• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leak: portable Borderlands game announced for iPhone & iPad

Lucifon

Welcome to 2012 - where a small iOS release can make a much greater return on investment than if they were to assign a larger studio to create a vita version. This is just the state of the industry, and is why we'll see this happen more and more.

KissVibes

Banned
I bet it's nothing like the real borderlands, it will probably be a twin stick shooter.

So it's an experience suited for portable devices and not some cheap imitation of the Borderlands console/ps experience? Sweet.

If it stays iOS excslive I'll just have to get an ipad but hopefully it'll shuffle it's way onto Windows Phone / WinRT.

Drek

Welcome to 2012 - where a small iOS release can make a much greater return on investment than if they were to assign a larger studio to create a vita version. This is just the state of the industry, and is why we'll see this happen more and more.

Sure. Its one step away from happening to Nintendo handhelds as well. There is no single dominant portable OS in Japan yet and the market hasn't exploded quite like the U.S. has from a hardware standpoint at the expense of dedicated gaming handhelds, but it's coming.

Its a scary place to be if dedicated gaming handhelds are an interest of yours. The "do everything" devices aren't competing on the same footing from a hardware standpoint as they're cost-subsidized by phone plans. That is a powerful gateway drug that then helps move tablets with the same OS. So knowing that why would a 3rd party willingly pay for special dev kits, royalty fees, etc. for a smaller audience than they can get without all those additional fees?

We're watching the death of dedicated handheld gaming.

SteveWD40

Sure. Its one step away from happening to Nintendo handhelds as well. There is no single dominant portable OS in Japan yet and the market hasn't exploded quite like the U.S. has from a hardware standpoint at the expense of dedicated gaming handhelds, but it's coming.

Its a scary place to be if dedicated gaming handhelds are an interest of yours. The "do everything" devices aren't competing on the same footing from a hardware standpoint as they're cost-subsidized by phone plans. That is a powerful gateway drug that then helps move tablets with the same OS. So knowing that why would a 3rd party willingly pay for special dev kits, royalty fees, etc. for a smaller audience than they can get without all those additional fees?

Nail meet head.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 3DS2 or whatever is Japan only, I really don't see a market outside of Japan for handhelds at all these days.

It's sad as I loved the PSP / DS / GBA and I love the idea of a fully portable console, much more than I do iOS gaming (which I do from time to time), but we have to face the reality that for the developers the choice is easy.

Nail meet head.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 3DS2 or whatever is Japan only, I really don't see a market outside of Japan for handhelds at all these days.

It's sad as I loved the PSP / DS / GBA and I love the idea of a fully portable console, much more than I do iOS gaming (which I do from time to time), but we have to face the reality that for the developers the choice is easy.

Hahaha... what? Portable game systems aren't going anywhere... the absolute "worst" case scenario from Nintendo and Sony next portable generation? They'll just put a cell receiver into a seperate model of their systems, change the form factor slightly and wham, Nintendo PhoneDS or Vita+!

Hell, Vita is less than a step away from that since most models already have a cell antenna and 3g card.

There are always going to be those that seek for a more portable console like experience, and thanks to Jobs total hatred for "gaming", we're not going to see an iphone with a built in controller, and no developer is going to design games with a cheap third party option in mind as a necessity.

Dabanton

Hahaha... what? Portable game systems aren't going anywhere... the absolute "worst" case scenario from Nintendo and Sony next portable generation? They'll just put a cell receiver into a seperate model of their systems, change the form factor slightly and wham, Nintendo PhoneDS or Vita+!

Maybe not in Japan but elsewhere I could see that happening.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
As much as I love them...I don't wanna play games on my iDevices. I want to play them on my 3DS and Vita.

Want a standalone BL Vita game so bad.

SteveWD40

Hell, Vita is less than a step away from that since most models already have a cell antenna and 3g card.

There are always going to be those that seek for a more portable console like experience, and thanks to Jobs total hatred for "gaming", we're not going to see an iphone with a built in controller, and no developer is going to design games with a cheap third party option in mind as a necessity.

