• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Mrbob

Anyone have an ETA on when the B7 are shipping to retail? I've read they should be shipping now but haven't seen them show up in stores.

dsk1210

Are you using an A/V receiver or what?

I had a similar issue with my pc and it was caused by the scaling and resolution settings being set to auto and such .Once I set them all to the correct settings no more cutting out.

Like the poster above said, sounds like some scaling quirkiness. If youre on nvidia, go to nvidia control panel and try gpu scaling.

I had the same issue. What fixed it for me was:

-Go to Nvidia control panel
-Select “Adjust Desktop Color Settings"
-Change “Content Type Reported to the Display” from “auto-select” to either "desktop programs" or "full screen video"

It looks like changing the scaling to GPU has worked, at least so far.

Thanks for the help, thought I was going to have to return the TV.

So about the 65B6....

After installing the latest (Russian) firmware the crashes seem gone. No more lockups in the menus and what not. However the Netflix app issues remain and it's incredibly annoying. I would use Netflix on Xbox but i won't have 4K then and also no Dolby Vision.

These issues are... in the middle of watching a show it just quits the app by itself or my TV just goes into standby straight away. Or just now I turn the TV on from standby and I start Netflix and it just refused to even start up. Had to fucking uninstall and reinstall it. And with that comes having to log in again as well.

Anyone else having these bad Netflix app issues as well on their B6?

RedAssedApe

Banned
so those of you with the tcl 55p607/605...do you have flashlighting in the corners when fald is off? picked up one from bestbuy.

fald works pretty well for blacks most of the time outside of some instances where there are things near the corners that keep the leds lit up. results in kind of a pronounced halo effect in that area. For example, playing a game and there's a loading icon or text in a corner.

The flashlighting is enough where i notice it when in ui menus even when fald is on. i think hdr makes it even more noticeable as that bumps the backlight up to max 100. (i.e. Final Fantasy 15 in the save point menus)

RedAssedApe

Banned
Well in game mode FALD is off so that's probably why.

Hopefully they patch it where game mode has fald on.

I probably didn't explain myself properly.

I currently play with game mode off so I can use fald. the added input lag doesn't bother me in a game like ff15.

Fald helps with flash lighting in the corners if that area is mostly black but that's often not the case. Like the save menus in ff15. I can tell that the corners are brighter :/

I agree. Sound is just as important as video for a movie theater like experience. What blows my mind is its a gaming forum and games sound fantastic with a real surround system.

Even a $250 soundbar will be an improvement over most tv speakers. Surely people can't wear headphones 24/7?
Even small good quality active monitors would be a huge improvement for most people.
Then you don´t even need an AVR, just plug them into the headphonejack of your TV.

killroy87

Anyone tried a Dolby Vision disc with the LG B6? Apparently the first DV-supported 4K blus are starting to hit, and the encodes are a bit of an upgrade over HDR10. I'm curious, as my 55 B6 supports both.

Interesting. There is a Costco that opened up about a half hour away from me. Might have to go check it out. Curious to see if the price is different than the C7.

FYI, if you're picky, keep an eye on build dates, esp for the B7s. Some of the older build dates have some bad vignetting. You can read about it over on AVS, but it sounds like later build dates seem to be better overall.

Mrbob

The B7 has issues too? That's too bad. I read the C7 line has some problems as well. Maybe I'll wait a couple month to make sure problems get worked out.

tokkun

FYI, if you're picky, keep an eye on build dates, esp for the B7s. Some of the older build dates have some bad vignetting. You can read about it over on AVS, but it sounds like later build dates seem to be better overall.

As far as I can tell, that is an unfounded rumor that is getting propagated because people want to believe it. When people actually post photographs from the B7s and the May build dates, they look pretty much exactly the same as all the others.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Looks great aside from the panel uniformity.
If you win the panel lottery, that's a tough TV to beat for the price.

yeah my flashlighting/clouding (not sure which is which) in the corners is my main complaint about my set so far but i'm not sure if its enough to return it as i'm rarely watching stuff in a completely dark room. fald doesn't engage when you're using the built-in roku until you start streaming so you see the brighter corners when not viewing content (i.e. navigating ui, etc.)

tv watching also seems not so greap compared to my plasma. Probably has something to do with upscaling from 720p/1080i?

with that being said its $600 lol

crpav

Well got the mount moved and television(LG OLED 65B6P) hung:

8sSis3I.jpg]

dsk1210

So I have just moved from a 55eg20v to 55b6 oled.

The older model had a slight curve on it and I have to say I am actually missing the curve, it actually made the picture look square where as the newer B6 looks like it bends back the way.

So don't always dismiss the curve, especially if using it for the PC like me.

Mrbob

I agree a curved screen is better if you sit closer with a wider screen. My next monitor is going to be a 21:9 curved screen but I don't want my HDTV curved since I'll be 8-10 feet back and seating is designed for more than direct viewing.

What kind of issues? I wanted to get one...

It was panel issues but from what I'm reading if you have a newer model with a build date of at least May you should be fine.

