• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Sweeney "All platforms should embrace cross-play; it benefits everyone"

John_B

Is cross-play between Xbox and PlayStation only currently possible by using Xbox Live accounts?

Surely Sony would hesitate to channel their users to Xbox Live and give Microsoft contact information and usage data. Microsoft could aggressively target these users with ads.

If there is a sincere effort it should be an open API that allows true cross-play between PSN accounts and Xbox Live accounts.

Let's throw Blizzard into the mix as well.

Trup1aya

Is cross-play between Xbox and PlayStation only currently possible by using Xbox Live accounts?

Surely Sony would hesitate to channel their users to Xbox Live and give Microsoft contact information and usage data. Microsoft could aggressively target these users with ads.

If there is a sincere effort it should be an open API that allows true cross-play between PSN accounts and Xbox Live accounts.

No. There is one game that requires an Xbox live account and that is minecraft- which is owned by Microsoft.

Rocket League uses its own solution. Final Fantasy uses is own solution.

I doubt the Xbox Live accounts are an issue here. Every dev uses their own solution, why would MS be any different?

Also, there's no increased threat of MS targeting users with ads. It's a free account that can be setup with unverified email accounts. I've got like 6 free xbl accounts all with randomly generated MS emails

All Sony has to do is allow PSN users the option to connect with 3rd party networks that meet Sony's security requirements. According to Psyonics MS security requirements exceed all other networks, so there should be no holdup...

Mr Moose

With Minecraft, yes.

MUnited83

For you.

No. Rocket League doesn't require a XBL account, and they already have everything ready to go, they literally only need Sony's permission to enable it.

Doesn't look like he's calling out Sony here ¯_(ツ)_/¯

he5iZjA.jpg
Sony is fine with crossplay as long as Xbox or Nintendo aren't involved

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Try to launch Paragon with crossplay on Switch or Xbox, Tim.

Yep. It's unfortunate that he won't actually take a stance. He said he's happy that Rocket League is cross play on Switch... well, why is it not on PS4? Not Sony's fault? Of course it isn't! :/

Trup1aya

Yep. It's unfortunate that he won't actually take a stance. He said he's happy that Rocket League is cross play on Switch... well, why is it not on PS4? Not Sony's fault? Of course it isn't! :/

He won't take a stance that makes MS look good.

Rocket League includes cross-play on the PS4 as well, albeit only between PS4 and PC.

LordRaptor

This topic is amazing, the way it goes from "Yup, dudes correct", to "Oh, he's not calling out Sony explicitly? Fuck that guy, he just hates MS"

Shrennin

Rocket League includes cross-play on the PS4 as well, albeit only between PS4 and PC.

I know. He was talking about cross play between ALL platforms. PS4 is the only version of Rocket League where that isn't the case. Sony is quite literally the one holding back full cross play from that title and yet he doesn't want to admit it's Sony holding it back. The developers of Rocket League called out Sony lol

Trup1aya

This topic is amazing, the way it goes from "Yup, dudes correct", to "Oh, he's not calling out Sony explicitly? Fuck that guy, he just hates MS"

In a comment about Rocket League crossplay, and the need for crossplay to be universal, he declines to note that Sony IS infact the hold out. Why? Because they have PC crossplay with his game?

gimme a break

He's never been one to decline to extend criticism... so this one is glaring.

Nerix

The problem with cross-play is, that there is no cross platform matchmaking with specific players. I tried it with RockeLeague - a friend has the PC version (me PS4) and it's not possible to create a lobby where you can play online matches together.

So cross-play in theory is great, but when you're only able to play with randoms, it's much less so. Normally you have enough randoms to play with on each platform.

CookTrain

The problem with cross-play is, that there is no cross platform matchmaking with specific players. I tried it with RockeLeague - a friend has the PC version (me PS4) and it's not possible to create a lobby where you can play online matches together.

