• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Embracer CEO confirms TimeSplitters studio faces closure before Christmas

bitbydeath

F U had one job.
Although Embracer has yet to publicly confirm Free Radical’s position, sources told VGC that Wingefors has now acknowledged in a company email that the Nottingham, UK-based company could be closed on December 11, following the completion of a consultation process.
“As we move through the consultation process and face the potential closure of Free Radical Design on 11 December 2023, I want to express my gratitude for your commitment and the remarkable work you’ve done and still keep doing,” he wrote.

“This is a challenging time for all of us but especially for you, and our focus is to support you as much as we can during this transition.”
There remains a possibility that the studio could remain open then, should Embracer receive interest from third parties interested in acquiring it.

//DEVIL//

The Embracer CEO needs to step down, this is getting out of hand.
Clean house at the top would be the correct approach
When we hear Free Redical, it makes it sound like the whole original team is there. when in fact there are probably 90% of the staff are gone and the remaining are few pink and purple haired dudes that spend their time on twitter fighting normal people.

If the team had something to show, or even a remaster of the old games that are presentable and playable, I would assume Embracer would have release these online already at PSN/Xbox or even on PC under Epic launcher for Free ( if costs of releasing a complied build was an issue to Embracer and fearing it wont make any money to cover the cost of releasing it on a platform.

but truth remains, They showed nothing of promise for years now. so good riddance to be honest.

I would rather the studio to close rather than tarnish a game that is considered a classic.

Last edited:

Moses85

Sad In A Box GIF

Denton

To blitz the market and be successful while spending as little money as possible on actual game development...

Embracer has (had) over 200 titles in development. This year alone Embracer companies released, among others:

Jagged Alliance 3
Trine 5
Last Train Home
Remnant II
Dead Island 2
Payday 3
System Shock
Scars Above
Ride 5
Hot Wheels Unleashed 2

Sounds to me they spend quite a lot on game dev.
But they got into debt and after the saudi deal fell through and stock price fell, they need to start saving up more.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Embracer has (had) over 200 titles in development. This year alone Embracer companies released, among others:

Jagged Alliance 3
Trine 5
Last Train Home
Remnant II
Dead Island 2
Payday 3
System Shock
Scars Above
Ride 5
Hot Wheels Unleashed 2

Sounds to me they spend quite a lot on game dev.
But they got into debt and after the saudi deal fell through and stock price fell, they need to start saving up more.
Only Dead Island 2 has made much money. They bring out a lot of games, but they don't sell well.

Denton

Only Dead Island 2 has made much money. They bring out a lot of games, but they don't sell well.
Remnant 2 and Jagged Alliance 3 also sold well. About the rest we do not have official info.
But yes they rarely have huge megaselller. Last was probably Valheim.

Last edited:

Kadve

Sad but honestly i dont even know why they bothered recreating them with Dambuster being a thing. And as far as we know theyve done nothing but fart around for the last few years.

When we hear Free Redical, it makes it sound like the whole original team is there. when in fact there are probably 90% of the staff is gone and the remaining are few pink and purple haired dudes that spend their time on twitter fighting normal people.
Plus, it really wouldn't be Timesplitters without the sexy pinup style girls, right now the UK development culture is very NOT friendly to that sort of thing, so I'm sure there's been a lot of in fighting over which direction to take the game in.

CamHostage

LOL, a guaranteed date of a potential closure.

Embracer, goddamn. How are they so bad at this?

I believe there is a European or UK dissolution system where corporations have to do some kind of earnest financial attempt of resolution or marketing the team to other buyers over a period before they can close down an office. Everybody at Free Radical has known this was happening since that first notice, and that the prospects of acquisition/rescue were bleak (some people have already been actively looking for new jobs,) it's just part of the process.

CamHostage

None of the original Timesplitters team is even still there so who the fuck cares?

??
Free Radical was reformed by David Doak and Steve Ellis in 2021, as part of Embracer's effort to re-introduce the franchise.

Which has oddly-relevant history here which is sort of is worth mentioning (albeit so much history has gone down that it's hard to tell what mattered or who was in what group at any given time in the course of things.)

