• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: Vivendi takeover of Ubisoft to take place this year

Chobel

aWm83.gif

At least we got some good games out of them already this year. Hopefully Far Cry 5 is deep in development and not affected too much.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, they weren't getting stock to wait forever.

If Ubisoft doesn't want to be bought by Vivendi, their best option is a merger or selling to someone else.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing, but then, I've felt like Ubi's done a lousy job for the last... almost decade, I guess. I kinda welcome the new corporate overlords.

Beaulieu

OP has two quotes, one of them is saying that Vivendi wont necessarily take over if price is too high, yet title of the thread only borrows from first quote ! False news !

Interesting to see what's gonna happen.

Marcel

Wait you mean a hollow, cringeworthy speech by the CEO at E3 actually doesn't do anything in the face of a hostile takeover?

Maybe, but I'm not sure it will end up being a full takeover because of how pricey that will be from both a cost and PR standpoint for Vivendi.

May settle with Vivendi owning around half of Ubisoft shares, but not going all the way. Just my two cents and gut feeling.

Edit: When Vivendi crossed the 25% ownership threshold, it was required under French law to disclose a variety of things. Including whether it will make a bid for full acquisition. It said, at the time in December, that it did NOT intend to do so. Under the same law, this disclosure must be updated *within* 6 months if it changes. So we will hear by around June if that is updated.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20161207006109/en/

Effect

So from my understanding Vivendi getting Ubisoft would likely mean a lot of stuff gets canned. Doing so would likely turn people off from Ubisoft. Exactly why does Vivendi even want Ubisoft? Especially if they're likely to make changes that could have a negative result? Buy them, drain them of whatever value and then drop them once they're no longer worth as much and then move on?

What is the most likely scenario after the takeover?

Hope you like Assassin's creed and Assassin's creed like games because that's all they'll ever make.
Granted most of their games are like that with very cookie cutter elements like "climb the lookout" and "collect this random thing 100 times" but at least they experimented with stuff like child of light, grow home and Rayman legends which will all be gone

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Weird kinda thought the good performance of the latest Ubi releases would make it more difficult for Vivendi to take over this year. Hmm...

Beaulieu

How has Ubi been doing as of late anyways?

I mean, from shareholders perspective.

Hope you like Assassin's creed and Assassin's creed like games because that's all they'll ever make.
Granted most of their games are like that with very cookie cutter elements like "climb the lookout" and "collect this random thing 100 times" but at least they experimented with stuff like child of light, grow home and Rayman legends which will all be gone

are you from the year 2014 ?

Top Bottom