• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moving to Canada Advice

Reckheim

A bit confused at all this shade for Toronto... Yeah people are pretentious, but it's a nice city. Very LGBT friendly and very ethnically diverse. I've had a much more pleasant experience in Toronto than any other city I've lived in (at least in Canada). Also love how connected everything is and the transit is really good compared to everywhere else in Canada aside Vancouver and Montreal. In terms of the arts and entertainment it's also ace and I would only consider Vancouver as the other alternative. It just sucks since both cities are expensive to live in. I'm personally not fond of Montreal, but it would be my third pick. I also find the people in Montreal much ruder than the other two so I'm a bit puzzled at why Toronto is being singled out.

Also Montreal drivers are the worst. I'd hate to live there.

Apathy

People that claim torontonians to be rude and "like Americans" have never actually met a rude American.

I lived in LA for about 5 years and have lived in Toronto for 23. I can tell you Toronto is a Canadian city through and through, it's just that it is definitely going at light speed compared to the rest of the country.

Do it, dude. I went the opposite way (Canada to the UK when my Canadian company opened a branch in the UK) and I am loving it.

My dad told me, 'you can always come back here, but not everyone gets these chances' So I did.

No regrets for me, but also depends on your personality of course.

And you get to travel around Canada and thr US as well.

Kinsei

Banned
I can see that, although I am not sure how that makes it the U.S of Canada. Are all Americans rude? I will agree with your initial post though, that Toronto is the most "American" city in Canada in terms of look and feel.

Americans do have a reputation for being rude (Kinda ridiculous when you consider how different one state can feel from another) which is where the comparison comes from.

What makes you say that? (other than the drivers, lol)

In my experience the people from there don't seem to slow down, ever. Ya know, the kind of people that are always so busy that they can't even spare the time to say "You too" when a cashier says "Have a nice day."

Used to live in Toronto, and travel to Montreal pretty regularly.

Is your job in the city? If so then I highly recommend getting a place in the city. Don't touch the burbs. You can get by Montreal with not speaking French but it'll be better if you do.

Both are great cities but I prefer Toronto. Winter will hit you like a bag of bricks in Montreal. Lots of outdoors stuff nearby for both. Hiking, biking, canoeing, skating, skiing etc. Toronto has some of the best food in the world. Rent in Toronto is extremely high but you'll probably laugh if you're coming from London. Know a bunch of British and Irish expats here and they love it.

Also don't listen to the Toronto is the US of Canada thing. North American cities in general are all very similar, but I've never seen a city as diverse and represent Canada better than Toronto.

if you end up in toronto familiarize yourself with the path, it's a godsend in the winter.

blue = north
red = south
orange = west
yellow = east

The standard response to "thank you" is "thank you". Not with extra emphasis on the "you" or anything like that; just a straight-up neutral tone "thank you", same as they gave. Or even "thanks", if you're speaking casually.

People talk about "sorry" as the example of Canadian politeness, but in my experience, it's totally all about the "thank you".

To add to this, the standard response to "sorry" is "sorry." If someone bumps into you on the street, or gets in your way at a supermarket aisle, they will say "sorry," and then you respond with "sorry" right back. By both accepting blame (even though one side is at fault), you will eliminate any hard feelings, as is Canadian tradition.

This politeness is the social grease that keeps the gears turning for a polite society.

To add to this, the standard response to "sorry" is "sorry." If someone bumps into you on the street, or gets in your way at a supermarket aisle, they will say "sorry," and then you respond with "sorry" right back. By both accepting blame (even though one side is at fault), you will eliminate any hard feelings, as is Canadian tradition.

This politeness is the social grease that keeps the gears turning for a polite society.

I also thank the bus driver for...getting me safely to my destination? Is this normal?

Kraftwerk

I would move to Montreal if winter isn't an issue.

As someone who's been in Toronto for a few years and visited Montreal.... Montreal is significantly better. Reminds me of the times I used to live in Europe.

dankir

Join us in the 514. Great city, great activities, huge festivals, great women, great nightlife, food scene, we're a great sports city (if you're a hockey fan :D)

Yes winters can be bad but you'll get that in Toronto as well.

Sapiens

Buy good boots, make sure you have winter tires for your car and if probably purchase an SUV if I were new to Canadian winters.

Kazerei

Banned
Say what now?

https://web.toronto.ca/explore-enjoy/visitor-services/path-torontos-downtown-pedestrian-walkway/

Basically it's a giant underground maze in downtown Toronto that connects shops, hotels, subway stations, etc. Very useful for getting around in the winter. It can be a bit confusing at first, but knowing this can help you keep your bearings.

Each letter in PATH is a different colour, each representing a direction. The P is red and represents south. The orange A directs pedestrians to the west, while the blue T directs them to the north. The H is yellow and points to the east.

JWiLL

Banned
The most ironic thing about both of these threads is that I've been recently looking at jobs in London, Canada... Is that a boring city?

Not if you're interested in University age girls.

But uh....yeah, not much else going on there.

dankir

Buy good boots, make sure you have winter tires for your car and if probably purchase an SUV if I were new to Canadian winters.

