• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 Crossplay test this weekend with Windows 10 and Xbox One

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I'm excited for this. Gears 4 is a fun game but the online PC community is all but anemic. I haven't played a ranked match (escalation or execution) since the first week of launch. I'm stuck rotating social versus playlists, and even then lobbies need bots to fill out the match. It's really sad and really frustrating because the game plays so wonderfully. For the record, I exclusively use the 360 controller on PC and do plenty well online against mouse and keyboard users. I don't think this will be as big a problem as some anticipate. But we'll see.

Kerm 1

I played on PC the first few weeks after release using an Xbox controller. As I recall it, I don't think I faired any better or worse than I typically do on console.

I thought Versus Cross-play wasn't implemented for this game due to the fear of cheaters?

They must have a solid anti-cheat solution in-place for the game then to give this a shot.

Fuck this bullshit, i dont want pc gamers with mouse and keyboard playing against me. Controller only

That thread with the announcement, just a few posts down in the first page

Nice, can't wait to play with people like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wApU_i6vLPs

Checked that channel out which has another vid uploaded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGhAtlJCoc0

HOLYSHIT. LOL. Did some digging (no pun intended) and I was being dishonest there. Literally the first result in google.

http://wallhax.com/hacks/gears-of-war-4-hack/

3 Day Trial - $2.99

1 Month VIP - $19.95 (monthly)

3 Month "PRO" (LMAO) VIP - $39.95

Lifetime VIP - $299

Cut down hordes of enemies with Wallhax’s private Gears of War 4 hack for versus and horde multiplayer modes. With our cheat, brutally take out your opponents with our deadly bone aimbot that lets you deal maximum DPS and get instant headshots on every enemy.

Our GOW4 hack also features full ESP letting you see the locations of all enemies at any given time for the ultimate tactical advantage. You’ll be able to easily maneuver around cover to avoid being flanked while planning your strategy for taking out your opponents. With a full package of ESP features including nametags, boxes, health, distance and more you’ll have all the information you need to secure the win. Adding to that, our 2D radar lets you get a bird’s eye view of enemies in a 360 degree area around you.

With our Gears of War 4 hack, dominate in every competitive versus match you play as you lock onto, and take out your opponents with ease by utilizing our GOW 4 Aimbot and ESP features. Own the top of the scoreboard every match as you put down anyone who gets in your way. Earn experience and ranks faster than ever before for maximum unlocks and new gear.

You’ll be a force to be reckoned with in horde mode with the assistance of our GOW 4 hack. Cut down AI opponents with ease as you get headshot after headshot with our tuned bone aimbot. Deal maximum damage to your opponents without missing a shot and always know exactly where enemies are at any given time. You’ll be the MVP of your squad every match you play as you survive longer than ever before with assistance from our software.

With Wallhax’s in-game, mouse driven menu, configure every feature in seconds to create your perfect configuration, then save your settings for your next gameplay session. Ready to start dominating online in Gears of War 4? Learn more about our features below, and then create your account to secure your GOW4 Hack Download!

Aimbot

Enable Aimbot
Auto Aim
Visibility Checks
Field of View
Ping Correction
FPS Correction
BulletDrop Correction
BulletSpeed Correction
Stick to Target
Activation Key
Lock-On Message

2D RADAR

Show Radar
Radar Movement
Radar Size

Misc

In-Game Mouse Driven Menu
Cheat Watermark
Game FPS
Game Resolution
Current Time

ESP

Enable ESP
Line ESP
Name ESP
Distance ESP
Health ESP
Box ESP
HeadDot ESP
Traceline ESP
Traceline Size

Settings

Player Visible Color
Player Invisible Color
Crosshair
Save Settings
Load Settings
Move Menu
Resize Menu

Protection

Undetected by GOW 4 Client

A Coalition developer has responded to that post too, regarding the PC version.

We have been permanently banning anyone using stuff like this for some time now.

