• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 is confirmed.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah I get that you collect monsters (moreso than DQV), but is it a full rpg like a mainline DQ with good dungeons and battle systems and short stories inside one big one?

john tv

Bebpo said:
Yeah I get that you collect monsters (moreso than DQV), but is it a full rpg like a mainline DQ with good dungeons and battle systems and short stories inside one big one?
I've only played like 7 or 8 hours of Joker; it's kinda fun, but it's slow-paced, and the story doesn't feel like Horii had anything to do with it. It's not as charming as the mainline games, but it's more about the collecting/breeding aspect, so if you're into that sort of thing, you might really like it.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Bebpo said:
It's not the same, the monsters are definitely the focus of these games. IIRC, the first GBC game was really basic. You'd through warp gates under the throne room to random dungeons collecting monsters with a bit of story progression as you progress through each gate. You had to move up in rank before you could go through each gate so if you weren't strong enough you'd go through the old warp gates and leveled up your monsters to make them stronger or breed them, or collect others monsters. In the second game they gave you a small overworld and ditched random dungeons for the most part I think, they replaced warp gates with keys and made progression more seamless.

Joker's a bit closer to DQ than those games I guess, but I struggled with the camera often and thought the gameplay was a bit sluggish honestly. The style of the story is definitely different too. I'm hoping this one is better. I had a bit more fun with the GBC games even though they weren't as great on the presentation side. I thought their stories were a bit more charming too.

Kishgal

Banned
jj984jj said:
It's not the same, the monsters are definitely the focus of these games. IIRC, the first GBC game was really basic. You'd through warp gates under the throne room to random dungeons collecting monsters with a bit of story progression as you progress through each gate. You had to move up in rank before you could go through each gate so if you weren't strong enough you'd go through the old warp gates and leveled up your monsters to make them stronger or breed them, or collect others monsters. In the second game the gave you a small overworld and ditched random dungeons for the most part I think, they replace warp gates with keys and made progression more seamless.

Joker's a bit closer to DQ than those games I guess, but I struggled with the camera often and thought the gameplay was a bit sluggish honestly. The style of the story is definitely different too. I'm hoping this one is better. I had a bit more fun with the GBC games even though they weren't as great on the presentation side. I thought their stories were a bit more charming too.
Probably because Horii actually worked on the scenario for the first two DQM games. He didn't on Joker. DQM 1 and 2 and DQS are the only spinoffs where he was directly involved.

john tv

jj984jj said:
I had a bit more fun with the GBC games even though they weren't as great on the presentation side. I thought their stories were a bit more charming too.

Yep. I loved DQM1 -- probably spent upwards of 100 hours with it. I never actually got into DQM2, but I still want to someday! Maybe I'll give the PS1 remake a whirl.

Wow. I really couldn't stand the original Dragon Quest Monsters to the end. The actual monsters and battling was okay, but the extremely limited nature of the randomly generated areas you spend most of the game wandering around drove me bonkers.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just wondering, this is a sequel to a spin-off right? (Like Persona 2,3, and 4)

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Jonnyram said:
I put a fair bit of time into DQMJ and I tried like hell to enjoy it, but it really bored me to tears.
That was the exact same way I felt. I liked the originals and want to like this too.
I really hope this is considerably better than the last one.

Kishgal

Banned
So, based on the screenshots of the World Monster Championship showing flags, and the trailer showing a map with points all over the globe, it's pretty safe to assume this is actually coming out worldwide now, and online battling will be international.

batbeg

Kishgal said:
So, based on the screenshots of the World Monster Championship showing flags, and the trailer showing a map with points all over the globe, it's pretty safe to assume this is actually coming out worldwide now,[b/] and online battling will be international.

That's the April Fools aspect of it.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Trailer has probably some of the most jawdropping DS visuals ever. Consider me hyped bigtime! Once I play through the first Joker game :p

Then again, I remember that whole thing with S-E not localizing their DS lineup lately and it starts to worry me :(

Shawn6661

Gamekult.com Import Review

More monsters doesnt necessarily mean more story. Taking place on a single island splitted into regions, DQMJ2 focuses on incessant battles but forgets their link, that is the story. You keep fighting to level your monsters, to merge them with others to obtain more powerful ones until the end without encountering a single real screenplay. The little chemist side where you mix monsters is addictive and exciting, and end in huge trees to get the most powerful monsters. But otherwise, the repetitiveness of the game gets boring, and especially the artificial way the game use to expand the life span by incessant battles. Concerning the multiplayer, it is regrettable that online battles of the great tournament are "simulated". Nice, catchy, but quickly repetitive.