If you end up living in Quebec winter tires are mandatory from Dec 15th - March 15th. Crossover/SUV isn't a must though.

HarryKS

My company recently opened up several new positions in Canada and have asked for people willing to move out there and help pay for the moving bills and first 3 months of rent.

Most of the jobs are in Toronto, some are in Montreal. My wife and I have always wanted to travel the world and the idea of doing a year or more in Canada is really appealing.

Are there things I should know about before I start moving on this?

I'm from the UK and hold a British passport btw.

You'll have access to more (relevant) football on tv here than in the UK. The only competition you won't have access to is the Carabao Cup.

Azuran

Banned
Our soccer team in Toronto is great right now.

Surely that matters the most to a British person.

Edit: All the nonsensical Toronto shade in this thread. You can clearly tell the jealous people who are sad they don't live in this great city.

I'll take your opinions seriously about my city when you get your own baseball team and stop badwagoning from our success.

Edit: All the nonsensical Toronto shade in this thread. You can clearly tell the jealous people who are sad they don't live in this great city.

I'll take your opinions seriously about my city when you get your own baseball team and stop badwagoning from our success.

Nooooooo...Torontonians aren't rude, see?...

:p

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Our soccer team in Toronto is great right now.

Surely that matters the most to a British person.

I'm a British expat and I get asked this constantly. "Oh, British!? So who's your football team?"

I don't have one, I've never even liked football and know nothing about it. I've been a Chicago Blackhawks fan my entire life and feel very lucky to have ended up living in the most hockey-obsessed nation on Earth!

Also, not jealous at all. Glad I live in KW instead.

As a non resident working in Canada, you will be taxed a straight percentage of your wages. Up to 15 percent. And then an extra 9 percent if you go to Montreal. Look into waivers or resident status.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
https://web.toronto.ca/explore-enjoy/visitor-services/path-torontos-downtown-pedestrian-walkway/

Basically it's a giant underground maze in downtown Toronto that connects shops, hotels, subway stations, etc. Very useful for getting around in the winter. It can be a bit confusing at first, but knowing this can help you keep your bearings.

Toronto has a huge underground tunnel complex connecting office towers, shopping and major points of interests. It's huge and you can get super lost. I love it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PATH_(Toronto)

Ahhh okay. You can tell I spend all my time in the West End and not downtown. My mom knew exactly what this was.

Pfft, fuck PATH, Montreal has the much cooler RÉSO :p
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_City,_Montreal

And a scarf.

Trust me. It's the difference between miserable winters and okay ones.

If he wants to REALLY fit in a Canada Goose jacket is a necessity
don't do this

EDIT: I've been to and lived in several different cities across Canada and I don't think Torontonians are rude at all, for the most part. All the rude people live in North York.

As a non resident working in Canada, you will be taxed a straight percentage of your wages. Up to 15 percent. And then an extra 9 percent if you go to Montreal. Look into waivers or resident status.

If you stay in Canada for a full year for tax purposes you are a resident. So you'd be taxed normally and need to file a return to the CRA like anyone else.

In Ontario taxes are a bit cheaper than Quebec but in Toronto housing costs are batshit insane plus public benefits in Quebec/Montreal are superior so you won't end up saving much if at all.

Dipper145

You're going to probably be well liked and get a lot of attention because you're British. Be prepared for the same questions about being British from everyone you speak too.

Be polite, say please, thank you, have a nice day to people. In small towns it's normal to say some form of hey how's it going to people you walk past on the street.

I'd highly recommend not living in Toronto and taking the train and subway system to work every day. Or drive and park at like finch and then the subway into the city. It would be cheaper, but increase travel times. I guess the value of the trade off is completely up to you.

I'd suggest not going to Montreal. Only because I've heard from experiences from English speaking friends through friends who moved there that they are not treated very well by the locals. Although obviously not always the case, it's something to consider. Also might be different since you're British and not a Canadian who doesn't speak french. Life in Toronto would probably just be easier for you due to no real huge language barriers to overcome.

AudioNoir

Banned
How was the weather compared to where you are from? I visited last year and placed it on my list of places to move to if work allowed but I only saw it in August. Don't mind having to take an immersion French study class if I must.

I found the seasons to be very true to themselves-- winter was a dry cold and snowy, spring and fall were brief and cool, and summer was stupid hot :) The only thing I disliked about it all was heading down to the metros in winter gear, because it was so damn warm down there.

I was brought up and currently live in Atlantic Canada, where the weather is basically winter and summer. Montreal was well balanced in comparison. Also, I was surprised at how much easier it was to go about Montreal as an Anglophone compared to a place like New Brunswick. Wowza.

DTKT

You're going to probably be well liked and get a lot of attention because you're British. Be prepared for the same questions about being British from everyone you speak too.

Be polite, say please, thank you, have a nice day to people. In small towns it's normal to say some form of hey how's it going to people you walk past on the street.

I'd highly recommend not living in Toronto and taking the train and subway system to work every day. Or drive and park at like finch and then the subway into the city. It would be cheaper, but increase travel times. I guess the value of the trade off is completely up to you.

