everyone into bland kung fu fighters. I am interested to see where the stories of each of the characters heads next though

Malyse

I still really love the idea of called Danny Rand "Rusty Knuckles"

----

Prolly too late to save anyone but:

Everything You Need to Know About Iron Fist Without Actually Watching Iron Fist
vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/03/iron-fist-recap-season-easter-eggs-defenders-continuity-hints/amp

Speaking as someone who hasn't seen the Defenders yet because it looks kinda meh to me, I'll say that my lack of excitement has to do with how poorly they have sold this crossover series so far. It looks like something that only exists because someone decided this crossover has to exist. There's nothing inherently appealing about the proposed storyline and everything in the trailer looks like more of the same. It's easier to get excited for the potential the Punisher series has in terms of character arc, or the next Daredevil season which could be Born Again, etc. With Defenders at this point it feels like whogivesafuck, and after talking to friends who have seen it, it sounds like the storyline itself is just more cockteasing for a "real threat" somewhere down the line.
As someone who's watched it, you're absolutely right; they never quite justify the Defenders teaming up outside of the fact Netflix signed a contract for them to do so years ago.

kurahador

Marvel need to do something more with Netflix universe. Lose the "grounded" thing by making Ghost Rider or Blade and go Doctor Strange lite.

It is, sadly.

Brought this up in the Defenders thread, but honestly, the only way you should consider AoS/NF Shows/Inhumans/any other Marvel TV bit as part of the MCU is if you're a fan of those things. The mirror is one way - at no point have the films reflected the shows, and tbh the shows almost never reference anything past Avengers 1.

In Star Wars terms

Films = core universe
TV = expanded universe, like the SW novels/games used to be.

Marvel's only real advantage is film-like credibility because the Netflix shows fit seamlessly with each other.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I keep forgetting The Punisher show is not only a thing, but that it's going to be coming out relatively soon.

I have no idea what to expect from it.

Platy

Prolly too late to save anyone but:

Everything You Need to Know About Iron Fist Without Actually Watching Iron Fist
vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/03/iron-fist-recap-season-easter-eggs-defenders-continuity-hints/amp

Everything You Need to Know About Iron Fist Without Actually Watching Iron Fist :

There is a 5 minute fight where an asian american shows more charisma than the actual Iron Fist actor. That asian american dude ALMOST got the role of Iron Fist. Also 75% of the series is not about Danny Rand

Just finished "The Defenders" and instead of being the equivalent of "Avengers" it puts on its best Thor: The Dark World costume. A middling, half-baked story thats as generic as it comes and feels like it's only made for contractual obligations instead of telling a good story. Coupled with the fact that The Hand and Alexandra make malkieth look half decent by comparison due to how garbage and uninteresting they both are.

The show is only 8 episodes and still finds its way to drag on longer than it should, as per the Netflix/Marvel usual.

The only thing I enjoyed watching this was
Krysten Ritter
Charlie Cox
And the scarce fun character interactions

If you told me Scott buck did this series with the awful editing, terrible writing, and dull fight scenes (mostly cage and JJ) I'd belive you.

Overall 5/10, I believed at one point these Netflix shows would be something great, oh how wrong I was.

dh4niel

I'm sure it's been mentioned before but what's the deal with this Inhumans series in the first place? I thought as they would be technically Fantastic Four characters Fox would have the rights?

I have high hopes for the Punisher series as he was the best part of Season 2 of DD but that released picture looks weird. I think it's the odd choice of lighting. Makes his body look weird at first glance.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before but what's the deal with this Inhumans series in the first place? I thought as they would be technically Fantastic Four characters Fox would have the rights?

Pretty simple. However the contract was written, Inhumans were excluded from that deal either explicitly or implicitly.

So Ive never seen an episode of Agents of Shield, but how did they bring Coulson back? It's never addressed in the movies and he never comes back.
Also nothing that happens in that show is ever referenced in the movies, is it like the Netflix Marvel thing where it's barely connected?

Sometimes I really miss Shield in the MCU, which is say I miss Coulson, Nick Fury and even Maria Hill.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
So Ive never seen an episode of Agents of Shield, but how did they bring Coulson back? It's never addressed in the movies and he never comes back.
Also nothing that happens in that show is ever referenced in the movies, is it like the Netflix Marvel thing where it's barely connected?

Sometimes I really miss Shield in the MCU, which is say I miss Coulson, Nick Fury and even Maria Hill.
The Tahiti Project... It was a medical procedure which was supposed to be used in case any of the Avengers were killed in battle. They essentially opened the top of his skull and had some weird robot thing with needles poke his brain to stimulate it and plant false memories into his head. Coulson was not aware that he died when he was brought back. They made him think he was in Tahiti on a long vacation. But his real memories started to come back and finally Fury showed up to explain what really happened to him.

Coulson met Lady Sif in an episode and told her not to tell Thor or any of the other Avengers that he was alive. Though now it's kind of ridiculous that he isn't back in the movies yet or that Cap doesn't know. I hope they sneak him in Infinity War just to help Cap out in a scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuxfhB9iBc8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWRmEJgDGwY

Top Bottom