• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you guys get a lot of trick or treaters?

intbal

My neighborhood has aged-out of Halloween. It's all elderly people who go to sleep at 5PM. Kids haven't shown up around here on Halloween for several years.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
About 50 or so. We set up a table at the bottom of our driveway with chairs, a portable propane heater, a Bluetooth speaker and a couple of beers.
Does anyone know why Apple considers Sweet Dreams as a Halloween song?
To be honest, that song always gave me a dark, creepy vibe. I think it fits.

Doom85

I've asked the same question. What is the appeal in spending an evening welcoming people to your home in order to give them sweets that you bought for the occasion.

I have never, ever changed the question.

No Way Smh GIF by Searchlight Pictures

Hate to cut in, but come on, bruh. In your very first post, you never specified you weren’t living in a country where Halloween isn’t widely celebrated, which any logical person would mention first as opposed to talking about being baffled about people knocking on your door being appealing.

As for the appeal, really? Really? It’s about seeing kids having a good time. Halloween is a long tradition for a lot of areas, and adults want kids of the next generation to have a great Halloween night as well just like they did when they were younger. It doesn’t matter if it’s not your kids or even if you know them. I mean, do I need to explain the “appeal” of holding the door for someone you don’t know who was walking behind you?

I mean, geezus, I don’t even want to have kids, I do value my freedom that much, but Halloween? It’s like a 3 hour or so range when kids will show up, I’m not so selfish I can’t “sacrifice” that amount of time for them.

Plus, some of their costumes are often great. I saw a Miles Morales, Spider-Gwen, two Hulks and a She-Hulk, two Jason Voorhees, one Ghostface, one Sonic the Hedgehog, and perfectly the final Trick r Treater was dressed up as Sam (the embodiment of the spirit of Halloween in the movie Trick r Treat). Some of the kids/teens complimented my Michael Myers shirt too which was sweet.

Had an adorable moment last year when a little girl came up dressed up as Sabine from the cartoon Star Wars Rebels. When I complimented her costume and specified it by mentioning Sabine, she was surprised and said, “you know her?” And I was like, “yeah, Star Wars Rebels is great.” After she got her candy, she ran back to the car where her parents were waiting and was yelling, “one of the grownups knew who I was!” The dad proceeded to give me a thumbs up.

demigod

One

One kid knocked, thats it.
I bought about a hundred dollars worth of candy last year and only 1 group came even though my lights were on.

I said fuck it and no candy this year. Well actually I bought reeses candy in case they came, nobody came so we’ll just eat it :).

Took my son trick or treating here in Texas and saw other folks too. Was in the mid 50s degrees.

I only got 1...kind of

I had all my lights off, trying to activly avoid them, but the TV on, so I guess there must have been some glow shining out from the blinds

I'd just got up to sneak into the kitchen to get a drink when the door bell went
I very loudly shouted "For FUCK sakes!" as my plan for sneaking about had been ruined, not really because of the trick and treaters coming round

By the time I'd found a few chocolate bars and gotten to the door they had disappeared, and I didn't get disturbed for the rest of the night

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Plus, some of their costumes are often great. I saw a Miles Morales, Spider-Gwen, two Hulks and a She-Hulk, two Jason Voorhees, one Ghostface, one Sonic the Hedgehog, and perfectly the final Trick r Treater was dressed up as Sam (the embodiment of the spirit of Halloween in the movie Trick r Treat). Some of the kids/teens complimented my Michael Myers shirt too which was sweet.

Had an adorable moment last year when a little girl came up dressed up as Sabine from the cartoon Star Wars Rebels. When I complimented her costume and specified it by mentioning Sabine, she was surprised and said, “you know her?” And I was like, “yeah, Star Wars Rebels is great.” After she got her candy, she ran back to the car where her parents were waiting and was yelling, “one of the grownups knew who I was!” The dad proceeded to give me a thumbs up.
I hate this, to be honest. Every costume being some sort of corporate media property is gross.

There was a little of that in the 80s, but it was secondary compared to non-IP costumes. I went as various skeleton and vampire variations and never once had a nameable character, nor did my siblings. Our mother made almost all of the costumes and did the face-painting herself.

The IP-obsession which Disney/Marvel has absolutely saturated the culture with is one of the things that gradually ruined Halloween.

Durien

No, it was great, I just started season 2 of Yellowstone last night, don't need no cow pokes knocking for no god damn sugar..

