• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

EasyMode

I didn't realize that if you put your summon sign down in the Ringed City, you could be summoned as a
Spear of the Church

I lived up to my name -_-

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone help me transfer some rings? You can keep them for you troubles.

NM. Thanks Screaming Meat

raw

Ferr986

Man I really really really wish this game had something like chalice dungeons.
I want to keep playing but at the same time I'm so tired of the regular maps.

Weiss

Banned
So I'm going to give DS3 one last shot, and I really liked playing a Sorcerer in DS1. Is that build viable in this game? Should I start as an Assassin or a Sorcerer?

Jombie

So I'm going to give DS3 one last shot, and I really liked playing a Sorcerer in DS1. Is that build viable in this game? Should I start as an Assassin or a Sorcerer?

Anything is viable for pve. You can start as anythjng, really. However, assassin starts with better gear. All you really need as a sorcerer is great heavy soul arrow, soul spear and crystal soul spear. Get the spell buff rings, crown of dusk, court sorcerer's staff and scholar's candlestick (last two come later) and you'll destroy most bosses.

Weiss

Banned
Anything is viable for pve. You can start as anythjng, really. However, assassin starts with better gear. All you really need as a sorcerer is great heavy soul arrow, soul spear and crystal soul spear. Get the spell buff rings, crown of dusk, court sorcerer's staff and scholar's candle stick (last two come later) and you'll destroy most bosses.

I've just heard a lot that magic is super gimped and awful in this game, so that's why I wanted to ask. Playing a melee character was really not fun for me so I figured if I liked spellcasting in DS1 I could like it here.

Thanks. I'll give the game one last shot as a Sorcerer.

Tarkus

I'm doing twink SL30 invasions and it's always 1v3 or even 1v4 at times. So much fun when you can actually fight against phantoms and 3 shot them.

Asked on Reddit but value your input as well:

Areas: --Smouldering Lake (Lowest Priority) --Irithyll of the Boreal Valley -- Irithyll Dungeon (Highest Priority) --Anor Lando

These are my favorite areas. They all give me great old school Souls vibes, especially the Dungeon because Tower of Latria is my favorite area ever.

Based on Fextralife it looks like level 55 with a +6 regular/+3 twink weapon would be ideal.

Thoughts? Thanks. See you in Irithyll.

MilkBeard

Man I really really really wish this game had something like chalice dungeons.
I want to keep playing but at the same time I'm so tired of the regular maps.

Yeah, I agree. I have finished all content, but the gameplay is good and I want to keep playing more.

When they tweaked the Chalice dungeons in Bloodborne so you can basically summon anywhere, it changed my opinion about them.

Weiss

Banned
Holy shit this might even be more painful than the other two attempts. My sorceries feel so wimpy in this compared to DS1.

Trakan

Asked on Reddit but value your input as well:

Areas: --Smouldering Lake (Lowest Priority) --Irithyll of the Boreal Valley -- Irithyll Dungeon (Highest Priority) --Anor Lando

These are my favorite areas. They all give me great old school Souls vibes, especially the Dungeon because Tower of Latria is my favorite area ever.

Based on Fextralife it looks like level 55 with a +6 regular/+3 twink weapon would be ideal.

Thoughts? Thanks. See you in Irithyll.

I had success at level 35 in the forest/catacombs.

So co-op is level based in DS3 right? Is there a point I should stop levelling if I want to be able to get summoned consistently?

I'd like to leave the option open for me to platinum this game, and the covenant stuff would be really hard if I level too far to not be able to get summoned anymore.

zma1013

Holy shit this might even be more painful than the other two attempts. My sorceries feel so wimpy in this compared to DS1.

Magic in this game is not only hard because it's so weak, but also very boring as all the more interesting spells are towards the end of the game. Be prepared for 45 different versions of soul arrow.

That being said, once I did make it to the end and got all my spells, I had a lot of fun pvping with it. It makes perfect summon support if you like helping people fight off invaders and co-oping bosses with it is fun as well.

Jombie

I do co-op here and there with different characters, but the game has finally run its coarse for me. I'm ass at pvp and seem to lose to bad players. It makes me act like a child.

