• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI: Shannon Loftis on Exclusives, MS Studios, Success of New IP, Scalebound and More

Wereroku

She answers the new IP question without talking about Ori or Cuphead... c'mon now, those are the best Xbox games released this gen. I would hope Shanon recognizes that.

They don't own Cuphead so they wouldn't mention it here. Not sure about Ori though as that relationship seems much closer.

Does MS still hold the IP given everything that had occurred? I would hope Platnium are free to do whatever they want with it given it was supposed to be their dream game.

As far as we know MS owns the IP and would own any assets created for it.

bitbydeath

I kind of wish Platinum had the money to buy it back and finish it but I doubt MS would be up for that anyway.

Does MS still hold the IP given everything that had occurred? I would hope Platnium are free to do whatever they want with it given it was supposed to be their dream game.

MCD

This is PR extreeeeeeme. If I were the interviewer I would leave after that Nier comment.

She's clueless.

daTRUballin

Definitely. Sundown looked hellish. Some of it gave me a Last of Us vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5cr3SCx6Dk

When I say they could’ve been their Naughty Dog, I’m not just talking about the types of games Rare could’ve been releasing. I meant that Rare could’ve been a huge studio for MS in the same way ND is for Sony.

I think both ND and Rare are perfect examples of how incompetent MS is with their first party studios compared to Sony. After Sony bought ND, ND just started going from strength to strength with every passing generation and has been widely regarded as a top tier studio and one of the best developers in the industry. And Rare? Where the hell are they now? Why don’t we hear about them anymore? Back in the 90’s, they were one of the best and most influential developers in the industry and were in a similar position ND is in now. Maybe even to a larger degree. After MS bought them, they just fell off the face of the Earth.

You’d think a Microsoft-owned Rare would be better than what they are now, but no. Of course not. I do acknowledge Rare shares some blame as well, but as it turned out, MS was of no help whatsoever. And that’s a damn shame. Should’ve just stayed with Nintendo, I guess. Say what you want about Nintendo, but at least they know how to handle their studios and work with their partners.

EdgeXL

They don't own Cuphead so they wouldn't mention it here. Not sure about Ori though as that relationship seems much closer.

As far as we know MS owns the IP and would own any assets created for it.

Microsoft owns Ori. The lead posted that here on GAG. You're correct about Cuphead.

Wereroku

Microsoft owns Ori. The lead posted that here on GAG. You're correct about Cuphead.

Yeah I remember the Cuphead dev saying they own the IP but not the publishing rights. So they could do whatever they wanted to on a Cuphead 2.

It is odd she doesn't mention Ori then. It is a beautiful and fun game definitely one of their best new ips.

Look, many people said that Platinum would be in trouble after I cancelled their game. Right? Many people, OK? But I cancelled it and they are better than ever. Everyone is saying such good things about them. Frankly we can’t support them forever. They always want everything handed to them. But I am always with them.

Make Xbox Great Again.

see5harp

It’s like you guys think that any response ever given by a top executive is never not going to be PR. Get a fucking grip on reality.

I'll take Sunset Overdrive over any other new IP this gen. Easily.

Coincidentally the only noteworthy exclusive on the platform.

I'm okay with a game being cancelled but did they really have to wait this long, while showing that amount of footage before pulling the plug so hard?

I mean, might as well stop feeding an endless pit but it is an interesting topic from a project management perspective.

I hope Microsoft find success in the GaaS area. At least it will differentiate the consoles.

Best wishes.

Microsoft has definitely dropped the ball on new IP this gen. They've had no killer titles like Halo or Gears were for the original Xbox and 360.

I agree, but I think their hard push for cross play is giving me huge amounts of respect from them this generation. It looks like they're putting all their focus on making an amazing experience for all the gamers they can regardless of platform the year or two. It's probably been under plans since before knowing the draught beforehand. If they nail it down this generation and put all they got for exclusives next generation or late this gen, Sony is done for next time around since people on Xbox, PC and Switch will get their systems of choice and play with each other from how it looks.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Happy that ReCore will most likely be getting a sequel

With adequate time and a proper budget (as well as a switch to UE4), it could be Microsoft’s Metroid or Zelda.

PLEASE don’t twist my words into saying it could be as good/big as those. I’m saying it could be their equivalent from a portfolio/franchise perspective.

Sponge

Banned
When I say they could’ve been their Naughty Dog, I’m not just talking about the types of games Rare could’ve been releasing. I meant that Rare could’ve been a huge studio for MS in the same way ND is for Sony.

I think both ND and Rare are perfect examples of how incompetent MS is with their first party studios compared to Sony. After Sony bought ND, ND just started going from strength to strength with every passing generation and has been widely regarded as a top tier studio and one of the best developers in the industry. And Rare? Where the hell are they now? Why don’t we hear about them anymore? Back in the 90’s, they were one of the best and most influential developers in the industry and were in a similar position ND is in now. Maybe even to a larger degree. After MS bought them, they just fell off the face of the Earth.

