• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indivisible: Valkyrie Profile/Metroid, Indiegogo, PC/Mac/Linux/PS4/XB1 -- funded!

Dang this game is pretty. Will probably back later this month but that's a pretty lofty goal you've got. To be honest I don't think this can make it, but I hope it does.
Yeah, I always let out a disappointed sigh when I see a promising project on IndieGoGo. I've seen too many interesting game fail horribly.

Is there a chance to go the Kickstarter route if the IGG fails?

NEO0MJ

Dang this game is pretty. Will probably back later this month but that's a pretty lofty goal you've got. To be honest I don't think this can make it, but I hope it does.

They mannaged a bit over half that with Skullgirls, and that was for an expansion. There's a good chance they'll reach their goal.

Lime

Anyone who's ever advocated diversity in games in terms of character variety and geography should put their foot where their mouth is. Amazing locales and a WoC as the lead pretty much seals the significance of this project.

I really, sincerely hope this will make it. The game deserves it and with a playable prototype to boot. How many other kickstarters can even claim that much?

NEO0MJ

Ouch. I think this campaign would be an easy success, but having the lowest tier to get the game be at $30 is going to kill it, I think. Generally, $15-$20 is the most successful tier and having a soundtrack isn't going to cut it there, even if it is from a highly respected composer. There are a few campaigns that had the game at around $30, but those had a huge amount of nostalgia going for them (Shenmue, Castlevania).

It's a shame because I'm fans of the dev & the game looks great, but I don't see this happening.

What's with this defeatist attitude, Rob >:O

Kyuur

Having not ever played Valkyrie Profile, my initial reaction to the gameplay (both exploration and combat) is "Hey, this feels a bit like Paper Mario TTYD". And that is excellent!

Demo is surprisingly tough in places, although maybe I'm just not used to the system. It also feels like some attacks are way weaker than others (why use anything other than Up+Action on Zebei?) with not much point to using the others. Also, is there any point to blocking individually vs one unit? And does continuously comboing and enemy actually delay them or does it just feel like it due to the length of the animations?

Anyways, consider this backed!

Ouch. I think this campaign would be an easy success, but having the lowest tier to get the game be at $30 is going to kill it, I think. Generally, $15-$20 is the most successful tier and having a soundtrack isn't going to cut it there, even if it is from a highly respected composer. There are a few campaigns that had the game at around $30, but those had a huge amount of nostalgia going for them (Shenmue, Castlevania).

It's a shame because I'm fans of the dev & the game looks great, but I don't see this happening.

Hey get back to work on the Vita Exclusive Sequel to Cthulu Saves the World!

Yeah more than anything it's that starting price point that I see as dangerous, needs to be a $15 or so option.

Hastati

So does the digital art tier come as a print or a download? Thinking of upgrading, just curious to know more about what you get :)

Crayolan

They mannaged a bit over half that with Skullgirls, and that was for an expansion. There's a good chance they'll reach their goal.

The Skullgirls campaign was in a much better position. I feel the whole voting thing helped to extend their campaign far beyond where it would've been originally. This doesn't have anything like that to boost the numbers. On top of that, the expansion was for an already proven-good game whereas though this looks good there's no way to know how the final product will turn out.

Valkyrie Profile/Metroid is right in my wheel house. I backed skullgirls as well but mainly just because of the animation. I'll be backing this when I get off of work.

Bit of a tangent, but I appreciate all the insightful posts, Ravidrath. Hearing more in-depth information on skullgirls and to a small extent - Indivisible here, it's almost always interesting.

Von Koz

Neo Member
This is pretty much where I'm at. If this was on Kickstarter I'd have backed immediately, but I don't feel particularly inclined to start up an account with another service. Might keep an eye on this and see if they need the money down the line, otherwise I'll be happy to wait until post release to buy it.

Ah c'mon man! I didn't have an account either and it literally took 5 seconds to link my FB account. It's a small thing to help a bad ass looking game like this come to fruition! :)

Dio

Banned
Ah c'mon man! I didn't have an account either and it literally took 5 seconds to link my FB account. It's a small thing to help a bad ass looking game like this come to fruition! :)

You don't even need to link your FB, all you need to do is give email > pay with paypal.

The Skullgirls campaign was in a much better position. I feel the whole voting thing helped to extend their campaign far beyond where it would've been originally. This doesn't have anything like that to boost the numbers. On top of that, the expansion was for an already proven-good game whereas though this looks good there's no way to know how the final product will turn out.
It'll turn out like the prototype, but with almost a dozen more HD quality incarnations fully fleshed out for battle, another 15-20 music pieces, more bosses, more enemies, a story that can support twenty to thirty hours of gaming and several entire new regions. Basically, take the prototype and add a 100x multiplier to just about everything. I'd say it's a pretty good example of how things will turn out.

Lab Zero also tends to overdeliver:
In February 2013, we crowdfunded new Skullgirls DLC characters, story and stages. The campaign was a success, and not only did we deliver everything we promised, we even managed to over-deliver when some things came in cheaper than originally anticipated.

