• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sorcery trailer

JebusF

Neo Member

Loudninja

Sorcery Preview: The Wanderer Returns
The motion-controlled spell casting is delightfully intuitive as well. A flick of the wand sends your spell on its way, with an obvious touch of automated aiming helping to bridge any gaps between your intentions and the hardware. Context sensitive moments add new tricks to your arsenal - an upwards flick to levitate obstacles out of the way, or a flamboyant swirl to repair broken bridges - without cluttering up the controls with too many arcane movements
The big change has come in the visual style, which has ditched the cartoony-style Hogwartery of its original incarnation in favour of a more stylised look. It's all immensely charming, calling to mind Fable and Codemasters' sorely underrated Overlord series. Locations run the expected gamut from bright countryside and gloomy crypts to quaint towns and ominous mountains and while there's not much freedom to roam, there are enough gentle environmental puzzles and hidden chests along the way to ensure that these are more engaging than simple pathways to the next fight.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-02-sorcery-preview-the-wanderer-returns

I have no idea why he is talking about sales in a preview.

Loudninja

OPM UK gave it a 8/10
A pleasing difficulty curve and the gradual accumulation of a variety of spells and potions means there’s always a new addition to an intuitive control system and another pleasing sense of power.”

I cant post the link because its a scan.

Just noticed this at Amazon:

Buy Sorcery, Get Nav Controller for $14.99
To receive the PlayStation Move Navigation Controller for $14.99 when you purchase Sorcery, click here. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com, while supplies last. Limit one per customer. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time. This offer will be extended to all existing pre-orders via promotional credit that will be e-mailed by May 16, 2012.

So I guess you don't like it?

Under embargo until the 21st, so can't give deep amount of text about the game, but it's a interesting game that's not all there at some points. I think TTP posted some hands-on impressions awhile ago from a preview event and really nailed what I'm feeling with the retail build.

Loudninja

Under embargo until the 21st, so can't give deep amount of text about the game, but it's a interesting game that's not all there at some points. I think TTP posted some hands-on impressions awhile ago from a preview event and really nailed what I'm feeling with the retail build.
Oh I consider that good than. ;)

ssowinski

Looks good to me. Kinda hard to find things to play in front of the kids that suits everyone.

Surely better than Deadmund's Quest, which they play by themselves now =[

tha_devil

Hi Guys, i received sorcery press kit.

9mkjZl.jpg

zBLABl.jpg

gpiKhl.jpg

NkcYCl.jpg

oAIWfl.jpg

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Press kit looks amazing. I'm almost done with the game too; would have finished it but my right arm is kinda sore right now. :p

Carl

That is one awesome press kit. Press always get the best stuff!

My PSN preorder is downloaded on my PS3 ready for release day :) Looking good so far, and will be good to whack the Move out again.

Loudninja

OPM UK review details form gamefaq

- Story feels like a classic Disney territory
- Easy adventure on the eyes
- “Accompanied by a scattering of Celtic symbols and tartan, and a rollicking folky soundtrack, it’s a uniquely stylish fairy tale – so long as you pretend not to hear the American accents.”
- Different kind of Move experience
- “An experimental wave of the physical wand results in a pleasing mirroring between you and the rogue apprentice.”
- Firing a spell is satisfying
- Controller knows where you want it to go
- Many enemies to defeat and puzzles to solve
- Difficulty curve works well in the game
- Get access to spells and potions gradually, giving you more options with the controls
- Controls work like “a joy”
- “The Move wand even does what it’s always threatened to and replicates the colour of whatever tool you are using on screen”
- Hidden areas to explore
- Chests of unique items
- Brew potions
- Will appeal to young and old players
- “… Move has finally found its happily ever after”
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997846-sorcery/62844609

Sorcery PS3 Gameplay First 10 Minutes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuhCvrcPMDw&feature=related

A youtube review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3tbisrIf7U

spoilers of course

Georgious

Banned
Yeah, I bought Move the day it came out based on the trailers for this game. It's nice to finally have the game come out a year later!

Same here - but you never know with the Move. I'm wondering if the pre-purchase option on PSN is because they wanted to lock in sales before reviews came out. Good to see a few UK reviews are liking it.

Does anybody know if its also $40 on PSN?

Figured I should write some impressions, so here we go:

To be frank, I don't think it is a good game. The Move implementation is novel and sometimes even clever, but the game design is boring and extremely simplistic.

Most of the puzzles in the game boils down to you casting a spell either in combination with a object in the game (like shooting through a pit of fire in order to light something on fire), affecting the environment (shooting ice on water) or combining two spells. The game is very rarely clever, and most of the time it feels like a mix of God of War design philosophy mixed with long distance combat.

