• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam axes submission process, ALL new pubs/devs must go through Steam Greenlight.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The old submission process (which lived here) was shut down on July 9th when Greenlight was first announced. Yes, that means there was a period of about 6 weeks where there was simply no way to even apply for Steam. Greenlight has been the only route for developers new to Valve to get their titles on Steam since then.

There's been a "back door" of sorts for most indie devs to push through to Steam (the major ones mostly). However this is the first time they've shut that out as well and completely relegated it to Greenlight.

If you follow the link, from a twitter post, to the page from Primordia it sounds like Steam declined the game, not just summarily kicked them to Greenlight. It's at least one case that is extremely anecdotal.

Not to white knight Valve here, but to make a jump from this to assuming Black Ops 3 is going to need to be on Greenlight is asinine. There is still a submission process, of course there is. Some indie games will continue to get declined and passed off to Greenlight, as was the plan all along. Just seems like massive overreactions up and down this thread and an overly sensational thread title.

I don't expect any major games to pop up on Greenlight like Black Ops. But it's just another avenue of getting on Steam that's being shut off, which means more competition in Greenlight, and more indie gems to be buried forever.

The major publishers won't be going through the greenlight process. This is still targeted towards indie developers. I'm not seeing the cause for panic.

Considering the indie publishers are the ones I actually care about, I have every cause to panic. Waiting for SpaceDrake to check in.

Interfectum

There's been a "back door" of sorts for most indie devs to push through to Steam (the major ones mostly). However this is the first time they've shut that out as well and completely relegated it to Greenlight.

They will still "back door" the big publishers.

Geoff9920

That's an odd decision. Even so, they should grandfather all indie developers who've sold a game on steam from having to do this.

injurai

Banned
Well at least it will free up dev time for HL3... but I think they should still have a formal review process that is provided for developers.

Interfectum

I don't expect any major games to pop up on Greenlight like Black Ops. But it's just another avenue of getting on Steam that's being shut off, which means more competition in Greenlight, and more indie gems to be buried forever.

Seems like an over-exaggerated doomsday scenario based on the tweets of a few people. Any big indie darlings will go past the process as well. And you act as if stuff isn't being Greenlit.

Mondriaan

In theory something everything has to go through will (be forced to) improve faster than something that the big guys can skip. I'm not sure if everyone is being forced to go through it, though.

kami_sama

Greenlight at first was a good idea. If the community wants it, it should be on steam. But having Wadjet Eye having to go through it is just crazy. They are developers that already have a name and a some games on steam. Why should they use Greenlight?

Randdalf

Isn't the idea here that people who aren't established Steam developers can't go through private channels to get their game on Steam any more? So it means we can actively avoid putting game like Revolution 2012 on Steam. I don't see a problem here

jbueno

This thread reminded me of Greenlight´s existence, so I went and voted on whatever titles were on the frontpage. There was of course some interesting titles, but it kind of felt like browsing the Google Play or iOS for games, lots of seemingly uninspired titles that got me to vote against them.

Seems like an over-exaggerated doomsday scenario based on the tweets of a few people. Any big indie darlings will go past the process as well. And you act as if stuff isn't being Greenlit.

just wait until a game you want isn't getting through. this is already happening.

bkane

Neo Member

The "back door" is that you can communicate with Valve if you have an established relationship with them (i.e. another game already on Steam). But just because one of your games is on the store doesn't mean that Valve will approve anything you submit to them. In the case of the Primordia, they say that Valve declined the game. In the old days, that would be the end of it (short of drumming up a lot of buzz and asking again). Instead, they were told to take their case to Greenlight. That doesn't sound nefarious to me.

Now if there was a flat-out statement of "all games must go through Greenlight, even if we've published your other work", I could see why people would be upset. But that's not what's happened here.

ok

*puts in the work*

"C'MON VALVE GET OFF YOUR ASS AND FINISH HL3"

oh ok

*finishes hl3*

"REAL FUCKIN' GREAT VALVE NOW I GOTTA UPVOTE ALL THESE ZOMBIE GAMES MYSELF"

shit sorry

*gets back to self-evaluating*

"ARE WE GETTING RICOCHET 2 OR WHAT???????"

*valve exits game business to make eyes for replicants*

So you're saying Brad Wardell was right all along?

Greenlight was made to allow for more indie games to get on Steam. So why are you panicking?

Feep was only able to get Sequence on Steam due to contacts.

As great as Greenlight is, you're honestly going to tell me that it is the most efficient avenue for indie devs?

Rubius

Well, that ensure that only games people want get on Steam. I would be surprised if a AAA title do not get on Steam.

Blizzard

Banned
Greenlight was made to allow for more indie games to get on Steam. So why are you panicking?
Because if it's a more purely vote-related system, it seems like there could be even less chance of an indie developer getting a second game on Steam, even if their first one was accepted.

I think people were literally posting today about a developer who had their second submitted game rejected because Valve didn't feel like it was a good game for their platform...even though the company already had existing game(s) on Steam. So now they have to compete their new game against a ton of existing games yet again, potentially taking months to rise up through the ranks, etc.

Eusis

Feep was only able to get Sequence on Steam due to contacts.

As great as Greenlight is, you're honestly going to tell me that it is the most efficient avenue for indie devs?
It's why I mentioned it seems better for augmenting: maybe it's "fairer" to do it this way, but it seems like constructing an unnecessary obstacle with a trusted publisher/developer, plus it probably comes off as MORE unfair with big publishers walking right in.

epmode

What makes you think it would be on Steam if greenlight didn't exist?

Are you being intentionally obtuse? Some excellent games may not have a crazy social networking fanbase paving the way on Greenlight. Previously, there was a chance that a Valve employee could find a diamond in the rough. This is less likely with a metrics-focused process like Greenlight.

Ideally, Greenlight would co-exist with a manual approval procedure. And I see little downside to automatically approving a developer's games provided they already have one or two on Steam (like Wadjet Eye.)

This is why I'm glad that Origin, Impulse, Uplay, GoG, and Gamefly are out there. Yes most of them aren't as good as steam and its nice to only have one place to find all your games. However having the industry tied to a single company who has no real structure or plan forward, seems like a terrible idea.

before getting all bent out of shape, maybe we should see if devs being incorrectly pushed through greenlight is an oversight as it contradicts the FAQ.

Coxy

You need to have games in a genre to get that genres community on steam, if those games arent there the community wont be there, if the community isnt there the games wont be there, it's a self fulfuilling prophecy locking out genres that are currently poorly represented on steam like JRPGs

Recall

People, read the whole thread.

This applies to even those who already have games on Steam. Gemini Rue devs have to submit their next title via Greenlight as do others. It's clearly a skewed system.

Rufus

Ideally, Greenlight would co-exist with a manual approval procedure. And I see little downside to automatically approving a developer's games provided they already have one or two on Steam (like Wadjet Eye.)
Yup. This move is weird, considering Greenlight still needs to mature. Why jump the gun like this?

Joe Molotov

Wading through Greenlight is a pain because most of the games look like ass. I just want Steam to pick for me, and occasionally check the forums and see which games people are saying "OMFG WHY ISN'T XXXX ON STEAM, FUCK YOU GABE!!!" to pick up the ones that fall through the cracks. *ahem*Grey Matter*ahem*

Blizzard

Banned
before getting all bent out of shape, maybe we should see if devs being incorrectly pushed through greenlight is an oversight as it contradicts the FAQ.
The developer(s) in question have already been explicitly rejected by Valve unless I'm misunderstanding the information...or do you mean you think that Valve may change the response, and you believe it was a message from an empoyee acting independently?

Well, that ensure that only games people want get on Steam. I would be surprised if a AAA title do not get on Steam.
The problem with this is...

Are you being intentionally obtuse? Some excellent games may not have a crazy social networking fanbase paving the way on Greenlight. Previously, there was a chance that a Valve employee could find a diamond in the rough. This is less likely with a metrics-focused process like Greenlight.

Ideally, Greenlight would co-exist with a manual approval procedure.
...this sort of thing. If you want to make a turn-based strategy game instead of an FPS, maybe that's great, and maybe there are X number of people who love that, and maybe it's really high quality. However, if the number of people voting for FPS games vastly outweighs the number of people voting for turn-based-strategy games, you might in theory never make it to the top (or it could take years) because of a never-ending stream of new FPS games that would get, comparatively, more votes.

If Valve opted to take high-quality games out of certain genres, rather than the absolute top-voted games in general, certain genres might still have a chance of getting games through.

Interfectum

The developer(s) in question have already been explicitly rejected by Valve unless I'm misunderstanding the information...or do you mean you think that Valve may change the response, and you believe it was a message from an empoyee acting independently?

Was the game rejected by Valve because of Greenlight or because their internal team didn't like it?

Aeana

I haven't looked at Greenlight since about a week after it launched. How active is it in terms of voting? It's not something I'd browse frequently to see if there are any games I want to play and vote them up - that's just something I'm not going to remember to do, nor something that I really care to do. If this means that the chances of interesting games coming out on Steam is up to a small subset of people who are obsessively browsing Greenlight, then I'm not really happy about that.

Giran

This has been in effect for a few days. I was surprised when I went to Greenlight and saw the Drakensang 2 expansion there. Not exactly your run of the mill Greenlight title.

Even so, they should grandfather all indie developers who've sold a game on steam from having to do this.

Why?

I'm not seeing why this is a big issue really. Valve is greenlighting a lot of games so anything that people want to play will get greenlit anyway. The only scenario in which the system breaks down is if there is if there is

a) a completely amazing game that
b) no one has ever heard of but
c) a Valve employee still deems it worthy to be on Steam and also
d) it would never get greenlit otherwise.

Now what are the odds that all 4 of those conditions will be met? And especially for devs who already have their stuff on Steam?

Aeana

Why?

I'm not seeing why this is a big issue really. Valve is greenlighting a lot of games so anything that people want to play will get greenlit anyway. The only scenario in which the systems breaks down is if there is

Now what are the odds that all 4 of those conditions will be met? And especially for devs who already have their stuff on Steam?
If there are a ton of games to wade through on Greenlight, few people are going to want to go through all of them to find the good stuff. The larger the pool is, the higher the chances are that something will be overlooked.

The problem with this is...

...this sort of thing. If you want to make a turn-based strategy game instead of an FPS, maybe that's great, and maybe there are X number of people who love that, and maybe it's really high quality. However, if the number of people voting for FPS games vastly outweighs the number of people voting for turn-based-strategy games, you might in theory never make it to the top (or it could take years) because of a never-ending stream of new FPS games that would get, comparatively, more votes.

If Valve opted to take high-quality games out of certain genres, rather than the absolute top-voted games in general, certain genres might still have a chance of getting games through.

just suggesting it might be a case of "computer says no" since the FAQ specifically says it's just for new devs and pubs. for example, the system might only check if a dev has a previously approved game in the greenlight database but not check the store database, so that dev would be mistakenly rejected.

Aru

Well, at this point, GOG should be the better place for PC DDL games. Too bad they don't have a library as large as Steam's.
If people care about achievements, couldn't PC developers use something like OpenFeint ?

demidar

Why?

I'm not seeing why this is a big issue really. Valve is greenlighting a lot of games so anything that people want to play will get greenlit anyway. The only scenario in which the system breaks down is if there is if there is

Greenlight != released.

What do they actually do at Valve? They seem to be the most hands off company ever. And aside from a couple games released in the last few years they seem to spend most of their time making tools to allow other people to actually do the work

What makes you think it would be on Steam if greenlight didn't exist?

not sure what that has to do with anything. Valve's previous submission process needed improvements because stuff was getting shot down that shouldn't have. Forcing every indie game into greenlight is not the answer. Why not allow anyone who wants to publish on steam, even if you stick them into an indie ghetto like on the Xbox 360.

Top Bottom