• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

KurowaSan

comedy bomb said:
So since I updated the firmware is that gonna negate my ability to play imports?

If you have the HomeBrew Channel installed, Gecko OS still works to play imports, as long as the game works with it, that is. I think you won't be able to use Anyregion Changer to change the region completely though, as the new firmware won't allow you to install faked-signed firmwares, at least for now.

KurowaSan said:
If you have the HomeBrew Channel installed, Gecko OS still works to play imports, as long as the game works with it, that is. I think you won't be able to use Anyregion Changer to change the region completely though, as the new firmware won't allow you to install faked-signed firmwares, at least for now.

I hope I didn't screw myself out of being able to play that Capcom vs game. It was the whole reason I installed the homebrew in the first place : /

markatisu

comedy bomb said:
I hope I didn't screw myself out of being able to play that Capcom vs game. It was the whole reason I installed the homebrew in the first place : /

You should be fine, as far as I know Gecko OS still works its just the reboot function that has a problem. I used it last night and it seemed to work OK and its reported to work under the new firmware (as long as you have the Homebrew Channel)

MoogPaul

markatisu said:
You should be fine, as far as I know Gecko OS still works its just the reboot function that has a problem. I used it last night and it seemed to work OK and its reported to work under the new firmware (as long as you have the Homebrew Channel)

what exactly is the difference between the reboot function and the launcher?

Linkhero1

MoogPaul said:
Nothing really, they both do the same thing. Rebooter, reboots the system to be in "region free" mode as far as I know.

Edit: Some Nintendo Gamecube games won't work for me unless I use rebooter though. Naruto 4 for GCN is one of those games. I'm not sure about Wii games though since Naruto EX 3 and Tatsunoko don't come until December for me.

MoogPaul

Linkhero1 said:
Nothing really, they both do the same thing. Rebooter, reboots the system to be in "region free" mode as far as I know.
well why would someone prefer one over the other? or does either of them require the USB dongle?

MoogPaul said:
They use different methods to play imports. My guess is that the launcher reads and boots the disc directly from the program itself, bypassing the region checks completely whereas the rebooter starts the firmware up so that the Wii will run the games "natively" (without intervention from any homebrew program).

Some import games will work via one method but not the other.

markatisu

Linkhero1 said:
Edit: Some Nintendo Gamecube games won't work for me unless I use rebooter though. Naruto 4 for GCN is one of those games. I'm not sure about Wii games though since Naruto EX 3 and Tatsunoko don't come until December for me.

Well Naruto 4 is a documented problem child, not sure what it is about that game

I think Capcom vs Tasunoko will work just fine for everyone, I do not see any huge problems coming around unless there is some new firmware update between now and then

But just to be safe I think those that imported/preordered it should really not update anything till its been confirmed whether it works. Unless Nintendo releases some fantastic firmware (like the one that enables the SD card)

People ran the last update and went through headaches when there was no real reason to (less than 2 days later the patched Wii Shop Channel update was available on Wiibrew)

Linkhero1

markatisu said:
Well Naruto 4 is a documented problem child, not sure what it is about that game

I think Capcom vs Tasunoko will work just fine for everyone, I do not see any huge problems coming around unless there is some new firmware update between now and then

But just to be safe I think those that imported/preordered it should really not update anything till its been confirmed whether it works. Unless Nintendo releases some fantastic firmware (like the one that enables the SD card)

People ran the last update and went through headaches when there was no real reason to (less than 2 days later the patched Wii Shop Channel update was available on Wiibrew)
Well Naruto 4 is the only GCN import I play xD. I doubt TvC will have any problems, but Naruto may. I don't know why lol.

MoogPaul

I was thinking more along the lines of Disaster for the time being. Any reports on how the PAL version runs on NA Wiis?

So I managed to "fix" my Wii after being dumb and getting the latest homebrew-blocking update from Nintendo...Although the apps I'm using so far were not affected (namely the Homebrew Channel and Gecko OS, which worked except for the rebooter - which now works again...), I really didn't like the idea of having a crippled unit, so I choosed to take the risk and downgrade it, using a reportedly reliable method, which is the topic of a mega-thread on GBAtemp.net.
Process went really smoothly, and the fact is that everything seems to work fine so far, so here's hoping things stay that way.

Linkhero1

Hehe I figured how to get Naruto 4 for GC to work with GeckoOS launcher :D

In case anyone cares:

1. First launch the game using GeckoOS
  2. Once you reach the main screen DO NOT press start
  3. Take the disc out of your Wii
  4. Place it back into your Wii
  5. Press start and enjoy Naruto 4 :D

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I've just been getting into the Wii homebrew scene, but....

o_O @ what I've been reading about BootMii.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand, one advantage is that BootMii would allow custom firmwares and IOSes to be run without a trace on the Wii.