I'm hoping so because I took the plunge today and ordered the 65C7P. Decided to give Avsforum favorite Cleveland Plasma a try and the price quote I received was significantly less than what it is being sold at Best Buy. Should be here later this week or next week.

So I have just moved from a 55eg20v to 55b6 oled.

The older model had a slight curve on it and I have to say I am actually missing the curve, it actually made the picture look square where as the newer B6 looks like it bends back the way.

So don't always dismiss the curve, especially if using it for the PC like me.

Imo any set/monitor that big for pc use should have a curve if you're going to be sitting up close. people are quick to jump on the curve hate train, but they'll learn quickly after they've dumped that much money on a monitor.

Then again I'm kind of on the curve hate train if the set is not being used on a pc. Though I guess the curve on LG sets isn't very dramatic anyway. Whatever floats your boat.

tokkun

What kind of issues? I wanted to get one...

Uniformity issues, specifically vertical banding and vignetting. Mostly visible if you are viewing content with large flat-shaded areas (for instance PC use, 2D games, cartoons / anime). Same issue was present on last year's OLEDs and it appears completely unchanged.

Despite various rumors, it seems the same issue appears with all manufacturers and build dates.

Izayoi

Banned
Thanks for the information.

I think I'll limp my Panny plasma for one last year before I plunge into OLED. Hopefully these issues will be resolved by next year.

Necron

So with my recent purchase of the LG OLED55B6V, do I have to really watch out for "burn-in" issues (will use it primarily for gaming)? Or are these kinds of issues I've been reading for OLEDs somewhat exaggerated? Apparently, it'll have a so-called "Screen Shift" feature that will help avoid this. Is that enough or is there anything I should do and look out for?

The HUD kind of worries me that it might cause such issues...

teiresias

If the tv is going to be wall mounted is there any difference between the 65" B7 and the C7? Is it just a stand difference or is the bezel different?

I'm still debating going with the Sony A1E though.

Got an Origin Access sub and installed ME: Andromeda to try some 2160p@60 fps Dolby Vision gaming on a 65B7.
Had to use a direct HDMI connection since my Denon 4300 doesn't support DV passthrough yet (FW update to be released end of the year).
Might be due to the HDMI cable, but several tries were necessary (I had instances of pink/wrong colours or even complete black screen).

Apart from the fact that my GTX1080 card is not enough to handle this game, it looked great, as expected with the stars in all their bright HDR goodness in the intro sequence.
Played it in Dolby Vision game mode and from browsing in the menus, input lag seems fine.

So with my recent purchase of the LG OLED55B6V, do I have to really watch out for "burn-in" issues (will use it primarily for gaming)? Or are these kinds of issues I've been reading for OLEDs somewhat exaggerated? Apparently, it'll have a so-called "Screen Shift" feature that will help avoid this. Is that enough or is there anything I should do and look out for?

The HUD kind of worries me that it might cause such issues...

Burn In? No, not an issue, unless you plan to display the same picture for several days or something which is why personally I would still not recommend an OLED TV as a pure PC desktop monitor.
For gaming? Fine, absolutely and the few unlucky cases that DID have burn in are more the expection than Plasma owners.
Not to be confused with image retention that is more common, though in my case I have only seen it like 1-2 times.

If the tv is going to be wall mounted is there any difference between the 65" B7 and the C7? Is it just a stand difference or is the bezel different?
Yes, only different stand and different bezel color.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So the other day I got myself a new TV. I got a Samsung 50" UHD 4K TV. A 2017 model. 6 Series. It was down to either that or the 55" Vizio E-Series for like $150 less. It was from Wal-Mart. I spent over an hour deciding before spending more.

At first I was worried when I hooked it up and tried connecting my computer to it. There was lag in the user interface. Made playing Minecraft and GZDoom really annoying. So I played around and was able to fix it. It's a Retina MacBook Pro so I guess it was outputting a Retina resolution by default. So I changed it to 1080p straight mirrored and after digging around I found the Game Mode option. Now the lag is very minimal and games are playable. Eventually I'll have a gaming PC of some sort connected to it. (Do they still make Alienware Alphas?)

It is a Smart TV so it has an app store. The Vizio said it had Chromecast built-in. But this is good enough. It has a YouTube and Netflix which is most of what I need. I downloaded Plex but I can't get it to connect to my server. I don't understand why but that's a problem for the Plex people to help me with. It also has a web browser, an actual embedded version of Google Chrome (If only I used Chrome on my computer) complete with syncing and stuff. So I just load up the Plex web server and watch my collection there until I can figure it out. (This is not the TVs fault. I can't connect to the server from a lot of my Plex apps across multiple devices.)

It has 3 HDMI and a combination Component/Composite input and that's it. Fortunately that's more than I currently need. That's enough for my Wii U (Component right now) and my computer (HDMI) until I get a Switch which will also use a HDMI. I don't really have any classic consoles to plug in.

I like the remote is wireless and doesn't need line of sight. And I can use an app on my phone to control it instead. It's really nice and I assume that's how a lot of TVs are these days. The Vizio box explicitly talked about its app remote on the App Store. So they probably all have this these days.

