• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't get a clear idea if this TV has HDR or not (Samsung UN40KU6290FXZA)

LowSignal

here is the input lag
1080p @ 60Hz : 19.8 ms
1080p With Interpolation : 109.9 ms
1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode : 122.4 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 : 36.7 ms
4k @ 60Hz : 20.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 : 36.7 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR : 20.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR : 36.7 ms

here is the input lag
1080p @ 60Hz : 19.8 ms
1080p With Interpolation : 109.9 ms
1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode : 122.4 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 : 36.7 ms
4k @ 60Hz : 20.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 : 36.7 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR : 20.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR : 36.7 ms

just want to reiterate I don't know what the use case scenario for 4k 10bit @ 60hz HDR 4:4:4 is. HDMI 2.0a doesn't support it. So when gaming at 4k HDR you'll be at 20ms.

Oh wait maybe I'm just implying they mean 10 bit everywhere here when in fact it's 8bit 4:4:4 and just not referenced.

inner-G

Banned
just want to reiterate I don't know what the use case scenario for 4k @ 60hz HDR 4:4:4 is. HDMI 2.0a doesn't support it. So when gaming at 4k HDR you'll be at 20ms.

If you have a PC hooked up and label it 'PC' you can use the 4:4:4 for cleaner text and detail at the sacrifice of some lag

Don't think it would be HDR though - maybe W10 will get it via a patch. 60fps Forza Horizon 3 with HDR would be sweet

People are so desperate to get an HDR TV, they literally don't care whether it is or not it seems. So much misinformation being spread by people who don't want to reach into their pockets
What's a better 65" TV for under a G?

I bought it a couple months ago, I could have bought a smaller ks8000, but to me the trade off in HDR is totally worth it to have a drastically larger TV. I'm going to play PC, Wii U, PS3/4, XBONE/360, movies, Netflix, old TV shows... all types of stuff that isn't HDR. Having a bigger screen for all that stuff easily is worth having less accurate HDR to me.

Would I like a 65" ks8000, yeah of course - but $999 was hard enough of a sell to the wife as it was 😅

If you have a PC hooked up and label it 'PC' you can use the 4:4:4 for cleaner text and detail at the sacrifice of some lag

Don't think it would be HDR though

Sorry read my edited text. I know that, but 10 bi 4:4:4 at 4k 60hz isn't supported. So they must just inherently mean 8 bit for PC mode but haven't stated as much. Can lead to confusion.

I'm a PC gamer using it as a monitor and 4:4:4 has always influenced my purchasing decision.

TwIsTeD

Grabbed one yesterday since its fairly cheap and I read mostly positive reviews about it being a decent PC monitor. So far the monitor part is definitely a yes and I`m gonna put it thru its paces with my PS4 Pro and some HDR stuff this week.

So far Titanfall 2, Battlefield One & Overwatch have been fantastic but honestly this HDR/Faux HDR thing is annoying and might be enough for me to return it.

I`m not supporting something labeled as HDR kinda but not really

Its HDR. Some tvs just do HDR better than others.

Let's not sugar coat this. It's technically HDR because it accepts the signal but what the true HDR experience is, this doesn't even remotely come close. It's like a 720p screen with a native res of 1360 x 768 taking a 1080p signal. It's not really 1080p despite you likely getting a better resolution than 720p. Two years from now, when we look back at what this capability is, it's going to be considered complete utter shit and not in the same league as what the content is supposed to look like. It's super half assed HDR and to keep pushing the line that it's HDR is going to be more confusing for people looking for a proper HDR implementation.

suikodan

There was a thread whose title was "HDR must the most confusing technlogy" here on GAF recently.

I couldn't agree more.

I have a UN55KU6500 that I bought on impulse. I got also a Xbox One S with it along with Gears 4.

I played the Xbox version on HDR and PC on "normal". Even though the PC version is way more detailed, for some reasons I found the Xbox version more colorful. Is it HDR? Is it placebo effect? Don't know.