Since it runs before the IOS even loads, BootMii could theoretically run a shell of the currently installed IOS but with certain extensions or modifications. In other words, as far as the wii is concerned, and as far as Ninendo's system updates could tell, the wii would be running Nintendo's 3.3U, but every time BootMii is used, it would run a 3.3 based custom IOS in a shell environment, undetectable, and possible to switch on and off without actually modifying the system stored in memory provided by Nintendo.

Basically, it would allow all the functionality of custom IOSes without leaving any traces to Nintendo.

markatisu

Linkhero1 said:
Hehe I figured how to get Naruto 4 for GC to work with GeckoOS launcher :D

In case anyone cares:

1. First launch the game using GeckoOS
  2. Once you reach the main screen DO NOT press start
  3. Take the disc out of your Wii
  4. Place it back into your Wii
  5. Press start and enjoy Naruto 4 :D

Thats hilarious, it reminds me of the old tricks like blowing on your NES cartridge to get it to work :lol

Wonder why that works, maybe it re-reads the disc or something. But hey if it works it works!

Moogpaul said:
I was thinking more along the lines of Disaster for the time being. Any reports on how the PAL version runs on NA Wiis?

As far as I know both the JP and UK version of Day of Disaster runs fine. The only thing I have heard is that sometimes there is a longer loading time in the UK version vs the JP but that could just be those persons Wii (they may have one that has the dirty laser that effects games like SSBB)

Linkhero1

markatisu said:
Thats hilarious, it reminds me of the old tricks like blowing on your NES cartridge to get it to work :lol

Wonder why that works, maybe it re-reads the disc or something. But hey if it works it works!
I've read up on it. The reason the game itself doesn't work at first is because the Wii is trying to read it as an North American NSTC game. When you take it out and reinsert it, for some reason it doesn't read it that way and works.

Threi

notag
*edit* i guess its old. GeexBox is up on HBB.

*edit #2* liero is an awesome PC game, everybody go download Wiiero NAO.

markatisu

Linkhero1 said:
I've read up on it. The reason the game itself doesn't work at first is because the Wii is trying to read it as an North American NSTC game. When you take it out and reinsert it, for some reason it doesn't read it that way and works.

I figured it was something like that, still cool if it works.

New Amiga emulator and updates to mplayer were released today at Wiibrew

Here's hoping that someone who updated their Wii to 3.4 imports the Capcom vs game and confirms that it works. I'm too poor to eat an $80 risk, and a little too technologically retarded to hack the Wii back to 3.3 :lol

CTLance

jrricky said:
why the hell cant i go into the homebrew browser. It keeps saying its not a valid wii application. :mad:
You updated the Homebrew channel to the most recent version without updating the homebrew browser first. The newest HBC update added much more stringent checks to the elf loader without any warning. (Elf is one of the executeable file formats, the other one being dol) The result of that is that many programs won't load anymore and need to be recompiled/repackaged. Could have been handled better, but whatever.

So... go get the newest hbb build. You'll need to install it yourself, which involves unpacking the new hbb and copying the folder containing boot.dol over to the apps folder on the SD card (after deleting the old one).

I wonder how long it'll be before there's another workaround for homebrew. I enjoy having it, but I fear it's inevitable that I mess up my ability to play imports.

On another note, does the Gecko OS allow for Gamecube imports to be played? I always wanted to try Doshin the Giant, and if I'm not mistaken there was an English/Pal release. :)

Linkhero1

comedy bomb said:
I wonder how long it'll be before there's another workaround for homebrew. I enjoy having it, but I fear it's inevitable that I mess up my ability to play imports.

On another note, does the Gecko OS allow for Gamecube imports to be played? I always wanted to try Doshin the Giant, and if I'm not mistaken there was an English/Pal release. :)
Don't worry, there's always a work around these updates. Also GCN games should work and if they don't refer to my post about Naruto 4 for GCN. :)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm on 3.3U with a patched Wii Shop Channel. Tales of Symphonia did NOT prompt me to update to 3.4U.

:)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Oh, really? Huh.
Well, then I'm on "vanilla" 3.3U (the one that hit long ago) with the unofficial Wii Shop Channel patch. Starting up ToS didn't prompt me to do any update from the disc.

markatisu

comedy bomb said:

Doshin works just fine using GCBooter http://wiibrew.org/wiki/GCBooter

I loaded up my import copy I got from France in 2003, its an interesting game

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I updated my Wii a few weeks back to the latest update just before I decided dto get into the homebrew scene.

I've been debating whether or not to try downgrading or just wiat for the update to become completely obsolete in all homebrew apps, including channels :lol

Yes. It's so easy to do, I even managed to do it. :lol

On a side note, I see there is a new Nintendo channel update. Anyone know if it's safe to download?

Caj814

So any reason to hold my order for Tatsunoko vs Capcom if Homebrew is my only means to play it?I know a couple of games force you to update but I was wondering if loading it through the homebrew skips the update and goes straight to the game?

so, with the updates happening, should i buy Zelda TP again, or rent it? how often is the original game needed?

