• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Origin's Depiction of Cleopatra

Harlequin

So, I'm not entirely sure if this really deserves its own thread or not but I felt like it'd probably just get lost in one of the existing threads. If the mods disagree, feel free to close.

With that out of the way, I am incredibly disappointed with the game's depiction of Cleopatra VII. We've now seen glimpses of both her CG, as well as her in-game model and she just looks all wrong IMO. They've made her adhere far too closely to modern, Western beauty standards, they've made her too pretty in general and her outfit looks too stereotypically Egyptian. Let's have a look at what Cleopatra looks like in the game:

aRh87AW.jpg

Some things to note:
  • Slender figure
  • Small nose
  • Small eyes
  • High, prominent cheekbones
  • Face that would be considered quite pretty by today's standards
  • Outfit that looks very stereotypically Egyptian.
Whoever designed her obviously wanted her to look physically attractive to a modern audience while also feeding into mainstream expectations of what an ancient Egyptian queen should look like. The problem is that, both culturally and also probably genetically (though we do not know for sure who her mother was so it's possible that she was part Egyptian), Cleopatra was more Greek than Egyptian and would've probably only worn garments such as this one for ceremonial and ritualistic purposes. (Of course, it's possible that she'll have more than one outfit in the game but I wouldn't count on it.)

As for them prettifying her, while we do not know for sure what Cleopatra VII looked like, we've got a rough idea thanks to a few depictions on coins and in sculpture. Let's look at the coins first:

E7TotWv.jpg

Some things to note:
  • Large nose (hooked in some depictions)
  • Large, bulging eyes
  • Face looks slightly chubby/has some baby fat
  • Prominent chin
  • Greek hairstyle and royal diadem instead of an Egyptian crown
To be fair, there's some debate going on over how accurate these depictions are. It's possible that Cleopatra's portrait on coins was made to look more masculine on purpose to give her an air of strength and power (as female rulers were not at all common at the time). However, it is noteworthy that many of these features (large nose, bulging eyes, chubby face) can be found in depictions of other Ptolemaic royals so they do seem to have run in the family.

Next, let's look at two busts which are widely thought to be contemporary depictions of Cleopatra VII (or ancient copies thereof):

cZGFDvA.jpg

These certainly seem to be a bit more flattering than the coin portraits and, of course, they are stylised in their own way and shouldn't be taken completely at face value but they still maintain many of the same features. The large eyes and nose, the slight chubbiness/baby fat, etc. The main differences are probably the chin/jawline being softer/less prominent and the nose not being hooked (though, of course, one of them is missing the nose almost entirely so it's hard to tell whether it did or did not feature a hooked nose). Also note the cheekbones not being very prominent.

Regarding her clothing, I'm not an expert on Hellenistic fashion but this is probably closer to what Cleopatra would've actually worn on a day-to-day basis (though, of course, the face and figure are probably a bit off again, as is the backdrop):

xBHfhRl.jpg

Source: https://kelleybean86.deviantart.com/art/Cleopatra-301708027

As you can see, ACO's Cleopatra design does not only not look anything like what the real Cleopatra probably looked like, it also feeds into tired, old stereotypes about her which have little to do with the facts all to try and squeeze her into our society's restrictive, oppressing ideas of beauty. And I could understand the need to maybe pretty her up a little if she were the game's protagonist - attractive characters simply are more marketable - but she isn't. This would've been a great opportunity to break away from all those other mainstream depictions of Cleopatra, to actually educate people on what she may have really looked like but Ubisoft have instead ended up just borrowing those same old stereotypes and that's somewhat disappointing. It also feeds into some of the things Jim Sterling recently noted in his Jimquisition episode about Shelob. It looks like many developers/publishers still have a hard time including female main characters in their games who aren't generically pretty or don't look like supermodels.

Feel free to use this topic to discuss any other historical inaccuracies or things that bother you about AC:O's depiction of the time period and its historical figures, as well as about the general issue of sexed-up/prettified female characters in video games or the general depiction of Cleopatra in mainstream media.

TL;DR: ACO's Cleopatra design is historically inaccurate and too generically pretty/sexed-up.

Eh, this doesn't really strike me as being any different than the last dozen games worth of historical figures reinterpreted to fit what the series wants out of them.

Harlequin

Eh, this doesn't really strike me as being any different than the last dozen games worth of historical figures reinterpreted to fit what the series wants out of them.

I know that this isn't really a first for the series. Brotherhood's depiction of Lucrezia Borgia looked nothing like the contemporary portraits, for example. But just because they've done it before doesn't mean it should necessarily just be shrugged off.

First time depicting an African figure, though. This is relevant. West doing East.

She was the descendant of a line of Greek rulers of ancient Egypt so geo-politically speaking, she may be an African figure but culturally speaking, she was more Greek than anything else.

