• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to hook a speaker (optical) up to the B6 and have sound coming from the TV and speaker at the same time? That way kinda simulating a surround effect? Or is the optical only for the suvwoofer that they got for sale?

RomeoDog

Banned
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to hook a speaker (optical) up to the B6 and have sound coming from the TV and speaker at the same time? That way kinda simulating a surround effect? Or is the optical only for the suvwoofer that they got for sale?

I'm wrong... was stupid to guess.

AGITΩ;241680685 said:
After about 2 weeks with my A1E and messing around with some of the settings on it, its definitely great at handling motion. Sony didnt gimp down on any of their processing on this guy.
Messing around with both the A1E and E7 at work is pretty much what sold me on the A1E.

Excellent news, good to see this often mentioned. That combination of all the OLED benefits plus their motion handling is why I'm planning to eventually get the A1E as well.

No man that's not possible. Its either one or the other.

Aw damn, I asked this because there's a option called internal TV speaker + optical. This would have been great. So if I want surround I gotta go for a home cinema set.

But I CAN buy that LG Swh1 suvwoofer and hook it up right? I might do that, so my gunshots and explosions have a bit of of punch,for when I don't want to use the headphones.

Mrbob

You guys are killing me who have these great tvs but no audio setup.

You can piece together an extremely nice combo on Newegg. You can put together a speaker combo for about 700 here:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16882290206

You don't even need to piece it together. Can get the Andrew Jones Pioneer speaker set which is rated well:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IK8I9K2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Buy an receiver for 300-400, wire, perhaps some bookshelf stands, and be all set. It's going to be around 1100 or 1200 total but you can use it a long time. I have older version of the polk speaker set I linked to above, purchased in 2012, and they still work great to this day. Finally upgraded to a 4K amp so now i'm now looking for a TV.

Reallink

It's not low end really, although in America there's a huge difference in pricing. I was fucking gobsmacked when I saw how much it cost in Australia.

Amazon USA prices:

900e = 1400
C7 = 2500 (+78%)

Retail Australian prices:

900e = 3000
C7 = 3600 (+20%)

Awful price positioning

Yeah and I could have grabbed the X900E 20% off the other day too. I'm still thinking though. Ebay's been having those sales for a while now and they keep doing new codes every month or so.

I was originally hoping the X900E would be 2400 (55") and then I'd be like ~1800-1900 after a code. But it wasn't to be.

In the US 55" B6's and C6's have routinely hit $1799 though, hence the OLED price point comparison. As fast and loose as LG plays with pricing (they dropped the MSRP $1000 within 2 months), the C7 will be $1999 in the next month or two, and quite possibly short lived $1499 sales surrounding BF.

AddiF

If it has only been a few days it's most likely retention. You say they're already less visible. Run the noise clean cycle again and watch some TV. Good luck!

Man... it's still there. A little less visible but still very much there.

I'm worried.

Mrbob

I didn't see in the opening post so apologies if I missed it, but I did some research on HDR10 and Dolby Vision this morning that put my mind slightly at ease. I didn't realize HDR10 was required on every UHD Blu Ray disc, so there isn't a scenario where only Dolby Vision will be there. Dolby Vision may be added but only as a secondary layer. Possible to consider the X900E again. Plus most of the benefits of Dolby Vision will require HDMI 2.1 anyway.

The problem w/ speaker setups is the actual room needed, in my case at least.

Yeah I understand that. Are sound bars any good nowadays? I haven't looked too closely a them.

In the US 55" B6's and C6's have routinely hit $1799 though, hence the OLED price point comparison. As fast and loose as LG plays with pricing (they dropped the MSRP $1000 within 2 months), the C7 will be $1999 in the next month or two, and quite possibly short lived $1499 sales surrounding BF.

I'd like to see a smaller gap for the LG 65" pricing...right now it's too wide in the USA.
I'd like to see the B7 65" at 2499.