Like Overwatch PC. The very nature that this exists and nothing can be done about it in the game's code of the PC version (despite UWP and it's new encryption method that started with Forza 3 IIRC) to prevent it from happening, is a threat to that entire playlist already. Just droppin' that good'ol banhammer. Gears of War 2 had this kind of issues too with JTAG consoles, that's the X360 and now we're talking about the X1 which CANNOT run ANY unsigned code as of December 2016. But that's just a minority of players.

The true bane of shooter X-Play is the inherent hardware advantage a KB/M has over an Xbox One / Xbox 360 controller, and if you've played the original GeOW's both versions with both input methods, you'd be turning your V-SYNC OFF on your PC version (even if you bought it for X1) and licking your lips.

Lingitiz

There's no real effective way for them to dictate the input method used on the PC version.

As long as console players always opt in themselves to playing with KBM players, I don't see an issue. I can't imagine a scenario where enough console players start playing those playlists that it negatively affects the player counts for everything else.
Yeah like I said, they don't need to limit it. Just make it an opt in on a consoles. Controller is still a viable way to play. I wouldn't be surprised to see console players savaging PC players.

I dominate people using a PS4 controller on PC. It's really not that big of a deal lol. Most people on PC don't even play it like a Gears game anyway so if you are good at wall bouncing and moving around you will own them.

Gren

This is great, one of the most tangible benefits to PC-only players to come out of their Play Anywhere program.

It'd be great for future shooters if they could come to detect/ensure players are using a controller. Both sides would only benefit from the combined population. If for whatever reason a game doesn't resonate with typical kb/m users, at least one could fall back on another group to play with.

J_Viper

I played on PC the first few weeks after release using an Xbox controller. As I recall it, I don't think I faired any better or worse than I typically do on console.

Yep

Anyone concerned about going up against kb+m players have nothing to worry about. This isn't CS:GO.

Yudoken

Either way they should implement xplay with pad only.

That would be the best solution.

Also does the pc version support paying with pad and mouse at the same time?

If yes, a playstation movement controller with a mouse could be the best way to play this game on pc

RS4-

Always say. The aim is offcourse easier on the PC. But the movement is easier to do on the console imo.
Thats why i always think crossplay isnt that bad with Gears then it is with a Battlefield kind of game for example/

Yeah, Gears for me is just awkward to play with KBM.

People got so mad when I wanted crossplay and how they could've sorted it.

TaterTots

Banned
Console players, I urge you to give the playlist a go. Just for 2-3 games. That way you can get warmed up and give legit feedback instead of accusing PC players of being cheaters.

LAA

Yes really hope it stays. Tend to play more on PC currently and I don't really think KB/M VS controller would make that much of a difference and I play with controller on PC anyway.

I really would like to imagine how well can someone play GoW with keyboard and mouse. Then I would like to know if every GoW4 pc player can play THAT well with keyboard and mouse.
My opinion is that (cheaters aside) there will be pc player who will obliterate me with k&m and there will be console players that will obliterate me with controller. As many already do on console where everyone plays with controller.

There is a lot of misinformation, speculation and what ifs in this thread. Been playing with Xbox 360 controller on PC and haven't felt that I'm in a disadvantage. Also, haven't seen a single cheater since release day.

BHK3

Banned
Its going to be a bloodbath, movement on PC is equalivant to gamepad once you get used to is. It just takes a little bit to learn, while the gamepad can be perfected in a day.

I'm tempted to dive headfirst into this from the PC side. I've barely played, and am complete trash at the game, and would happily skew their statistics by getting kicked around.

The controller vs K&M situation is always so overblown it's kind of silly, the health of the community is more important. As a controller based PC Gears who hasn't touched the game since launch due to small player counts and long waits I look forward to having a larger pool of players to face.

Calmine

This is a good news. I will certainly give it a try. I tried playing with keyboard and mouse and while I did well I just couldn't adapt to it. Mostly due to all my years playing the other tiles on 360.

