• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite - Story Trailer 3 [Up: Final roster is 30 characters]

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
worst fighting game roster ever.....I've played fighting games with six to eight chara with better rosters.

Astral

Not to mention that all of the characters for MvC3 were made from scratch, and a large number of them weren't in MvC2.

Here? Well, let's just say we all know why it's still Re5 Chris and DMC3 Dante.

You would think that at the very least the game would have DMC4 Dante.

Big0Bear

So am I.

It looks like cheesy, harmless fun with lots of recognizable characters interacting. That's all I wanted from story mode.

Tekken 7 reuses animations like no other video game ever.

Tekken 7 has animations from 2 decades ago still in it.

Don't even go there, lol.

cap didnt reuse stuff from Tvc to MvC3 to MvCi? I still dont see why we dont hold them to a higher standard. I think if we did they would stop half assing (and I mean overall not just MvCi)

BiggNife

2 and 3 didn't have a full length, fully animated, fully scripted and voice acted movies packaged in them.

That's basically what story mode is, whether you like story mode or not.

Takes a LOT of resources to make something that actually looks very involved.

Getting ridiculous how much people are downplaying the amount of effort it requires. If those old games put even an ounce of effort into their stories (which people demanded, BTW) their rosters wouldn't have been as big as they were.

If the story mode actually lives up to its promise, then maybe I'll be a bit more forgiving. This trailer was good, but the story mode E3 demo was awful. And after SFV's story, I've yet to be convinced that Capcom can pull off a story mode on the same level as Netherrealm, but I'm going in cautiously optimistic.

Also, cutscene designers and character designers are two different things. Of course I understand that a story mode takes resources, but the idea that it's taking away from adding new characters really doesn't add up for me.

kirblar

MvC3 vanilla had 36 characters not counting DLC or the characters added in Ultimate. Infinite charging $30 extra to get the same number of characters a 6 year old game had is pretty horseshit.

What Capcom should be doing is making the character DLC free and charging only for cosmetic stuff like other games have been doing lately, but this is Capcom and they have no idea how to please a community so this game is boned.
That only works w large playerbases. Fighting games cannot support that model.

AAK

I'm gonna support this game and everything but that Capcom roster is such a tragedy, Especially Capcom's fighting game representation. Ryu has to be the most unfortunate mascot to represent a company... he really doesn't provide much room for creativity in the movelist aesthetic.

Skilletor

https://twitter.com/TheStreetWriter/status/898203385647824897

Posted?

Z194KJr.jpg

The week DBZ releases , infinite will have an updated version with DLC characters or a fighting game of the year edition
Count on it
It's a business, they can see DBZ coming fast and ready to take over the fighting world.

Trailer looked pretty good, nemmy hype
Roster is small but oh well
People are still on this "DBF will outsell GTAV" meme? It'll be lucky to get 2.5M in a whole year.

If this game with all its "season 1" DLC was in game Id be hyped but I still dont think its a day one buy for me. Looks better though. I hear there will be no Japanese vo for the capcom characters is that true?
That unfortunately seems like the case.

Even MVC2 had more effort put in the roster holy fucking shit
Whoa, it isn't that bad.

I feel like the number itself isn't bad. Just the breakdown. Only 4 ladies, only 6 new characters.
Exactly this. SFV had 16 characters made 100% from scratch vs MvCI's 6. I understand that porting characters is still a lot of work, but they could've at least gone with 2 more newcomers for a nice 75-25 split.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
My main complaints about the game are:

- Roster size (as far as returning to new characters ratio)

- Art style, it just doesn't look as "flashy" in some spots that you would expect from a Capcom fighter, mainly the UI looks like they barely even tried. Also I don't really like the shift into more "realistic" characters. Should have went back to 2D or took what MvC3 did and maybe spruced it up a little..or have ARC System Works help out :)

- Voice direction. Don't like some of the replacements, and Thanos just sounds off to me. I know they used his actor from the cartoon but its not what I would picture Thanos to sound like...his MCU voice is spot on though.

- Roster choices. This is pretty big for me, but I really dislike the super safe choices all around, Capcom disappointed me a little cause I figured at least on THEIR side they'd get more creative. X and Jedah is cool but....that's pretty much it. Marvel is just MCU and whoever else from MvC3/UMvC3 so that was to be expected I guess

Overall I still may play or pick it up...but it won't be at launch. Probably gonna wait until the rest of the DLC pack 1 characters drop. Game looks okay but I am kinda disappointed though.

Big0Bear

That only works w large playerbases. Fighting games cannot support that model.

I think they could support it. They could have loot drops like overwatch and charge real money for more boxes. Or do the fight money way but make everything purchasable with real or fight money.

Jawmuncher

Only 30? That means we know the whole roster now.
The lack of newcomers is hugely apparent and now the season pass feels like stuff which should've been in the game. Especially in the case of Sigma and Black Panther who are in the game.

I can wait for a better deal.

At least the Story Mode trailer was good and they fixed Chuns Face

Xeroblade

Coming from MvC3 that roster is abysmal, trailer looked ok, something still looks off about it. I blame all the other flashy fighting games.

Alienous

Black Panther as DLC is still unforgivable bullshit.

No X-Men and they still withhold Black Panther. That move alone means I'll shed no tears if the sales of this underwhelm Capcom.

Jawmuncher

That's a whole bunch of bullshit. MvC2 was the single biggest sprite rip/ recycling job EVER. On MvCI's worst day they didn't do that garbage

MvC 2 even being a sprite dump gets away with a lot just do to the sheer number of characters. Had MVCI brought everyone back from MVC3 and lacked newcomers. You'd see less complaints just due to the sheer size.'

So does that confirm that Monster Hunter is DLC?

yep. Jedah was the only real surprise.

NotLiquid

It kinda looks like they fixed Chris' face too.

Dante's face is harder to tell cause he's barely in view. Him and Spencer were the only other characters that looked "off" compared to everyone else.

Neoxon

I guess Monster Hunter is in Season 1. Not sure about Venom, but they'll probably have to jump through hoops to explain if he's in S1 (early S2 is a possibility).

And yeah, they fixed Chun's face.

Top Bottom