Dead Island 2 developer Dambuster Studios was originally the offshoot/life-raft of Free Radical staff, back when that original version of the developer hit a previous financial wall and closed up shop. (It was Free Radical, then Crytek acquired what survived of the Haze/SW:BF3 debacle and became Crytek UK, then they became Dambuster at Koch Media/Plaion, and then some of the original guys from the Goldeneye/Timesplitters days came back together and started a new Free Radical.)

They bought up all these studios, people got excited their favorite series would be brought back, Embracer then essentially forced everybody to watch as they lay to rest each studio one by one.

Yes, brutal, although there was little hope for many of these studios and IPs to continue on without the Embracer/THQ Nordic sweep-up of brands. (Many of them would have gone indie, and assumedly would have had their own spiritual successors, but only a few of them would have succeeded to make it on their own.) And some titles, like Darkstalkers and Destroy All Humans, actually got out to market in the Embracer system. The financials of the company seem incredibly stupid (and the whole idea of banking on old brands which bankrupted/broke down the original THQ or other companies who sold the original titles always seemed suspect,) but hey, it worked for a minute there...

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
A remaster of Timesplitters 2 was in the works years back from what I'd heard... might not have been Free Radical's project directly, but I'm a little surprised that never materialized.

Also, for those saying they need to clean house at the top... that's not going to do much at this point except throw things into further disarray. The damage has been done.

rkofan87

Gold Member
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pejo

I don't think I've ever seen as much of a
jkJjHLn.png

move as with Embracer and the buying of IPs/Studios only to cancel/close them.

Like what the fuck were they even thinking?

For a GAF-Famous food analogy, it's the equivalent of me going to the grocery store, buying 20 gallons of milk then bringing it home and just letting it sit by the heater for 2 weeks before dumping it down the drain.

Last edited:

CamHostage

A remaster of Timesplitters 2 was in the works years back from what I'd heard... might not have been Free Radical's project directly, but I'm a little surprised that never materialized.

You're probably thinking of Timesplitters Rewind, which is an indie project that has been in the works for a long time now (original plans for a remake were revealed in 2013) and we haven't gotten an update since December 2022 April 2023 (maybe we'll get another Christmas gift video update from the team soon...), but it's the most promising future for Timesplitters if this indeed is the end (again) for Free Radical.

"TimeSplitters Rewind is a remake of the original games in the series. We plan to capture the look and feel of the game using Unreal Engine. The game will be free for all upon release with constant new content."

This Rewind project is somewhere between bootleg and legit remake; they had somehow gotten the legal go-ahead to continue making the remake (even after Embracer announced plans to revive the franchise,) but it must be a totally original project despite the remake'iness, with no assets ripped from the original. No copyrighted Timesplitters elements, everything must be "remade" by hand in the style of the original. It was to be a TS 1/2/3 remake starting with multiplayer modes, but now it's a TS1 remake with hope to expand into the TS 2/3 content if the first one ever gets done.

CamHostage

"You're probably thinking of Timesplitters Rewind..."

Nope. Official project.

Er, then you're probably thinking of the version of TS2 that showed up in a Dambusters Studio game...

A developer (only a programmer at the studio, and not an original Free Radical/Rare staffer,) was able to sneak a quickly-yet-impressively remastered version into the PC version of Homefront: The Revolution. This port was originally just a 2-level "arcade" demo hidden easter egg in Homefront 2, but the full application and code is actually included, and some hacks have gone into unlocking all the levels and potentially the multiplayer mode (which was weirdly fully coded to play online even though it would be severely difficult to run multiplayer with this version inside Homefront 2.) Rumor was that this TS2 port originated in a planned PC remaster/re-release of the game in the last days of Free Radical, but that's not substantiated by the guy who hacked it in so I don't know where that story comes from; the Timesplitters 2 port was never released separately from the Homefront 2 build of the game, and Deep Silver/Embracer has AFAIK never commented on this TS2 remaster or any other remakes being planned for release separately.

