• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just borrowed $40,000 and want to start a business. Ideas?

I'm not going to be as down on OP as everyone else.

I think the fact you want to open a business badly enough to take out a loan is a good sign about your motivation.

I would read several books and try to connect to friends-of-friends who are small business owners to start learning what you'll need to do. In the meantime though, return the loan.
I'm sorry, but taking out a loan to start a business doesn't show motivation. It shows carelessness without a good solid plan.

I'll do it for $25k. I need the money up front.

Now now, at least offer me dinner and a movie first.

I'm sorry, but taking out a loan to start a business doesn't show motivation. It shows carelessness without a good solid plan.

Believe it or not, I DID have a solid plan. This thread has shown me that the sensible thing to do, if my original idea doesn't work, is to return the money... but I started with a good foundation

you’re a cpa, your base salary will be 60k+

after a couple of years you will easily break six figures.....why are you borrowing 40k and paying interest?

nothing wrong with having dreams of starting a business, but you can literally save more yourself instead of borrowing. cmon man

Haines

Banned
We started a small business. It wasnt with money but one foot in front of the other. Hard work.

Good luck op.

If you want to make money off of magic, open a LGS lol

Voidance

I work in banking, specifically small business lending. One of the most surprisingly profitable, low-capital companies I've worked with is a guy who does screen printed t-shirts and other apparel. The owner makes six figures in a smallish city with one location (and then proceeds to gamble it all away), and he is NOT business savvy at all.

Success can come in many forms, and many of them don't require a ton of cash — just some creativity and a solid network (which you, as a CPA, may already have).

Edit: On the other hand, another common use of ~$40M is to be an investor in commercial real estate. After a few successful investments, you should be good to go out on your own if that's your thing. This also plays well with the residential rentals you already own.

I work in banking, specifically small business lending. One of the most surprisingly profitable, low-capital companies I’ve worked with is a guy who does screen printed t-shirts and other apparel. The owner makes six figures in a smallish city with one location (and then proceeds to gamble it all away), and he is NOT business savvy at all.

Success can come in many forms, and many of them don’t require a ton of cash — just some creativity and a solid network (which you, as a CPA, may already have).

Edit: On the other hand, another common use of ~$40M is to be an investor in commercial real estate. After a few successful investments, you should be good to go out on your own if that’s your thing. This also plays well with the residential rentals you already own.

This is good stuff. Even if I don't end up using it, I sincerely appreciate the thought that you put into your post. Thank you very much.

Jimrpg

You should probably follow through with the idea.

But I wouldn't do it for $31k.

Instead, I would really whittle it down to an amount that you're willing to lose completely. Maybe $2-5k? You will just have to take out a lot of features until you get more money to put back into it.

This is stab in the dark, but maybe an overseas developer will help you out. In China, $2-5k is a lot of money. That might even be 3 or 4 months of wages. Secondly you don't have to offer the money completely unfront, you can offer part shares.

But make sure you don't reveal too much information otherwise they'll take the idea and do it on their own.

Bashtee

I'm not going to judge your idea nor if you should use the loan at all, as others have already enlightend you on it.

However - killing the idea because you don't have access to some random API? Seems like you weren't convinced of the idea yourself.

Short term solution: Do the magic sites prohibit you to data mine their listings in their ToS?
If not, time to get a bot to do some work, maybe even crawl through multiple sites to get a good average.

Long term solution: How do the other get their data on prices?
If the other sites don't update their prices or stop working, you're out of business anyway. To avoid that, you'll have to gather that data sooner or later for yourself. Cut out the middleman.

People in here give you shit for speculating on cards, but I actually think that's not even that bad. There are maniacs out there wasting energy in Bitcoin mining and speculating bazillions on it. At least you have some fancy names and pictures.

Knoxcore

🤔

This seems like a bad idea.

Pay off your loans immediately and bail the fuck out Jesus Christ dude.

Return it. Come back to the banks when you have a new business plan.

