• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
DefectiveReject said:
i have Wiikey for playing imports, but it no longer works for newer imported games (Wii Music, Animal Crossing) but works with others (Japanese Mario Sluggers for example)

Mine still works for Wii Music, it just says I need an update so I boot via Gecko OS instead. Hmm suppose thats not really working then :/

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I've read stuff that updating to 3.3u is safe (since most of the problem comes from people not changing the parental controls).

d+pad

I know I read somewhere on GAF recently that you can used Gecko OS to play Animal Crossing without doing the update. Can anyone give me more information on that? I'm planning on buying AC soon, but I don't wanna update my Wii (3.3U right now). Thanks for any help!

Benedict

How much free space do you need on the wii for this?
Do I need to clean my fridge?
Have only a few blocks left.

How large must the SD card be when you install all of this?

Schrade

So I have a friend's Wii that he wants me to hack so he can use the Homebrew channel and media players to play videos/dvds/etc.

What is the latest firmware I can update to and still install all the homebrew goodness? He has never updated his firmware I don't think so it's probably pretty old.

eznark

Banned
So I got sick of looking at my Wii doing nothing and decided to finally try and get the homebrew working just to give me more reason to mess around with it.

I followed all the steps at Wiibrew.org to try and do the Twilight Hack, however I get a disc read error when trying to load the save.

Is this a common issue? Any help? Thanks in advance.

(And yes, the game worked fine with my old TP save before I tried this).

MoogPaul

eznark said:
So I got sick of looking at my Wii doing nothing and decided to finally try and get the homebrew working just to give me more reason to mess around with it.

I followed all the steps at Wiibrew.org to try and do the Twilight Hack, however I get a disc read error when trying to load the save.

Is this a common issue? Any help? Thanks in advance.

(And yes, the game worked fine with my old TP save before I tried this).

well, what firmware is on your wii? Twilight hack doesn't work on 3.4

eznark

Banned
3.3, sorry, should have mentioned that. I didn't update this week because I was waiting on the game to be returned.

eznark

Banned
Thanks, I'll try that. I didn't do step one (I didn't move a TP save to my SD card) is that necessary, it wasn't on the Wiki?

Linkhero1

eznark said:
Thanks, I'll try that. I didn't do step one (I didn't move a TP save to my SD card) is that necessary, it wasn't on the Wiki?
Yes it is, just follow those steps and you're set for homebrew.

Schrade

I followed all the instructions except they left one thing off - you need to copy the Twilight Hack save file from the SD card to your Wii's internal memory. Then you can load the save. Not sure why that step is not there. (Unless there's a way to read from SD cards, which I dunno how to since I don't use Wiis and just hacked a friend's for him)

Also, how would one go about finding Firmware 3.3U downloading it and installing it on a 3.1 Wii?

When updating your system via games, like Wii Fit, it seems to write something to the system, but doesn't interfere with homebrew channels or anything. Is it safe to assume that the update is not actually doing anything core, but just updating certain files that make Wii Fit function?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Dragona Akehi said:
Welp, the WiiBrew gang has already bypassed Nintendo's attempt to block homebrew with Twilight Hack 0.1beta2, now for System Menu 3.4!

However, it says that it'll only work once, after being copied. So make sure you install HBC!
Nintendo loses.
Again.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
can anyone link me to the fully working gba emulator? i have like three gba emulators in my homebrew channel and none of them seem to work flawlessly. one plays too fast, one too slow, one with funny colors, etc.

GaimeGuy

beelzebozo said:
can anyone link me to the fully working gba emulator? i have like three gba emulators in my homebrew channel and none of them seem to work flawlessly. one plays too fast, one too slow, one with funny colors, etc.
Just use the homebrew browser and download Visual Boy Advance GX. It's the best emulator available at the moment

of course, the PC emulators are better, but VBA GX is getting faster with every update. I can play Mother 3 without lagging in every battle now, for instance! :D

radiantdreamer said:
Nintendo really needs to shift their focus in stopping PIRACY, not homebrew.

Well the problem is (as Marcan and bushing have written in their blogposts), that homebrew has been enabling piracy, unfortunately, which is why Nintendo have kept at the Twilight Hack.

However, each new release of HBC has them making it harder for pirates to hijack for their usage (WADs etc).