For anybody who wants to play Timesplitters 2 for real, in 4K, that's out there. There are still some bugs and issues and the MP may never get hacked (the github of the crack project hasn't had an update in over a year,) also you have to buy Homefront 2 on PC to get this, but it may be worth checking out if you have Homefront 2 or want to spend $20 on it. The original Xbox 1 game also is on Xbox Live.

Last edited:

A.Romero

If Wikipedia is to be believed this studio has been suffering financial issues since 2009 and their latest game was released in 2014.

If they weren't purchased by embracer they would have been gone long ago. Is there any indication at all that they would have been better by not being purchased? I think not.

It might have been a stupid decision to buy them back then but then again, why would we care how Embracer wastes money?

I don't know what people expect. It feels like you guys just read that studio is closing and automatically think it's a systematic effort by a big publishers to eliminate devs when the actual studio agreed to be purchased at some point. They either want to cash out or are in life support and need the money. Are you willing to pay $100 for an indie so they can comfortably survive? I wouldn't.

CamHostage

If Wikipedia is to be believed this studio has been suffering financial issues since 2009 and their latest game was released in 2014...

Heh, nope. Pretty sure whatever wiki you looked up said everything wrong. Well, except that Free Radical has a history of financial trouble, but they had already succumbed to it by 2008.

You're right that this project and company would not have existed without the harebrained scheme Embracer had to run a business off old brands and aging studios. Whether they should be thanked or shamed for trying and getting our hopes up, that is up for interpretation.

I don't think I've ever seen as much of a
jkJjHLn.png

move as with Embracer and the buying of IPs/Studios only to cancel/close them.

Like what the fuck were they even thinking?

For a GAF-Famous food analogy, it's the equivalent of me going to the grocery store, buying 20 gallons of milk then bringing it home and just letting it sit by the heater for 2 weeks before dumping it down the drain.
It was a pretty blatant attempt to get a lot of random studios and IP's and then package them up to sell to the Saudis for a quick profit. Basically like house flipping for IP. The fact that even the Saudis took one look and were like "lol no" gives you an idea of what real value the stuff they bought up actually had. Even Tomb Raider has extremely little value in 2023.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Merry Christmas Free Radical.

I thought Embracer dumping the studio before the year ended would be due to clearing the books as much as possible for year end fiscal year.

But I googled it and Embracer's fiscal year isnt even a calendar year. It goes from April 1 to March 31. So if they had a heart, they could had kept them employed through Christmas an gas them in Q1 2024 and still have the expenses charged to their current fiscal year.

Why do i feel like acquiring all these studios only to fire so many people and close studios that otherwise would still exist if they hadn’t been bought as something that should be illegal? Is it just me?

Three

Why do i feel like acquiring all these studios only to fire so many people and close studios that otherwise would still exist if they hadn’t been bought as something that should be illegal? Is it just me?
Honestly this is what I see embracer as. An IP gutting gig where they bought up as much as they can and now they're doing mass layoffs. They weren't interested in the workforce. Somebody is going to sweep in and "save" embracer after most of the cost cutting and people have gone. That has been my prediction about them ever since they initially went on a buying spree.

Who wants to bet Embracer themselves will be bought? Seems more like a fish net.

Last edited:

Gojiira

I hope you don't ever get made redundant from your job especially before Christmas. I'm sure you keep the same energy for yourself though, SMDH.
Oh fucking please, if the studio actually produced anything of value in the last 10 years they wouldnt be in that situation…Fuck me cry me a goddamn river, yes its tragic when people lose their jobs but they havent made a good game since Timesplitters 3, thats a long time to be on life support…SMDH

There remains a possibility that the studio could remain open then, should Embracer receive interest from third parties interested in acquiring it.
I guess serious interest was non existant, they probably have asked the big players and now it's firesale time and they hope some weirdo investor takes a big risk in pumping money into it while not paying Embracer almost or actually nothing.

Who would want a studio without any really meaningful IP and probably a kinda useless workforce that has not yet made anything to a prototype state that is considered by themselves to be worth continuing. So talking with some individuals that are worth to extract, getting some leftover talent is the most to actually expect.

Top Bottom