• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Sweeney "All platforms should embrace cross-play; it benefits everyone"

If third party publishers push for cross play en masses then perhaps Sony will budge. I'm not sure I could see it happening soon any other way though.

I'm having a hard time understanding why anyone is opposed to cross play. What are some of the most compelling arguments against it?

jamsy

In theory, I agree.

On the other hand, if I'm playing something on Switch, I'd probably rather not be going up against people with $500 keyboard/mouse combos.

KOHIPEET

If Sony really cares about their user base the way they've said, they could still allow cross-play, just allow players to choose from options.

"Do you wish to enable cross-platform play. (Note: We cannot guarantee your mind's safety if you choose yes.)"

The bracket part is jk obviously, but you get the point.

If third party publishers push for cross play en masses then perhaps Sony will budge. I'm not sure I could see it happening soon any other way though.

He also responded to someone asking about Sony holding things up:

I bet there's more to this story. Sony has been super cool in supporting our successful PC+PS4 Paragon cross-play efforts.

Kebiinu

Banned
I'm having a hard time understanding why anyone is opposed to cross play. What are some of the most compelling arguments against it?

"Sony is only losing by allowing crossplay. Instead of buying a PS4 to play with your friends, you can buy an Xbox and Sony loses a sale. Good on Sony for sticking to their consumer base."

CookTrain

Get in there Sweeney. Hopefully he's in a place where he has a game on most/all platforms, so he can navigate these choppy relational waters as well. Sounds like he's already got the PS4/PC experience, which is great.

test_account

XP-39C²
Different argument. Steam is not a platform in the way that PC is a platform. Don't distract the message here.
Having their games available on more store front mean that they can reach more customers potentially and it makes it easier for the consumer to choose where to buy it. It benefits everyone.

Jonnax

Yeah. Just in the case of Xbox and PlayStation it benefits Microsoft doubly compared to Sony.
30million install base versus 60million.

That's a 3x increase versus 1.5x.

Doesn't look like he's calling out Sony here ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

he5iZjA.jpg

Trup1aya

Tim's right about crossplay, but I find it hilarious that he wants to give Sony the benefit of doubt, despite their own comments on the matter. Dude simply hates MS haha.

"Sony is only losing by allowing crossplay. Instead of buying a PS4 to play with your friends, you can buy an Xbox and Sony loses a sale. Good on Sony for sticking to their consumer base."

The flip side of that is, "Sony's stance on crossplay prevents you from playing with your friends who are on other platforms, leaving you know choice but to buy the game on another platform"

This will definately be the case with minecraft.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Having their games available on more store front mean that they can reach more customers potentially and it makes it easier for the consumer to choose where to buy it. It benefits everyone.
I agree, but that's a different discussion. This is about connecting the different platforms that currently have the game together, not about wanting the game to be released on more platforms.

No thank you. I rather not go into an online round of TF2 or BF1 against players using a M&K.

If there's an option to limit cross online play to controllers only then I would fine with it.

Defuser

I bet Sony will only allow crossplay if their PS4 prices are lower than the competitors console and push it as the defacto cheapest console for crossplay. But until then they won't do it.

Trup1aya

No thank you. I rather not go in an online round of TF2 or BF1 against players using a M&K.

If there's an option to limit cross online play to controllers only then I would fine with it.

FPS isn't the only genre. Also PvP isn't the only gametype.

Also, matchmaking can have toggles that allow users to decide what platforms they play against.

It just takes a little common sense and a dev can easily work around your concerns.

Right, I don't get the misunderstanding regarding Sony's motivation. What's the most common suggestion when asked which console to buy, Xbox or PlayStation? "Buy the one where your friends are at"

Synth

Shh, you're distracting from the message. If you continue this, your anti-consumer comment will be noted.

Now everyone repeat after me: Arrogant Sony is back.

Oh stop it...

The PS4+PC scenario has been covered a million times before. It don't mean shit.

Nobody's opposed to cross play, some people are just acknowledging that it would be bad business for Sony to do it. Would be a waste of their massive lead.

Very great to get it though.

The same principal applies to Valve. How many of their games require Steam?
No one said the opposite.

They seem unrelated issues (as someone has said,it isn't the same as different hardware plattorms) but in the end the root cause is the same: money. They all want their exclusive garden walls.

I prefer PlayStation and don't like some of the other platforms so I like to push forward the narrative that Sony is in the right so my perception of reality doesn't shatter.

/s

I don't think Sony can afford to do total cross-play with Xbox consoles simply because it doesn't have a future-proof plan for PlayStation like Microsoft does with Xbox.

So it's playing the game the way it knows how, by offering exclusive content, buying up third party rights to specific content, and pushing back against devs who want to bring other competitors into it's platform.

Sony needs to formulate a future plan for PlayStation as a whole that goes beyond consoles, and they're trying. They're bringing PS Now to PC at the detriment of their own Blu-ray, microconsoles and Bravia TVs.

Hirai and Sony's board will formulate the next mid-year plan during this fiscal year, and that plan will encompass 2-3 years of PS future.

It'll likely more of the same, though.

Trup1aya

Nobody's opposed to cross play, some people are just acknowledging that it would be bad business for Sony to do it. Would be a waste of their massive lead.

Very great to get it though.

The same way it wastes Steam's lead, right?

If your platform is good, you don't have to arbitrarily restrict your customers in order to maintain a lead.

This is a terrible argument- as if crossplay with PS4 is going to drive up demand for Xbox, as if people would suddenly going to forget the Slims value proposition and upcoming Sony exclusives.

Crossplay would be good for Sony and their customers

Deeke[VRZ];241417929 said:
I don't think Sony can afford to do total cross-play with Xbox consoles simply because it doesn't have a future-proof plan for PlayStation like Microsoft does with Xbox.

So it's playing the game the way it knows how, by offering exclusive content, buying up third party rights to specific content, and pushing back against devs who want to bring other competitors into it's platform.

Sony needs to formulate a future plan for PlayStation as a whole that goes beyond consoles, and they're trying. They're bringing PS Now to PC at the detriment of their own Blu-ray, microconsoles and Bravia TVs.

Hirai and Sony's board will formulate the next mid-year plan during this fiscal year, and that plan will encompass 2-3 years of PS future.

It'll likely more of the same, though.

Or they might have a future-proof plan and that's why they don't want to cross-play with Xbox?

Top Bottom