Sounds like a good scenario to pay that loan back asap.

Give it back before the interest gets to high.

I mean we can close this thread now, right?

Xtyle

maybe you should invest in my project. And I am serious. I need a damn rich partner to make it happen! I am aiming to make a set of characters like tabletop game characters or make a complete set like a chess set. But first, I need money to hire a good modeler to get my characters 3D sculpted...heck I would even give them Magic the Gathering type character names if you just hand me over the $$$ :p

and I think my website art will convience you to give me that sweet 40k that I badly...badly..need (yea I know you won't) :D
http://www.spoonfeedheroes.com/

Shameless plug...

s5CLwxa.jpg

t01APNr.jpg

SGNsH0A.jpg

iA14GiT.jpg

2yz4IAX.jpg

ODHPZy7.jpg

Your idea sounds profitable to me. I would return the money and cut my losses while I work on the concept some more. I think it can be doable but you need to do more investigation

I'm not going to judge your idea nor if you should use the loan at all, as others have already enlightend you on it.

However - killing the idea because you don't have access to some random API? Seems like you weren't convinced of the idea yourself.

Short term solution: Do the magic sites prohibit you to data mine their listings in their ToS?
If not, time to get a bot to do some work, maybe even crawl through multiple sites to get a good average.

If the other sites don't update their prices or stop working, you're out of business anyway. To avoid that, you'll have to gather that data sooner or later for yourself. Cut out the middleman.

People in here give you shit for speculating on cards, but I actually think that's not even that bad. There are maniacs out there wasting energy in Bitcoin mining and speculating bazillions on it. At least you have some fancy names and pictures.

Great points. Please consider all this OP

Ahahahahahahahahahaahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha you borrowed 40 grand before even realizing that your idea might not work?

How did someone give that money to you without checking?

Fixed

Also, OP, you don't need 40k to start a Magic investment portfolio website. Learn to program in your spare time and work while you go.

I just don't see how that's feasible. I am not in the least interested in programming. I have tried it and I find it impossibly dull and frequently over my head. I just don't have it in me.

It's not that I'm not convinced of the idea myself - I have a lot of faith in it. I just have not been able to devise an alternative to a card pricing API. If it's possible to data mine then I will bring that up to my developer.

My problem is that I don't have enough programming knowledge and so I don't have the whole picture, so when problems arise I don't have enough insight to figure out alternative paths. Your post has already helped me look into other paths, so I appreciate that.

Xtyle

Mind I ask you how this whole pricing with the Magic the Gathering cards is supposed to work? I don't collect cards or know much about them, other than there are rare cards that come in some decks randomly (not specific to Magic the Gathering, but for other card games I am aware of).

While I know little about card games, I do have a business selling products. For few years now actually so I am curious to know how your original plan is really supposed to work if you don't mind explaining it to someone who knows almost nothing about Magic the Gathering.

ameleco

I just don't see how that's feasible. I am not in the least interested in programming. I have tried it and I find it impossibly dull and frequently over my head. I just don't have it in me.

It's not that I'm not convinced of the idea myself - I have a lot of faith in it. I just have not been able to devise an alternative to a card pricing API. If it's possible to data mine then I will bring that up to my developer.

My problem is that I don't have enough programming knowledge and so I don't have the whole picture, so when problems arise I don't have enough insight to figure out alternative paths. Your post has already helped me look into other paths, so I appreciate that.

Eff the haters in this thread. You can probably make payments on the 40k and be fine even if the idea goes to crap because you work as an accountant. My thought, though, is that Magic has been around a long time and its weird to me that this idea already doesn't exist, actually (unlike the people who were like "woah wtf magic card pricing???") It just seems that if the idea were possible, it would've been made already, right? I'm not saying that's guaranteed but it feels like with the audience that magic has, this would've been a thing already.

