• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think this pretty much sums up a lot of Christians...

Status
Not open for further replies.
viakado said:
how about this sport, you tell me where in the bible(aka any inspired writings recognized by both christian and catholics) where st. peter is at the gates and we'll go from there, capish?

joke posts in a joke thread, serious business.

Particularly frequent in the period between the fourth and sixth centuries is the scene of the delivery of the Law to Peter, which occurs on various kinds of monuments. Christ hands St. Peter a folded or open scroll, on which is often the inscription Lex Domini (Law of the Lord) or Dominus legem dat (The Lord gives the law). In the mausoleum of Constantina at Rome (S. Costanza, in the Via Nomentana) this scene is given as a pendant to the delivery of the Law to Moses. In representations on fifth-century sarcophagi the Lord presents to Peter (instead of the scroll) the keys. In carvings of the fourth century Peter often bears a staff in his hand (after the fifth century, a cross with a long shaft, carried by the Apostle on his shoulder), as a kind of sceptre indicative of Peter's office. From the end of the sixth century this is replaced by the keys (usually two, but sometimes three), which henceforth became the attribute of Peter. Even the renowned and greatly venerated bronze statue in St. Peter's possesses them; this, the best-known representation of the Apostle, dates from the last period of Christian antiquity (Grisar, "Analecta romana", I, Rome, 1899, 627 sqq.).

The Bible never states that Peter is at the "gates of heaven." There really is no argument there this is where these artistic interpretations come from throughout history.

I'm a Christian, but I think we get a bad reputation by the Bible bashers. I figure just about everyone in America has at least heard the word of Christ, and after that it's not up to us to convert them. IMO. They have to make the decision on their own.

onipex

Anerythristic said:
Christianity is rarely the cause but always the scapegoat. It would behoove many people to understand the human mind and how it functions; especially when it feels justification is in order.

It is always the religion, the money, the drugs, the video games, the music that made us do it.

perfectchaos007 said:
I'm a Christian, but I think we get a bad reputation by the Bible bashers. I figure just about everyone in America has at least heard the word of Christ, and after that it's not up to us to convert them. IMO. They have to make the decision on their own.

You figure wrong. I have met many people who have not.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
perfectchaos007 said:

is it like, one word? cause then i have probably heard it...

Samara

perfectchaos007 said:
They have to make the decision on their own.

yeah, i m catholic and all, but i sure dont believe in saints and people waiting on a list theory. In fact, i dont really `believe`in religion, I just believe in God

eh, my criticisms of the major religions usually have nothing to do with whether people are jerks about it or not.

They're usually based on an entirely flawed premise with no evidence for it (invisible being that can telepathically talk to us and also make universes and cares about humans and wants us to do certain things), and this applies whether you're Martin Luther King or Jerry Falwell. Hell, the fact that Falwell and MLK can both be considered Christian by a large majority of the population is pretty obvious evidence that "Christianity" as a philosophy or approach to life is pretty meaningless (from a descriptive standpoint. Of course, individual believers will feel different in their individual lives)

Of course, as a practical matter and in everyday life, I prefer MLK Christians for obvious reasons, but Christianity (or any other philosophy that makes claims with no evidence) doesn't become more true depending on how nice someone is about it.

Anerythristic said:
The Bible never states that Peter is at the "gates of heaven." There really is no argument there this is where these artistic interpretations come from throughout history.
exactly. just an artistic representation well over 500 years after his death.
it has zero bearing on doctrine. And this thread is a funny illustration of a 1500year old art rendition of peter.

....what the fuck was the point of this?
oh well, someone show me a funny gif, please.

jon bones said:
is it like, one word? cause then i have probably heard it...

Unless you have no access to media whatsoever I'm sure you have heard of Christ. I just refuse to see the US as a third world country however I can see how some spots in the country may not have access to any media whatsoever and may not have heard of Christ. But unless I go on a mission trip to these places, I'll assume people have heard of Christ.

perfectchaos007 said:
Unless you have no access to media whatsoever I'm sure you have heard of Christ. I just refuse to see the US as a third world country however I can see how some spots in the country may not have access to any media whatsoever and may not have heard of Christ. But unless I go on a mission trip to these places, I'll assume people have heard of Christ.