Venom.

You know what. I went to see a movie called Wonder Woman and the actress who played her wasn't even Greek. OH THE HORROR. I could have cried my eyes out but instead I went in and watched the movie and had a great time.

Historical movies regularly take artistic license in story, character, facts and actors to make a successful movie - accuracy is not the priority. The Assassin's Creed games are so great in bringing to life historical eras and showing us faces from the past. But these games with magic and time travel (of a sort) are not intended to be history books, they are entertainment as such there is no need to make every detail factually correct.

oti

Banned
Soooo what she got the sheelob effect?

No. Cleopatra in AC Origins looks like what people who don't know any better believe Cleopatra looked like, thanks to media depicting her inaccurately.

Grea thread, OP. I'm sure many people don't know this at all.

You know what. I went to see a movie called Wonder Woman and the actress who played her wasn't even Greek. OH THE HORROR. I could have cried my eyes out but instead I went in and watched the movie and had a great time.

If someone like you learned something thanks to this thread, I'd say it was a success.

Savitar

Eh, I got no problem with this. I know it's not likely 100% accurate or anything but neither is playing assassins diving off towers into a bay of hay. And that's all you remembering what happened in the past via a memory machine.

So yeah.

WonderzL

Banned
Congratulations.

Now let's talk about History, ok?

UrbanRats

No. Cleopatra in AC Origins looks like what people who don't know any better believe Cleopatra looked lik, thanks to media depicting her inaccurately.

Assassin's Creed has always been like this.
To a degree, rightly so, since they have to intertwine their silly Templar/Assassin feud within all of history, so it'll end up being comicbook-y anyway.

I don't know why some seem to have the expectations that it's trying to be iron clad historically accurate, perhaps it's the marketing's fault, since they spew that shit every so often, but it's really never been.

Just about every character fits within their historical "persona" more than their historical reality.
That's how they can take history and make more black & white assertion about who is a templar and who is an assassin, for example.

Cleopatra is no different.

Also, this prettyfication, can be somewhat silly at times (take Ilich Ramírez Sánchez in real life, vs his depiction in the TV show) but AC has always been a series with larger than life, flamboyant designs, i mean just look at all the main characters, and so this glorification falls in line with that design principle.
If you want the gritty realization of historical figure, you're looking at the wrong thing.

GeeTeeCee

Put a database entry in the game saying Abstergo Entertainment focus tested her design (assuming they're going down the whole "this is a video game simulation" route again).

SomTervo

Really interesting thread, thanks.

They've gone out of their way to make other characters look true to history throughout the series, IIRC.

Why not Cleo?

To a degree, rightly so, since they have to intertwine their silly Templar/Assassin feud within all of history, so it'll end up being comicbook-y anyway.

I don't know why some seem to have the expectations that it's trying to be iron clad historically accurate, perhaps it's the marketing's fault, since they spew that shit every so often, but it's really never been.

Just about every character fits within their historical "persona" more than their historical reality.
That's how they can take history and make more black & white assertion about who is a templar and who is an assassin, for example.

Nuh, I'm pretty sure they've been pretty accurate with a multitude of historical characters?

Like, it's no biggie, it's still fiction, but a realistically depicted Cleo would be wayyy more interesting.

Skux

Because their depiction of Leonardo da Vinci, George Washington and other historical figures has been so accurate in the past.

oti

Banned

I don't think anyone's angry at Ubisoft or expected any different. Ubisoft is just making another piece of media. New interpretations are fine. Doesn't hurt to show how wrong they are though.

What I don't get are all the knee-jerk reactions like "OH MY GOD WHO CARES YOU IDIOT IT'S JUST A GAME". Those people have no appreciation for the source material and don't care, fine. Just don't be a jerk about it. Not you personally. Just people in general.

G.ZZZ

The big nose is a distinctive trait for a lot of mediterranean people, she looks like a design to be "generally liked" instead of being interesting but whatever, games are garbo in general.

UrbanRats

Nuh, I'm pretty sure they've been pretty accurate with a multitude of historical characters?

Like, it's no biggie, it's still fiction, but a realistically depicted Cleo would be wayyy more interesting.
I'm not debating what would or wouldn't be more interesting, but they've always put the recreation of the mythos before everything else.
They even used the dubious Marie Antoniette "Let them Eat Cake" line, in Unity.

Cleopatra's mythos involves her being one of the most beautiful women in history, so that was probably a design factor.

Harlequin

I've often heard people say that, to them, the AC games are a form of historical sightseeing and certainly, ACO is set during a historical period that not many people know too much about (Ptolemaic Egypt). So while I agree that the game can and should take its creative liberties because, after all, it is not a documentary, the depiction here is so fundamentally off that I think it warrants some criticism/disappointment as many people will end up taking it at face value and all it does is reinforce stereotypes and widely believed falsehoods about a famous historical character. Not to mention that, if Ubisoft didn't want people criticising the historical accuracy of their games, they shouldn't promote them using historians.

Not to mention the second issue I've raised in the OP: that a female character whose historical inspiration probably wouldn't have won any beauty contests in the modern day was unnecessarily sexed up.

Sheytan

First time depicting an African figure, though. This is relevant. West doing East.

Cleopatra was a member of the Ptolemaic dynasty, a Greek family of Macedonian origin that ruled Egypt after Alexander the Great's death during the Hellenistic period. The Ptolemies spoke Greek throughout their dynasty, and refused to speak Egyptian, which is the reason that Greek as well as Egyptian languages were used on official court documents such as the Rosetta Stone. By contrast, Cleopatra did learn to speak Egyptian.

Bunga

Really OP? I mean, I get what you're saying, no it's probably not accurate - but will this have any impact on your enjoyment of the game?

To put it into perspective, you're nitpicking about the realism of the appearance of a historical figure in a franchise which sees the player character strapped into a machine living the memories of your dead ancestors, where you can jump off the top of Big Ben into a cart of hay and survive and where, at least in the first or earlier entries, jumping into water meant instant death.

Realism is not AC's strong point with the possible exception of environment/cities.

nOoblet16

So, I'm not entirely sure if this really deserves its own thread or not but I felt like it'd probably just get lost in one of the existing threads. If the mods disagree, feel free to close.

With that out of the way, I am incredibly disappointed with the game's depiction of Cleopatra VII. We've now seen glimpses of both her CG, as well as her in-game model and she just looks all wrong IMO. They've made her adhere far too closely to modern, Western beauty standards, they've made her too pretty in general and her outfit looks too stereotypically Egyptian.

I want to point this out because it actually implies that being too pretty is synonymous to adhering to western beauty standards.

Venom.

No. Cleopatra in AC Origins looks like what people who don't know any better believe Cleopatra looked like, thanks to media depicting her inaccurately.

If someone like you learned something thanks to this thread, I'd say it was a success.

It's very easy to be condescending to others and trying to present them as stupid and yourself as enlightened simply because you have a different opinion from them. I won't do that back to you, I will just add to my point.

My opinion is that the AC games are not intended to be gritty 100% historically accurate reenactments. They are high concept games with beautiful bright colours. AC: Origins celebrates the era of ancient Egypt. It's a game I play for entertainment. I don't want to an ugly Cleopatra I want to see a Cleopatra that is bold and represents the excitement of the age.

Sygma

Well not too far fetched to say that since this is a mainstream pop game aimed at selling toward a mostly male playerbase, AC's team went for the hot mystical queen who'd swallow twice a newborn Brazzer's actor. Or something.

HeatBoost

You realize that those statues and coins were filtered through the perspective of what people found attractive at the time too, right? It's not like they're photographs.

Having her dress for the runway, though, is just typical, tiresome, horny art direction

IISANDERII

With that out of the way, I am incredibly disappointed with the game's depiction of Cleopatra VII. We've now seen glimpses of both her CG, as well as her in-game model and she just looks all wrong IMO. They've made her adhere far too closely to modern, Western beauty standards, they've made her too pretty in general and her outfit looks too stereotypically Egyptian. Let's have a look at what Cleopatra looks like in the game:

aRh87AW.jpg

Some things to note:
  • Slender figure
  • Small nose
  • Small eyes
  • High, prominent cheekbones
  • Face that would be considered quite pretty by today's standards
  • Outfit that looks very stereotypically Egyptian.
Whoever designed her obviously wanted her to look physically attractive to a modern audience while also feeding into mainstream expectations of what an ancient Egyptian queen should look like. The problem is that, both culturally and also probably genetically (though we do not know for sure who her mother was so it's possible that she was part Egyptian), Cleopatra was more Greek than Egyptian and would've probably only worn garments such as this one for ceremonial and ritualistic purposes. (Of course, it's possible that she'll have more than one outfit in the game but I wouldn't count on it.)

As for them prettifying her, while we do not know for sure what Cleopatra VII looked like, we've got a rough idea thanks to a few depictions on coins and in sculpture. Let's look at the coins first:

E7TotWv.jpg

Some things to note:
  • Large nose (hooked in some depictions)
  • Large, bulging eyes
  • Face looks slightly chubby/has some baby fat
  • Prominent chin
  • Greek hairstyle and royal diadem instead of an Egyptian crown
To be fair, there's some debate going on over how accurate these depictions are. It's possible that Cleopatra's portrait on coins was made to look more masculine on purpose to give her an air of strength and power (as female rulers were not at all common at the time). However, it is noteworthy that many of these features (large nose, bulging eyes, chubby face) can be found in depictions of other Ptolemaic royals so they do seem to have run in the family.