So cross-play in theory is great, but when you're only able to play with randoms, it's much less so. Normally you have enough randoms to play with on each platform.

That's just one implementation, an early one given the scope of platforms we're now seeing as well. As this situation matures, those are problems that can be resolved.

Trup1aya

Well, you can have private games in RL currently.

Beyond that, There's really no point in developing a lobby system until it works across all supported platforms. It would take a bit of engineering work which would have been a waste prior to today with so few crossplay games to take advantage of it.

What happens in a RL lobby if a PSN player gets invited to join a PC players lobby that has Switch and Xbl players in it? It's messy.

It looks like Minecraft will remedy that issue by having everyone tie into same network.

Nesther

Yeah, but not with all games. Enabling all consoles and PCs to play stuff like RL, Minecraft, Monster Hunter and MMOs is great.

I wouldnt wan't that with stuff like Overwatch, CS, UT, Lawbreakers etc. Having PS4 or Switch users face off against PC users just wouldn't be fair.

I know. He was talking about cross play between ALL platforms. PS4 is the only version of Rocket League where that isn't the case. Sony is quite literally the one holding back full cross play from that title and yet he doesn't want to admit it's Sony holding it back. The developers of Rocket League called out Sony lol

I don't think we'll ever see full cross-play between PS4 and competing platforms.

Shrennin

I don't think we'll ever see full cross-play between PS4 and competing platforms.

Which is why Sweeney should have called out Sony as they are the ones holding it back. It's already a thing between Xbox, Switch, and PC.

ezodagrom

Normally you have enough randoms to play with on each platform.
That's true for Rocket League, but games with alot less players could really benefit from crossplay even if it's just matchmaking.
(Though probably Rocket League is the way it is because there's no crossplay between PS4 and XBox One/Switch, I don't think there would be anything stopping partying with players from other platforms if PS4 could crossplay with XB1/Switch, the game would probably need its own in-game friend system for players of other platforms though).

Trup1aya

Yeah, but not with all games. Enabling all consoles and PCs to play stuff like RL, Minecraft, Monster Hunter and MMOs is great.

I wouldnt wan't that with stuff like Overwatch, CS, UT, Lawbreakers etc. Having PS4 or Switch users face off against PC users just wouldn't be fair.

Just let users toggle who they matchmake with, like RL does.

Beyond that, Not every PC user uses kb/m. presumably those players would be low enough in the rankings to be properly matched against console players.

amdb00mer

I don't think he's read protect the kids comment. I do find it funny he doesn't mention MC which is like the super star for cross play. Ain't giving MS props anytime soon.

Tim's right about crossplay, but I find it hilarious that he wants to give Sony the benefit of doubt, despite their own comments on the matter. Dude simply hates MS haha.

The flip side of that is, "Sony's stance on crossplay prevents you from playing with your friends who are on other platforms, leaving you know choice but to buy the game on another platform"

This will definately be the case with minecraft.

I was about to say I'm surprised this isn't blaming/ranting about Microsoft somehow

Good to see Tim isn't changing his ways

I was surprised as well. He thinks MS is the devil. I think MS started out with the cross-platform play as a way to hold a feature over Sony's head, but now I think they really see the value in it. I just hope when KI releases for Steam later this year it will allow play between Windows 10 store, Xbox One, and Steam users. No reason it shouldn't.

Citing Epic's business decisions as a counter point to Tim's personal tweets is not really the way to go. He is just one person within Epic.

Trup1aya

That would be great, if possible.

Against bots (or local players) :/

In private matches you can set up a server name and password- which allows people from different platforms to join.

I have no clue what happens when PSN and xbl players try to joint the same Private server [edit: it gives a server error message to whoever tries to join last. I'm sure there's more to the story though :) ]

test_account

XP-39C²
I agree, but that's a different discussion. This is about connecting the different platforms that currently have the game together, not about wanting the game to be released on more platforms.
Sure, i know, just saying that it could be applied there as well :) I'm not trying to argue against cross play.

meirl

Banned

Big fat NO.