Sure most North Americans have heard of Christ. Its one thing to have heard of someone, another to understand who he is. I can list off dozens of names of people I see in the news or referenced in pop culture, though I really know nothing about them.

DanteFox

perfectchaos007 said:
The problem with that thinking is that most mainstream media representations of Jesus are mere charicatures of him, most making fun of him. I'm sure you'd be hard pressed to find people in your immediate area who have never heard of Jesus, but I think you'd be surprised at how many haven't heard the message of salvation he brought about.

FiRez said:
is a sad thing that people thinks that common sense is a religion.

I understand your point. That post might have been a joke.

Pushing common sense as a way of "conversion" away from faith based beliefs, putting up a displays of your common sense that compete with Jewish or Christian Holiday displays, advertising and clothes complete with symbols of your common sense.

What do you expect some people to think?

MattKeil said:
They aren't thinking to begin with. That's kind of the problem.

I honestly might have misunderstood your post. Is this just another jab at the religous about being devoid of critical thought ?

smoothj

Timedog said:
In my mind I see this
2ptuu0j.jpg
Oh man :lol :lol

Ionas

Disbarred from heaven for not being nice? You crazy Catholics and your justification by works!

jk
rowling

I like how whenever one side of an argument is attacked on GAF, the response is almost always "no, u" except in usually longer prose.

Does anyone disagree with the first post, or is this whole thread just going to be "no, u" over and over?

DanteFox

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
I like how whenever one side of an argument is attacked on GAF, the response is almost always "no, u" except in usually longer prose.

Does anyone disagree with the first post, or is this whole thread just going to be "no, u" over and over?
This thread was stupid flame bait to begin with. as if we didn't have enough religion bashing on gaf.

KHarvey16

Ionas said:
And how does it work for Christians, coming from atheists?

It works for catholics coming from atheists, if we're taking the whole st. peter thing depicted in the cartoon literally.

Ionas

KHarvey16 said:
It works for catholics coming from atheists, if we're taking the whole st. peter thing depicted in the cartoon literally.
Ah, I think I was taking "work" to mean something you weren't intending. Gotcha.

zon

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:

okzk0z.jpg

Actually Atheism is a religion.

Put simply:

"It is impossible for us limited human beings to know for a fact that a god does not exist. To know absolutely that a god does not exist one would have to be omniscient. Since no one is omniscient then it stands to reason that there is a chance that a god exists. This then becomes Agnosticism instead of Atheism.

So how can those who follow the idea that there is no god really say that for sure? Well, listen carefully now it's kinda tricky, they MUST take it on FAITH - **GASP** dirty word - that no god exists. Atheism is just a word, but those who promote the idea that there is no god have turned it into the "religion" of Atheism. There is no other explanation for it. It is a nothing more than a belief in a concept. The concept being of course that god does not exist."

Agnostic =/= Atheist.

KHarvey16

FunkyMunkey said:

Put simply:

"It is impossible for us limited human beings to know for a fact that a god does not exist. To know absolutely that a god does not exist one would have to be omniscient. Since no one is omniscient then it stands to reason that there is a chance that a god exists. This then becomes Agnosticism instead of Atheism.

So how can those who follow the idea that there is no god really say that for sure? Well, listen carefully now it's kinda tricky, they MUST take it on FAITH - **GASP** dirty word - that no god exists. Atheism is just a word, but those who promote the idea that there is no god have turned it into the "religion" of Atheism. There is no other explanation for it. It is a nothing more than a belief in a concept. The concept being of course that god does not exist."

Agnostic =/= Atheist.

This is a pretty well worn path but being an atheist doesn't necessitate you claim there is no god. Atheism is simply not believing in a god. Some take it a step further and make the claim that god definitely doesn't exist but it's not a very intellectually honest thing to say.

KHarvey16 said:
This is a pretty well worn path but being an atheist doesn't necessitate you claim there is no god. Atheism is simply not believing in a god. Some take it a step further and make the claim that god definitely doesn't exist but it's not a very intellectually honest thing to say.