Which is a good thing for all of us.

suikodan

I haven't followed the Wii HB scene actively except that I have one question:

Should I update my HBC or the Wii's firmware first to ensure that I keep the HBC working?

IIRC, it seems that if HBC is installed, it doesn't matter if you update your Wii firmware, it will still work except for the updates.

Anyways, I'm not online anymore with it and it's the "take with me" machine when I go see friends who might have fun playing Wii Sports or Mario Galaxy.

So has anyone had problems playing Animal Crossing through Gecko OS? I hate to update my Wii, and if it runs without any issues this may be the surefire way to play games without updating.

Dragona Akehi said:
Well the problem is (as Marcan and bushing have written in their blogposts), that homebrew has been enabling piracy, unfortunately, which is why Nintendo have kept at the Twilight Hack.

However, each new release of HBC has them making it harder for pirates to hijack for their usage (WADs etc).

Which is a good thing for all of us.
So in a way, the HBC channel team have been more effective at stopping piracy than Nintendo...? :p

suikodan said:
I haven't followed the Wii HB scene actively except that I have one question:

Should I update my HBC or the Wii's firmware first to ensure that I keep the HBC working?

IIRC, it seems that if HBC is installed, it doesn't matter if you update your Wii firmware, it will still work except for the updates.

Anyways, I'm not online anymore with it and it's the "take with me" machine when I go see friends who might have fun playing Wii Sports or Mario Galaxy.

Don't update. If you need to update the Wii Shop or Mii Channel, use the homebrew applications that update them separately.

Whenever you're going to load a game that has updates (such as Animal Crossing Wii), you'll see the Disc Channel saying "Wii Update X.XX" in the window. Just use GeckoOS to load the game and bypass the firmware. (I've been online with the game too, so no problems there either). It doesn't take long for it to load either, (about as long as the Disc Channel takes anyway).

I realise this seems very complicated: it is. Right now.

However, we're waiting on Marcan and Bushing to complete BootMii, which will let us run homebrew without worrying anymore (hopefully) about future System Updates. It works by hooking into the boot sequence, that Nintendo really can't fix without either a motherboard revisions (making all existing Wiis safe) or updating boot2, which is apparently very risky to flash (why would they want to risk bricking Wiis that have never even heard of homebrew?).

comedy bomb said:
So has anyone had problems playing Animal Crossing through Gecko OS? I hate to update my Wii, and if it runs without any issues this may be the surefire way to play games without updating.

Yes, see above. WiiSpeak works, online works, and with the Wii Shop updated I linked to, I'm able to connect to the store, buy or redeem things like the WiiSpeak Channel code I received with AC Wii.

Anony

DefectiveReject said:
i have Wiikey for playing imports, but it no longer works for newer imported games (Wii Music, Animal Crossing) but works with others (Japanese Mario Sluggers for example)
why? what's wrong with it

is there a list of homebrew that is compatible with the newest HBC

later

Wow at nintendo's incompetence in stopping the twilight hack. Are they using interns to code this or something?

GaimeGuy

later said:
Wow at nintendo's incompetence in stopping the twilight hack. Are they using interns to code this or something?
why don't you take a stab at fixing a buffer overflow exploit in game code printed on a read-only game disc?

Is there any hard evidence to support the "improved SD r/w and disc reading" claims Nintendo made about the update?

Also Mahjongg co-op and Vs. play have been improved and implemented, respectively. Now it just needs some arteests to make a few new tilesets.

d+pad

Dragona Akehi said:
Don't update. If you need to update the Wii Shop or Mii Channel, use the homebrew applications that update them separately.

Whenever you're going to load a game that has updates (such as Animal Crossing Wii), you'll see the Disc Channel saying "Wii Update X.XX" in the window. Just use GeckoOS to load the game and bypass the firmware. (I've been online with the game too, so no problems there either). It doesn't take long for it to load either, (about as long as the Disc Channel takes anyway).

Hey there Dragona: Do you need to update the Mii Channel for Animal Crossing Wii? I've already updated the Shop Channel, but have waited on the Mii Channel because I'm not sure why I would need to update it.

Other than that, I'm glad we can use GeckoOS to boot AC Wii. I don't have it yet, but shoudl have it in the next few days and I certainly don't want to have to wait until after the Thanksgiving break to play the game :)

d+pad said:
Hey there Dragona: Do you need to update the Mii Channel for Animal Crossing Wii? I've already updated the Shop Channel, but have waited on the Mii Channel because I'm not sure why I would need to update it.

