• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you guys have security cameras inside your house?

prophetvx

If that's true, then it just makes your mischaracterization of these systems all the more embarrassing.

Incredibly embarrassing suggesting that the 2.4GHz band is easily tampered with, using cheap equipment and getting called paranoid for it. In many cases you don't even need a specialized tool, just a bit of software and a laptop flooding the spectrum.

Arlo is better than Nest given it has it's own dedicated network but it's still very insecure.

Estellex

Port scans.

Bots scan every IP address regularly. When a login comes up, they can determine what kind of hardware it is, and they try the default stuff.

Then it gets tagged and posted.
Keep your network as locked down as you can.

If you're real bored, look into pfSense.

So if my router has WPA2 encryption then it won't happened?

MultiCore

So if my router has WPA2 encryption then it won't happened?
That has nothing to do with it, unfortunately.
(Recent KRACK attack nonwithstanding.)

If you have IP cameras on your local network, you need to do one of two things:
1. Change the username and password on your cameras. That site is a result of lazy people not changing their credentials.

Or

2. Don't open ports on your router to your cameras. Possibly disable UPnP as well. If it's not accessible from the internet, then you have nothing to worry about. The downside of this is that your cameras aren't accessible from the internet.

Estellex

That has nothing to do with it, unfortunately.
(Recent KRACK attack nonwithstanding.)

If you have IP cameras on your local network, you need to do one of two things:
1. Change the username and password on your cameras. That site is a result of lazy people not changing their credentials.

Or

2. Don't open ports on your router to your cameras. Possibly disable UPnP as well. If it's not accessible from the internet, then you have nothing to worry about. The downside of this is that your cameras aren't accessible from the internet.

Username and password of the camera? You mean the login credentials to access the settings right?

Kremzeek

You'd think that with all these cameras being installed in more homes, there would be a rise in ghost sightings...

Heath V

You'd think that with all these cameras being installed in more homes, there would be a rise in ghost sightings...

Lol come on man, the ghost know that the cameras are hooked up therefore they will not show themselves now! By the way great Avatar!

mhayes86

I have 4 Arlo wireless cams outside my house.
snip

Awesome info. I've been looking into getting a camera, but a power source was my issue since I don't want to drill holes or run cables. If I can just attach one and it use batteries, that's awesome.

How about storing the footage? Is it on physical storage on the device, saved to the cloud, and does saving the footage/accessing it require a monthly fee?

MultiCore

Awesome info. I've been looking into getting a camera, but a power source was my issue since I don't want to drill holes or run cables. If I can just attach one and it use batteries, that's awesome.

How about storing the footage? Is it on physical storage on the device, saved to the cloud, and does saving the footage/accessing it require a monthly fee?
I really advise against the non-pro model. The rechargeable batteries make it a much better experience. You also don't get local storage on the non-pro version.

So, for up to 5 cameras, you can get a week of cloud video for free. If you connect a USB device, it will fill whatever you put there, then start overwriting the oldest files.

If you want more cameras, or more cloud time, there are subscriptions available.

I have 4 Arlo wireless cams outside my house.

Front door, Side door, Front of House long ways yard (Covers front yard/windows) and Back Yard.

Have 2 wired cams inside house.

Looking down main entry/living/dining room area (basically you cant enter the house and not cross this line of sight)
And another in the basement (same set up. line of sight covers any movement to basement via inside house or rear entry/backyard door)

All motion activated/night vision etc.. Send me Alert to phone if activated and recording.

$600 on Bestbuy is what I paid

https://static.beachcamera.com/Assets/Product/imagesnw400/5F874FA28ED94DC29384B1AC76114A76.jp

You drill a simple hole anywhere and then camera has a STRONG magnet that attaches to metal orb.
[IMG]https://www.netgear.com/images/AboutUs/PressRelease/ARLO-Day1-00324-small.j

Outdoor wireless cams take CR123A Batteries. Hight traffic areas like doorways I change battery every month. 16 for $20 at Amazon
[IMG]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/615pGX9R]

Love it.

Basically I open my phone at work and it looks like this (not my pics btw)

[IMG]https://cdn.mobilesyrup.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Arlo-app-video-thumbnails_1.jpg

I caught Amazon delivery guy tossing my packages so far, a drunk lady wondering around my front yard and a lady looking for her lost dog in my back yard.

Also watched my GF come home drunk, toss a wine bottle into the trash...miss...and bottle smash on pavement.
Which I then uploaded to my Instagram and shamed her lol

Also have Arlo Pro2's.
They are fantastic.
I didn't really get them for security though. I got them to monitor my child (9 mo atm) when I am not in the room, with security features as an added bonus.

I have 3 mounted, and 1 I can move around and use as I please. Put the 1 in my bathroom today and was on my computer while he played in the bath tub today, watching him on my second monitor. The things are fantastic.

It's also fun when I can watch my wife/child in the living room during their morning routine while I'm finishing up at work (Graveyard). Sound/Microphone functionality is good for that. Can say good morning without being there.

I was looking to get a nest IQ for my new house but the data usage is insane for security cams if they're running 24/7. Upwards of 400gb per month which make them a hard buy for people with data caps. Cams that use local storage seem a lot more vulnerable to tampering which render them useless.

Estellex

Do these remote security cameras take a big toll on your internet bandwidth? Since it is streaming 720p video to your cell phone right?

dc3k

I buy a Nest camera every time my place will be unoccupied for a while so I can spy on my pet sitter, then return it when I come home.

Top Bottom