• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Odyssey is great, but Switch needs 3D World

Freeman76

Guarantee we will get 64, Sunshine and Galaxy 1 and 2 HD for Switch. It would be like printing money and with the motion controls etc they would translate easily.

Smasher89

concidering 3d world now probably wont get a patch, a version where they keep the stats of the winner on each stage, and does like zelda four swords, crown a winner at the end of the game would make it the definitive edition.

Remember the marketing of the game was heavily multiplayerfocused, yet there was no way to crown a winner on more then just 1 stage.

entremet

I have a feeling every major Wii U game will be ported in time. The Wii U was a total disaster and seeing all those great games stuck there would be a shame.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Well, Nintendo has a few choices here. Realistically, a remake of Sunshine that fixes the camera and the endgame issues would be the best choice. But it would need to be a Wind Waker-esque remake and not just a straight HD port. I don't think Nintendo would do that. (In my wildest dreams, I would want the game to be a full remake of 64 and Sunshine, together.)

The easier option is a Galaxy 1 + 2 HD Collection, as nothing at all needs to be done to those games, other than giving them the HD boost. That's likely an easy money-maker for Nintendo, something that could be a good summer release.

The third option is to port 3D World but if they were to do that, I think it would be awesome if they threw in a full 3D Land remake alongside it. Perhaps allow 2 players at once (as the game would need to be drastically overhauled to have 4 players) and let people choose from the 5 characters in 3D World.

callmesteam

Neo Member
3D Land got me excited for Mario games again. World was good, but felt like more of the same after Land, and really made me question their devotion to outdated elements like a scoring system, for example.

I do really miss the clear, glass pipes from 3D World. Or really any animation to show motion through pipes. In Odyssey, Mario just enters a pipe and then it cuts to show him popping out...no camera pan along the pipe path. Small touch, but feels like it's missing. It makes us sit through Cappy giving action instructions every time we fly somewhere, it seems like it wouldn't be an issue to have us sit through pipe movement animations.

Wiped89

Nah

Was fine to play it through once on Wii U. I can't say I'll miss it much going forward.

I haven't played SMO yet (copy finally arriving tonight) but I can say I much prefer exploratory Mario games (SM64, SMG 1&2)

No more ports...just make new games, it's a great game and the improvements would at best be minimal porting to the switch. Using a different controller is not a improvement.

All the big hitters on WiiU deserve a Switch update. So many people missed great games like DKC:TF and Bayonetta 2 I feel like Switch ports is easy money for Nintendo and great for those like myself who never could quite pull the trigger in buying their last console.

RAWi

Yes!!

Playing Super Mario 3D World with my girlfriend and two other friends was a blast! The best of best. If anyone has a chance to play with another player or more, do it.

And the Switch gives an instant 2 player mode, with the joy-cons. Although, I would prefer if we get some sort of sequel, new levels and all.

Bakkus

That seems like the most redundant port you can make. It has to be a part of a collection pack at least.

zenspider

I'd like to see a low-key port to fill in 2018 a bit and would definitely double dip.

Odyssey is Amazing, but I think 3D World is better for co-op, especially with who I've been co-oping with - manipulating the camera is definitely the biggest hurdle for lapsed and non-gamers, and Odyssey'a camera is more gamer-friendly than neophyte friendly compared to Galaxy and Sunshine.

I loved 64 and sunshine, galaxy games was great but I was not a fan of the small worlds

I have not played 3d world or odessey but from my impression 3d world looks amazing, better than odessey

This post doesent make much sense but thats it

Sure it does. 3D World has to render only so much because the areas are more linear. Odyssey has to render immense lands. I don't remember if 3D World was 1080p but the hardware isn't that different.

3D World was 720p.

Still, I felt the opposite way about Odyssey's visuals when I had a look at 3D World trailers and gameplay yesterday - 3D World is way behind visually and technologically from Odyssey.

Not only is Odyssey indeed rendering vaster worlds with a much, much higher draw distance, but it also has a completely free camera, higher-poly objects and characters, more advanced shaders and a higher variety of shaders, far more advanced lighting, actual dynamic cast shadows from the environment and objects (Captain Toad had a bit of this, 3D World has none of this), and higher resolution textures that still look crisp in docked mode at 800-900p.

This all probably explains why Odyssey renders in 640 x 720 in portable mode, while also blending information from previous frames.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
3D World was 720p.

Still, I felt the opposite way about Odyssey's visuals when I had a look at 3D World trailers and gameplay yesterday - 3D World is way behind visually and technologically from Odyssey.

Not only is Odyssey indeed rendering vaster worlds with a much, much higher draw distance, but it also has a completely free camera, higher-poly objects and characters, more advanced shaders and a higher variety of shaders, far more advanced lighting, actual dynamic cast shadows from the environment and objects (Captain Toad had a bit of this, 3D World has none of this), and higher resolution textures that still look crisp in docked mode at 800-900p.

