• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Console War III: Sony's first jab at Microsoft: "Jump Out", "Yoga Isn't Gaming"

Ahasverus

This Kaz Hirai stuff is getting insufferable.

tumblr_mi3mi1hdWH1s5o3aso2_250.gif

kuroshiki

The only major money loser is Bing. Windows Phones might not sell much, but they still make a decent amount of money.

Why you put Windows 8 in there I don't know. An OS that sells 60 million licenses in its first 2 months is hardly something to worry about.

Windows RT is not selling at all. Windows phone never made money. In fact I don't think they even recuperated fraction of R&D money. (They goddamn spent more than 1 billion for Nokia alone) I'm happy to be proven wrong, however. So bring me some fact.

Windows 8 supposed to be the hub for everything. The only reason why it is selling 60 million licenses is because of OEM. Despite of launching of new OS, PC market shrunk and win8 failed to gain momentum. If that doesn't tell you something I don't know what would.

Cipherr

This shit's getting exciting. I finally feel like the new gen is REALLY starting. I'm firmly in the camp that generation is defined by timeframe, but WiiU is just drab and unexciting. The next Xbox and PS are clearly going to be where its at. Can't wait until the 20th. I hope they are able to retain free online gaming next gen.

Soul_Pie

If Sony can back up its words with actions it will have my support, MS has really disappointed me over the past 3 years as they're heading in a direction I don't like. Strangely enough I've done a full turn around, MS nailed the 360 early on save for the RROD, stuff like Crackdown, Viva Pinata, Lost Odyssey, their hearts were in it and MS delivered gamers a diverse library initially. Now it seems that on the software side they are content to rely on a couple of big franchises, let third parties do the work and reconfigure the console into a jack of all trades master of none. Sony, after initially dropping the ball with price and lack of software early on have committed entirely to their library, have introduced the brilliant PS+ and most importantly seem to be catering to gamers needs above all else.

Of course, Microsoft's direction makes sense financially but it's at odds with what I want from a console, so I probably won't be supporting them unless we've all been misled entirely. I'm not ready to write them off just yet though but all signs point to me not even bothering with the nextbox.

Baby Milo

The general feeling right now is that the Wii U is underperforming and that microsoft is going kinect/entertainment.

This is the perfect attitude for Sony to take. Games. Games. Games.

It's not often that sony marketing gets something right. I think it's freaking us all out.

this makes sense

can't wait for the 20th

Shayan

Banned
Eh, I guess.

I gotta admit, these gifs are amazing and fucking hilarious.

Not really, this is my first GAF console war. Thing is, I hate seeing a page full of terrible jokes that don't make sense. Like "Jump Out"

Next gen battle will be short dude

The winner will be decided within months from global release

This is not a PS3 vs X360 battle, where ps3 took 6 years to beat it. Trust me man, this will be just like the NES/PS2 era. The winner will be decided within months

SPDIF

Windows RT is not selling at all. Windows phone never made money. In fact I don't think they even recuperated fraction of R&D money. (They goddamn spent more than 1 billion for Nokia alone) I'm happy to be proven wrong, however. So bring me some fact.

Windows 8 supposed to be the hub for everything. The only reason why it is selling 60 million licenses is because of OEM. Despite of launching of new OS, PC market shrunk and win8 failed to gain momentum. If that doesn't tell you something I don't know what would.

According to Microsoft's latest earnings release "Windows Phone revenue increased $546 million, including patent licensing revenue and increased sales of Windows Phone licenses.". That's revenue, not pure profit obviously(it also includes their Android licensing), but I'd imagine that yes Windows Phone is making them some money.

I would go on to discuss Windows 8, but it's currently 4:53 am here in the UK, and I'd rather not spend a minute longer than I need to in replying to you (not to mention we're going off topic). What I will say, is that in my original point I was just responding to this specific part of your post, "They are bleeding resources on Mobile phone, Windows 8, Bing, etc". I was just saying that regardless of how well (or not) MS are doing in actually achieving their goal they certainly are not losing much money doing it.

Selling licenses to OEMs or directly to consumers, it's all just money as far as MS are concerned.

I haven't been around Gaming for a while.

Is GAF finally too old for console wars?

*By console wars I don't mean "My console is better than yours!", I mean people saying something negative, sincere or otherwise, about a console and people losing their shit.

neobiz

Enjoy the ride kids.

As a consumer, I'm not interested in any one mf in having control over me. That said, I hope Sony gets that ass.

I haven't been around Gaming for a while.

Is GAF finally too old for console wars?

*By console wars I don't mean "My console is better than yours!", I mean people saying something negative, sincere or otherwise, about a console and people losing their shit.

It's ridiculous, you aren't allowed to say anything negative about anything without getting a bucket of bile thrown at your head.

The word dissapointing is not politically correct anymore on gaf.

Hell, you don't even have to have opinions get to people in warrior mode, just making an observation like 'batman wii u is not a different game than batman on ps3/360/pc' will get you a bunch of hate and will get you instantly labeled as having an agenda or being in 'the other camp'.

I've been accused of being a 'hater' AND 'fanboy' for every platform (including pc) in different threads, ironically while expressing dislike for a choice or feature of all the different systems and manufacturers in those threads combined:p

You should try going into a gt5 thread and point out that the game doesn't look like those tiny gifs when played at full resolution on a tv =p you'll get lynched.
A few members of PC gaf are really bad too , if you point out that GPU prices doubled over 3 years time while die surface sizes shrunk you get a year worth of pent up bile directed at you :p

SparkTR

It's going to be interesting to see who wins out, Sony with a more traditional console and Microsoft with an all-in-one entertainment hub. I expect there to be some tears when everything is said and done. I agree with the above poster, it's going to be a short battle and the loser is going to go through a slow death.

vivftp

... Sony is gonna crush everyone in the next gen wars. This is my official prediction.

Someone remember to quote me in 8-9 years please? :)

Love the smack talking by Sony here. It tells me they're confident in what they've got to show.

If only I wasn't working during the conference on the 20th :( At least I'll have the internet to keep me updated.

seat

Sony does what Microsofdon't.

Feels too reactionary and not a good way to go about promoting a new console. Just ask Sega.

ari

Banned
dumbass kaz avatars and gifs are annoying. Why do these guys here feel the need to bite off of the nintendo fanboys?

... Sony is gonna crush everyone in the next gen wars. This is my official prediction.

Someone remember to quote me in 8-9 years please? :)

Love the smack talking by Sony here. It tells me they're confident in what they've got to show.

If only I wasn't working during the conference on the 20th :( At least I'll have the internet to keep me updated.

I don't think they will crush everyone, but I am also picking them to win next gen. This is coming from a nintendo fan.

"Here at Sony, we know what gaming is. It clearly isn't a touch screen and it definitely isn't yoga. We know that core gamers want the precision of a PC with the comfort and peace of mind of a home console. That's why we're pleased to announce that we've added a
track pad to our new Dual Shock controller.
"

I know it's only a couple of tweets, but I like this direction Sony is taking. Reminds me of Sega/Nintendo 16 bit and the PSX/PS2 ads for some reason. Hope their new ad agency is up to the challenge.

Top Bottom