Other than that, I'm glad we can use GeckoOS to boot AC Wii. I don't have it yet, but shoudl have it in the next few days and I certainly don't want to have to wait until after the Thanksgiving break to play the game :)

Nope, the Mii Channel update isn't required. I only did it today in fact, and I've had AC since last Thursday.

MoogPaul

I know not everyone agrees with this, but I have had HBC for a while now and have done the updates from nintendo. I have had no problem with them so far.

So it's cool to download to 3.4 update if I already have HBC installed? That's good considering I wanted to play Castlevania Judgement online at one point.

MoogPaul

Linkzg said:
So it's cool to download to 3.4 update if I already have HBC installed? That's good considering I wanted to play Castlevania Judgement online at one point.

Like I said above, I'm not going to suggest anyone does it since everyone else thinks it is a bad idea, but I did it, and everything still works the way it should.

Linkzg said:

No, it isn't. Read my post above. Update Shop/Mii Channels separately, use GeckoOS to load games with firmware (Judgement will go online).

MoogPaul said:
Like I said above, I'm not going to suggest anyone does it since everyone else thinks it is a bad idea, but I did it, and everything still works the way it should.

The reason why people are saying not to update is that 3.4 includes the 'revision' to the Nintendo TOS, which states they can stealth update your unit, which could eventually break HBC.

GaimeGuy said:
why don't you take a stab at fixing a buffer overflow exploit in game code printed on a read-only game disc?
It's not like the game disc being read-only is a problem. They just need to make the main menu able to correctly identify the TP saves that have invalid data that causes an overflow. They're just... not doing it well enough.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
GaimeGuy said:

well for starters they could allow software patches for on-disc games like, uh, i don't know, certain other consoles allow?

they could actually put the TP hack check in the OS SD card->internal memory copying code. they could put it in the disc channel launcher.

it's ABSOLUTELY nintendo's incompetence if they've engineered an OS that they have no control over. neither the 360 nor the ps3 have been hacked like this.

I'm looking to import Tales of Symphonia as I don't think it'll get a quick European release and I'm just wondering if anyone else has successfully done this? I tried looking around and it seems like GeckoOS is good enough to run almost every game fine, but I was just hoping for some confirmation before I take the plunge.

Thanks for your help!

larvi

Stumpokapow said:
it's ABSOLUTELY nintendo's incompetence if they've engineered an OS that they have no control over. neither the 360 nor the ps3 have been hacked like this.

Or maybe they feel their best programmers are better utilized writing actual games for their systems rather than security code, unlike Sony/Microsoft. I can't imagine how much money Sony has wasted on PSP firmware development that could have been better spent elsewhere imo.

bryehn

larvi said:
Or maybe they feel their best programmers are better utilized writing actual games for their systems rather than security code, unlike Sony/Microsoft. I can't imagine how much money Sony has wasted on PSP firmware development that could have been better spent elsewhere imo.

Nice troll.

Not really.

GaimeGuy

Stumpokapow said:
well for starters they could allow software patches for on-disc games like, uh, i don't know, certain other consoles allow?

they could actually put the TP hack check in the OS SD card->internal memory copying code. they could put it in the disc channel launcher.

And the homebrew community would simply remove that security check from the Nintendo update and release their own custon update, like they have with other security patches.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Do we know if GeckoOS is fully-featured under 3.4? When 3.4 first hit, I heard rumblings that some features (such as the relauncher) were broken. Are they still broken?

Dragona Akehi said:
Welp, the WiiBrew gang has already bypassed Nintendo's attempt to block homebrew with Twilight Hack 0.1beta2, now for System Menu 3.4!

However, it says that it'll only work once, after being copied. So make sure you install HBC!

This seemed to imply that you only get one shot at it, but that's not quite true. Your Wii will delete the hacked TP save, but you can always drop it back in and re-run the TP hack. So basically, you can only run the TP hack once before losing the save. Unlike the older TP hack where the save stays resident and you can keep on running it without have to copy over the hacked save again.

But yes. Do install the HBC right away. It's definitely worth it. The TP hack is an ugly work-around and best run once and that's it. Especially with this new version.

Top Bottom