• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much do you watch movies?

kikkis

I used to watch a lot of movies 10 years ago. This year I think I have seen less than 5 movies. Most of the I find myself preferring books or tv shows over movies. But I don't do those that much either.

The whole politics angle bothers me a bit about new movies but I think mostly they are just not that interesting and two hours limits how much you can do with story.

I agree with you. I have been interested in finding out why.

I only watch a handful of movies a year at best. I hardly ever listen to new music, either. Which is the exact opposite I was ten years ago.

I prefer TV shows, books (especially audiobooks), podcasts (this is my number #1), and reading certain magazines and news.

I will say though, my interest in non fiction is far higher than it was 10 years ago. I enjoy documentaries quite a bit and shows put out by PBS and History Channel. Which ten years ago would have never happened.

I’m just curious if there are others out there as well.

Last edited:

Hugare

Watching one right now lol

Usually 2-3 per week

One horror movie every thursday

But this year have been slow in terms of good released

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I gave up on TV when the first TIVO released. I just remember coming home from work with the feeling that I had to watch TV because my unit was full and if I didn't delete episodes, my recording for the 2AM showing of Green Acres would fail.

As far as movies are concerned, I watch far less these days. I'm overly critical, especially for things I was once enamored with. It might also be a perception thing, but it seems like we get a lot more junk these days and I'm not just talking about the stuff that is littered on the eight thousand streaming services. I find foreign films far more interesting but that's due in part to my love of horror and the time I spent in Korea. More often than not I'd rather watch something I know I love than something new.

Music isn't much different. I've paired down my rotation of artists a bunch the last ten years or so.

Not often enough considering how many I bring home from Goodwill and a local thrift store. I'm not very picky when the price is 25 cents at the thrift store.

GloveSlap

A good amount, but i've pretty much fully given up on modern Hollywood at this point. I'll still check out something new here and there if it interests me or gets good reviews. It's getting rare though.

The bulk of the time now i look for older stuff i've either not seen or haven't seen since i was a kid. I also have a large disc collection that i rewatch.

This year:
Lucas
Little Shop of Horrors Director's Cut
Guardian of the Galaxy 3
Dazed and Confused
Mean Girls

Last Year:
Amadeus
Sixteen Candles
The Batman
Say Anything
Beavis and Butthead Do America
Beavis and Butthead Do the Universe

Might have forgotten something but roughly one movie every two months or so seems about right. I don't think I've bothered with the theater since pre-covid. Didn't even bother with Indy via streaming let alone the theater. Something like that would have been unthinkable back in the day, but ya know it's going to be a turd and at a certain age you just get so very tired.

Oh god, I just realized that Rise of the Skywalkers was the last movie I went to the theater for... well shit, now it's like I have to go to a movie again in the theater just so that's not the last piece of shit I ever saw on the big screen :messenger_tears_of_joy:

NahaNago

I watch a good bit of movies from the hollwood stuff to the Korean or Indian movies. Some anime movie every once in a while. I don't watch much American tv shows though.

GymWolf

Way, Way less than the past.

Before i was an avid movie watcher, now i barely watch maybe 5 movies in a year, sometimes less.

I watch more old movies than new.

DKehoe

A fair amount. I go to the cinema a few times a month, a lot of the time I'll go once a week. Obviously, it just depends what's out at the time. I've got a card with the cinema I go to where I can see an unlimited number of films for a monthly fee. So the cost of a ticket isn't a barrier for entry, which makes it easier to see something on a whim or rewatch something I really enjoyed, like how I saw Oppenheimer a couple of times.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
It's such Ballache watching films in my house, my wife rarely wants to watch anything, she'll dismiss stuff for zero reason and my son has sat down through all of around five films in thirteen years..

The amount of teeth I had to pull just to get her to watch Squid game was infuriating just because it had 'subs', Jesus.. and she ended up liking it..

So, not many any more as the TV's normally in use watching their Youtube stuff. But I still buy most on DVD and Blu Ray to watch one day, nearly completed my Asian collection, just bought a load of John woo classics. I'll probably rip em and watch while travelling.

The last film I forced everyone to watch was 'Where eagles dare', and that was only tolerated as we're going to the castle next month :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ahtlas7

if you mean at theater then I’m a member of their club. Every month I get one “free” ticket so every 2 months I’ll pick (easily) some shitty movie so me and my date can make fun of it while stuffing ourselves with unbuttered, over salted popcorn.
I also have a 75” oled, atmos 7.1.2 home theater room with butt kicker enabled seating that has basically been converted into a karaoke room complete with lasers, spider lights and smoke machine because fuck Hollywood. We karaoke party at least 1 time a week. Don’t remember last time we watched a movie in there.

I do have this waiting to be watched. Maybe this weekend…

iUwSP2y.jpg

Last edited:

Dark Star

i enjoy watching movies, but I don’t watch as many nowadays. I feel like I’ve already seen all the great ones that peak my interest, both independent and mainstream hits. I like horror movies, but even those are becoming stale for me. Maybe I’m getting older and value other things more, my hobbies, music, games, etc. I also don’t really watch many tv shows or series either nowadays. Occasionally something will come out on Netflix or whatever that is fantastic, but most everything feels uninspired, like remakes/reboots

Last edited:
Top Bottom