Reallink

I didn't see in the opening post so apologies if I missed it, but I did some research on HDR10 and Dolby Vision this morning that put my mind slightly at ease. I didn't realize HDR10 was required on every UHD Blu Ray disc, so there isn't a scenario where only Dolby Vision will be there. Dolby Vision may be added but only as a secondary layer. Possible to consider the X900E again. Plus most of the benefits of Dolby Vision will require HDMI 2.1 anyway.

Yeah I understand that. Are sound bars any good nowadays? I haven't looked too closely a them.

I'd like to see a smaller gap for the LG 65" pricing...right now it's too wide in the USA.
I'd like to see the B7 65" at 2499.

I think you're confused, Dolby Vision on HDMI 2.0 already supports scene by scene and even frame by frame dynamic metadata. HDMI 2.1 is about bringing HDR10 up to par with Dolby Vision, it will not be adding anything to Dolby Vision save for perhaps high frame rate support if games start to adopt it.

Mrbob

HDR is confusing.

Some people claim HDR10+ will be upgraded without HDMI 2.1 needed, others say no. In terms of Dolby Vision isn't the biggest boost with a 12 bit panel which you need HDMI 2.1 for? At the very least it does look like HDR10 is required on every UHD Blu Ray so I guess that makes it some sort of standard?

Kambing

HDR is confusing.

Some people claim HDR10+ will be upgraded without HDMI 2.1 needed, others say no. In terms of Dolby Vision isn't the biggest boost with a 12 bit panel which you need HDMI 2.1 for? At the very least it does look like HDR10 is required on every UHD Blu Ray so I guess that makes it some sort of standard?

To be completely honest HDR is just such a complete fuck up in roll out, but it certainly feels like a lot of new technology is lol.

For example, HDR does NOT take into viewing condition (light in a room). It is mastered mostly in very light controlled rooms. There is currently no HDR day HDR night, just HDR. Well everyone that has a HDR set knows that it looks completely different in day time versus night.

What's super exciting is Hybrid Log Gamma:

"HLG has the ability to alter the HDR image based on the viewing environment – light room, dark room, even specific brightness levels measured in nits. This feature makes HLG fundamentally different from HDR 10, and potentially could offer everyone a far more satisfying viewing experience. Hybrid Log-Gamma adjusts the picture according to the surround ambient light level, to ensure the image always looks acceptable"

Although originally designed for broadcast, I hope it makes its way into the HDR standard.

Rahvar

You can piece together an extremely nice combo on Newegg. You can put together a speaker combo for about 700 here:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16882290206

You don't even need to piece it together. Can get the Andrew Jones Pioneer speaker set which is rated well:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IK8I9K2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Buy an receiver for 300-400, wire, perhaps some bookshelf stands, and be all set. It's going to be around 1100 or 1200 total but you can use it a long time. I have older version of the polk speaker set I linked to above, purchased in 2012, and they still work great to this day. Finally upgraded to a 4K amp so now i'm now looking for a TV.

As someone who has a slightly oddly shaped living room, pets and a robot vacuum cleaner I have no desire for the cables, or massive work it would be to manage the cables, that a speaker setup needs. I'm fine with regular audio, or even using my Wireless PS4 headset. If needed I would consider a soundbar, but not really. Will by a B6 this fall and skip the speakers.

ncslamm

What are the differences between the 605 and 607.

605 is only at Best Buy. The remote on the 605 is an IR remote while the 607 is wireless. The 605 remote also does not have a headphone jack. The only other difference right now is the 605 is $599 and the 607 is $649.

Stiler

A decent HT setup doesn't have to break the bank, aside from the more well known large companies like Pioneer/Klipsch there's a couple of good online ones that have some great speakers and subs, SVS and HSU are two examples. SVS lets you have 30 days trial and gives you free shipping both ways so it makes it easy to "try" the setup you want without having to lose money if you want to return them.

As far as wires go, it doesn't have to look sloppy. You can run them through the wall (if you are able) or you can use things like raceways (https://www.cableorganizer.com/surface-raceways/) that you can run the wires through if you don't want them exposed.