Even with a controller I did well and at times was top player. So I'm hoping it does get fully integrated. The player base isn't big on PC.

krang

I think this could work as long as it remains as a separate "cross play" playlist, maybe other shooters could follow their lead and introduce their own separate cross play playlists.

But the question then would be "what's in it for XB1 players?". Why would an XB1 player actively choose to go into the cross-play playlist when they have plenty of people to matchmake in the XB1-only playlists?

It sounds like you'll have a playlist for of PC players looking for a bigger population, with only a few XB1 players who are partied up with a PC player, or are there just for the novelty.

It should be all-in or separate, in my opinion.

Cross play in social playlists. Platform specific in ranked.

That wouldn't work for me.

For some reason Australian's have always hated ranked in Gears. Gears 3 would have full matches of Social KOTH and was completely empty in ranked.

Gears 4 is exactly the same way. TDM is fine, but KOTH, Guardian, Escalation and Execution are all dead.

I hate TDM so my only option is social and I don't want to play against someone with KB+M.

I can understand why PC gamers would be happy about this, but I would -never- want to play against a PC Gamer on an Xbox One. I can't imagine many people would want to, to be honest.

I don't get it. Not all videogames are first person shooters. Fighting, racing, arcade, puzzle games.... there are tons of reasons to justify cross play. I really hope this becames the standard in the future. So much talk about next gen and we continue to play and having the same limitations we had 10 years ago.

But the question then would be "what's in it for XB1 players?". Why would an XB1 player actively choose to go into the cross-play playlist when they have plenty of people to matchmake in the XB1-only playlists?

It sounds like you'll have a playlist for of PC players looking for a bigger population, with only a few XB1 players who are partied up with a PC player, or are there just for the novelty.

I'm all for the test (good idea etc etc) but I agree - how many XBox players are going to keep playing the cross play unless it's balanced?

Sure, those with friends on PCs might endure but it can't be a large number.

So my question is how are they going to balance it.....

Trup1aya

I'd probably go into the cross-play playlist all the time. Sounds like a great way spice up the challenge. I'd especially do it if they offered bonus xp for console players.

I really think people need to try it before judging it. I think we'll find that precision weapons are much easier for kbm players, but the game really isn't about precision weapons so much as it is movement and positioning.

I think you'll also find that quite a few pc players are using a controller anyway, and have been holding their own against other kbm players.

Synth

I don't get it. Not all videogames are first person shooters. Fighting, racing, arcade, puzzle games.... there are tons of reasons to justify cross play. I really hope this becames the standard in the future. So much talk about next gen and we continue to play and having the same limitations we had 10 years ago.

There are tons of reasons to justify crossplay in various games, and also tons of reasons to justify not having it as standard in all games.

Do I want to play Killer Instinct with PC players for a larger pool? Yes. Do I want to play Overwatch with PC players for a larger pool? Fuck that.

I'm not too positive on the idea of even including it as an optional playlist really, as it'd either go mostly unused, and just be a place where the PC gamers go hoping for console participants... or it becomes the popular option, punishing those that don't want to mix with PC players, in regards to matchmaking.

People will finally realize that there is no difference and positioning matters much more than headshots.

It depends greatly on the game. Positioning matters in Counter Strike... but so does the aim. In some game like Quake 3 (the first crossplay game I ever played online) even the positioning is affected, because a controller player can't move like a PC player can.

Trup1aya

Honestly, i don't see anything wrong with having cross-play, even in ranked playlists.

In a game With a decent ranking system, you'd see the best kbm players float to the top of the rankings- isolating them from the controller wielding population. At the bottom of the rankings you'd probably see only controller users. But it the middle, there'd be plenty of overlap- you'd find most of the controller population (console and pc) and those kbm users who couldn't translate the added precision into actually being good at the game.

It would all balance itself out.

There are tons of reasons to justify crossplay in various games, and also tons of reasons to justify not having it as standard in all games.

