• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Sweeney "All platforms should embrace cross-play; it benefits everyone"

leeh

Man, these crossplay threads are on a loop with how hostile some of you one-dimensional mofos get. So hostile. The hate here is the reason no one gives two shits about crossplay.

But But Minecraft.
But But Rocket League.
But But give me a break.
A lot of people feel strongly around cross-play, if you don't, then why even post in here?

Trup1aya

That's a decent number of games :p

Why doesn't it make any sense? He says Sony have their reasons.

It makes no sense because he says he wants universal crossplay...

Sony having an Epic PC crossplay game does not explain away their opposition to universal crossplay

Considering how you were just talking about the standard responses people give in these crossplay threads, you're really hitting the troll nonsense out of the park.

It's not about whether you play these games or not already, it's who you can play the games with. I already play Minecraft and Rocket League. I'll be able to play them with people on their preferred platform, I'll be able to play it FROM other platforms. It enriches my customer experience and the more games that do it, the better.

For sure. It is known that these are the benefits. And some more.

Question: what platforms do you own?

CookTrain

For sure. It is known that these are the benefits. And some more.

Question: what platforms do you own?

PC, Xbox One, Switch, PS4. That's also pretty much the order of play they get.

For example, now I can consider getting Rocket League on the Switch to play on the go. Same as checking in on a Minecraft server on my phone.

A lot of people feel strongly around cross-play, if you don't, then why even post in here?

This thread is about Tim Sweeney agreeing with you all, and yet the fuck you Tim chants are strong. Not sure if y'all confused or I.

I love crossplay. I'm pro crossplay and I agree with Tim that more platforms needs to embrace it, and its benefits far exceed the hostility.

And it's already a thing between PlayStation and PC as well. Sony doesn't seem to want cross-play with Nintendo and Microsoft.

He's given a reason as to why he's not called out Sony.

That reason being they likely have a deal with Sony on Paragon, and don't want to jeopardize that.

Then why is he making a big deal about cross play between ALL platforms being a good thing? Only Sony is holding that back. Sorry.

He wasn't talking about cross play in general, he was talking about universal cross play. The one company holding that back? Sony!

He isn't.

Sony isn't holding back CP.

That reason being they likely have a deal with Sony on Paragon, and don't want to jeopardize that.

One could assume that.

Feorax

The strongest manufacturer with the most to lose is always going to be the one that holds back cross play.

MS had a few chances to get on board with it with the 360, but we're happy to ignore it and screw everyone else because they had the larger install base. Sony is now in the exact same situation pulling the same dick move.

This will only happen if publishers push it to happen.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
He isn't.

Sony isn't holding back CP.

They're not holding back Cross Play? So Rocket League on PS4 can play with Switch and Xbox One players then? If not, it sure sounds like Sony is the one holding back cross play to me!

The strongest manufacturer with the most to lose is always going to be the one that holds back cross play.

MS had a few chances to get on board with it with the 360, but we're happy to ignore it and screw everyone else because they had the larger install base. Sony is now in the exact same situation pulling the same dick move.

This will only happen if publishers push it to happen.

They didn't totally ignored, they wanted it, but pushing GFWL, so every cross play game would go through them (and was a time they wanted to charge for online play on PC).

Only after that plan didn't worked is that they were against it up until this gen.

And there's more change between then and now than the user base, the company and division are now run by totally different people with very different strategies and goals.

Gestault

Is cross-play between Xbox and PlayStation only currently possible by using Xbox Live accounts?

Surely Sony would hesitate to channel their users to Xbox Live and give Microsoft contact information and usage data. Microsoft could aggressively target these users with ads.

According to what the Rocket League devs have been saying re: their solution, no. Effectively any console game that has cross-play with PC but doesn't require a second account with the other network is evidence that's not a requirement. Psyonix has been open about their efforts an communications behind the scenes. Currently, even a third-party game running on their own dedicated servers can't have cross-play between PSN and Xbox Live because Sony prevents it (and specifically not for technology reasons).

They're not holding back Cross Play? So Rocket League on PS4 can play with Switch and Xbox One players then? If not, it sure sounds like Sony is the one holding back cross play to me!

There's cross play between PlayStation and PC. And also between all other platforms, so how exactly are Sony holding back CP?