Promised

5 new characters
5 new story modes
6 new stages
6 new music tracks

Delivered

5 new characters + 1 free “Clone” character
5 new story modes + 1 free “Clone” character story mode
12 new stages + 2 new variants
12 new music tracks

We intend to approach Indivisible similarly, and will commission additional music, monsters or environment setpieces if things come in under budget.

Anbec7

I think we can make it, Skullgirls almost made it to half of this.
Besides there is the prototype, even if some of you guys are still over the fence you can drop $5 and then buy the game when it releases, I mean c'mon is a lovely game and I love the music and art that we have been seeing.

DrArchon

That long thread from before and only 286 backing this?

I still think this doesn't have enough visibilty. I just googled "indivisible game" and the only results were from the official Indivisible stuff (youtube, twitter, etc) and stuff from the initial announcement a few months ago. There're no posts about the launch of the campaign on mainstream outlets as far as I can tell.

Granted, its pretty early in the day (esp. for the West coast), but this really needs more people to know that this has started.

Hastati

Just upgraded my tier and now its saying I've made two contributions , even though I clicked through the upgrade link. Not really a fan of the igg interface, maybe it's cuz I'm on my phone. Assuming this will get sorted out.

edit: nevetmind, just an issue with the contributions page, PayPal refunded me.

Good luck with the campaign!

tuxfool

Banned
This is pretty much where I'm at. If this was on Kickstarter I'd have backed immediately, but I don't feel particularly inclined to start up an account with another service. Might keep an eye on this and see if they need the money down the line, otherwise I'll be happy to wait until post release to buy it.

By all accounts you should be supporting indiegogo too. The service takes a smaller vig than KS, ultimately meaning the developers need to raise less money overall.

Comet

Valkyrie Profile is a platformer/RPG.

RPGs typically have a large exploration component, even though VP doesn't really because of its time limit.

Metroid is an exploratory platformer.

So... it all seemed to flow pretty naturally, to us?

I guess once you remove the time limit component from VP it could allow itself to be a much more exploration-based experience. Cool stuff.

NEO0MJ

Because I'd really like to see this succeed, but I did a lot of research into crowdfunding while preparing for our second campaign. Setting the minimum tier to get the game at $30 is a major stumbling block that I don't think a game that's seeking to get $1.5 million without the benefit of nostalgia is going to overcome.

Don't...don't bring logic into this ;-;

Though more seriously, I can see why. Sure you'd need double the number of basic backers, but you're more likely to get people to part with their money when it's only $15.

Ravidrath

Having not ever played Valkyrie Profile, my initial reaction to the gameplay (both exploration and combat) is "Hey, this feels a bit like Paper Mario TTYD". And that is excellent!

Demo is surprisingly tough in places, although maybe I'm just not used to the system. It also feels like some attacks are way weaker than others (why use anything other than Up+Action on Zebei?) with not much point to using the others. Also, is there any point to blocking individually vs one unit? And does continuously comboing and enemy actually delay them or does it just feel like it due to the length of the animations?

Anyways, consider this backed!

Thanks!

As for the battle...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFhpSxv5amQ

While some attacks might seem that way, they all have different meter gain and recharge times. Mike knows how to balance things and give them nuance and depth.

So if you're just looking at damage numbers, there's a very good chance that the moves you think are the strongest actually aren't.

Looks awesome, but the title is a little weird. I also hope it has a good story.

A little weird, maybe? But we're not even approaching Square Enix title levels of weirdness.

Shizuka

Because I'd really like to see this succeed, but I did a lot of research into crowdfunding while preparing for our second campaign. Setting the minimum tier to get the game at $30 is a major stumbling block that I don't think a game that's seeking to get $1.5 million without the benefit of nostalgia is going to overcome.

It doesn't help that while they were preparing for the Kickstarter, another company managed to announce a game from the same genre coming out in Japan.

Just played the prototype build, and this game is great!

I'll probably upgrade my contribution here in a couple of weeks, because I want more of what this game is bringing to the table!

Moonlight

Banned
Backed at 250! Strangely enough, the page doesn't seem to have recognized it, but it still got charged, so I'll just assume the site needs to catch up. Would have backed for more, but money's tighter than I'd prefer and Canadian conversion reaaaally sucks right now.

So, so excited for this.

Ravidrath

Backed at 250! Strangely enough, the page doesn't seem to have recognized it, but it still got charged, so I'll just assume the site needs to catch up. Would have backed for more, but money's tighter than I'd prefer and Canadian conversion reaaaally sucks right now.

So, so excited for this.

Thanks so much!

May Roti keep you warm on those frigid Canadian nights!

Beats

So, so excited for this.

Yeah, I was going to put in more, but when I saw what it came out to after conversion I had to lower my pledge. : <

Ravidrath

Is there anything about who is writing the story? I didn't see it in the campaign description.

Plotting and everything will be handled by us, actual writing will probably be handled by Christian Nutt, who wrote the Skullgirls DLC story dialog.

May need to hire more writers depending on the workload.

Top Bottom