• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which SFV newcomer do you think will stand the test of time?

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Her default outfit is fine honestly. It's the story outfit that goes a bit too far.

Then again I'm a fan of Cammy's SFV default where a strap is literally pushing up her breasts so what do I know.

Too far?
Brazilian SF5 player said he doesn't know what the fuss is about, he thought they were just casual clothes he sees actual women in his country wear all the time.

The amount of proactive Laura hate in here basically guarantees that she'll be memorable.
She's a character that incites emotions, both positive and negative in all aspects of her design. Her looks, her playstyle, her voice, even her music all elicit strong reactions.

But its the concept art with Birdie with a cut top with a union jack on it where you can see his abs and he looks super fit

Birdie.jpg
someone modded this

https://sleepingmaster.deviantart.com/art/CasualBirdieV2-697732613

Korigama

I don't understand how anyone can have a problem with Kolin.
I prefer Kolin over everyone else new so far, even if this is really just her first appearance as an actual participant instead of being completely new to the series, but I still couldn't include her in my previous answer. She'll probably still at least be a factor behind the scenes in a later game, but won't necessarily be brought back as a playable in response to fan demand. I tried to focus more on who I thought would be realistic to expect to return, rather than basing what I said on whom I like and personally hope will be back (I get the impression that most of the answers in this thread lean toward the latter).

Significance to story or lore doesn't seem to guarantee much of anything with roster spots in SF (I'm fairly certain a lot of people thought that Abel would be back based on Capcom hinting at him being significant back in IV, but he was dropped nonetheless).

Gilgamech

Honestly, the new characters have been pretty good overall, in both gameplay and design.

Rashid is probably the best out of the bunch and will most likely appear again. His design is simple enough to not feel out of place with the world warriors but modern as to not feel boring. As a character he's quite fun and likely even if he does lean into the anime a bit too much.

Laura is another simple design with modern touches like her hair. I'd honestly just replace the butt pad ("what does it do?") with a sports bra and she'd have a great design. Her character needs work though. Its fine if she's just an airhead fighter but the story didn't give us anything else to care about.

F.A.N.G is great. What does his name mean? Who knows, who cares. Story mode really helped his character the most. Just buff him and keep him weird.

Who else did story mode flesh out? Not Necalli. It was his time to shine and it was so limp it hurt his character. His design is ok. It has really cool elements like his hair and v-trigger but it feels so anachronistic that it stands out too much from the other cast.

Kolin is good but I think her 3S nostalgia costume is better.

Ed has potential...just not in his default costume. That battle costume is great though. Merge that and his default to really make him feel like the leader of new neo shadaloo or whatever. His win quotes are awesome; really brings out the shitkid in him. His character story is the best. Show us more Capcom.

Abigail really turned it around after his revail. He still looks awful but he makes it work. And why can't there be any ugly characters? Keep doing your thing Abby, you wonderful monster.

histopher

I think if Lauras premium costume was her default she would be a classic for sure. I think she will stay though anyway.

Im also a fan of FANG personally.
Rashido has plenty of fans so out of the original 4 its probably Necalli who we won't see again.

Ed storywise is important going forward so hes staying.
Kolin kind of had no impact - though not sure why. Shes just kind of there. Think her default should have been the SFIII look.
Abigail is hilarious - I can see him returning in another game though not in the starting roster.

Hope Menat is fun...

The amount of proactive Laura hate in here basically guarantees that she'll be memorable.
She's a character that incites emotions, both positive and negative in all aspects of her design. Her looks, her playstyle, her voice, even her music all elicit strong reactions.

So did Rufus and he's kinda gone.

His theme was the shit.

That's because there is no debate with Rufus. Rufus is a godawful character (not talking in terms of balance/gameplay here)
I don't care if Rufus was an incredibly fun character with OTG grabs and traps and mobility out the yin-yang, I still wouldn't play that insufferable character.

And even his gameplay in SFIV was annoying so he didn't even have THAT going for him.

Forward

I don't care if Rufus was an incredibly fun character with OTG grabs and traps and mobility out the yin-yang, I still wouldn't play that insufferable character.

And even his gameplay in SFIV was annoying so he didn't even have THAT going for him.

Do you dislike Bob, as well? I have seen a lot of people dislike Rufus, yet defend Bob's existence, for some reason. White Trash hilarity aside, I honestly think Rufus was the best of the initial new cast of SFIV. I do not mind Bob, either... crazy, I know.

JusDoIt

Do you dislike Bob, as well? I have seen a lot of people dislike Rufus, yet defend Bob's existence, for some reason. White Trash hilarity aside, I honestly think Rufus was the best of the initial new cast of SFIV. I do not mind Bob, either... crazy, I know.

Bob isn't as offensive as Rufus. Bob is just fat. Ain't nothing wrong with being fat. Rufus is obnoxious in every conceivable way, though.

kikiribu

At least Bob looks like a normal fat guy. Rufus's design was just nauseating. Even worse that they made him Ken's rival as if he was even worthy of that. Truly a (yellow shit) stain on SF.