I'd suggest not going to Montreal. Only because I've heard from experiences from English speaking friends through friends who moved there that they are not treated very well by the locals. Although obviously not always the case, it's something to consider. Also might be different since you're British and not a Canadian who doesn't speak french. Life in Toronto would probably just be easier for you due to no real huge language barriers to overcome.

What? Is this really how people from the outside view Canada? I don't think I've ever been faced with one instance of someone being nothing less than nice with a stranger.

Montreal housing is way way way way more AFFORDABLE than Toronto.

Toronto will require you to commute far out in the suburbs to get anything matching Montreal Island's housing prices
aef35b6f8ac8d80f5fbc67147207dbcb.jpg

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Toronto will require you to commute far out in the suburbs to get anything matching Montreal Island's housing prices

Damn at West Vancouver. And here I thought houses were expensive in Quebec.

Dan-o

In my experience, Americans are nicer/friendlier than Torontoers lol

Yes, this. Except that time I was in NYC and a driver yelled "GO BACK TO LA!" when we were crossing the street. I was all, "LOL, We're from--" but he drove away too fast. :( That was pretty mean of him. Otherwise, yes. Americans are friendlier. :)

Another thing to brace yourself for, our telecoms options are not consumer friendly. Be prepared to spend more money on internet and cell phone services.

Yes, it's bad. I was doing alright with WIND (now Freedom) mobile paying like $40/month, but coverage/speed was hit or miss in my area at the time. I hear they're the only provider with service in the subway/metro/whatever-you-call-it-in-Toronto lines, though.

Flux

Holy crap I have been taking the PATH every day for years and had no idea it was "color coded".
Learn something new every day. I use it all year. Escape the heatwaves in summer, keep warm in the winter more importantly avoid all that second hand smoke.

Another thing to brace yourself for, our telecoms options are not consumer friendly. Be prepared to spend more money on internet and cell phone services.

mdubs

Banned
Move to Calgary or Vancouver if Toronto is not your thing. Move to Quebec if you’re fond of government corruption or having to deal with not understanding French

jimmypython

A bit confused at all this shade for Toronto... Yeah people are pretentious, but it's a nice city. Very LGBT friendly and very ethnically diverse. I've had a much more pleasant experience in Toronto than any other city I've lived in (at least in Canada). Also love how connected everything is and the transit is really good compared to everywhere else in Canada aside Vancouver and Montreal. In terms of the arts and entertainment it's also ace and I would only consider Vancouver as the other alternative. It just sucks since both cities are expensive to live in. I'm personally not fond of Montreal, but it would be my third pick. I also find the people in Montreal much ruder than the other two so I'm a bit puzzled at why Toronto is being singled out.

Glad that you enjoy the city :)

I live in Toronto and moved from Ottawa. I like Ottawa WAY MORE than Toronto.

Switch Back 9

Move to Calgary or Vancouver if Toronto is not your thing. Move to Quebec if you're fond of government corruption or having to deal with not understanding French

Ew, no, don't do this. Everything between Ontario and BC is basically terrible (no offence prairies/'berta GAF). Calgary in particular blows.

Glad that you enjoy the city :)

I live in Toronto and moved from Ottawa. I like Ottawa WAY MORE than Toronto.

This is madness. Ottawa sucks. There's like nothing to do for such an important city and all your one way streets are bullshit, driving in Ottawa ages me years at a time. If you don't work in government I can't fathom why you'd want to live there. My uncle lives there and flies back to Toronto like every weekend.
Plus fuck the Sens.

Begbie

Housing prices have shot up a bit in the last couple years.. I'd add 20-25% to those prices

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Ew, no, don't do this. Everything between Ontario and BC is basically terrible (no offence prairies/'berta GAF). Calgary in particular blows.

Word. In particular I have heard that Calgary and the surrounding area is an extremely conservative, non-progressive place. Staying well away from Calgary.

darscot

The color coding is so weird on this. I assumed red the worst and green the best and thought this makes no sense. Clearly the colors are just random.

prophetvx

Ew, no, don't do this. Everything between Ontario and BC is basically terrible (no offence prairies/'berta GAF). Calgary in particular blows..
I must admit it's difficult living here with like 10 ski resorts within 3-4 hours drive and bucketloads of mountain biking nearby. Without needing to shovel over 15 feet of snow in the winters.

Calgary has improved a lot over the last 5 or 6 years. The nightlife is still pretty ordinary, but there is a fair few good restaurants / cocktail bars and the rockies are a 45 minute drive away. I'd much rather that than living in a place like Toronto.

I say that as someone who grew up in Sydney, Australia. I'd gladly take Calgary over any massive city these days.

Switch Back 9

Word. In particular I have heard that Calgary and the surrounding area is an extremely conservative, non-progressive place. Staying well away from Calgary.

Calgary is a hole. It's an incredibly ugly, flat city with zero personality surrounded by and chock full of rig workers, ranchers, and all manner of wannabe 'Murica cowboy types. Again, no offence to the posters in here from Calgary but I've spent a lot of time in that city and don't really have anything positive to say about it and certainly would never recommend living there.

Top Bottom