I tried Infamous First Light and honestly, the colors are awesome. The pink trail of the girl when she's dashing, I was really impressed.

But, is it HDR?

Thanks for having this thread for Samsung UHD owners ;)

Reallink

Assuming this is indeed the 6300 (which I can not confirm), it's a very good display for the price. Effectively perfect SRGB/709 performance post calibration, very high native CR for an LCD, excellent input lag and 1080p scaling. I'd personally buy this AND next year's equivalent black friday model (probably with full meta-HDR10 support) before I'd buy that current $650 Sony 800d with 'real' but still pretty half assed HDR support (dat peak light output).

jorgejjvr

Ok, half of GAF will say I'm ruining the image by using dynamic contrast, but this is what looks good TO ME, seven feet back on my couch (KU6290, PS4 Pro):

Welcome to video games.

From what I can see, the 6600 is the Amazon-exclusive version of the 6500 (has a different stand). The 6500 is the curved version of the 6290 and 6300 that everyone in here is talking about. It's not true 10 bit HDR but it looks really good and will beat the pants off of an older, non-HDR TV. It also has low input lag, which is good for gaming obviously.
Thank you

Glad it's good for the price!

99Luffy

Banned
Let's not sugar coat this. It's technically HDR because it accepts the signal but what the true HDR experience is, this doesn't even remotely come close. It's like a 720p screen with a native res of 1360 x 768 taking a 1080p signal. It's not really 1080p despite you likely getting a better resolution than 720p. Two years from now, when we look back at what this capability is, it's going to be considered complete utter shit and not in the same league as what the content is supposed to look like. It's super half assed HDR and to keep pushing the line that it's HDR is going to be more confusing for people looking for a proper HDR implementation.
I agree that it pales in comparison but it would still be considered HDR the same way youtube '1080p' is still 1080p regardless of whether its blu ray quality.

Foxxsoxx

Bumpy as hell but I googled this and came up to this thread. I'm so conflicted on grabbing this TV. It's cheap as hell, but the entire reason I'd be getting a Pro is for the HDR/4k combo. So that's $700 right there and I'm not sure if thats the best investment.

n0razi

This thread along with all others circulating right now just tells me that nothing is standardized and I should just wait one or two years before purchasing, so that everything can settle.

Just get a B6 OLED... it has no flaws really

Geneijin

Bumpy as hell but I googled this and came up to this thread. I'm so conflicted on grabbing this TV. It's cheap as hell, but the entire reason I'd be getting a Pro is for the HDR/4k combo. So that's $700 right there and I'm not sure if thats the best investment.
Just get the Sony X800D, Hisense H8C or the Samsung KS8000 if you want to play it safe and have something right now.

Marty Chinn's not wrong. If you're buying a 4K TV without proper HDR you're not really making good choices with your money, IMO. For the vast majority of use cases, HDR is going to have a much more noticeable benefit than the resolution bump.

This thread along with all others circulating right now just tells me that nothing is standardized and I should just wait one or two years before purchasing, so that everything can settle.

That's not entirely true. Things are more or less standardized, but TV marketing is a dirty business and manufacturers will take their claims to the very edge of false advertisement. It creates a lot of unnecessary confusion.

Waiting isn't a bad idea if you don't feel a pressing need to upgrade, but there are relatively inexpensive options out there for people who want to jump in now. We have threads on this forum about the Sony 800D and the Samsung KS8000, the two TVs that are the easiest to recommend to gamers right now.

BreakAtmo

I've been looking at the local Australian equivalent, but I never could get past the lack of proper HDR, so I decided to wait. I told this to a local Samsung rep who frequently works at my local tech store, and a couple of weeks ago he said that he had gotten some preliminary information on the 2017 lineup. He doesn't have all the details yet, but based on what he's been told so far, it's looking very likely that one of the 2017 models will be a 40-incher with full, legit, 1000 nits + 10-bit panel HDR. I hope it turns out true.

Reallink

Just get the Sony X800D, Hisense H8C or the Samsung KS8000 if you want to play it safe and have something right now.