I don't really have any 4K content. Maybe when I watch some stuff on Netflix I'll finally get it, but right now I don't even notice any problems with 1080p scaled up. The scaling is really good for that old stuff.

I don't even have a coaxial cable plugged in for Live TV so I removed the "Live TV" app from the list and it keeps coming back. Seems like a bug. I just moved it to the end of the list.

Overall I'm satisfied. After the initial worry over gaming lag until I found the settings, I'm happy. It was $700. But I had $350 in gift cards. It was a hard decision because this is a purchase I'll be stuck with for at least a decade if I'm lucky. Maybe half a decade. I dunno what the turn-around on TV purchases is these days. I've had my old TV, a 32" 44lb Polaroid "budget" TV that I bought for $1100 ON SALE for 11 years now. (I bought two of them that year. One for my dad. His died 5 years ago.) I'd like to have this one for the same amount if possible.

On an unrelated note, the Wal-Mart clerk who noticed me complimented me on my Rick and Morty hat and started off introducing me to the TVs by doing a pretty darn good Rick impression complete with a real burp. (Though by the time I finally bought the TV he had gone on dinner break and a nice girl helped me with my purchase and getting it into my car. At which point I learned that my back seats could be tilted forward to make more room in the trunk.) The wandering Verizon guy also liked my hat.

I'm hoping so because I took the plunge today and ordered the 65C7P. Decided to give Avsforum favorite Cleveland Plasma a try and the price quote I received was significantly less than what it is being sold at Best Buy. Should be here later this week or next week.

My first panel must have been a fluke. I got my second from Cleveland, and it works like a charm. I'm in love with it.

HDR mode all okay now? Good to hear.

Indeed.

It was TOTALLY worth the upgrade from last year's E6. The input lag, especially when using it with a mouse, is significantly better. Much much more responsive. The lag is just barely noticeable. Barely. I couldn't be happier. Now I can play Battlegrounds without fighting the floaty controls.

Macaco84

I love it. I own the 49 inch version and it is great. I'm curious what everyone sets their ps4 settings on the console and TV for the best picture.

I own the 65 inch. The key thing for me was switching off most of the image processing and reducing the gamma.

For sdr I only have auto local dimming engaged (medium) with black level at 45 and gamma -2.

For hdr it is mostly the same but I pump up auto local dimming to high and xtended dynamic range to high as well. I settled on these after playing resi evil 7 which is a great stress test on the tv for hdr gaming. Although this is also the game that started to show the limitations of this tv vs an oled. I don't know what the technical term is but when there are bright lights on the screen (e.g. candles, lamps etc) much of the surrounding screen area visibly increases in brightness and I can see a strip of brightness around the edge of the tv.

Also I notice a very small amount of vignetting in all 4 corners on bright backgrounds.

Anyone else with an xe90 see the same issues?

Stiler

I think you are confusing burn in for image retention. Burn in is permanent, image retention is not, it's easy to get the terms confused though since most people will use burn in for image retention.

Most oled's don't have burn in issues like plasma's did, they do have image retention issues though. However it's something that is usually cleaned up via the built in software that will clean it automatically (or you can run it manually on most sets if you want).

Using a pc monitor it shouldn't cause burn in as long as you don't leave the screen on 24/7 on the exact same view and never play games/watch movies or anything and let the tv run its image cleaning program every so often.

Rtings has only ever encountered 1 oled that had actual burn in (IE permanent image stuck to screen) issues.

So yesterday in the evening i was watching some Netflix and then out of the blue it just froze. I couldn't even close the app. So i put the TV in standby, i see the red led light and i turn the TV on again. However this time the led went off and the TV didn't go on. Not at all. I was done with it.

So this tomorrow i wake up and i see the red led again. I turn the TV on and it works, however Netflix was still running, still frozen at that exact point. This time only a black screen with only the subtitles visible. In other words, i need to remove the power cable once more...sigh.

But as i said i would do i called the shop today and explained it all. The guy said he hadn't heard of these problems before but this is not good of course. He asked me to write down all the issues and send them in a email to them. He told me they may send LG over here and that they could perform some kind of flash, maybe that it fixes it. But eventually it could also mean i get a new TV if the problem isn't solved.

He also said it was good that i had not waited like threee weeks before calling them, because things probably would have been more problematic then. Now i wait.

tuco11

quick question.. Should I turn Game mode off whenever I watch a bluray movie or Netflix via my PS4? I have an older Sony KDL -52W4100 and have always had it on Game mode for whatever console is connected.

thanks

This video let's you check if you are getting 4K from Netflix

https://www.netflix.com/title/70136810

Sadly it doesn't work on the TV app, i get an error about how i am using a DNS unblocker, which i indeed am otherwise i can't see this video. On the PC however i don't get that error at all. Damn annoying. There's no way to let me see this video any other way right?

Currently looking at a LG oled65e6v. Is this TV any good? I'm new to the whole HDR thing. Will this work with PS4 PRO And XBOX ONE (ONE X as well?) Any good? Or not right for me?, Cheers! :)

Top Bottom