• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Thread: Everyone wants it, no one uses it

After five years, Microsoft can finally say the consumer response to Kinect has been positive.

yf2VPeu.gif

The kids and I have fun with it. I can't be shooting dudes in the face when they're around. Plus it gets them off the couch.

Pachimari

I seriously hope they'll make Dance Central backwards compatible.
Or is the new Dance Central for Xbox One just as good or does it lack content?

Plays good due to better response time, comes free in a lot of Kinect bundles too, but you need to pay for additional songs I think.

Alx

Dance Central on XOne is good, there is a lot of content on demand and the base game is cheap, I think it's a good business model. I'm not sure if they're still adding new songs though, which is a shame.
I'd love BC for kinect games too, they're the ones that would benefit the most from running on X1 (better tracking, wider field of view...), but I can see how it could be difficult since the new sensor is lacking all the tilt features of the old one.

Looks like the Defense Grid DLC is available in the store front, but says "bundle only"

Defense Grid has a 567mb update which I'm guessing is adding in the map packs.

However, I think they mislabeled it, because one is called Map Pack 1, but upon clicking itit is the "You Monster" DLC

Similarly, Map Pack 3, upon clicking it is really "Map Pack 4"

Map Packs 1,2,3 not showing up yet

I never owned any of the DLC though so if someone else can investigate...(?)

Good signs though!

Jawmuncher

Really wish there was news on catherine. kills me that it's on sales this week but we won't have a list until after the sale ends.

I am looking forward to playing Castlevania. I got it on the sale yonks ago played for a bit and then moved on.

Hopefully the save is on the cloud.

Arcade games seem weird to me as it looks like they keep the save in the game file itself?

*edit*

To Jawmuncher.

I am in the same boat with regards to all the mass effect dlc.
I really want to round off ME2 as I only had 2 dlcs and buy omega for ME3.
I Probably should just buy them any way but.. I dunno

mclem

If I remember correctly I think it's their version of the online pass. Probably why they made it free.

It's a little more than that (but not much!):

Unlock all DiRT 3 multiplayer modes, 5 cars and the opportunity to upload highlights of your best runs direct to YouTube* with the DiRT 3 VIP Pass†. With the VIP Pass you can prove yourself online across all game modes in competitive Pro Tour events and unranked Jam Sessions. Also included in the VIP Pass is the chance to upload highlights of your most spectacular crashes, gymkhana runs and races direct to YouTube. Finally, five amazing cars are also included; the Colin McRae R4, 1995 Subaru Impreza WRX STI, Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500, Peugeot 405 T16 Pikes Peak and Hummer H3. *Xbox 360 Hard Drive required. †Purchase not required if you already have a VIP Pass code.

Just added Shadowrun...not sure why I never had it on the list, but it's been appearing on the xbox.com image since forever ago

I am looking forward to playing Castlevania. I got it on the sale yonks ago played for a bit and then moved on.

Hopefully the save is on the cloud.

Arcade games seem weird to me as it looks like they keep the save in the game file itself?

*edit*

To Jawmuncher.

I am in the same boat with regards to all the mass effect dlc.
I really want to round off ME2 as I only had 2 dlcs and buy omega for ME3.
I Probably should just buy them any way but.. I dunno

Mass Effect is already BC, I don't see why ME2 & 3 wouldn't be. I'd consider those relatively safe purchases for BC eligibility

My brother is excited for the backwards compatibility but he doesn't have any 360 games anymore. So I don't know why he would be excited. I really don't care for backwards compatibility. I had a big collection of ps2 games and a backwards compatible PS3. I probably only used the feature like once or twice.

Just added Shadowrun...not sure why I never had it on the list, but it's been appearing on the xbox.com image since forever ago

Mass Effect is already BC, I don't see why ME2 & 3 wouldn't be. I'd consider those relatively safe purchases for BC eligibility

I hope your right. I have only been through the ME series once and loved it.
I think my memory might have failed enough to go through it again.

However, if they are not BC...

Liam-Neeson%E2%80%99s-%E2%80%98Particular-Set-of-Skills%E2%80%99-Includes-Marketing-300x150.jpg

whenever mirrors edge is back on sale i'll def cop that

i knew i should've bought it on sale a few months back, fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

the Feb > May delay for the sequel made me want to play the original again even more now heh

kevin1025

Banned
Mass Effect 2 might be problematic because of the two disc BC problem. I remember ME3 having two discs as well, but I think one of them was possibly multiplayer? Or am I remembering wrong?

Mass Effect 2 might be problematic because of the two disc BC problem. I remember ME3 having two discs as well, but I think one of them was possibly multiplayer? Or am I remembering wrong?

If I recall correctly ME3 was one of the worst implementations of two discs on 360. Most major quests were on one disc while the other had more sidequests - you had to switch depending on what mission you selected from the map.

kevin1025

Banned
If I recall correctly ME3 was one of the worst implementations of two discs on 360. Most major quests were on one disc while the other had more sidequests - you had to switch depending on what mission you selected from the map.

Oh man, you're right. If they do figure out 2-disc games and all that, I hope there's a simple "install all" option and the game can run off a single disc rather than having to swap.

ME2 and ME3 were never put up for digital download on 360.

There's also that, too. Games that aren't available digitally may slow its chances of being up for BC, unless it's demanded in a big way and/or high on that compatibility vote list. I'm curious about games like Arkham Origins, where it's technically on a single disc and the multiplayer is on disc two. It also isn't available digitally, so I'm wondering what the case is for that one.

My vote goes to The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings.

The Xbox One is my first Xbox, I don't have a gaming PC, and I just finished The Witcher 3 and loved it. Would love the chance to try Witcher 2 on the One.

That's a pretty specific circumstance though so that might not be a popular game to bring to BC. Honestly, can't think of much else I'd want to use BC for.

EDIT: I just realized this might run into the "2-disc games are a no go" issue as well. I suspect this game spanned more than a single DVD.

My vote goes to The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings.

The Xbox One is my first Xbox, I don't have a gaming PC, and I just finished The Witcher 3 and loved it. Would love the chance to try Witcher 2 on the One.

That's a pretty specific circumstance though so that might not be a popular game to bring to BC. Honestly, can't think of much else I'd want to use BC for.

EDIT: I just realized this might run into the "2-disc games are a no go" issue as well. I suspect this game spanned more than a single DVD.

Witcher 2 originally launched on two discs but was eventually re-released as a single disc game a while later. It is also available digitally.

I would imagine that for the 2 disc version of Witcher 2 would just download that single disc file with disc 1 of that set.

kevin1025

Banned
Witcher 2 originally launched on two discs but was eventually re-released as a single disc game a while later. It is also available digitally.

I would imagine that for the 2 disc version of Witcher 2 would just download that single disc file with disc 1 of that set.

Plus The Witcher 2 was a Games with Gold game, which might (or might not?) potentially help its chances of becoming BC.

Top Bottom