Also, Street Fatter V Birdie > Alpha Birdie. Beautiful animations and way more personality tbh.

Rufus was way funnier than Bob to me. Bob is just beating a dead horse with the fat American joke, but Rufus seems like it's that stereotype dialed to 11. He makes stupid names and yells during everything, talks a lot of shit, talks a lot period, he looks like his moveset was half him watching Bruce Lee movies and failing to copy them and half black belt from some run down karate gym across the street from a QuikCheck.

Rufus just has way more personality to him, annoying as it is.

Neoxon

Rufus was way funnier than Bob to me. Bob is just beating a dead horse with the fat American joke, but Rufus seems like it's that stereotype dialed to 11. He makes stupid names and yells during everything, talks a lot of shit, talks a lot period, he looks like his moveset was half him watching Bruce Lee movies and failing to copy them and half black belt from some run down karate gym across the street from a QuikCheck.

The thing about personality is that there's two kinds, fun & annoying. While Rashid is the former, Rufus falls under the latter.

That said, even though Capcom took an L for Best Fat Character, they did get the W for Best Middle Eastern Character between them & Bamco.

I don't think either of them got an L though, they're both great in different ways.

I don't see anyone talking about Shaheen...like ever. I don't even see him in combo videos or highlights on twitter. He's a total non-entity.

Meanwhile, Rashid has memes, a song that people sing along to, and he was the main character of the story mode. I don't think there's even a comparison between the two.

Same with Laura and Katarina. The SF5 characters totally overshadowed their T7 counterparts.

I don't see anyone talking about Shaheen...like ever. I don't even see him in combo videos or highlights on twitter. He's a total non-entity.
Somehow I doubt you follow anything that isn't Capcpom related.

And I didn't know Laura, the air-headed Brazillian character who practiced BJJ, was compared to Katarina, the fiesty Portugese character who practiced French Savate.

Neoxon

I don't think either of them got an L though, they're both great in different ways.
Fair enough. Shaheen definitely has the most badass design of the two, but I feel like Rashid has the edge in terms of character & story prominence in their respective games. How fun either of them are is even more subjective than the other topics, so I'm not touching that in any definitive manner (though I will say that I have more fun with Rashid, but that's only my 2 cents).

remz

I don't know if I agree, I feel like they're both riffs on Sammo Hung, that also happen to be fat americans for some reason(???) With Bob the joke is that he's a cool heroic guy that happens to be fat, whereas the joke with rufus is that he's fat stupid and disgusting .

I kind of like that Bob in Tekken is treated with respect as if he's legit a badass and not just a fat freak. whereas rufus just feels like a shit talking idiot. IDK in general I didn't really like the SFIV newcomers

Amazing bro.

If that impresses you, then get a load of this:

I'VE BEEN FOLLOWING FLYING WONKEY ON TWITTER FOR YEARS!

WOW.

EDIT: Lol, speaking of Wonkey (who works with ATP and pretty much retweets/reports on all things Tekken)...I've been scrolling through his timeline for the past 10 minutes, and I can't find a single video of Shaheen...no art work...no nothing. I've seen more SF5 and MvCi tweets on Wonkey's timeline than Shaheen tweets. The dude is a ghost.

kikiribu

The woman with the bigger boobs.
I am extremely impressed with this response.

Somehow I doubt you follow anything that isn't Capcpom related.
I'm gonna have to agree with Lone Dragon this time. Shaheen bores me to tears and I really wanted to like him. Him being so damn serious all the time in a game where most of the males already take themselves too seriously makes him instantly forgettable for me. I do like his design for the most part (I absolutely hate the spiked thing on his shoulder) but he is very easily one of the most boring Tekken characters I've used.

Neoxon

The only blind thing here is SFV's character designer
So these...
...are worse than these?

That's not to say that the old designs were bad, but these in particular are natural progressions for their respective characters. Karin's redesign in particular was necessary, can't have her parading around in a school girl's outfit forever (*glares at Sakura*). You have an argument for Ibuki, Akuma, & Alex. And as sick as Urien's new default is, you can just as easily burn that suit off before the match starts. It honestly just seems like you hate anything related to SFV, hence Lulubop of your post just being blind hate.

Now don't get me wrong, there's quite a bit to hate on for SFV. And I do agree that not all of the redesigns hit their mark. But to say that all of the designs in SFV, new or reimagined for the old crew, is a broad generalization that's wrong in most cases.

Neoxon

I mean I don't know what to say if you think SFV claw looks better than that art you posted
I said it was a natural progression, not that it was better (I like both Vega/Claw designs equally). My point was that the designs posted were all great & not a sin upon the franchise compared to the originals like GinoFelino claimed. The ones I said were outright better were Balrog & Karin's redesigns. The former was a bit too generic before, the latter's old design was hella dated.

Top Bottom