• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two-Thirds of U.S. Adults Would Rather Wait to Watch Movies on Streaming

ManaByte

Gold Member

I haven't been to a movie theater in 2024 and don't expect I will. I didn't see Dune, won't see Ghostbusters.

Dune is already up for pre-order on PVOD for $30. Factoring in the cost of gas to get to a movie theater, the ticket price, food, etc it's much cheaper just to wait a few weeks to see it digitally; especially how you can now watch it at home in Dolby Vision and Atmos in 4K for less than the price of a movie ticket. And the popcorn isn't $18.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm not a movie watcher, but if friends and fam ask me if I want to join them to watch Batman or a Pixar movie with the kids I'd go.

But only for big splashy movies. I'm not spending money on a drama or comedy. I'll wait for that on streaming. Before streaming, everyone would go (me too) since it wouldnt come out on VHS or DVD for a year. And then movie studios shortened the store release to only like 6 months or less after the theatre run is over. Now it's probably even shorter.

What also makes watching at home more comfortable IMO is all the uber eats and skip the dishes services. So watch at home and order whatever food delivered. And as Mana said, everyone has big screens at home. So now you can watch a movie at home fast, nice screen, comfortable, cheaper, and you dont have to be forced to go to the theatre and watch with numbnuts beside you making noise or bumping your seat.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I think the last movie I went to was Oppenheimer in IMAX, and I want to see Dune 2 in IMAX, but yeah, for the “standard” theater experience, it’s hard to argue against my home theater. 4K OLED, true 5.1 full range sound system, comfy leather recliners, booze and snacks that don’t bankrupt me…I like my home theater.

JayK47

"But you won't get to experience the movie!"

Or so I am always told. I sort of agree. Watching Terminator 2 in theaters was epic. But dealing with the cost, kiosks, assigned seating that is watching a movie today takes away from that experience.

SoloCamo

Most movie theater screens don't have the wow factor when you consider large 4k tv's in the home are pretty common. The annoying people munching away let alone talking or people taking kids to movies they clearly aren't interested in, etc. is not worth the high cost. I mean seriously, I got charged $6 for a bottle of water.

Last movie I saw was Godzilla Minus One and that was right before it got pulled so the theater was pretty quiet.

Last edited:
I honestly don't even remember the last movie I watched in theaters. It's been a few years. The experience just isn't worth it. I can have a nice comfortable viewing time at my house on my great tv, with all the snacks I can muster, next to my wife or ya'lls Moms and not have to pay out my ass to be annoyed by any number of factors involved with going to the theaters.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I will say, for the kids it does still make a difference. When the Mario movie came out it was a whole fun thing to get Mario t shirts to wear and go on opening day and get popcorn and a slurpee and stuff. Turning it into an event like that can be fun still.

But when I watch at home…
think los simpson GIF

winjer

Gold Member
I haven't been to the cinemas in about a decade. It just isn't worth it.
Watching at home is more comfortable. I don't have to drive to the cinema. No overpriced popcorns and drinks. I can pause the movie when I want or need to. No rude or noisy people and children.
There are some cool things about seeing a movie in the cinema, but they don't shift the scale the balance to all the disadvantages.

Ownage

Yes.

I saw Dune 2 at the theatre this week and it was ghetto gangsta behavior as usual. Swore that I would quit going to theaters prior to this week's visit, but was sadly was reminded. How difficult is it not to yell or start selfie filming during the movie. Not a question.

Neighborhood of the theatre doesn't matter anymore. Idiot children and thugs at all of them.

Going to pay whatever and watch it in glorious upscaled 8K at home while my woman gobbles deez.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
why would I ever go to theaters?
Thats the thing. Traditionally, if you want to see movies asap without waiting for the store copy to come out 12 months later, and you want a giant screen with THX sound which your CRT brick tv or small low quality early era ghosting LCD cant do, you go to the theatre. Now, the urge isnt there so much anymore. Although most Pixar and superhero movies still get decent ticket sales. Never mind the budget, but just looking at ticket sales, even the shittiest one still pulls in probably $100M minimum. So it looks like for big cgi movies, there's still people who want to be wowed in front of 50 ft screens.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
These days I only make rare exceptions to go see a film in theaters, especially if it's in IMAX.
Villeneuve and Nolan are pretty much the only dirctors I'd still go to a theater for.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I agree with them. It sucks to watch movies in cinema today, you used to get a break, and now they don't do that. The popcorn is expensive, you share the experience with people, and you can't 1.25x the movie.

I just watched Dune 2, I had to pee the entire time, and that movie would have benefited from being watched at 1.5x.

Mr Hyde

I still love to go the theater. It's still a great experience, but they are making damn sure to kill that experience with absurdly high ticket prices, even more absurdly prices for snack and fucking rug rats you wanna bitch slap for not putting their phones away. My home theater and the convenience to kick back and relax with a good movie all by yourself is getting more and more appealing. But I still support theaters because it's an awesome feeling to see it on the big screen with great sound and effects. Especially if it's a kick ass movie. Seeing Dune 2 tomorrow. Should be a good one.

Last edited:

Quasicat

When Covid was finishing up, I went out for dinner one night, which was across the street from a theater showing Ghostbusters Afterlife. I was thinking about going over and watching it which would cost me $18 for a ticket. I then saw that I could purchase it on YouTube for $25, do so at my leisure, get my own snacks from the kitchen and not have to deal with people.

I took the kids to see the Super Mario Movie, but I have not been there for myself since I saw Step Brothers in 2010.

Sleepwalker

Just went to see Dune on Imax 2 days ago, it was awesome. But most movies I wait for a digital release and watch at home.

I do like going to the cinema with the wife so we go once a month, sometimes every couple weeks, mostly for the experience and on half off nights in the VIP.

