• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump praises health care of Nambia, a nonexistent African country

Saya

Link

President Donald Trump lavished praise on the health care system of Nambia during a speech at the United Nations. But there's one little problem -- there's no such country.

"In Guinea and Nigeria, you fought a horrifying Ebola outbreak," Trump told African leaders gathered Wednesday. "Nambia's health system is increasingly self-sufficient."

Trump mentioned Nambia twice during the session attended by leaders of several nations, including Ghana, Namibia and Uganda.

The gaffe lit up social media, with many speculating whether he meant Namibia, Zambia or Gambia, all of which have names that sound similar.

The White House later clarified that Trump was talking about the southwestern African nation of Namibia. Namibia dodged the Ebola outbreak that killed thousands in Africa two years ago and affected several nations, including the United States.

At the time, Namibia revamped its health care system to ward off an Ebola outbreak and treat sudden infections.

This is a silly thing to poke fun of in a speech where he also said that he thought Africa was doing really well because of how many of his friends want to go to their countries to get rich.

RinsFury

We're living in an age where the White House has to come out with an interpretation of the words of the moron in charge.

knitoe

For a guy that misspell constantly, it's not surprising he can't read a transcript correctly either. I wish I had a rich dad then I can be President.

Kenstar

Zamunda is nice and all but Zawarudo is so beautiful , like a country frozen in time
sucks it borders Oraora and Mudamuda who are always fighting each other, just stay away from the borders and you'll have a blast

Xe4

Banned
I mean, it's funny, but I'm not going to hold it against him. People, even the POTUS will slip up during a speech. It's clear it was just a small pronunciation error.

His advisors probably just make up a bunch of fake countries all the time so that he doesn't bomb a real one in a fit of rage.

"- Someone made fun of your hair on twitter mister President? Probably one of those Latverian terrorists."

Top Bottom