• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with Gold in 2016: Your thoughts

Chris1

Stole the idea from Dangerblade's PS+ version and thought it was cool. Thanks Danger :p Hope you don't mind!

- What were your favourite games?
- What games surprised you with how good they were?
- What games disappointed you?
- Did you feel there was enough variety?
- Are the offerings still worth the cost of subscription?
- Which console had the biggest improvement from last year?
- Which console could do with being improved next year?
- Where the hell is Ryse?

48 total games (24 XB1, 24 360)
Xbox One:
Killer Instinct Season 1 Ultra Edition
Zheros
Hand of Fate
Styx: Master of Shadows
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments
Lords of the Fallen
The Wolf Among Us
Sunset Overdrive
Defense Grid 2
Costume Quest 2
Goat Simulator
The Crew
The Banner Saga 2
Tumblestone
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate
WWE 2K16
Earthlock: Festival of Magic
Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China
Super Mega Baseball: Extra Innings
The Escapists
Super Dungeon Bros.
Murdered: Soul Suspect
Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition
Outlast

Xbox 360/XB1 BC:
DiRT Showdown
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Sacred Citadel
Gears of War 2
Supreme Commander 2
Borderlands
Dead Space
Saints Row IV
Grid 2
Peggle
Super Meat Boy
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
Tron: Evolution
Spelunky
Beyond Good & Evil HD
Forza Horizon
Mirror's Edge
MX vs. ATV Reflex
I Am Alive
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Outland
Burnout Paradise

Hasney

Some of the BC stuff was cool to revisit, but the XB1 games were pretty bad. I wish they had more day 1 exclusive indies that I don't already own. Everything I wanted I had already bought.

WWE and Lords of the Fallen were particular lowlights. But hey, more people got Banner Saga in their lives!

I dont have an Xbox anymore but I would be pretty cheesed if that is what I was getting when I paid for Gold.

From that list, I would maybe install 2. And that is if I had nothing left to play.

Borderlands, Spelunky, Peggle, Beyond Good & Evil. The BC selection was top notch.

Warriors Orochi and Sunset Overdrive were the best freebies of the year.

Why is Ryse not there yet? Whos playing or still buying that game now? Sometimes these guys make no sense.

edit: i added them all to my library, but i dont think ive played one xbox one game. Ive played more BC ones.

edit2: oh i tried sunset overdrive.

Falchion

Sunset Overdrive was awesome by I didn't play many of the One games this year because the few I really cared about, like The Wolf Among Us, I already had.

Wolf Among Us is my favorite pick on XBO, (already own Sunset)

360 side Xcom was fun to play again, but Forza Horizon was fantastic!

Kill3r7

The 360 games had some excellent offerings for the folks who never played these games last gen. The X1 offerings were a mixed bag at best. There were some real gems there such as SO, KI, Sleeping Dogs, The Crew, Banner Saga and The Wolf Among Us but not as many as there should be to make the service great.

P.S. I will repeat the same thing that I said in the PS+ thread, I own too many damn games.

The 360 selection of games is fantastic if you didn't own any of them or are a new Xbox owner.

Didn't realize that there were a bunch of "full" retail games on Xbox. Certain feels more that on PS+, but I haven't done the math.

Sadly, same as with the PS+ list, looking at it, there is not a single game I played from this list. All the games I would have been interested, I got before they were "offered." Only game I would play is Sleeping Dogs at least (soon!).

Sunset Overdrive alone made the year valuable IMO.

see5harp

I actually finally decided to play through Spelunky on 360 and man it just highlights how stupid MS was with XBLA and updates. Doesn't have daily challenges and doesn't even have small UI option. It's basically the first place you could have played the game and ended up being the worst.

Chris1

The 360 games had some excellent offerings for the folks who never played these games last gen. The X1 offerings were a mixed bag at best. There were some real gems there such as SO, KI, Sleeping Dogs, The Crew, Banner Saga and The Wolf Among Us but not as many as there should be to make the service great.