Well, what wasn't said is telling. It's strange that he mentioned Nintendo and Sony in a thread about RL and the need for universal crossplay, w/o mentioning MS or the fact that Sony being the only remaining roadblock. He event went out of his way to give Sony the benefit of the doubt in the matter, despite Sony openly providing BS excuses

It was the perfect opportunity for a well respected industry vet to extend some needed criticism, and he decided not to- and he actually has the evidence he needs this time...

I was referring to the post that just says "Tim Sweeney hates MS"

whatever

There's cross play between PlayStation and PC. And also between all other platforms, so how exactly are Sony holding back CP?

Come on dude. You know they wont allow it with Xbox

This would benefit so many multiplayer shooters-- Rainbow 6, Overwatch, Battlefield...

phanphare

Banned
good stuff

the more noise that's made about this the more pressure Sony will feel to change their tune

it's still totally baffling to me that people would even defend Sony's decision here, crossplay would be a huge benefit to everyone

Shrennin

Because Sony prevents cross play with anything but PC? They are the only ones preventing it. Do you think Psyonix would be criticizing Sony if they weren't holding it back?

It's okay to admit Sony is wrong on this. Microsoft has been wrong on things before. This should be an issue all gamers care about.

Crayon

Msdf hates Tim Sweeney. He's right about uwp and he's right about this too.

Edit: "this too" means embracing crossolay. I have to put this disclaimer because some of you are getting so hung up on thinking he's defending Sony and hates Ms.

good stuff

the more noise that's made about this the more pressure Sony will feel to change their tune

it's still totally baffling to me that people would even defend Sony's decision here, crossplay would be a huge benefit to everyone

Keep reading, he isn't calling sony out, only congratulating nintendo for doing it too (Too, because in his eyes Sony already does, as seen by the awesome partnership they have in Paragon)

Because Sony prevents cross play with anything but PC? They are the only ones preventing it. Do you think Psyonix would be criticizing Sony if they weren't holding it back?

It's okay to admit Sony is wrong on this. Microsoft has been wrong on things before. This should be an issue all gamers care about.

I honestly don't think a lot of people care about CP, the petition only solidifies my opinion. This would have been an issue if said games didn't have a healthy community on every platform. Nintendo needs CP, others are good.

He is factually completely and utterly wrong about UWP.

And he defending sony which just so happens to have an exclusive game with him doesn't make for the most compelling argument either.

"All platforms should embrace cross-play; it benefits everyone"

Yeah, but to his eyes Sony already embraces:

he5iZjA.jpg

I'm sure that to him, the more to that story somehow involves something sinister on MS part.

Shrennin

I honestly don't think a lot of people care about CP, the petition only solidifies my opinion. This would have been an issue if said games didn't have a healthy community on every platform. Nintendo needs CP, others are good.

Well, thanks to Sony, PS4 players now enjoy a lesser version of Minecraft! #4theplayers

Minecraft players WILL care about that.

I hope you don't care about general cross play when Sony releases a system that doesn't have the biggest community...

Granjinha

UWP sucks and he is right that it's a piece of shit. He isn't right on this one. "I bet there's more to this story" what a joke

So Tim is making a big deal out of it? And Sony are holding back CP even though they provide an option with PC players?

Of course they are holding back cross-play. Both Minecraft and Rocket League aren't happening because of them. And more on the future, without a doubt.

I guess he is voicing his opinion. By the way, I too couldn't care less about crossplay. Also, it makes absolutely no sense for Sony to share their 60m+ player base with the other two. Ain't gonna happen.

Aren't you embarrassed to post this and actually use it to defend the shitty stance sony has taken on this?

LCGeek

formerly sane
In theory, I agree.

On the other hand, if I'm playing something on Switch, I'd probably rather not be going up against people with $500 keyboard/mouse combos.
Cause it's not like the person advocating for this didn't have a game where people get filtered out out if they have such a desire.

That complaint is useless for saying they should do it when there are easy ways to remedy such a gripe.

d9b

Banned
I guess he is voicing his opinion. By the way, I too couldn't care less about crossplay. Also, it makes absolutely no sense for Sony to share their 60m+ player base with the other two. Ain't gonna happen.