RwovHDF.gif
I hear you. Canucks ALWAYS have a game on Halloween it seems. I was able to watch quite a bit of them kicking some Predator butt. I am a thanksgiving/Christmas fan. The only reason I look forward to Halloween is because when it is over, it's Christmas season at my house lol

Durien

I only got 1...kind of

I had all my lights off, trying to activly avoid them, but the TV on, so I guess there must have been some glow shining out from the blinds

I'd just got up to sneak into the kitchen to get a drink when the door bell went
I very loudly shouted "For FUCK sakes!" as my plan for sneaking about had been ruined, not really because of the trick and treaters coming round

By the time I'd found a few chocolate bars and gotten to the door they had disappeared, and I didn't get disturbed for the rest of the night
Dude, I have tried turning off the light when I ran out of candy. They still climb up the steps to ring my doorbell even with the parents watching. My thought is they hope the kids fall down the steps so they can sue me. So now when run out of candy I physically block the stairs with my recycling bin and garbage can.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
You disingenuous prick you edited your post. 🤣

Which post? The one you quoted? The quote wouldn't have changed.

No Way Smh GIF by Searchlight Pictures

Hate to cut in, but come on, bruh. In your very first post, you never specified you weren’t living in a country where Halloween isn’t widely celebrated, which any logical person would mention first as opposed to talking about being baffled about people knocking on your door being appealing.

As for the appeal, really? Really? It’s about seeing kids having a good time. Halloween is a long tradition for a lot of areas, and adults want kids of the next generation to have a great Halloween night as well just like they did when they were younger. It doesn’t matter if it’s not your kids or even if you know them. I mean, do I need to explain the “appeal” of holding the door for someone you don’t know who was walking behind you?

I mean, geezus, I don’t even want to have kids, I do value my freedom that much, but Halloween? It’s like a 3 hour or so range when kids will show up, I’m not so selfish I can’t “sacrifice” that amount of time for them.

I said I didn't really understand why people were keen to have kids knocking on the door and to buy candy for strangers. It feels quite different here where there isn't the culture of that kind of thing.

Thanks for explaining your experience of it, that is literally all I thought someone might have offer in reply.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I bought about a hundred dollars worth of candy last year and only 1 group came even though my lights were on.

I said fuck it and no candy this year. Well actually I bought reeses candy in case they came, nobody came so we’ll just eat it :).

Took my son trick or treating here in Texas and saw other folks too. Was in the mid 50s degrees.
That's typical, i'd been happy with the reeses too though :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I do actually miss it all, my sons in that crappy teenage stage where he doesn't want to do anything, period. And we'd look like a couple of Jimmy Savilles if it was just us doing it

I used to love raiding his tin at the end of a good night when he went to bed 👀

I hear you. Canucks ALWAYS have a game on Halloween it seems. I was able to watch quite a bit of them kicking some Predator butt. I am a thanksgiving/Christmas fan. The only reason I look forward to Halloween is because when it is over, it's Christmas season at my house lol
Oh man, Christmas is the one! We have that ol Bonfire night tradition over in bad teeth land, once that hits on the 5th of November and the temp drops off a cliff you may as well stick mariah carey on and hope your wallet doesn't have an aneurysm before January..

It comes around so quick. I swear it's sped up the older I get.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
te0CtZM.jpg
you edited before I was able quote your original post. Nice try.

As soon as you clicked "Quote" It would have put what you were reading into your post. If I edited it after you'd clicked quote then the words in your post would have been unchanged.

I edited the post 3 hours before you quoted it. At no point did I say "I don't understand the appeal of trick or treating for people dressing up and waiting to be rewarded with free candy."

Nice Try, etc.

Last edited:

Muffdraul

I've lived in apartments for almost 30 years, so it's been that long since I last actually personally "had" a trick or treater. But last night I went up to the roof and looked around the neighborhood, I didn't see a single one on the streets. Koreatown in Los Angeles, probably explains it.

ahtlas7

Been in Prague for a few days. Other than some decorations at the hotel and around the area not much Halloween going on here. Took the kids to a toy store where some kids were wearing costumes.
The sky was playing though.
wg0Zl73.jpg

Durien

Been in Prague for a few days. Other than some decorations at the hotel and around the area not much Halloween going on here. Took the kids to a toy store where some kids were wearing costumes.
The sky was playing though.
wg0Zl73.jpg
That is a GREAT picture! My friend has been to Prague and said the architecture was pretty awesome.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Only about 15. I live on a quiet side street, so any similar road in my area I dont think gets lots of kids. But the main road that cuts through gets shitloads of kids. The FB neighburhood group would have people posting on the main street saying they'd get over 100 kids.