I agree, XB1 had the best individual games imo but the consistency just wasn't there. It could go from amazing to trash real quick. The 360 was much more consistent in terms of quality.

blakep267

Ok I guess

The only highlights personally were

- Wolf Among us
- Sunset overdrive( already beat it but I was able to finish the dlc)
- Killer instinct season 1

None of the 360 games really did it for me. I was excited for Borderlands but it's just looked terrible and I kept getting headaches while playing it

Also I feel like they are giving away way too many "racing games". I feel like there have been multiple dirt/grid games and ATV games

trixx

Just got one this month nice bunch of games coming for next month which is nice. Also I never owned a 360 so this looks like it will be very good for me. Looking forward to it

I did get Forza Horizon bc free which is nice, haven't downloaded the games this month cause they look like whatever and I got too many games atm

From the xbox one titles on sunset overdrive, sleeping dogs and KI interest me. Do like the 360 games though

Gestault

I think ignoring all other parts of Gold, if there was a standalone service which let you rent these 48 games for one year for $45, a lot of people would bite.

For me personally, I think there were maybe 10 strong titles on the XB1 side, but the BC side is outright excellent. Doubly-so since the 360 titles are permanent ownership, even without a Gold membership.

Sizzle55

Bought an Xbox One for Sunset Overdrive and was well worth it for that alone!

I like having WWE 2K16 to have the odd game or two. Overall happy with the year, annoyed I missed out on Killer Instinct but it's so good I am ok with paying for it.

Edit: Forgot the upcoming Burnout Paradise that is a huge win! Can't wait to get back into it

chemicals

for xbone it was hit and miss... but for xb360 it was great (although it sucked for me because I already owned all of those games. yes all of them.)

On the positive side there are far more games from this list that appealed to me than from the PS+ list. On the negative side a good percentage of those games that appeal to me are ones that I had already purchased.

KORNdoggy

Personally i found it worthless.

They give away a lot of old retail releases, but the problem i have with that is i end up owning them already. I think there was 2 games i actually downloaded this year and one of them wasn't even an official GWG. The rest i either own on xbone. Own on ps4. or was given for free years ago on PS+

Not only has it made me realise i needn't bother subscribing next year, but its made me realise how redundant multi console ownership really is. Thankfully i don't play online and i got the gold sub for £20 (still too much, but better then a kick in the balls i suppose lol)

My favorite was Forza Horizon, put in 40+ hours into that and finished every event although not all the street races and stuff (yet). BC in general just put xbox one on a whole other tier for me personally, not just games with GWG but just BC in general especially for Forza Horizon and Red Dead Redemption and coming up Burnout. Also looking forward to another run of BG&E after a decade (?) or more, although I own it on PC too.

Felt like a really good variety and mix of games this year.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Killer Instinct, Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon, Burnout Paradise, Beyond Good & Evil, Deus Ex HR... did good this year.

EmiPrime

I am very happy with it, I bought another 2 years of Gold for £50 this BF just for the GWG (I don't play online very often).

Hasney

Actually, now I read through that 360 list, I may as well cancel Live. Sure I had some fun playing some returns, but it would be cheaper for me to re-buy those games than the Live sub.

Hell, if I could get Burnout on PC working with the XB1 controller, I wouldn't have needed that either.

Nephtes

Loving Games with Gold far more so than PS+ free games in general, especially due to backwards compatibility.
I'm getting to play a bunch of stuff I missed out on last gen...

My only complaint is that I already purchased many of the Xbox One games they offered...

Maybe I need to stop buying new games and just wait to see if they ever get added to Games with Gold...

Oynox

I was genuinely impressed by Styx and the Sherlock Holmes game, though I did not play them as much as I would have liked. My personal highlight was Sunset Overdrive, definitely. In my opinion it is one of the best GwG titles.

But yeah, where is Ryse?! I always refrain from buying it in local deals because I hope for it to become free. It would love to play that again since it still is one of my favorite Xbox One games of all time.

I wish they would give away more quality indie games and stop doing those "launches free with Games with Gold" crap because those game were almost always crap. Some of them even felt like free early access titles (yes, I am looking at you billiard game!)...

MrBS

Redeemed all, played none bar a couple rounds of Killer Instinct. I think that's a better effort than PS+ but I'd have to see a list for that too.

There's only a few Xbox One games on that list that are worth a damn but the fact that you can play all those 360 games on the bone makes it infinitely more attractive. The backwards compatible stuff on the Xbox One has been pretty freaking awesome....in fact that's more or less what we use that system for now.