+ the monsters from the dq universe
+ the addictive "mad doctor" side of mixing monsters
+ pleasant graphics
+ nice multiplayer

- labourious gridding
- kinda short...
- ...and artificially lengthened by battles
- irritating battle music

6/10

N4Us

The sluggish grinding is what got me to stop playing DQM:J about halfway through. Nothing like struggling to level up your monsters just to barely finish off a boss and then dying instantly next battle. It would've been an excellent game otherwise if it wasn't for all that.

In before "but you know it's DQ right" and all that.

Aru

Shawn6661 said:
Gamekult.com Import Review

More monsters doesnt necessarily mean more story. Taking place on a single island splitted into regions, DQMJ2 focuses on incessant battles but forgets their link, that is the story. You keep fighting to level your monsters, to merge them with others to obtain more powerful ones until the end without encountering a single real screenplay. The little chemist side where you mix monsters is addictive and exciting, and end in huge trees to get the most powerful monsters. But otherwise, the repetitiveness of the game gets boring, and especially the artificial way the game use to expand the life span by incessant battles. Concerning the multiplayer, it is regrettable that online battles of the great tournament are "simulated". Nice, catchy, but quickly repetitive.

+ the monsters from the dq universe
+ the addictive "mad doctor" side of mixing monsters
+ pleasant graphics
+ nice multiplayer

- labourious gridding
- kinda short...
- ...and artificially lengthened by battles
- irritating battle music

6/10

It's amazing to see how Gamekult.com became popular on this forum :lol
I remember times when I posted GK reviews and almost nobody would care about them...

Aeana

N4Us said:
The sluggish grinding is what got me to stop playing DQM:J about halfway through. Nothing like struggling to level up your monsters just to barely finish off a boss and then dying instantly next battle. It would've been an excellent game otherwise if it wasn't for all that.

In before "but you know it's DQ right" and all that.
Nobody who isn't totally dumb would say that, since if you're grinding in a numbered DQ game, you're doing it wrong.
DQM is a totally different beast from mainline DQ, though.. It's all about raising your monster team, which of course calls for fighting around. It's why I'm not a huge fan of them, myself.

I really am excited for this. I just picked up the first one 3 days ago and I am hooked. Is the breeding system any different this time around?

http://www.dqm-j2.com/

Square-enix keeps proving they like money:

POWER UP VERSION "dragon quest monsters joker: 2 professional" announced

Same game, But with feedback from fans , extras, yeah! A ton of new monsters and new maps
Release date is 2011 Spring.

___

This marks probably the latest release date we have for a ds game that has a potential to be a 100,000+ hit

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Damn, now even DQ-Spin-offs get that FF treatment. Not sure if i like. How about a western release ?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
FINALFANTASYDOG said:
This marks probably the latest release date we have for a ds game that has a potential to be a 100,000+ hit
You meam 1.000.000+ but there is still the slim possibility of Pokemon Grey being a DS title.

N4Us

Aeana said:
Nobody who isn't totally dumb would say that, since if you're grinding in a numbered DQ game, you're doing it wrong.
DQM is a totally different beast from mainline DQ, though.. It's all about raising your monster team, which of course calls for fighting around. It's why I'm not a huge fan of them, myself.

Yeah, I'm playing DQIX right now (my first numbered DQ game) and the grinding requirement's nowhere near as bad as Monsters was. I mentioned that bit just because it's a common joke I've read involving the series.

Cactus

Banned
This is great news if it ends up happening.

Is the consensus that DMJ2 is a much better game than the first? The original Joker was the only Monsters game that I couldn't get into at all.

Edit: New posts disappeared??

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Wait, didn't this game come out already?

Wait, what did Pureauthor get banned for?

Wait, what? What's going on? Huh? Why are my nosehairs tingling?

faridmon

The first one was the beiggest grind fest ever, hence me not finishing it.
.... I am gonna get this, if its make way to Europe.

Top Bottom