Wut? The H8C is largely on par with the 6290/6300, it adds no specs/features over it, and if anything is a hair worse in overall performance (much worse for gaming, with over twice the input lag of the Samsung). The 800D is literally more than twice the price to add expanded gamut, every other performance metric is effectively a wash. If you're paying a premium for "Real HDR", the 800D is the last set you should buy as it's peak light output is shit (even worse than the 6XXX Samsung's in question). The 8000 the only recommendation that makes any sense, but at $1000+, it's a poor buy Vs. the sub-$1500 55" B6/C6 OLED's can be had for. The 6300/6290 is unbeatable at $300, but it's a stop-gap set, not a future proof set. To be fair though, nothing right now is future proof with HDMI 2.1, dynamic metadata, and variable refresh rates on the immediate horizon.

Geneijin

Wut? The H8C is largely on par with the 6290/6300, it adds no specs/features over it, and if anything is a hair worse in overall performance (much worse for gaming, with over twice the input lag of the Samsung). The 800D is literally more than twice the price to add expanded gamut, every other performance metric is effectively a wash. If you're paying a premium for "Real HDR", the 800D is the last set you should buy as it's peak light output is shit (even worse than the 6XXX Samsung's in question). The 8000 the only recommendation that makes any sense, but at $1000+, it's a poor buy Vs. the sub-$1500 55" B6/C6 OLED's can be had for. The 6300/6290 is unbeatable at $300, but it's a stop-gap set, not a future proof set. To be fair though, nothing right now is future proof with HDMI 2.1, dynamic metadata, and variable refresh rates on the immediate horizon.
The Hisense H8C is better for size and price with similar performance compared to the Samsung KU6300. Game performance of the H8C is inferior compared to the other TVs, but if it's not a priority and you run on Cinema mode and whatnot anyway, you might not even care. The Sony XBR43X800D is adequate if you want better budget HDR. It doesn't have the the peak brightness of the KS8000 obviously, but it's also not competing in that price range except the XBR49X800D and maybe when the UN49KS8000 goes on sale for a similar price. But there's little reason to own the XBR49X800D when it's an IPS panel and the Samsung KS8000 exists for a few hundred more, but it has hit $650 before last December and it does have Sony image processing if that's a factor. Then there's the KS8000 if you want an even better budget HDR than the XBR43X800D essentially. Funnily, if we're talking about the 2016 LG OLED TVs, there hasn't been an authorized seller that has sold any of them for <$1000 at any point in time so far, so I don't think of them as a budget priced TV. But for a budget HDR TV, it's the minimum I would suggest over the KS8000 if we're talking about a true budget HDR TV and disregarding price. The KS8000 isn't the only choice though. Depends on your priorities, budget and whatever else really. If you can still find the Samsung KU6300 for $300, there are worst things to get like the Sony XBR43X800D for $650 if you're looking for alternatives.

Banamy

I have a samsung ku6300. It has good hdr but not full hdr. You can only get the best hdr from ks8000 and up. Id recommend the ku6300 series, low input lag for a 4ktv with great picture. HDR is definitely noticeable on my set.

Madness

Not necessarily. Yes the higher the brightness level the better for HDR. But 400 nits sustained brightness is more than enough to actually take note of the HDR. I have both a KS8000 in 65" and a 43" X800D. Both sets display HDR content superbly, obviously the KS8000 gets far brighter, but it doesn't have 1100 nits sustained like you think. It drops to 500 or so etc. A wide color gamut is the #1 thing that impacts HDR over everything else because you actually get to see expanded colors and accuracy.

Otherwise you are not really getting anything with a Samsung set without the wide color gamut. The HDR data may help improve the image somewhat, but rather than not full brightness HDR10, it isnt't even low brightness HDR. It is essentially an SDR image that attempts to mimic HDR. It will give you a better image than another 4K SDR image, but any HDR set with a wide color gamut will give you a superior picture.

Top Bottom