You’d think a Microsoft-owned Rare would be better than what they are now, but no. Of course not. I do acknowledge Rare shares some blame as well, but as it turned out, MS was of no help whatsoever. And that’s a damn shame. Should’ve just stayed with Nintendo, I guess. Say what you want about Nintendo, but at least they know how to handle their studios and work with their partners.

Ah, my bad. I get what you were trying to say now. I definitely agree. There was a point in time when Naughty Dog was looking at Rare's work for inspiration. Naughty Dog had remade a track from Diddy Kong Racing to test their engine for Crash Team Racing. Now look at them both. The two studios are complete opposites now.

Flipyap

"When we make game decisions, we ask ourselves: Is this the right game? Is it the right experience? Is it the right time? And unless we can answer yes to all three, we won’t continue on with a development cycle."
Welp, I guess that's it. RIP literally every Microsoft franchise except Forza and Minecraft.

"And you know, Platinum is obviously doing great. They came out with Nier: Automata, and I thought that was an incredible game, and I’m super excited to see what they do next."
Obviously. Doing great is exactly what you call a developer that narrowly avoided sinking when Scalebound got cancelled.

I get that these questions don't exactly have an answer that makes Microsoft look good, but that's some painfully hollow PR babble.

Happy that ReCore will most likely be getting a sequel

With adequate time and a proper budget (as well as a switch to UE4), it could be Microsoft’s Metroid or Zelda.

PLEASE don’t twist my words into saying it could be as good/big as those. I’m saying it could be their equivalent from a portfolio/franchise perspective.

The more I played the more I disliked it. I see potential in it, strange as that sounds, for something much better in future. The lead character and the charming robots are a good start.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The more I played the more I disliked it. I see potential in it, strange as that sounds, for something much better in future. The lead character and the charming robots are a good start.

That’s what I was kinda leaning towards. The first game obviously has some serious flaws (I still liked it) but it’s all correctable for a sequel. The foundations are there for something great in the future.

Jumeira

Banned
Really poor answers, i really dont have any faith in Loftis, she says so much that i dont agree with, she seems disconnected from gamers, i want MS to rotate her out as im quite fearful of her strategy and thinking towards gaming.

Would gladly take another quantum or recore .

I would just be happy with any new exclusive game (Xbox is gathering dust waiting ).

Hurry up crackdown.

kadotsu

Banned
Where does this hope for ReCore 2 come from? The game failed twice commercially. The game is also still a buggy mess on PC. Next year will be a good indicator of what XBOX is all about now. You'll get the new State of Decay, Crackdown and Sea of Thieves storefronts, that will deliver the most random purchase experience ever.

That’s what I was kinda leaning towards. The first game obviously has some serious flaws (I still liked it) but it’s all correctable for a sequel. The foundations are there for something great in the future.

Time will tell I guess. Not a fan of Loftis to be honest, she doesn't give me much enthusiasm, I thought her and Greenberg came across really phony at Gamescom (yes PR I know but some don't make it aa uncomfortable to watch/listen to).

I'm hoping you end up being right and Recore gets a great game out of itself some day. Could Rare do a job perhaps?

I think Quantum Break is a really good example of a world and a phenomenon where there’s still a lot of story that we can tell.

Announcing ReCore: Definitive Edition was a little bit of a signal to people that got into the world of Far Eden and fell in love with these characters that we believe that that’s an IP with a lot of legs.

giphy.gif

I should be shocked about the Platinum comment, but then again this is the same company who screwed over Darkside with Phantom Dust

While I understand what you are getting at Darkside is hardly in the same sort of league as Platinum Games. Fortunately their reputation and talent saved them from suffering the same fate but the comments made here come across as ignorant or incredibly callous. Neither is a good look.

I don't understand how MS dropped the ball so badly on the platform exclusives. Its what sells the PS4, 3DS, Switch, etc. Xbox One has got none of it (or it did in the very beginning and now its as dry as the fields in California).

What were they thinking?

Rymuth

"And you know, Platinum is obviously doing great."

Almost sociopathic hand washing there.
I know, right? That deflection at the first question was a smh moment too.

Look, many people said that Platinum would be in trouble after I cancelled their game. Right? Many people, OK? But I cancelled it and they are better than ever. Everyone is saying such good things about them. Frankly we can’t support them forever. They always want everything handed to them. But I am always with them.

For a minute there, I thought you were channeling Trump!

jaypah

Shit answers but honestly they've put themselves in a shit position in a lot of ways so that's to be expected.

Also equating any of these game companies to Trump is like throwing a match on gasoline. Especially the not so popular, under-performing American console. You're begging fanboys to run to Stupid Town with that lol.

wapplew

What was Shannon Loftis old job before she become head of MS studio publishing?
VP Phil Spencer need to step in and right the ship like he did with service and hardware of Xbox.
Loftis clearly not good enough for the job.

black070

:p

daTRUballin

For a minute there, I thought you were channeling Trump!

Because of your post, I read Y2Kev’s post in Trump’s voice, and it’s perfect! XD

Top Bottom