Next, let's look at two busts which are widely thought to be contemporary depictions of Cleopatra VII (or ancient copies thereof):

cZGFDvA.jpg

These certainly seem to be a bit more flattering than the coin portraits and, of course, they are stylised in their own way and shouldn't be taken completely at face value but they still maintain many of the same features. The large eyes and nose, the slight chubbiness/baby fat, etc. The main differences are probably the chin/jawline being softer/less prominent and the nose not being hooked (though, of course, one of them is missing the nose almost entirely so it's hard to tell whether it did or did not feature a hooked nose). Also note the cheekbones not being very prominent.

Regarding her clothing, I'm not an expert on Hellenistic fashion but this is probably closer to what Cleopatra would've actually worn on a day-to-day basis (though, of course, the face and figure are probably a bit off again, as is the backdrop):

xBHfhRl.jpg

Source: https://kelleybean86.deviantart.com/art/Cleopatra-301708027

As you can see, ACO's Cleopatra design does not only not look anything like what the real Cleopatra probably looked like, it also feeds into tired, old stereotypes about her which have little to do with the facts all to try and squeeze her into our society's restrictive, oppressing ideas of beauty. And I could understand the need to maybe pretty her up a little if she were the game's protagonist - attractive characters simply are more marketable - but she isn't. This would've been a great opportunity to break away from all those other mainstream depictions of Cleopatra, to actually educate people on what she may have really looked like but Ubisoft have instead ended up just borrowing those same old stereotypes and that's somewhat disappointing. It also feeds into some of the things Jim Sterling recently noted in his Jimquisition episode about Shelob. It looks like many developers/publishers still have a hard time including female main characters in their games who aren't generically pretty or don't look like supermodels.

Feel free to use this topic to discuss any other historical inaccuracies or things that bother you about AC:O's depiction of the time period and its historical figures, as well as about the general issue of sexed-up/prettified female characters in video games or the general depiction of Cleopatra in mainstream media.

TL;DR: ACO's Cleopatra design is historically inaccurate and too generically pretty/sexed-up.
I can imagine the solution wouldn't be elegant :

"AND THE GREAT BEAUTY CLEOPATRA!!!"(note: Beauty standards were different in this era, do not adjust your television)

Akainu

They've made her adhere far too closely to modern, Western beauty standards, they've made her too pretty in general and her outfit looks too stereotypically Egyptian. Let's have a look at what Cleopatra looks like in the game:

aRh87AW.jpg

Videogames have turned a monster spider into a pretty lady. What were you excepting?

Because their depiction of Leonardo da Vinci, George Washington and other historical figures has been so accurate in the past.

Sure, but Washington and Da Vinci looked like that in the games because that's how the average person pictures them. Not because they want it to be accurate.

And honestly, that's how people picture Cleopatra anyway.

sirap

I like that they didn't make her this ethereal beauty either.

The in-game model had plenty of flaws and imperfections. That's good enough for me.

BluWacky

I'm more ambivalent about this than the OP although I completely understand where they're coming from. One of the things I always teach about Cleopatra is the coinage and her big nose thereupon in terms of understanding how the modern quasi-Roman reception of her as a seductive temptress belies what appears to be reality; however, Assassin's Creed is notoriously fast and loose with history.

With that said, I hadn't really been paying attention to Origins - despite being a thwarted Egyptologist since about the age of seven - and hadn't realised that it was going to be set at the end of the Ptolemaic period. I'm now enormously excited in that I can pretend it's work! I've just read that it's going to cover Caesar at least - does anyone know if it's going to cover the Mark Antony period as well? There are so many great stories that they could use from that period of ancient history...

(it would also be nice if the game is half decent, although I think having played all of the mainline AssCreed games I'm more than a little burnt out on the formula... although am I write that this one's got proper tombs in it again like the Ezio games?)

oti

Banned
It's very easy to be condescending to others and trying to present them as stupid and yourself as enlightened simply because you have a different opinion from them. I won't do that back to you, I will just add to my point.

My opinion is that the AC games are not intended to be gritty 100% historically accurate reenactments. They are high concept games with beautiful bright colours. AC: Origins celebrates the era of ancient Egypt. It's a game I play for entertainment. I don't want to an ugly Cleopatra I want to see a Cleopatra that is bold and represents the excitement of the age.

Your post was just "I don't care". Which is fine, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

And this?

My opinion is that the AC games are not intended to be gritty 100% historically accurate reenactments.

I'm sure OP knows these games aren't 100% historically accurate. No piece of entertainment media is. You don't need to turn OP's "hey guys this is not accurate here's why let's discuss this" into "OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU THINK THIS WELL I DON'T CARE ABOUT WONDER WOMAN".

Top Bottom