I just installed the HBC, but have not installed Gecko or anything else yet.

later

biggyfries said:
so, with the updates happening, should i buy Zelda TP again, or rent it? how often is the original game needed?

I just installed the HBC, but have not installed Gecko or anything else yet.

HBC has an update function inside it, so once you have it installed you don't need Zelda any more.

DunpealD

Just bought a new game and when I want to start the disc it prompts me to update. Are there any dangers I have to look out for? Can I install it?

I'm new to this whole Wii Homebrew thing and don't want to brick my Wii.

markatisu

DunpealD said:
Just bought a new game and when I want to start the disc it prompts me to update. Are there any dangers I have to look out for? Can I install it?

I'm new to this whole Wii Homebrew thing and don't want to brick my Wii.

Depends on what game you are talking about and what update, you need to be more specific

On that note, I was reading that Animal Crossing Wii (released earlier this week at some stores by mistake) has a firmware update (I guess to use Wii Speak)

So we may have more "issues" creeping up with HB applications depending on what Animal Crossing's update provides

DunpealD

markatisu said:
Depends on what game you are talking about and what update, you need to be more specific

On that note, I was reading that Animal Crossing Wii (released earlier this week at some stores by mistake) has a firmware update (I guess to use Wii Speak)

So we may have more "issues" creeping up with HB applications depending on what Animal Crossing's update provides

It's Wii Music :lol but I'm not really sure what kind of update it is.

lopaz

Banned
I only just installed homebrew channel, and a few apps don't work. The one about blood and bunnies crashes the system, commander keen won't go past the menu screen, Tyrian says "not a valid wii application", and the headtracking demo won't load. Could this be anything to do with the Nintendo Channel update? I installed the ios51 thing to update the firmware without breaking homebrew if that helps.

yoopoo

Banned
lopaz said:
I only just installed homebrew channel, and a few apps don't work. The one about blood and bunnies crashes the system, commander keen won't go past the menu screen, Tyrian says "not a valid wii application", and the headtracking demo won't load. Could this be anything to do with the Nintendo Channel update? I installed the ios51 thing to update the firmware without breaking homebrew if that helps.
Thats an issue with HBC .9 - use version .8

yoopoo

Banned
SNES9x 007 http://code.google.com/p/snes9x-gx/downloads/list

added: SDHC support
added: SD/USB hot-swapping
added: zoom saving
added: IPS/UPS/PPF patch support
added: Qoob modchip support (thanks emukidid!)
added: Added console/remote power button support (Wii only)
added: Added reset button support - resets game (Wii only)
changed: Settings file is now named settings.xml and is stored in the same folder as the DOL - eg: apps/vbagx/settings.xml (Wii only)
fixed: swc, sfc file support
fixed: inverted sound channels
fixed: some game crashes
fixed: snapshot saving for games with SPC7110, BS, DSP, or CX4
fixed: justifier support
fixed: superscope turbo button
fixed: widescreen support
fixed: ActRaiser 2 issues
fixed: Invalid memory accesses in C4 and OBC1. MMX3 Toxic Seahorse stage now can be emulated with HDMA. (zones)
fixed: Updated snapshot to prevent desync. Added some variables related to APU and HDMA. (gocha)
fixed: zoom issues (thanks eke-eke!)
fixed: original modes (thanks eke-eke!)
fixed: vertical scaling for filtered/unfiltered modes (thanks eke-eke!)

Visual Boy Advance GX 1.0.5 http://code.google.com/p/vba-wii/downloads/list

SDHC works now
Frameskipping tweaks
Fixed snapshot loading issue
Full widescreen support
Changed scaling
Zooming fixed (thanks eke-eke!)
PAL timing changes - EURGB60 mode forced
Wii - Added console/remote power button support
Wii - Added reset button support (resets game)
Wii - Settings file is now named settings.xml and is stored in the same folder as the DOL (eg: apps/vbagx/settings.xml)
GameCube - Added DVD motor off option
GameCube - Fixed GBA loading issue

FCE Ultra GX 2.0.7 http://code.google.com/p/fceugc/downloads/list

Video code rewritten - now has original, unfiltered, filtered modes
Zoom option
16:9 widescreen support
Full widescreen support
SDHC support
SD/USB hot-swapping
A/B rapid-fire
Turbo option
Video cropping (overscan hiding) option (thanks yxkalle!)
Palette changing fixed
Fixed audio 'popping' issue
Wii - Added console/remote power button support
Wii - Added reset button support (resets game)
Wii - Settings file is now named settings.xml and is stored in the same folder as the DOL (eg: apps/fceugx/settings.xml)
GameCube - Added DVD motor off option

Ookami-kun said:
Say, is it safe to update the Wii if it has a modchip?
i have Wiikey for playing imports, but it no longer works for newer imported games (Wii Music, Animal Crossing) but works with others (Japanese Mario Sluggers for example)

Top Bottom