• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam axes submission process, ALL new pubs/devs must go through Steam Greenlight.

Interfectum

not sure what that has to do with anything. Valve's previous submission process needed improvements because stuff was getting shot down that shouldn't have. Forcing every indie game into greenlight is not the answer. Why not allow anyone who wants to publish on steam, even if you stick them into an indie ghetto like on the Xbox 360.

Really? Your solution is an iOS ghetto?

What do they actually do at Valve? They seem to be the most hands off company ever. And aside from a couple games released in the last few years they seem to spend most of their time making tools to allow other people to actually do the work

they chill with 4chan all day, smoking blunts and making hats

Santiako

What do they actually do at Valve? They seem to be the most hands off company ever. And aside from a couple games released in the last few years they seem to spend most of their time making tools to allow other people to actually do the work

They count the money.

megalowho

Greenlight is a great idea as a safety net for gems that fall through the cracks as well as a chance for the little guy to get noticed, but it's just not a system that's up to the task for replacing internal curation on a grand scale. If Valve feels like they can skimp on that department by making the approval process a popularity contest for even established devs, then Steam will be a lesser storefront for it.

epmode

Oh god stop this right now. The days of Valve being silent for years at a time are long past. You can easily compare their recent output with similarly sized studios.

No customer support. No developer support.

NeoGAF's favourite company.

Greenlight hasn't really failed yet. It has problems and concerns, but it's all awkward speculation at this point rather than something you can really point to and properly criticize.

I, however, anticipate some growing pains.

Really? Your solution is an iOS ghetto?

there are finished PC games that have been released on PSN, Xbox 360, iOS and Android that are not on Steam because they haven't cleared greenlight. How is that good for anyone? Now imagine adding a crap load more games into the popularity contest.

Valve stated this was the plan from the beginning:

Further down the line, the old process of submitting your game to Valve for consideration will stop. Valve will no longer the arbiters of quality for Steam games.

They started Steam to cut out the middle man of retail, but eventually became a middle man of their own. And they’re good at it: everyone I know with a game on Steam attests to the massive audience they get there compared to their own site. So they’ll continue being a platform, but they’re going to stop acting like a publisher. They’re letting developers become their own overseers, and the public become Steam’s gatekeepers.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/07/12/how-steam-is-about-to-change-its-role/?ref=rss

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Are you being intentionally obtuse? Some excellent games may not have a crazy social networking fanbase paving the way on Greenlight.
Co-signed.

For me, the shine wore off Greenlight when La-Mulana wasn't in the first wave of approvals. Or the second. To be frank, I haven't voted on a thing since. When high quality, finished games are being overlooked in favor of betas and unplayable pre-alphas, I can't help but feel like Greenlight is basically worthless to me.

26 games have been greenlit and only 5 have actually been released.

Isaccard

There aren't very many
if any
indie games I care for, so if this means less indie shovelware jank garbage on Steam, so be it.

Aeana

Co-signed.

For me, the shine wore off Greenlight when La-Mulana wasn't in the first wave of approvals. Or the second. To be frank, I haven't voted on a thing since. When high quality, finished games are being overlooked in favor of betas and unplayable pre-alphas, I can't help but feel like Greenlight is basically worthless to me.

I didn't know that was happening. That definitely sounds like a major issue.

If more things got through greenlight faster, I wouldn't mind this change. But ten every month or two is waaaaay too slow.

But honestly if this doesn't work out, valve will be the first to change it. I'd rather a company be flexible and take some risks, and make some mistakes, than COD every year.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I strongly dislike this. It slows down games coming to Steam, and Greenlight is already something most consumers will not find themselves actively engaged in when it comes to wading through titles to vote on stuff. There are already titles caught/lost in the process that I want to see on Steam.

exactly.

DSix

Banned
it's not my job to evaluate games without playing them.

Put the work in Valve.

