• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Head-to-Head Battle: Dragon Quest vs. Final Fantasy

Overall better series?

• Dragon Quest

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • Final Fantasy

Votes: 52 70.3%

• Total voters

Pejo

I prefer the older FF games much more than the older DQ games, but I prefer the newer DQ games much more than the newer FF games.

I consider FFIV, FFVI, FFIX, and FFXI some of my favorite games of all time though, so I gave FF the nod. It's been consistently downhill since 12 though, which was the last one I really enjoyed.

Lokaum D+

Oh please.

Yeah, the first and third are good, the second one ( DQV ) is way better then anything that DQXI has to offer, DQXI entire OST is garbage tier imo, the overworld theme made me drop DQXI vanila and i never looked back. Since Sugiyama is dead we may have a proper OST that has a more mature tone.

this cutscene for exemple (time stamped), imo the ost kills the mood, is this a chase scene or a circus ? and there is a lot of awful choices all over this game, themes that dont fit what is happening on screen.

Last edited:

RavageX

Ive never beaten a DQ game. Ive finished a few FF. The closest DQ would be the one where you do the time travel through gates or something like that. The others...where your dad was a pirate or something...he dies and you end up a slave....and the latest on switch. I also have the one that was on ps2 and released on the 3ds.

At some point playing them becomes tedious, even if i take a long break. I havent had that same problem with FF.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
this cutscene for exemple (time stamped), imo the ost kills the mood, is this a chase scene or a circus ? and there is a lot of awful choices all over this game, themes that dont fit what is happening on screen.
You just have bad taste in music :messenger_tongue:

ByWatterson

Final Fantasy by a country mile.

I don't think we discuss enough how extraordinary it is for a franchise to create a brand new world, characters, history, lore, mythos, religion, industry, and politics again and again and again.

It's completely unique in major franchises and in the AAA space.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Neither both are overhyped and overrated

There are much better JRPG Franchises
546.jpg

Just recently I have finally gotten over FOMO and accepted they’re not for me. I feel like DQ fanboys are like the equivalent to the grown men who shrieked and wept with uncontrollable emotion when they saw the Milennium Falcon in the Star Wars ep VII trailer. It’s a joy I can never experience no matter how hard I try.

I loved the JRPGs of the SNES-PS1 era, but what I loved was how they felt so fresh and innovative.
You may be right. For years I've been slowly trying to figure out the psyche of the modern JRPG fan, and I do still include myself in that. It's a complex mix of lots of different types of people so you can't make completely broad generalizations. But one thing I do know is that the least reliable information you can get is impressions from a JRPG fan about JRPGs. You just have no clue what it means unless you know the person well. You don't even know what decade of reality they are living in until you talk it out at length. They could still be living in 1997, 2007, a couple live in the present too.
Man that is so true. I still like some modern JRPGs (Xenoblade series, some of the modern FF series, Star Ocean 6, some of the Tales games). But it practically feels like some people in this fandom are living in different universes.
These 3 posts might possibly be the best set of posts this thread will ever see, and they sum up exactly why most JRPGs can never be an easy recommendation as a video game to another person.

To add, I wasn’t able to get into Dragon Quest until first playing DQ Swords on Wii and more recently, DQ builders 1 and 2. Most DQ fans would scoff at this, but I would not have played nor spent money on the franchise otherwise. I’d like to believe that my money was spent supporting the I.P.’s continued existence even if those games weren’t a main entry.

Top Bottom