Do I want to play Killer Instinct with PC players for a larger pool? Yes. Do I want to play Overwatch with PC players for a larger pool? Fuck that.

I'm not too positive on the idea of even including it as an optional playlist really, as it'd either go mostly unused, and just be a place where the PC gamers go hoping for console participants... or it becomes the popular option, punishing those that don't want to mix with PC players, in regards to matchmaking.

It depends greatly on the game. Positioning matters in Counter Strike... but do does the aim. In some game like Quake 3 (the first crossplay game I ever played online) even the positioning is affected, because a controller player can't move like a PC player can.

Again it really depends on the game. I have a feeling that the all cross play idea is to bring pc gamers closer to console gamers and not the other way around. Not sure if i've made myself clear, but what i mean is i dont seeing working on a game like Counter Strike....because first of all its not needed there. But on say Titanfall 2, Forza, Guilty Gear or Puyo Puyo? yeah sure.

pa22word

Its going to be a bloodbath, movement on PC is equalivant to gamepad once you get used to is. It just takes a little bit to learn, while the gamepad can be perfected in a day.

It's not equivalent, it's better.

The game features a traditional digital, 8 directional movement scheme with behind the back camera control. Effectively it controls no differently than an FPS with the camera pulled back. A keyboard is always going to be better for this environment due to quicker travel between keys and the digital 8 way movement eliminates any benefit a stick might have.

The real question more though for gears is "does this actually matter for this game", and after playing gears 4 a bit I would say not really. The game doesn't really emphasize movement in the same way something like quake or UT does, and the game has enough mechanics purposefully built in specifically to slow you down in order to facilitate pad play that other than a few specific guns like the sniper rifle I don't see that much of a benefit coming from more efficient movement and superior shot placement that KB/m offers.

krang

I'd probably go into the cross-play playlist all the time. Sounds like a great way spice up the challenge. I'd especially do it if they offered bonus xp for console players.

I really think people need to try it before judging it. I think we'll find that precision weapons are much easier for kbm players, but the game really isn't about precision weapons so much as it is movement and positioning.

I think you'll also find that quite a few pc players are using a controller anyway, and have been holding their own against other kbm players.

You misunderstand me. Cross-play is great, and should be encouraged. But separating the cross-play into its own playlist is just going to kill it because there's no benefit for the people on the XB1-side other than a few people who are going to party up with PC players.

I'm hopeful that this test proves there's little or no benefit from m&kb, and all social playlists are made cross-play.

Synth

Again it really depends on the game. I have a feeling that the all cross play idea is to bring pc gamers closer to console gamers and not the other way around. Not sure if i've made myself clear, but what i mean is i dont seeing working on a game like Counter Strike....because first of all its not needed there. But on say Titanfall 2, Forza, Guilty Gear or Puyo Puyo? yeah sure.

Yea, I agree that it would be a great thing to have for many games. I mostly just disagree when people claim that there isn't a difference between the inputs, as though that holds true across all games. I don't play Gears in MP, so in this case I wouldn't be affected either way, but I have played quite a few games (that do exist on both platforms) where there's a pretty definitive difference as to what each set of players would be capable of.

Trup1aya

You misunderstand me. Cross-play is great, and should be encouraged. But separating the cross-play into its own playlist is just going to kill it because there's no benefit for the people on the XB1-side other than a few people who are going to party up with PC players.

I'm hopeful that this test proves there's little or no benefit from m&kb, and all social playlists are made cross-play.

I see what you are saying. I agree to an extent. Honestly, i think cross-play would work, even in ranked play. Yes there's an advantage to kbm players, and the best of those players will end up with the highest of elo ratings, which would isolate then from the rest of the crowd anyway. All of the pc users on controllers, or those who just aren't that good with kbm, will blend in with the rest of the population.

If they were going to limit it to a single playlist it should be THE playlist. Having a console only social and a mixed social, for example, would be pointless. Just let anyone into the social list.

noomi

Oh man, this is fucking great.

I really hope it goes well, and that this becomes permanent in the future. Wish more devs would follow this route. This definitely has my vote.

Rodelero

Given the context of the thread it's pretty obvious I'm talking specifically about Gears of War (which isn't a first person shooter, by the way). Many competitive multiplayer games are simply not suitable for crossplay.

The Coalition decided to ban Versus Multiplayer in Gears of War 4 for all of the right reasons. They knew that it would be a completely unfair playing field, and would harm the experience for Xbox One players. They are now reversing that policy because the game is dying on the PC. A lot of PC players are apparently delighted that they'll have more people to play against, but Xbox users are going to opt out of this system in droves, assuming the opting out process is well presented, undermining the whole reason to do this in the first place. Those that don't realise you can opt out or simply choose not to will be playing in unfair matches.

The issue with cross play being used for this purpose, where one version has a large player base and the other has a practically non-existent one, is that the large base has no need for the small base, and the small base offers nothing positive to that large base.

Crossplay is definitely a good thing in some games, but it isn't going to be a positive solution for dead PC games imo.

Trup1aya

Given the context of the thread it's pretty obvious I'm talking specifically about Gears of War (which isn't a first person shooter, by the way). Many competitive multiplayer games are simply not suitable for crossplay.

The Coalition decided to ban Versus Multiplayer in Gears of War 4 for all of the right reasons. They knew that it would be a completely unfair playing field, and would harm the experience for Xbox One players. They are now reversing that policy because the game is dying on the PC. A lot of PC players are apparently delighted that they'll have more people to play against, but Xbox users are going to opt out of this system in droves, assuming the opting out process is well presented, undermining the whole reason to do this in the first place. Those that don't realise you can opt out or simply choose not to will be playing in unfair matches.

The issue with cross play being used for this purpose, where one version has a large player base and the other has a practically non-existent one, is that the large base has no need for the small base, and the small base offers nothing positive to that large base.

Crossplay is definitely a good thing in some games, but it isn't going to be a positive solution for dead PC games imo.

This is overblown.

There's no such thing as a perfectly fair match, there are a number of variables that provide players with advantages/disadvantages in any online game, even in consoles.

In a game that allows cross-play between pc and console, kbm players will surely have an advantage when it comes to aiming. But not all pc players will be good enough to capitalize on that advantage. And not all PC players will be using kbm.

A decent elo system would match people according to who they a proven tendency to win/lose against regardless of their control scheme. Great kbm players would match other great kbm players. Average kbm players would probably match up against highest level console players. Pc players who use controllers would be playing evenly with their console counter parts. The end result is matches based on likelihood of victory, not on control method. It's not like having good an accurate shot automatically grants you a win. There's a lot more to being skillful.

Oh this is great. People will finally see the divide is player skill far more than input for the vast vast majority. Hope it goes well.

Mrbob

The real question is will pc players even show up....I can see why this test is happening. PC online userbase is so small.

I remember. Titanfall was one of the few games where I felt even in crossplay. Console folks are gonna get crushed in most games.

Me and my friend play TF2 on PC using xbox controllers and we do very well. especially in last titan standing where we are often top of the winning side.

I think the parkour and mech aspects actually lend themselves well to a controller

Madness

YES!

I haven't bought the PC version yet because of this and I hope they full integrate it in the future.

So you never bought the game on PC because it didn't have crossplay with console, something hardly any games have ever had and yet want this implemented so the PC community can thrive? If the game is dead on PC, I don't see how trying to force console gamers to prop them up is going to do much. For console gamers, no matter what, the PC'er will have the advantage. There is enough players on Xbox One that you can get matches pretty easily etc.

I don't mind this. It is about player choice. If people want full crossplay let them. But don't just assume it should be the norm. Anytime they have tried crossplay in the past, PC'ers have always come out on top.

Top Bottom