Yep, that's the big issue now. Valve just takes the top 10 and approves, without really looking at it.
When in fact they should sherry pick themselves, by actually looking at the stuff, and not only the top votes.

Most people are incapable of evaluating games without playing it. This will result in a lot of bad pandering games getting picked up and a lot of actually good ones to never get released.
They should be wise enough to recognize that the people actively voting on greenlight don't actually represent most of the people buying steam games.

Odrion

Banned
Co-signed.

A-fucking-greed. La-Mulana probably won't even make the Holiday sale season. ;_;

demidar

I didn't know that was happening. That definitely sounds like a major issue.

Man I can't believe they passed up COD:BLOPS 2 for an indie game. That is so stupid. I'm gonna make Valve pay by only spending $275 on their Christmas sale as opposed to $300.

Aeana

Man I can't believe they passed up COD:BLOPS 2 for an indie game. That is so stupid. I'm gonna make Valve pay by only spending $275 on their Christmas sale as opposed to $300.
Who the heck is concerned with Call of Duty being affected by this?

Oh god stop this right now. The days of Valve being silent for years at a time are long past. You can easily compare their recent output with similarly sized studios.

For a company with only 300 people (a lot of those working on Steam), Valve does a pretty good job of having at least one major release every year.

In comparison, Ubisoft has nearly 7,000 people working at it.

List of Valve releases for the 7th Gen (supposing it began September 30th, 2005 with release of the 360)

1. Half-Life 2: Lost Coast 2005 First-person shooter Windows
  2. Half-Life 2: Episode One 2006 First-person shooter Windows, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Mac
  3. Half-Life 2: Episode Two 2007 First-person shooter Windows, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Mac
  4. Portal 2007 Puzzle video game Windows, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Mac
  5. Team Fortress 2 2007 First-person shooter Windows, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Mac
  6. Left 4 Dead 2008 First-person shooter Windows, Xbox 360, Mac
  7. Left 4 Dead 2 2009 First-person shooter Windows, Xbox 360, Mac, Linux
  8. Alien Swarm 2010 Top-down shooter Windows
  9. Portal 2 2011 Puzzle video game Windows, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Mac
  10. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive 2012 First-person shooter Windows, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Mac
  11. Dota 2 2012 Multiplayer online battle arena Windows, Mac
That's 11 different releases in 7 years.

Lancehead

Setting aside for a moment how good Greenlight is currently working, I strongly support Valve's direction towards taking themselves off approval process and letting consumers be major stakeholders in that decision process. I find it surprising that some people would rather have Valve do this stuff, and in fact see this move as closing of an avenue when Valve themselves shouldn't be an avenue in the first place.

Setting aside for a moment how good Greenlight is currently working, I strongly support Valve's direction towards taking themselves off approval process and letting consumers be major stakeholders of that decision process. I find it surprising that some people would rather have Valve do this stuff, and in fact see this move as closing of an avenue when Valve themselves shouldn't be an avenue in the first place.

I agree on a certain level... but on another, consumers are really dumb.

Aeana

Setting aside for a moment how good Greenlight is currently working, I strongly support Valve's direction towards taking themselves off approval process and letting consumers be major stakeholders in that decision process. I find it surprising that some people would rather have Valve do this stuff, and in fact see this move as closing of an avenue when Valve themselves shouldn't be an avenue in the first place.
It would be prudent to step back and think about who "consumers" are in this case. The people going through all of the games at Greenlight don't represent a very wide audience, and frankly, you won't get an audience representative of the purchasing consumers on Greenlight no matter what you do, unless you start paying people for votes.

Isaccard

It's not something I'd browse frequently to see if there are any games I want to play and vote them up - that's just something I'm not going to remember to do, nor something that I really care to do. If this means that the chances of interesting games coming out on Steam is up to a small subset of people who are obsessively browsing Greenlight, then I'm not really happy about that.

This makes no sense to me.

Def Jukie

This is truly terrible news. Greenlight should be a last resort not the only option of getting your game on Steam. I don't understand Valve's thought behind this. I would think they would have enough money to hire a small staff with diverse gaming tastes to sort through most of the games that would be worthy of being on steam. If something falls through the cracks, the developer or publisher could put it up on Greenlight.

I hate to think that in the future, really cool indie games could be completely overlooked. I thought Greenlight sounded cool when I first heard about it but not if it's the only option.

demidar

It seems not even established companies bypass the Greenlight system (Wadjet Eye), perhaps new, larger devs will be caught as well? Because the delineation is pretty blurry at the moment.

Glass Rebel

Valve makes an effort to lessen their influence on the PC market and this is how gamers react.

In all seriousness, Greenlight isn't fleshed enough to replace their previous model IMO. Not enough slots, not enough transparency. But at least the idea, or rather the motivation, is good.

Noaloha

I recommend anyone interested in this topic, especially if you can't see a downside, listens to a little twenty minute conversation about Greenlight on this recent episode of Idle Thumbs:

http://www.idlethumbs.net/idlethumbs/episodes/that-meat-boy-sat-me-down

Starts at 26:30.

Touches on -
-the potential dilution of 'the first time' experience which this system brings
-the notion that indie game developers increasingly need to also be indie game marketers
-the benefits of a crowd-source initiative versus one of curation through a small, static team
-Valve tending towards hands-off automation of their produce & infrastructure
-how distribution affects the medium

Pooya

This is like stating we don't have room or time for gamea that might not sell much, what has the most potential to sell the best gets in. Obviously quality doesn't have much to do with how a game sells, if you can't hype your game and many unknown indies can't then you can't get into Steam? This isn't any better than console certification, at least there you know after a set period of time if your game passes the clearly detailed conditions it will pass, now here it depends on random people based on what they feel like it.

dani_dc

Greenlight was a great feature as an aditional service to get games on Steam.
As the sole way for indie developers to get on Steam it's an extremely lacking service, and this is a very short sighted move. No longer is getting into Steam a matter of quality (some would argue it never was, with some truth), but a matter of popularity and promotion ability, which skews things to games with higher budget. It essencially blocks the smaller good/great titles from getting into Steam, which was the entire point of the service in the first place.

This wouldn't be bad as long as the people responsible for selecting games to be sold on Steam (before Greenlight existed) still manually pick titles off the service, effectively replacing contacts made by emails for the greenlight pages. Unfortunately so far it seems that all they are doing is allowing the most popular games into the service, which is a really bad policy, especially when you have cases of publishers with enough pull doing sketchy moves such as "We'll give a free game to everyone that votes for us" such as Postal 2.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
there are finished PC games that have been released on PSN, Xbox 360, iOS and Android that are not on Steam because they haven't cleared greenlight. How is that good for anyone? Now imagine adding a crap load more games into the popularity contest.

I feel there just needs to be an actual incentive for voting. None of my friends is voting on Greenlight because they just don't care.
Giving people something, like a TF2 item, a Dota 2 item, 5/10 cent steam credit per 20 voted games. (Only 1 item per day / 3 days /??)

Isaccard

I can't expound unless you elaborate about what doesn't make sense to you.

I share your sentiment about not really caring to check Greenlight for interesting games, but I don't think I understand how one could be unhappy about missing out on title they might enjoy because the people who do obsessively check Greenlight didin't vote for it.

The way I'm reading what you're saying is like this (as an example): "I don't like the last game that got greenlight, but I didin't care enough to go and vote for anything I would've wanted to see greenlit instead either."

Vamphuntr

This seems like a bad idea. According to posts in this thread even devs with games on steam are asked to use greenlight instead?

I rarely visits the Greenlight community. I think I went twice, the first time being the day it launched and the second time was when a game posted here seemed interesting and i went to vote for it.

Interesting projects are probably going to get lost in a sea of shovelwares and cheap copies and get rejected just like they were before.

Top Bottom