• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Year in Review: Studios that closed this year

I never bought anything by any of them. No tears here.

Edit: Well, I did get Wipeout HD for free after the PSN outage and it was very good. So I guess that's sad.

500px-Hudson.svg.png

*Uses Phoenix Down*

500px-Nd_Cube_Logo.svg.png

Owned by:

500px-Nintendo.svg.png

Suddenly things feel right again. :)

The only one that makes me sad is Studio Liverpool. I will miss WipeOut on PS4/Orbis.

I can't wait till people blame the hardware for these studio closers in six months.

Edit:
Nevermind... it's already happening in this thread!

I shed a tear for Studio Liverpool aka Psygnosis. So much fun growing up with Creepers (why does no one remember this!?), motherfucking Kula World, F1 games, Rollcage and Wipeout.

The rest of the devs on the list - mistakes were made, consequences happen. I feel empathy for those who lost their jobs but that's just about it.

I shed a tear for Studio Liverpool aka Psygnosis. So much fun growing up with Creepers (why does no one remember this!?), motherfucking Kula World, F1 games, Rollcage and Wipeout.

The rest of the devs on the list - mistakes were made, consequences happen. I feel empathy for those who lost their jobs but that's just about it.
I don't see how Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool gets a free pass with your condolences when the other's don't. If you want to look at it objectively, they've made just as big of mistakes as any other - not seeing the writings on the wall on Futuristic Racers (or just racers in general), not seeing their turf being stepped on within the same publisher (Evolution), and not adapting to change.

Wait till all Zynga's start coming in :/

Sony's studio drop is sad but their cutting costs; am hoping there building a larger internal studio in Japan similar to what Nintendo has.

Their output last gen has been plentiful; but outside of a few studios pretty sub-par in terms of first party games.

Such a sad reality. I can't fathom how awful next gen is going to be for smaller developers.

You forgot BioWare.

aTuOZ.jpg

BioWare Corp
Company founded in 1995 by doctors Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk that created such esteemed games such as Baldur's Gate I and II, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age. Formed a partnership with Pandemic Studios in 2005 under the direction of Elevation Partners, before being acquired by Electronic Arts in 2007. They went on to release the Mass Effect series, Dragon Age, and Star Wars: The Old Republic. Sadly, it was confirmed in 2012 that the soul of BioWare was, in fact, dead, and all that is left is the rotting carcass.

*rolls eyes*

How original. I guess the commercial success, the critical acclaim, and are the awards are bad for the soul.

I don't see how Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool gets a free pass with your condolences when the other's don't. If you want to look at it objectively, they've made just as big of mistakes as any other - not seeing the writings on the wall on Futuristic Racers (or just racers in general), not seeing their turf being stepped on within the same publisher (Evolution), and not adapting to change.

They get a free pass because they actually made good games.

Gadirok

They get a free pass because they actually made good games.

Kinda harsh to say to the other studios since Kingdoms of Amalur was a good game and Hudson was an incredible dev. I had some good times with mario party and I loved it for what it was (I only played the original one).

Liverpool was on a amazing track record, so to cut them short was a bad idea.

I don't understand why they even did it considering the success of WipEout HD.

I was a fan back during pulse and was incredibly sad the dlc from EU never hit NA.

2048 didn't match my expectations of HD and pulse (I would honestly rather play the HD port in 2048 than 2048 itself) but it wasn't bad and it did provide a fair challenge.

Top Bottom