• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sorcery trailer

Katzii

There is in the UK, for pre-order. I'm not sure about other countries. The UK Sorcery bundle also comes with the Navigator controller.

Agent X

Reviews seem all over the place on the game. Even the usage of Move in the game seems to be hotly debated. Game Informer's review particularly struck me, as the reviewer frequently wishes that he could use simple button presses instead of motion gestures.

This is one of those situations where having a demo out in advance of the game's release would have been an incredibly useful tool. It would generate market awareness, and players could try out the Move controls and decide for themselves how well it plays. Unfortunately, Sony in all of their wisdom has once again deemed us unworthy.

Loudninja

Reviews seem all over the place on the game. Even the usage of Move in the game seems to be hotly debated. Game Informer's review particularly struck me, as the reviewer frequently wishes that he could use simple button presses instead of motion gestures.

This is one of those situations where having a demo out in advance of the game's release would have been an incredibly useful tool. It would generate market awareness, and players could try out the Move controls and decide for themselves how well it plays. Unfortunately, Sony in all of their wisdom has once again deemed us unworthy.
Look at TTP impressions nothing wrong with the controls.

The same time happen with SC where people claim it didn't work.

Agent X

Look at TTP impressions nothing wrong with the controls.

The same time happen with SC where people claim it didn't work.

I have seen TTP's impressions from earlier in the thread. More on that later.

If you look at Game Informer's review that I linked to earlier, they had some interesting remarks about the controls.

The basic attack of the game is to wave the wand like you’re hammering a nail into a wall, a motion you repeat constantly. You earn a series of elemental attacks like fire and ice, and they all use this same tiresome hammering motion to cast. There is some light aiming involved, but auto-aim mostly directs your attacks.

Hammering motion? Not sure if that's some sort of an exaggeration here, or if it really is that repetitive. A playable demo would have likely cleared that up.

I'm also not sure that I care much for auto-aim. This is the type of game where showing off the pinpoint accuracy of the Move without an aim assist could have knocked people's socks off. I could understand offering aim assist in an "Easy" or "Children's" skill level, but the default skill level should require the player to aim manually.

To create the potions, you take part in a motion-based minigame that has you pouring, mixing, grinding, and shaking ingredients together in a cauldron. Combining different ingredients to discover new upgrades is an entertaining series of experiments, but I could have done without the pouring-a-bottle pantomime.

See, this sounds cool, but again the review is complaining about having to use motion controls. At this point, I was wondering if he was just coming up with some excuses to bag on Move. If a game requires the move, then frankly I kind of expect stuff like this.

Hitting square would have offered the same excitement (and less fatigue) as waving a wand, and selecting your spells with a d-pad would have been just as exciting as pausing the game and performing specific motions with the Move to inconsistently select new spells.

Really? We've got a game that's supposed to be one of the showpieces for motion control, and you want to reduce one of the key aspects of the game to "hitting square"? Is this the new "Press A to win" meme?

The second part of the sentence bothers me, though, when he talks about "pausing the game" to perform the motions, and then uses the word "inconsistently". Here's another reason why Sony needs to have a demo out. I'd love to judge this for myself. I don't know if this guy's got legitmate complaints, or just wants to condemn Move. A demo would surely clear that up.

What I gather here is that the Game Informer reviewer seems to like the general gameplay, but doesn't care for the controls very much. Some other reviews have quite the opposite reaction, saying that the controls are pretty good but the game itself is rather shallow. Even TTP's first impressions earlier in this thread imply that if this wasn't a "Move enabled" game, it wouldn't be worth bothering with. I'm curious to see his final review.

I'm a believer that motion controls, when implemented properly and appropriately, can truly enhance a game and make it worth playing. I'm concerned, though, when reviewers are weighing the controls against the underlying game engine--for whatever reason. It shouldn't be a good game because of the controls, or despite the controls. The gameplay and the controls should go hand-in-hand.

This notion is especially true in the case of "Move required" games like this one. The only reason anyone should ever think "this game wouldn't be worth playing without Move" is if the Move controls were so intuitive, so accurate, and so appropriate, that you couldn't imagine playing without them. The Move controls should be so good that you wouldn't want to play a game like this any other way. Likewise, the underlying game should be so good that you look at it as more than a mere justification for a peripheral that you bought. You shouldn't want to play it only because it uses Move, you should want to play it because it's a damn good game, that just happens to require Move.

Finally, we come all the way back to the mind-bogglingly dumb decision to release this game with no advance demo. I mean, Sony managed to release early or day-one demos for almost every other major Move-required game, including Start the Party, Kung Fu Rider, TV Superstars, PlayStation Move Heroes, and Medieval Moves: Deadmund's Quest. Yet here we are, on the eve of the release of the undisputed #1 most wanted "Move required" game in the recorded history of the human race, and they couldn't bother to grace us with a demo. Astonishing, simply astonishing.

Is like pressing a button because you shot spells with a little shake of the Move, so when in battle with a lot of enemies the best strategy is shake fiercely the controller. There's no reason to act like a young wizard and move the controller like a real magic wand.

There's no special moves in this game, like some arcane dance or an intricate movement like what the player must do in Black&White to cast spells. Sorcery resolve around a little shake of the PlayStation Move and accordingly there's no strategy involved. I can't believe someone can spend good words about how they implemented the PlayStation Move in this game.

Sorcery could have been a good game to prove that motion controlled gaming still has a chance, but...

Drink potion is cool, but try this when you are in front of a giant troll who throw you rocks and minions, is not funny, trust me.

Top Bottom