Gestault

[Rainbow 6, Overwatch, Battlefield] Those three games have a healthy community on all the platforms, no?

The reason companies want cross-play is because it expands the communities of every online game. In the most desperate case, that might mean a less popular game being able to get "critical mass" for its community to keep people coming back, and for big titles, it can mean incrementally less wait time in matchmaking because there are more ideal player matches. It's not that people are worried about the most popular titles (which is transparent dodge); every title benefits.

phanphare

Banned
Yeah, but to his eyes Sony already embraces:

he5iZjA.jpg

I'm sure that to him, the more to that story somehow involves something sinister on MS part.

sounds like he's toeing the forward facing PR line with that

I also bet there's more to the story and it's most likely regarding Sony's unwillingness to allow crossplay with MS consoles

The reason companies want cross-play is because it expands the communities of every online game. In the most desperate case, that might mean a less popular game being able to get "critical mass" for its community to keep people coming back, and for big titles, it can mean incrementally less wait time in matchmaking because there are more ideal player matches. It's not that people are worried about the most popular titles (which is transparent dodge); every title benefits.

So how many devs want cross play between all platforms?

No. Minecraft on PS4 isn't getting the Bedrock update because Sony opted out. PS4 players are losing out big without getting that update.

And that's due to their CP policy?

I'd wager anyone who has a platform built on selling cosmetics as the income model does. Overwatch, Rainbow Six and such... I wager those devs are quietly keeping an eye on this very closely.

Let's see where all of this goes.

leeh

How many times do people have to state that the whole "Sony's in the lead with their large playerbase" angle is a load of BS?
This thread is about Tim Sweeney agreeing with you all, and yet the fuck you Tim chants are strong. Not sure if y'all confused or I.

I love crossplay. I'm pro crossplay and I agree with Tim that more platforms needs to embrace it, and its benefits far exceed the hostility.
So if you love it, why post in a thread belittling people for fighting for it?

Gestault

So how many devs want cross play between all platforms?

This question seems rhetorical, but for any dev-side feature, its not a question if every studio is demanding every feature at once; a good platform has those options available.

We know several studios with massive communities are actively interested enough to make public statements requesting it.

Shrennin

And that's due to their CP policy?

Yes. It actually is. Bedrock update is about unifying the player base so everyone can play together (1,000 player world servers, have cross buy DLC, and the new engine to support this with easy updates across all Bedrock systems). It also means they won't get the graphics pack as it's tied to that engine.

Xbox, PC, Switch, and Mobile have the Bedrock update. PS4 is left out due to Sony's CP policy.

Dineren

Banned
Universal crossplay would be so great. I was playing Destiny on PS4 the other day trying to do an old strike for a quest that I've had forever and ended up soloing 90% of it since no one else was currently going for it.

Crossplay can benefit even the largest games that have a wide variety of multiplayer activities. There is literally no downside for the consumer.

d9b

Banned
How many times do people have to state that the whole "Sony's in the lead with their large playerbase" angle is a load of BS?
Why is that BS? What benefit is there for Sony to share their playerbase with Nintendo and Ms?

sikkinixx

I mean... my friend had a PS3 for years then eventually bought an Xbox 360 because he wanted to play COD with the rest of us. Then he decided to get halo and gears etc that he couldn't play before.

Were there cross play, he never would have bought the 360 and the exclusive games. Then he started buying most stuff on Xbox because he had invested in Gold and everything so might as well use it.

That's why I wouldn't do it if I was Sony, especially when most people are playing them multi platform stuff on your system. Why give them the opportunity to say "hey I actually like the Xbox! I should just get stuff here now since I can still play with my PS4 friends".

I'd personally love it, having bought several games on both Xbone and PS4, but I get why they don't.

Gestault

Why is that BS? What benefit is there for Sony to share their playerbase with Nintendo and Ms?

Jesus, d9b. Developers can benefit because their service/economy models benefit with a larger combined pool. Players and devs benefit because even basic features like matchmaking are improved with more players to optimize results, and titles have an easier time reaching the necessary "critical mass" to maintain a player base because the audience isn't artificially split by platform.

The videogame experiences are better, and the business side works better for the people making the games. Any devs who don't want cross play wouldn't be forced to implement it.

Top Bottom