For me I simply run them along my baseboard and have them tied together with some velcro straps (so you can easily undo it and move them if you need to) so there's no lose wires anywhere to step on or anything.

MotherFan

605 is only at Best Buy. The remote on the 605 is an IR remote while the 607 is wireless. The 605 remote also does not have a headphone jack. The only other difference right now is the 605 is $599 and the 607 is $649.
Thanks for the info. I will go with the 605 then as neither of those features make me willing to pay 50 bucks more.

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
LGB6 55/65 is at a very good price now (EU/Sweden). So tempted of getting one of those, but the fact that HDMI 2.1 may come next year in new TVs making it hard to go for it. VRR+eARC+Dynamic HDR seems worth waiting for, but the question is when it comes ( and at a good price range)? Decisions, decisions... :(

zoukka

So the Samsung KS8000-9000 series only has HDR on movie mode correct? If this is true, doesn't that render those sets unusable as HDR gaming TV's?

BumRush

Maaaan, the A1E motion handling is sooooo good. I'm definitely leaning towards Sony OLED in 2018 right now at least...

Man... it's still there. A little less visible but still very much there.

I'm worried.

Sorry to hear that. Have you been running the pixel clean cycle? In your last post you stated you ran it once.

MazeHaze

Banned
So the Samsung KS8000-9000 series only has HDR on movie mode correct? If this is true, doesn't that render those sets unusable as HDR gaming TV's?

That is incorrect. It has HDR on all modes. The only "issue" is when using game mode, you have to manually change the backlight to 20 for HDR content, where in other modes it will automatically adjust. This is because game mode isn't a part of the same presets, it has it's own toggle in a separate menu.

A decent HT setup doesn't have to break the bank, aside from the more well known large companies like Pioneer/Klipsch there's a couple of good online ones that have some great speakers and subs, SVS and HSU are two examples. SVS lets you have 30 days trial and gives you free shipping both ways so it makes it easy to "try" the setup you want without having to lose money if you want to return them.

As far as wires go, it doesn't have to look sloppy. You can run them through the wall (if you are able) or you can use things like raceways (https://www.cableorganizer.com/surface-raceways/) that you can run the wires through if you don't want them exposed.

For me I simply run them along my baseboard and have them tied together with some velcro straps (so you can easily undo it and move them if you need to) so there's no lose wires anywhere to step on or anything.

Agree with everything here too. I was worried about wires at first, but it's not even a big deal at all. The front speakers are close enough to the TV that it's irrelevant, and one surround speaker has a wire that runs along the wall to it, and the other one I just ran through the floor into the basement along the ceiling and then back up through the floor. I could have easily just put a rug on top of it too.

Now that I have a decent 5.1 set up, I could never go back. When I go to friend's houses and they have a nice TV but are using the built in speakers, I genuinely feel bad. It sounds like ass. Even a basic 5.1 or 2.1 setup takes your viewing experience to an entirely new level.

As someone who has a slightly oddly shaped living room, pets and a robot vacuum cleaner I have no desire for the cables, or massive work it would be to manage the cables, that a speaker setup needs. I'm fine with regular audio, or even using my Wireless PS4 headset. If needed I would consider a soundbar, but not really. Will by a B6 this fall and skip the speakers.

pretty much this

i have a nice surround sound setup in my garage (polk RTi series + marantz receiver) but I don't have room for it in my current house and i'm renting so can't run wires through the walls

i've found the built in E6 sound bar to be surprisingly capable, though it is lacking on the low end a lot

Lexxism

Do the 2016 and 2017 LG OLED TVs are using the same screw (M4x16mm) for wall mount? Or there's change on the 2017 versions?

How're OLEDs for DSE?

I saw my mate's 75" Sony XD94 last night and left impressed with the deep blacks and HDR. However, I did notice a fair bit of DSE.

DSE can be a problem if you get a particular bad OLED set with vertical bands. It's luck of the draw no matter what manufacturer you choose. Most OLED sets are fine, though.