If i had a family with kids I wouldn't go at all lol, 2 people is already high enough $ wise.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Yeh I don't get why people would have an issue with assigned seating. Yeh if you are booking close to the showtime you might end up with shitty seats but it's better to know that upfront and pick another time than only finding out when you get in.
I remember when Star Wars 3 (the final sequel released) and I was in LA for E3, and we went to the theater to see it without assigned seating. We waited in line, and my boss went in to "use the bathroon" and eneded up saving us seats :)

Esca

I love going to the movies. I have pass and go often. We see a good portion of what comes out and watch some movies multiple times which is big for me since my concentration and memory are so messed up.

I buy 4ks when they come out for some movies. But the quality of movies is lacking

INC

Well duh, its like £50+ for 2 to go to the cinema nowadays, films even worth seeing is minimum, I have a ridiculous set up at home, and most films take a few weeks to come to streaming in 4k

No brainer

Catphish

For half the price of what it costs to see a movie with my kid at the theater with popcorn and drinks, I can wait a couple of months and buy the movie on UHD, watch it at home in 4k/5.1, pause to pee whenever I wish, and not have to deal with idiots and their fucking cell phones.

I'll probably never set foot in a theater again.

edit: That said, Top Gun: Maverick in IMAX was worth every penny spent.

Last edited:
I hate watching movies in the theaters

Getting tickets early

Having to waste gas and money

Concessions prices

Crowd (I remember watching The Dark Knight when it first came out and it wasn't opening night since I was forced to go this wedding on the day that movie premiered. When I finally watched it, this guy behind me was on his phone and talking so loud and was doing even loudly. I had to tell the guy multiple times to shut up, he kept on doing this. Not to mention other times. Worst theater experience I had)

And to add to the Crowd part, I've been getting more and more bad experience whenever I go to the theater. So no thanks. Especially when another person tried to pick a fight with me. Immediately noped out. Don’t want to deal with that crap

I can't pause the movie to go to the bathroom, or make myself lunch or dinner and come back

Not to mention the movie projector going out and missing the movie because of that malfunction

The bathrooms can be disgusting to use. So I can just use my bathroom where I clean it regularly.

Not a social person, would rather theaters go out of business, so that movie companies can just release them on Steaming/VOD (I'm extremely petty and selfish I know)

On top of how much Agenda Pushing movies are nowadays. Yeah no thanks.

Ever since I stopped going, I've enjoyed just renting the movies I really want to see way more when they come out on VOD. I tend to sail the Seven Seas for whatever I don't think is worth the money

TheUsual

Gold Member
It was fun going as a kid because it was an event. And we had nowhere near a setup at home that could come close to a theater setup. And I will want to do the same for my kids. Seeing movies like Jurassic Park in the theater as a kid left great memories.

Today with a big screen TV and a solid sound bar, I can get a pretty good experience at home. Can pause, have cheap snacks, have subtitles on if needed, and so on.

There's always those fews movies I had to see on the big screen though. Where you know the theater experience will be objectively better. Dunkirk was the last one and that was because of the audio.

Last edited:

RickSanchez

Gold Member
Not surprising, there are several reasons (i am speaking of my experience in my country but i expect its not very different in US or other countries):
  • General rise in ticket prices (which is not completely down to inflation; atleast part of it is production houses squeezing theatres, and theatres in turn squeezing customers) including the associated costs of transport, in-theatre food, etc
  • General decline in quality of movies, fewer movies are worth the total cost of the movie theatre experience. Dune part 1 & 2 are recent exceptions to this that i can remember. They were amazing to watch in IMAX. But otherwise, most modern movies are mediocre as fuck.
  • Worsening movie theatre experience: people in general are becoming bigger assholes. Loud talking, cellphones out with full brightness, coming in 20 minutes late and walking around in front of the screen. Just fucking ruins the experience. Why the fuck should i pay so much money for other assholes to ruin my experience ?
  • Improvement in home watching experience: equipment is becoming more affordable (good screens, projectors, sound systems, etc) and you have total control over your experience. You can plan a convenient time and watch without disturbances and distractions (except for the ones you yourself create).
  • Greater availability of movies on various streaming platforms (or the high seas) at a cheaper price

thefool

It's not comparable and the future is naturally premium experiences but if the option is to see it with a rowdy audience and at home, the choice is obvious.

JayK47

Half the fun was walking into the theater and picking a nice seat on the spot. I would intentionally go when the theater was mostly empty.

Fbh

Can relate.
There are maybe 1-2 movies a year which are worth watching on IMAX.

Everything else is way better at home. Now that you can get a decent setup for relatively cheap I don't feel like I'm missing much in the audio/visual department, and I can actually get decent snacks without having to spend $30

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I tend to focus on the movie more if I go to a theater.

When at home, my attention span has gone to crap and I almost always end up on my phone (often researching the movie I'm watching).

So for movies I want to get the most out of, it's the theater for me. But it's rare. DUNE 2 is the first movie I've seen in theaters in...six months?

Shodai

Ya'll been around people, lately? Yea, me too.

I avoid theaters at all costs, anymore. This is unfortunate, as someone who used to wait in line for ticket pre-purchased tickets quite often for tentpole movies.

Hollywood did this to themselves with the headlong rush into unprofitable streaming models at the same time as most of their movies became shit tier content only good enough for streaming. I hope they enjoy their continuing losses and financial crises

I saw Dune Part 2 on the IMAX and I can't think of another film I actually want to see in the theater coming this year

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

Theaters need to upgrade their screens.

Movies are being shot in 8K HDR and we can see none of that at the cinema. We need those large LED panels that Samsung makes that offer perfect color and contrast everywhere.

Top Bottom