Eff the haters in this thread. You can probably make payments on the 40k and be fine even if the idea goes to crap because you work as an accountant. My thought, though, is that Magic has been around a long time and its weird to me that this idea already doesn't exist, actually (unlike the people who were like "woah wtf magic card pricing???") It just seems that if the idea were possible, it would've been made already, right? I'm not saying that's guaranteed but it feels like with the audience that magic has, this would've been a thing already.

It's possible it doesn't exist, but the question at hand is "Is there a demand for this? At least large enough that it can support a profitable business?" Did OP do market research that made him believe this was a marketable idea? If so, then there's probably a way to pull it off if enough people are willing to pay for it.

Also, I played Magic the Gathering for the first time last weekend.

What the fuck is this game, I couldn't understand the rules after three hours.

Also as an accountant OP, you know better than to just keep the money while interest is hitting you on that shit. So no, don't make payments on the 40K for no fucking reason. Just cause you work as an accountant doesn't mean you should bleed money, so ignore anyone that says "Keep it, you'll figure it out." That's stupid.

ameleco

It's possible it doesn't exist, but the question at hand is "Is there a demand for this? At least large enough that it can support a profitable business?" Did OP do market research that made him believe this was a marketable idea? If so, then there's probably a way to pull it off if enough people are willing to pay for it.

Also, I played Magic the Gathering for the first time last weekend.

What the fuck is this game, I couldn't understand the rules after three hours.

That's all true. It's possible other people have looked into it and decided it wasn't viable and so it doesn't really exist.

Also random, but if you have one of the video games lying around you should try and learn from that, but the game is fairly complicated definitely (especially since they keep adding on random one set abilities, but maybe that's different now?)

Oh, and, to the OP, perhaps also look into how its done with other trading cards, like baseball.

The web developer quoted me at $31k to build the entire site from scratch with all the functionality I'm looking for. When I got that quote, I started looking for funding. I found it partially through a personal loan and partially through an SBA-backed loan. I submitted my detailed business plan and one year of cash flow projections, and I was approved.

I know my OP makes me seem like some kind of irresponsible loon, but I actually do have some idea of what I'm doing.

Where did you get the idea from and how much customer segment research did you do beforehand? Are your cash flow projections based on any false premises?

Xtyle

I would also suggest give it back and work on your business idea and see if you get a solid plan down..if you do, technically you could still get a new loan perhaps? This way you wouldn't have to be paying interest on it before anything even goes in motion.

That's all true. It's possible other people have looked into it and decided it wasn't viable and so it doesn't really exist.

Also random, but if you have one of the video games lying around you should try and learn from that, but the game is fairly complicated definitely (especially since they keep adding on random one set abilities, but maybe that's different now?)

Oh, and, to the OP, perhaps also look into how its done with other trading cards, like baseball.

I dunno, I feel like the game was especially boring cause I couldn't drink while the other guys were (I drove there). Also, these were some tournament playing mothafuckas, and I'm just confused as to why there's a sexy ice elf on this card.

eso76

That's too bad, the hydraulic setup they used to demo Forza 7 at E3 was 70k.
Maybe the bank can give you 30k more ?

SalvaPot

I mean, with 40k, why not do the best next thing? Open a Magic the Gathering shop. Get friends and acquaintances to get to know your shop, organize tournaments, sell other card games and tabletops on the side, since you are here in on GAF, maybe import and sell a few videogames.

And with that first-hand knowledge you can work on your idea for the future.

I mean, with 40k, why not do the best next thing? Open a Magic the Gathering shop. Get friends and acquaintances to get to know your shop, organize tournaments, sell other card games and tabletops on the side, since you are here in on GAF, maybe import and sell a few videogames.

And with that first-hand knowledge you can work on your idea for the future.

He said that there's too much competition in Charlotte on that front.

I take informed risks in my life. This time the risk looks like it may not pan out and I'm going to have to take the hit for it. That doesn't mean I make bad choices.

People said I was crazy for buying three houses as a pizza delivery guy too, but it's been 12 years since that started and it's still working out for me.

. . .
Be honest OP, do you have criminal contacts lending you money?

Top Bottom