I hope you are right...

Pezking

Leak: portable Borderlands game announced

NE0jQ.gif

for iPhone & iPad

url]

I bet it's nothing like the real borderlands, it will probably be a twin stick shooter.

If it's a dungeon/corridor crawl borderlands style RPG-ish twin stick shooter with upgrades and skill trees? uh...sign me up! I'd prefer that over an iOS FPS any day! what i HOPE it's not (and I'm sure that it is), is similar to Mass Effect.

that no work.

Derrick01

Banned
Wow... Not sure where they are going with this, but I can't really see an iOS Borderlands that is remotely like the actual game, it would be nice if they went a separate direction with it but kept it in the same universe but it doesn't seem like they are.

Of course it's not going to be anything like the real game. That's impossible to do well on ios.

Takao

Banned
Yeah, it's pretty safe to say this isn't going to contain the same gameplay as the console versions. Randy seemed pretty adamant that his dream for Borderlands on Vita was to be able to play the same game on the go, and transfer saves once at home. If this game was going to be that expansive why would it only be on iOS?

Kouriozan

lets be real, vita and 3ds are more portable console experiences than they are handheld gaming.

It's more important to have different experiences/games on handheld.
If they are going to launch the same game on console and handheld, then something is wrong, you don't play on handheld like you would on console.
And yes, handhelds include smartphone/tablet now.

Wasn't there a cover-based Mass Effect game for iOS that came out around ME3? Was it any good?

From the description of this game it sounds like it's doing a similar thing.

Yopis

Wow thought this was a real game then saw it was for ios lame. Hopefully after devs stop trying to take us back in time with this ios garbage a vita version will emerge. Love iphone but not for games. Seems like this might end up like the mass effect game.

If it was a top down, twin stick shooter with a big world and RPG elements (basically just BL from a top down perspective), this would be fine.

Wow thought this was a real game then saw it was for ios lame. Hopefully after devs stop trying to take us back in time with this ios garbage a vita version will emerge. Love iphone but not for games. Seems like this might end up like the mass effect game.

iOS doesn't have real games confirmed, eventually people are going to have to accept iOS as a gaming platform.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
What I wouldn't mind is an app that let you compare characters and weapons with people on your fiends list. Kin I like Waypoint from Reach.

While I would prefer a Vita version, its hard to get mad at the company trying to sell me a 99¢ game. If its good then I'll give it a shot (assuming I have an iPad by the time it comes out)

Oh ye of little faith. Japan will hold strong! Believe in Buttons - Believe in Japan

What I wouldn't mind is an app that let you compare characters and weapons with people on your fiends list. Kin I like Waypoint from Reach.

There's an unofficial Android app, but it is basically just the skill calculator you can use online. It's completely bare-bones, but it's nice if you just want to see what specs you can make.

I agree that an official, fully featured app with gun/character/friend info would be pretty cool.

Will check it out if it runs on my itouch. Hopefully it doesn't turn out like Rage ios, that was pretty boring.

I like how the thread has turned into a "ios vs dedicated handhelds garbage thread" redux.

While I would prefer a Vita version, its hard to get mad at the company trying to sell me a 99¢ game. If its good then I'll give it a shot (assuming I have an iPad by the time it comes out)

Oh ye of little faith. Japan will hold strong! Believe in Buttons - Believe in Japan

Square enix released like half a dozen different games on iOS in the past half year.

Can't say the same for 3ds and vita.

Capcom is big for iOS as well.

Buttons are crumbling bro.

:(

kitch9

Banned

It's completely beyond me how people can get play games on a touch screen and enjoy it... It's fucking white on a biblical scale.

It's completely beyond me how people can get play games on a touch screen and enjoy it... It's fucking white on a biblical scale.

All it takes is the right game and a period of adjustment. We all started playing games somewhere, and most of us probably took awhile to adjust to the controller we started with. I know I was always stopping to look down at my hands and the controller as I adjusted. Even now when I play a game using a controller I haven't used in a long time there's a period of getting use to it again where I sometimes look down.

Top Bottom