Weiss

Banned
Magic in this game is not only hard because it's so weak, but also very boring as all the more interesting spells are towards the end of the game. Be prepared for 45 different versions of soul arrow.

That being said, once I did make it to the end and got all my spells, I had a lot of fun pvping with it. It makes perfect summon support if you like helping people fight off invaders and co-oping bosses with it is fun as well.

Yeah I think I'm calling it quits. If I can't even have fun as a Sorcerer, the only time this series has been even remotely fun for me, then I can't really at all. Casting takes too damn long and doesn't do enough damage to justify it. Like maybe it was OP in Dark Souls but the combo of proper zoning and not really being able to deal with more than one enemy at a time kept in balanced for me. This is just getting ganked by zombies while you're trying to cast your basic spell.

Dark Souls was just barely able to hold my interest with its captivating world and memorable characters and 3 just totally crippled Sorcery.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I've been getting invaded so much lately. My new tactic is to use white branch, hide, equip way of the blue, wait for help to come, have them fight, then carry on without anyone having made contact with me.

Yeah I think I'm calling it quits. If I can't even have fun as a Sorcerer, the only time this series has been even remotely fun for me, then I can't really at all. Casting takes too damn long and doesn't do enough damage to justify it. Like maybe it was OP in Dark Souls but the combo of proper zoning and not really being able to deal with more than one enemy at a time kept in balanced for me. This is just getting ganked by zombies while you're trying to cast your basic spell.

Dark Souls was just barely able to hold my interest with its captivating world and memorable characters and 3 just totally crippled Sorcery.

It might be better to go through the game once as whatever, get all the spells, respec in NG+ and cast away. Alternatively just get to end game and then get summoned to help people. Casting sucks for the majority of the game but running through levels and bosses with Great Soul Dreg is fun.

Milijango

Maybe I'm just not that creative, but it is disappointing how few spells are actually worth using in PvE. My Pyro is really good against anything that isn't on fire, but I've been using nothing but Rapport and Vestiges for hours. Sorcerors are somehow even less varied and I don't enjoy them at all.

Faith is probably my favourite in that regard because there are plenty of use cases for arrows, spears, buffs, and heals. It helps that Dark/Lightning is basically perfect coverage.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Maybe I'm just not that creative, but it is disappointing how few spells are actually worth using in PvE. My Pyro is really good against anything that isn't on fire, but I've been using nothing but Rapport and Vestiges for hours. Sorcerors are somehow even less varied and I don't enjoy them at all.

Faith is probably my favourite in that regard because there are plenty of use cases for arrows, spears, buffs, and heals. It helps that Dark/Lightning is basically perfect coverage.

I have the same complaint but Great Soul Dreg is for some reason very fun to use.

The progress from Soul Arrow -> Soul Spear for the entire game is pretty shit though it's true. I wonder if those dragon / rock pyromanices are any good / fun for pve.

I need help, Dark Souls Gaf.

I use my XB1 Controller for DS3 (gave away my 360 one when I got an XB1 like 2 years ago), and whether I used it wired, or with the wireless adapter, I occasionally get 2-3 second stutters in game, usually in pairs. So *2-3 sec freeze* movement for 1 sec *2-3 sec freeze* etc, then nothing for about half an hour or so.

It's not any auto-save related hitching because it has a wonderful tendency to occur in boss battles when I'm mid dodge-roll (it's not exclusively in boss fights, just naturally its where I notice it the most), and I'm pretty sure it's not to do with my specs (5820k, 16gb Ram. 980Ti etc etc) and DS3 is installed on my SSD...

Now some solutions I saw online were for people using 360 Controller but basically related to either doing a device driver rollback to 2009 (naturally there wasn't one for the XB1 controller on my PC, earliest I could find was 2014), or see if there were multiple XB1 Controllers listed in Device Manager. There we no duplicates.

I wouldn't describe it as a game breaking issue, but it is of supreme annoyance. I don't get the issue with DS1 or DS2, so I'm kinda inclined to think it's something about how DS3 interacts with controllers? I kinda hope I'm not shit out of luck :/

Also yes, Great Soul Dregs make a mockery of some bosses and seem to travel for days.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
hmm, is there a bug with the dancer boss fight?