This all probably explains why Odyssey renders in 640 x 720 in portable mode, while also blending information from previous frames.

I still feel IQ was a bit higher in 3D Mario World and actually shader complexity and higher mesh density and more foliage and thin object rendered at a farther draw distance provide a nice explanation... regardless of the minor resolution bump (even a 1080p framebuffer would have not changed much) the lack of high quality edge and surface shaders AA makes a more advanced image seem more shimmery (and to some lower quality as a result).

The game, even on docked mode, does seem to employ another clever trick to reduce load and keep the framerate up: when Mario or some objects are occluded and/or too close to the camera the game tries to let you see through them and it does so with a Saturn style fake transparency which is cheaper, more deferred shader friendly, and it lowers both fill rate requirements and shader load as a result (the opaque bits in the “fakely transparent” mesh do occlude fragments behind them).

Wiped89

I've just remembered my biggest criticism of 3D World: because of the fixed camera perspective, it's a NIGHTMARE to judge depth and distances sometimes. I usually had to look at the shadow underneath to try to figure out where I was going to land after a jump, especially on platforms moving toward or away from the camera.

It's not a problem with 3D Land. You can tell the game was designed to be played in 3D on 3DS.

zenspider

I've just remembered my biggest criticism of 3D World: because of the fixed camera perspective, it's a NIGHTMARE to judge depth and distances sometimes. I usually had to look at the shadow underneath to try to figure out where I was going to land after a jump, especially on platforms moving toward or away from the camera.

It's not a problem with 3D Land. You can tell the game was designed to be played in 3D on 3DS.

It's true. 3D World (and Land) also "push" analog inputs to 8-way directions, which helps a lot as long as your mindful of it.

3D Land/World would be stellar candidates for Lucky's Tale style VR platformers.

I still feel IQ was a bit higher in 3D Mario World and actually shader complexity and higher mesh density and more foliage and thin object rendered at a farther draw distance provide a nice explanation... regardless of the minor resolution bump (even a 1080p framebuffer would have not changed much) the lack of high quality edge and surface shaders AA makes a more advanced image seem more shimmery (and to some lower quality as a result).

The game, even on docked mode, does seem to employ another clever trick to reduce load and keep the framerate up: when Mario or some objects are occluded and/or too close to the camera the game tries to let you see through them and it does so with a Saturn style fake transparency which is cheaper, more deferred shader friendly, and it lowers both fill rate requirements and shader load as a result (the opaque bits in the “fakely transparent” mesh do occlude fragments behind them).

Good shout about the transparencies, I'd already forgotten that they were also used in MGS V probably due to the same reason.

This entire thread about the tech in Odyssey is a worthy read: https://twitter.com/chriswade__/status/924061000919285761

Didn't realise that the water shader actually affects the vertex structure of what are normally flat surfaces of water (like the rooftop swimming pools in Metro Kingdom). That's pretty awesome

This *so* much. As much as I liked 3D World, I found it incredibly difficult to chain-stomp on enemies, particularly flying ones which are designed to be bounced off as you progress through sections of level. Had no such issue with 3D Land, the 3D effect made such a difference in how confident you could be at bouncing off enemies. Remember the propeller Mario levels?

samn

The Switch is even better for local multi than the wii u (portable, comes with two controllers) yet it doesn’t have the breadth of local multi titles. I would love a bunch of ports from the Wii U.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Good shout about the transparencies, I'd already forgotten that they were also used in MGS V probably due to the same reason.

This entire thread about the tech in Odyssey is a worthy read: https://twitter.com/chriswade__/status/924061000919285761

Didn't realise that the water shader actually affects the vertex structure of what are normally flat surfaces of water (like the rooftop swimming pools in Metro Kingdom). That's pretty awesome

Nice find!

Neff

I'd rather have ports of 3D World/Land than the Galaxies. As good as the Galaxies are the '3D' games just did what Mario is good at better.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Finding the paintings, walking around in Peach's castle, and the 64-bit suit unlock makes me want a mario 64 remaster more than anything.

There’s a logic to it, and not enough people played that masterpiece, but after 100%ing it and replaying it like two additional full run through’s afterward...a Deluxe version isn’t really for me.

Gamegeneral

I have a feeling (And I admit that it is based on very little factual evidence) that Nintendo is saving WiiU ports for when the slower months happen next year, like they did with MK8. At least this is my hope, because dang if not.

ubiblu

I hated 3D World / 3D Land with the power of a thousand suns, yet found Odyssey to be one of the best video games of all-time despite the numerous compartmentalised segments. It’s all about variety. 3D world just felt like a collection of challenge rooms and really suffered as a result.

So yeah...if y’all are talking about Wii U ports, I’d nominate Tropical Freeze as the top priority.

Top Bottom