Prefer this over what PS plus has been giving me

yyr

Considering I was already paying for Gold (over 10 years), and plan to continue in the future, this list was pretty excellent. I haven't even gotten around to trying all of them yet, but even the games that many considered "meh" have been entertaining me, like Tumblestone. There's a lot of variety in this list, and although I already owned several of them, I found a lot to enjoy.

Looking forward to finding out what 2017 will bring...especially since I'm going to try to focus on my backlog and buy NO new games next year (apart from Tekken 7 Fated Retribution and Project DIVA Future Tone, which I absolutely must have).

Cfer

Neo Member
I have been thoroughly enjoying GWG this year, but I also never owned an Xbox 360 so lots to discover

HF2014

If PS4 was only half this good i would have maybe kept it and support ps plus. Seriously, kudos to Xbox, it was a great year for Gold!

Duxxy3

- What were your favourite games? Saints Row 4 and Spelunky
- What games surprised you with how good they were? None really. The XB1 games didn't hold my interest. The BC games were better
- What games disappointed you? Pretty much all of the XB1 games
- Did you feel there was enough variety? Yes.
- Are the offerings still worth the cost of subscription? Yes.
- Which console had the biggest improvement from last year? Not sure.
- Which console could do with being improved next year? In this thread? XB1. In both subs... PS4, and it isn't even close.
- Where the hell is Ryse? Don't know, already finished it. Decent game.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Yeah I'd agree that 360 GWG > XBO GWG and both are significantly better than PS3/4 PS+.

Lkr

nothing on the 360 side matters to me, i already own the 360 games I care about after owning that system for like 10 years now

on the one side i think GWG is VERY weak. i missed on sunset overdrive but i got WWE and still haven't played it, still in my backlog lol. Best GWG imo so far was Rayman Legends but that was either last year or the year before

was valiant hearts given out last year as well?

i only pay for xbl for multiplayer, i am firmly of the belief that if MS offered this separate and introduced a multiplayer only tier, no one would pay extra for GWG. the games they put up just aren't any good (or the xbox one library is REALLY lacking, not really sure which)

I'm paying for gold either way, the games are a nice "bonus" but when you only get 1 or 2 you really care about its hard to act like MS is doing something nice with GWG.

Chris1

Also I feel like they are giving away way too many "racing games". I feel like there have been multiple dirt/grid games and ATV games

I agree, 6 games this year and last year ended with quite a few racing games aswell.

I like racing games but I do think they could have done with a few less racers. Where's the Splinter Cells? Hitmans? Batmans? Assassins Creeds? Portal? Alan Wake? Halos? Fallouts? Resident Evils?

Maybe it's just a case of racing games being easier to get running on BC and obviously there's the remasters cutting into that but I agree. Less focus on racers next year would be nice.

Flux

I mentioned it in the Ps plus thread, but basically I cut Ps plus and kept my gold membership when budgeting out my gaming expenses. Side by side, I played way more GWGs. Sherlock Holmes and wolf among us are great games that I may have missed out on. WWE is hot garbage, but at least I found out without directly buying it.

Microsoft disappointed me even more than Sony did - the 360 list was better than the Xbone list!

Most of the Xbone GWG games did not appeal to me, and the games that actually were appealing got boring (Sunset Overdrive, Goat Simulator, WWE 2K16), repetitive (Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate), or just annoyed me (KI Season 1). A lot of the 360 BC games are solid though, but I had already played most of them before.

Pretty poor overall tbh. Banner Saga 2 was the only game I hadn't already played that I spent any real time with. 360 games I barely touched. Though I guess I don't really use my Xbone very much anymore in general, so I suppose the lack of motivation to turn the console on affects how much time I'm likely to spend on these games maybe.

Overall, I don't think I've gotten much out of this Gold sub the past year or so at least.

Sunset Overdrive was a great get for anyone that didn't already have it. It's still my favorite game on the console.

As usual with both GWG and PS+, I already owned all the games I was interested in. I suppose its better than nothing though. Ultimately, I'm paying for multiplayer, not the free games.

The 360 selection was actually pretty good for those that missed large chunks of last gen.

Some great games, some good games and some rubbish games.

I normally pay £25 a year for Live and I have it stacked up until 2019, for the money we pay I'm more than happy with the Xbox One and the fact we can replay the 360 games with better performance is the icing on the cake.

I'd like to see more day one releases though, that's an area it can improve.

Top Bottom