I got summoned tot the boss fight 5 times yesterday, but only once was I able to traverse the fog. had to watch trough the fog how the host got wrecked.
And when that happens, other phantoms also couldnt traverse.
Had this only happen at the dancer fight.

Helped with vordt, volnir, old demon king and others and never had thta problem?

I need help, Dark Souls Gaf.

I use my XB1 Controller for DS3 (gave away my 360 one when I got an XB1 like 2 years ago), and whether I used it wired, or with the wireless adapter, I occasionally get 2-3 second stutters in game, usually in pairs. So *2-3 sec freeze* movement for 1 sec *2-3 sec freeze* etc, then nothing for about half an hour or so.

exact same issue for me with the DS4. wired or bluetooth makes no difference.

EasyMode

So co-op is level based in DS3 right? Is there a point I should stop levelling if I want to be able to get summoned consistently?

I'd like to leave the option open for me to platinum this game, and the covenant stuff would be really hard if I level too far to not be able to get summoned anymore.

SL 120 Seems to be generally agreed upon. Some like SL 100, I don't know which is more active, TBH.

hmm, is there a bug with the dancer boss fight?

I got summoned tot the boss fight 5 times yesterday, but only once was I able to traverse the fog. had to watch trough the fog how the host got wrecked.
And when that happens, other phantoms also couldnt traverse.
Had this only happen at the dancer fight.

Helped with vordt, volnir, old demon king and others and never had thta problem?

It's a common problem with boss fog gates and laggy connections, not just Dancer's. If you get summoned and see the host sliding around or running in place, you might as well use the black separation crystal to leave, because there's a good chance you won't be able to traverse the fog.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
SL 120 Seems to be generally agreed upon. Some like SL 100, I don't know which is more active, TBH.

It's a common problem with boss fog gates and laggy connections, not just Dancer's. If you get summoned and see the host sliding around or running in place, you might as well use the black separation crystal to leave, because there's a good chance you won't be able to traverse the fog.

hmm ok, that might be it.
am at the dancer right nw and its working fine now

i started playing one of my random builds just after beating Deacons and the Chapel of the Deep but before killing High Lord Wolnir or doing any of the catacombs. ended up playing through a lot, getting to Dancer of the Valley, then deciding to go off and do the DLC instead. i love having the DLC unlockable at that point. always felt like the other games had it too close to the end.

i still like the first DLC even though the second is way way better. imo these are the best DLC in the series. there is a whole lot to do in the second one, dang.

I don't even know what that stupid gesture is meant to imply, but if the game detects a slow walking input after a pvp win, it should be an auto ban.

Slow walking always makes me laugh. I actually get disappointed when the invader or host just stands there after killing me.

MilkBeard

I've seen him play and he's pretty good, but he acts like he's never seen people gesture after a fight. I mean, I guess it's different because the opponent knew he was on a stream. Still comes off as salty to me.

Juutas, for a different example, challenged this guy for shit talking in the chat after a casual fight to a best out of 9 duel and beat him (overall), and basically told him to stop whining. I found that to be pretty entertaining.

Reached NG++, just need to get to the end once more and get all the rings and the platinum is mine...

...and one of them is behind Nameless King. Oh boy, having to beat that on NG++ is not going to be fun. Hopefully people will still be available for summoning on NG++.

Ultryx

So I've been on my first playthrough -- totally blind. I'm at the Nameless King fight and I cannot summon anyone because I pulled the lever. I went back to the area where the Abyss Watchers were and I dueled Hawkwood and killed him. I got a stone.

Can I never summon anyone in this game now?

Sande

So I've been on my first playthrough -- totally blind. I'm at the Nameless King fight and I cannot summon anyone because I pulled the lever. I went back to the area where the Abyss Watchers were and I dueled Hawkwood and killed him. I got a stone.

I never summon so I'm definitely not an expert, but I don't think anything you do in an area can affect summoning in other areas.

6for8

Ringing the bell will just send Hawkwood home, you could still summon human players for the boss. Your other areas are fine.

Stevey

Hawkwood was blocking summons, go back and it should be fine.
Also, check near the bonfire as well as right near the fog gate for summon signs.;

Top Bottom