The parents and their kids arent think about maximizing the candy!

All of us on the smaller streets live in smaller homes. Some of us have small front yards where you can practically jump from one porch to another. That means more houses per walking minute. The homes on the main street are bigger. More wasted time walking! :)

When I was a kid, all of us would go together and first bee-line we'd do is hit the nearby apartment buildings. Those were by far the best. You walk into the lobby, the security guy has tons of treats everywhere which the residents brought downstairs and you'd grab handfuls of stuff as the guard never cared. He was just happy seeing kids having fun. After the apartments that were grouped together, we'd do the houses.

For those of you who never trick or treated at apartment buildings, you missed out!

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
We leave on a steep hill and don’t get a lot of foot traffic, usually only a dozen or so groups of kids. This year and last we ended up taking our kids to my parents’ flat and affluent neighborhood where it’s like a big block party, much more fun.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Hey all,
Kind of weird. Normally we get at least 100 kids. We live in a housing development and the kids used to come in packs with parents driving groups over. We would go through 5 to 6 bags of candy. Today I had less than 25. Usually they start at 6 and go to around 9. Today they started around 7 and were done before 8...

Did you guys notice a huge difference? Our temps are seasonal (usual cold night) and it isn't even raining.
I've noticed the end time for modern day trick or treating really short. For my area, once 8:30-ish comes around it's done. 7 to 8:30 I'd say.

Back in the 80s when I'd do Halloween, we'd all do to to 9:30 I'd say. And we definitely started earlier. I;'d say us kids were more like 6:30 to 9:30 back then.

Once thing I notice about seeing all the stuff my nieces and nephews get over the years, it sure seems skewed a lot of chocolate bars and bags of chips.

Back then, small chip bags were like hitting the lottery and you'd get tons of garbagey lollipops and those Kerr orange wrapper mollasses shit. I never knew what they were till the net, but they seemed universally hated.

Jenov

No, last year we spent a good hundred bucks on candy and we were rationing it because of the demand. This year we’re stuck with like 5 lbs extra even after trying to stuff it in their faces, ahaha. I don’t think Halloween candy has that great of a shelf life so everyone’s getting lots of stocking stuffer candy this year😑

Also wtf, butter fingers taste NASTY now. What did they do to it???

Durien

Also wtf, butter fingers taste NASTY now. What did they do to it???
I think most candy tastes nasty now because as an adult you have elevated tastes and know what good stuff tastes like. As a kid, you only know the basics.

Doom85

I think most candy tastes nasty now because as an adult you have elevated tastes and know what good stuff tastes like. As a kid, you only know the basics.

Well, some candies do actually taste different now. Nestle Crunch, for example, changed its recipe and most agree the original flavor was way better.

Durien

Well, some candies do actually taste different now. Nestle Crunch, for example, changed its recipe and most agree the original flavor was way better.
Crunch used to be my favorite. Nowadays Japanese KitKat flavors are my go to. They just came out with a 50th anniversary one that redid the recipe. It tastes more cinnamony.

belmarduk

I gave out kale and seaweed chips this year because the kids in my neighborhood are too fat.
Got a lot of trick or treaters toward the beginning of the night not so much after a while. Word must have gotten around.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Literally 1 kid :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Probably didn't help that it was 40 degrees and windy Halloween night which likely scared off many. I'm in Texas btw, so 40 degrees here is like if it was -20 on Halloween night in a state that's used to colder temps.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
No kids at my apartment. My buddy owns a house. He got three kids. I think the problem is that all the parents take their kids to super rich neighborhoods.

Mihos

Gold Member
We get tons in my neighborhood. We also have jello shots for the adults. We have a pretty quiet neighborhood most of the year, but it is like a block party on Halloween.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I gave out kale and seaweed chips this year because the kids in my neighborhood are too fat.
Got a lot of trick or treaters toward the beginning of the night not so much after a while. Word must have gotten around.

And Id be the kid to egg your house the following night.

Last edited:
Top Bottom