Necron

Just ordered an OLED TV (LG OLED55B6V) because it was 50% off during a two-week sale. Very excited to see how Horizon looks like on it.

cebri.one

Regarding the TCL TV.

In the EU we have the 604, i don't know if it is the same model. Looks like it but can't be sure. Anyone can confirm?

dsk1210

Picked up a 55B6 OLED yesterday and the PC keeps losing picture briefly and reappearing maybe about 2 seconds later.

Have tried loads of HDMI cables and deep colour on and off, 4.4.4. And 4.2.2., HDMI to HDMI, DVI to HDMI, latest firmware.

Anyone had similar problems?

I was using a 55eg920v before and it was perfect.

Stiler

Picked up a 55B6 OLED yesterday and the PC keeps losing picture briefly and reappearing maybe about 2 seconds later.

Have tried loads of HDMI cables and deep colour on and off, 4.4.4. And 4.2.2., HDMI to HDMI, DVI to HDMI, latest firmware.

Are you using an A/V receiver or what?

I had a similar issue with my pc and it was caused by the scaling and resolution settings being set to auto and such .Once I set them all to the correct settings no more cutting out.

MazeHaze

Banned

Like the poster above said, sounds like some scaling quirkiness. If youre on nvidia, go to nvidia control panel and try gpu scaling.

CryptiK

I use optical out to my 5.1 and it can play through both the TV and speakers yes

No man that's not possible. Its either one or the other.
You're wrong.

Broank

I had the same issue. What fixed it for me was:

-Go to Nvidia control panel
-Select “Adjust Desktop Color Settings"
-Change “Content Type Reported to the Display” from “auto-select” to either "desktop programs" or "full screen video"

Kyoufu

Yes there's an "Internal Speaker + Audio Out (Optical)" sound setting.

Korezo

Are the new lg oled really 120hz? If I plug in my pc will my pc recognize the tv as 120hz and let me enable it so I can play games at 120?

J-Rzez

I agree. Sound is just as important as video for a movie theater like experience. What blows my mind is its a gaming forum and games sound fantastic with a real surround system.

Even a $250 soundbar will be an improvement over most tv speakers. Surely people can't wear headphones 24/7?

Stiler

Headphones are never going to give you the presence that a good HT setup will, especially when it comes to things like bass and positioning that a good speaker/sub can provide.

If you are using it mainly for movies (especially blu ray or 4k) you are missing out on one of the main aspects of the film. Even older movies can sound amazing with a decent speaker system driving it and good audio mixing.

As far as "not" enough room, you don't need a massive room for a HT setup and there are multiple ways and speaker setups to accommodate almost any room size/shape, etc, from in-wall/ceiling, to bookshelves, to towers.

I went with bookshelves (to me a good bookshelf + sub is better then a floorstanding speaker).I went with the SVS ultra's for my 5 speakers and then 4 elac a4's for atmos (since I didn't want to drill into the ceiling). A few speaker stands and some blu tack (this is a lifesaver when it comes to speakers and stands) and have my HT setup in a fairly small room (14x13ft and 8 ft ceiling).

After moving from my old speakers I feel like every movie I watch I'm hearing something new in it or I missed out on so many great soundtracks in the past because I had been listening to it on either headphones are cheap speakers (I was using logitech z5500's for a long time, so no DTS HD or anything).

That's not even getting into one of the best "new" things when it comes to HT's, Dolby Atmos.

Watching movies like Mad Max Fury Road, Hacksaw Ridge, and John Wick? It's like an Eargasm throughout the whole movie.

If you can afford it and it's in your budget for building a HT with a new 4k tv I highly recommend a good speaker/atmos setup. You don't have to go crazy on it, a modest 7.2 capable receiver with atmos support and just 5 main speakers/2 atmos can be done without breaking the bank.

Getting into the 5.x.4 or 7.x.4 speakers is a bit expensive though, a good a/v receiver that can support that many speakers will set you back around 900 bucks (at least last I checked).

Top Bottom