There is A SINGLE game and thats MINECRAFT. that needs this. also, its a MICROSOFT game. this is NOT the rule, its an exception.

so, now what? its Not needed. there goes the Rest of your Argument.

Which is why Sweeney should have called out Sony as they are the ones holding it back. It's already a thing between Xbox, Switch, and PC.

And it's already a thing between PlayStation and PC as well. Sony doesn't seem to want cross-play with Nintendo and Microsoft.

He's given a reason as to why he's not called out Sony.

Big fat NO.

There is A SINGLE game and thats MINECRAFT. that needs this. also, its a MICROSOFT game. this is NOT the rule, its an exception.

so, now what? its Not needed. there goes the Rest of your Argument.

Man, these crossplay threads are on a loop with how hostile some of you one-dimensional mofos get. So hostile. The hate here is the reason no one gives two shits about crossplay.

But But Minecraft.
But But Rocket League.
But But give me a break.

Trup1aya

ya gotta love the post about MS when Tim does not mention MS.

Well, what wasn't said is telling. It's strange that he mentioned Nintendo and Sony in a thread about RL and the need for universal crossplay, w/o mentioning MS or the fact that Sony being the only remaining roadblock. He event went out of his way to give Sony the benefit of the doubt in the matter, despite Sony openly providing BS excuses

It was the perfect opportunity for a well respected industry vet to extend some needed criticism, and he decided not to- and he actually has the evidence he needs this time...

CookTrain

Man, these crossplay titles are on a loop with how hostile some of you mofos get. So hostile. The hate here is the reason no one gives two shots about crossplay.

Fortunately once the benefits of it become demonstrably clearer in a few months, a few irate internet goers won't make much difference.

I hope, anyways.

Man, these crossplay threads are on a loop with how hostile some of you one-dimensional mofos get. So hostile. The hate here is the reason no one gives two shots about crossplay.

But But Minecraft.
But But Rocket League.
But But give me a break.

How many games do cross-play between Switch/Xbox and PC besides MC and RL?

Trup1aya

And it's already a thing between PlayStation and PC as well. Sony doesn't seem to want cross-play with Nintendo and Microsoft.

No he hasn't.

He said he want universal crossplay, but gives Sony a pass because they crossplay exclusively with PC... makes no sense...

Experien

Sure, cross-play everywhere but can we get a filter so we can exclude PC players. I am not the best at online multiplayer and I don't need some PC elitist ruining my fun.

If not, I could see this going the route of online chat in the sense that less people will not want to play with randoms who have keyboard advantage. I got a console to play casually on my couch, that's what I want. This might be an exaggeration but I see a possibility of it going poorly.

CookTrain

Worst, none of you will play Minecraft and Rocket League if you're not playing it already.

No crossplay is going to change your mind about these titles.

Considering how you were just talking about the standard responses people give in these crossplay threads, you're really hitting the troll nonsense out of the park.

It's not about whether this will get you to play these games or not already, it's who you can play the games with. I already play Minecraft and Rocket League. I'll be able to play them with people on their preferred platform, I'll be able to play it FROM other platforms. It enriches my customer experience and the more games that do it, the better.

Shrennin

Then why is he making a big deal about cross play between ALL platforms being a good thing? Only Sony is holding that back. Sorry.

He wasn't talking about cross play in general, he was talking about universal cross play. The one company holding that back? Sony!

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Sure, cross-play everywhere but can we get a filter so we can exclude PC players. I am not the best at online multiplayer and I don't need some PC elitist ruining my fun.

If not, I could see this going the route of online chat in the sense that less people will not want to play with randoms who have keyboard advantage. I got a console to play casually on my couch, that's what I want. This might be an exaggeration but I see a possibility of it going poorly.

you'd be match-made with the rest of the average pad players and the absolutely wank tier mouse and keyboard players. right where you belong.

Top Bottom