I know that sounds cool, but it really isn't. The aspects taken from God of War is the arena focused combat scenarios, the extremely simple "puzzles" and the simplistic upgrade path structure. This is first and foremost a kids game, and I think it as such can entertain a lot, since it has a bit of freedom with combining spells and using them on enemies, but it's not that demanding for younger players. If you come into this expecting Zelda with Harry Potter you will be very disappointed. It's closer to God of War then anything else. But I must say, the combat gets much more interested after the first few hours, when you get the ability to due to actual useful combinations when fighitng enemies. But the game takes forever to let you get to that point, and I had lost most of my interest when it finally happened.

In regards to Move implementation I feel it's up and down a lot. I personally had a lot of problems shooting enemies that were above me on ledges and such, and doing curved shots to the left also proved to be a challenge for me (right side, no problem). Most of the Move gestures are extremely simplistic and there's really nothing in here that feels like it's doing something that a Wii with MotionPlus could not pull off as well.

The best part of the Move implementation for me was choosing spells. Something that is really snappy and became one of the funnest parts of the game. Especially since the combat seems to have been given a lot of attention in terms of freezing enemies solid and then shattering them with a different spell and the general focus on combining spells. Enemy variaty doesn't really support the amount of combinations you can do, and I personally just ended up with a combo of spells that suited me, and made me feel overpowered. I was never challenged to think outside the box in terms of spell use, and I never felt like the game wanted me to be smart about using spells.

As soon as the novelty of being a Move enabled wizard left me, I started to see the simplistic gamedesign and overall unimpressive leveldesign, and that really made me look at the game in a bad light. It's not "the worst game ever" but it is a above average experience, that is okay, but nothing mindblowing. If this game was not a first party thing, it wouldn't have gotten this amount of attention it has been given.

As I said in another thread, this is a game that is going to have people that either love it or hate it. Some will fall in love with the concept of spells and using motion controls for that, others will not find the combat or overall design compelling and not enjoy it at all. I really hope Sony throws out a demo for it, since I think it's a game you need to give a go for yourself and see what box you fall in.

Carl

Reviews i have read sound really cool to me. Should be good. Can't wait to give it a go.

Someone needs to do an OT too.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I read several 9/10 review this morning, can't recall the sites. Seems to be mixed reviews, but mostly positive. Given it is a Move only game and people love to hate motion controls, this means it is probably a good game.

zroid

Banned
WOW @ that press kit. DAMN

Reviews are about what I expected. They're not bad really, but still disappointing for a game that's supposed to have been the cornerstone of an entire piece of hardware. I guess I'll stick to the still-decent Sports Champions.

Played almost the entire game, really boring experience with lousy gameplay and a strange Move support: shake the wand is like pressing a button. There's no awesome complicated spell to activate by some funky gestures, you only need to shake a bit the Move, and in the most chaotic battle you can simply flap the controller 'till every enemy died or you arm drop on the ground.

zroid

Banned
Dtoid review by GAF's favourite Jim Sterling: 6/10

Jim Sterling said:
...Sorcery is not without its fun. At times, the frantic fighting can get a little exhilarating, and one can't help but love summoning a whirlwind, setting it on fire, and shooting the defenseless monsters trapped within the blazing storm. I also love how, for once, the colorful ball on the end of the PS Move actually corresponds to the gameplay. For instance, if you shake a health potion, the ball will glow a soft pink and gradually darken to a deep red, simulating the potion itself as it mixes and becomes consumable. Different potions and activities will cause the Move to glow in various colors, which may only be a minor aesthetic detail, but remains genuinely amusing...

...For those desperate to use their Move controllers in something exclusively centered around the Move, Sorcery provides a few hours of inanity that can be gratifying, if in a slightly underwhelming way. Still, the game's chaotic camera and unwieldy controls can frustrate, not to mention the alarming tendency for the PS Move to need consistent recalibration. Had more been done with its most promising features, and had it dropped the arrogant insistence on using gestures for almost everything, Sorcery could have been the hybrid of old and new game design that Sony promised. Instead, we're left with a game that, for all its possibilities, simply lacks the imagination to step beyond the same old experiences we've had before, along with the same old problems.

The underlined bit sounds seriously awesome, though, I have to admit.

GamerSciz

I have heard mixed things about this game. Some low scores and some great scores. I haven't tried it yet but considering I have the MOVE I think I should give it a whirl (pun intended).

Top Bottom