Atheism?

A belief is a belief. Agnosticism is only way out as it is, by definition, no belief.

Ionas

KHarvey16 said:
Totally unacceptable. You will argue whether we agree or not!

/fist shake
Sadly, I'm under strict telepathic instruction from a Jewish zombie not to argue with you.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
FunkyMunkey said:

Put simply:

Agnostic =/= Atheist.

Eh, that is basically arguing semantics here. There is a division between Agnostic and Atheist, without having to put faith in the lack of a god. I don't consider myself Agnostic because I don't contemplate the possible existence of a God anymore than I do of a Pastafarian Deity. Could one exist? Sure, but as far as I am concerned, it does not.

speculawyer said:
No. You do not know the correct definitions of the terms. Look them up.

Strong agnosticism (also called "hard," "closed," "strict," or "absolute agnosticism")

—the view that the question of the existence or nonexistence of a deity or deities and the nature of ultimate reality is unknowable by reason of our natural inability to verify any experience with anything but another subjective experience. A strong agnostic would say, "I cannot know whether a deity exists or not, and neither can you."

Weak agnosticism (also called "soft," "open," "empirical," or "temporal agnosticism")

—the view that the existence or nonexistence of any deities is currently unknown but is not necessarily unknowable, therefore one will withhold judgment until/if any evidence is available. A weak agnostic would say, "I don't know whether any deities exist or not, but maybe one day when there is more evidence we can find something out."

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism]

No opinion on a god or not.

In early Ancient Greek, the adjective atheos (ἄθεος, from the privative ἀ- + θεός "god") meant "godless". The word began to indicate more-intentional, active godlessness in the 5th century BCE, acquiring definitions of "severing relations with the gods" or "denying the gods, ungodly" instead of the earlier meaning of ἀσεβής (asebēs) or "impious". Modern translations of classical texts sometimes render atheos as "atheistic". As an abstract noun, there was also ἀθεότης (atheotēs), "atheism". Cicero transliterated the Greek word into the Latin atheos. The term found frequent use in the debate between early Christians and Hellenists, with each side attributing it, in the pejorative sense, to the other.[12]

In English, the term atheism was derived from the French athéisme in about 1587.[13] The term atheist (from Fr. athée), in the sense of "one who denies or disbelieves the existence of God",[14] predates atheism in English, being first attested in about 1571.[15] Atheist as a label of practical godlessness was used at least as early as 1577.[16] Related words emerged later: deist in 1621,[17] theist in 1662;[18] theism in 1678;[19] and deism in 1682.[20] Deism and theism changed meanings slightly around 1700, due to the influence of atheism; deism was originally used as a synonym for today's theism, but came to denote a separate philosophical doctrine.[21]

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism]

Even the roots depict "no god".

I know it's wikipedia, but I'm lazy and they have proper citations.

Now, it's your turn to argue the "shades of gray" argument about how "but there's light atheism and medium agnosticism" and whatever else people can think of. But in summary, it doesn't matter and those are different things. They even have different names than just "atheism" or "agnosticism".

Kinitari said:
Eh, that is basically arguing semantics here. There is a division between Agnostic and Atheist, without having to put faith in the lack of a god. I don't consider myself Agnostic because I don't contemplate the possible existence of a God anymore than I do of a Pastafarian Deity. Could one exist? Sure, but as far as I am concerned, it does not.

Then you aren't simpy and athetist or agnostic then, are you? Exactly.

Just because people forget what words mean, doesn't change their meaning.

KHarvey16

FunkyMunkey said:
Atheism?

A belief is a belief. Agnosticism is only way out as it is, by definition, no belief.

A - without, theism - belief in god. Agnosticism says nothing about belief. The two words describe different things.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
FunkyMunkey said:
Then you aren't simpy and athetist or agnostic then, are you? Exactly.

Just because people forget what words mean, doesn't change their meaning.

I actually don't know what you are saying here, I'm assuming an edit is incoming though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom