• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump praises health care of Nambia, a nonexistent African country

MUnited83

For you.
I mean, mistake aside, praising a healthcare system known as not affordable for poor people is certainly something I expect from Trump.

How does the White house know he meant Namibia. Seems just as likely he meant what he said.

The POTUS doesn't just hit the podium and start speaking off the cuff. A member of the White House staff wrote the speech. It's entirely possible that the "i" got dropped when the speech got loaded into the teleprompter, or it may just be that Trump didn't see the "i" when reading it back.

This is more like a technical gaffe than anything truly dastardly. We've got plenty of real, dark shit to discuss when it comes to Trump. This isn't really on the list.

Maddness

I dunno, I wouldn't mention Wakanda to him at all. He'd probably want to build a trump tower there so he could get in on the vibranium train.

Harmen

This is nothing, he just messed up the name of a country (he probably knows nothing about). There is a vast amount of extremely worrying facts about Trump and he spouts dangerous ideas and lies just about every day, but this doesn't really concern me at all in the realm of Trump fuckups.

Slayven

DKL1tsnXkAEAz3s.jpg

daveo42

Banned
He only missed 1 letter, I've seen a lot worse.

He's in a position that was once listed as "Leader of the Free World" just last year. Maybe standards have slipped a bit since Trump was elected. I will say that he's doing a fine job representing a portion of the United States by showing he has zero knowledge regarding the African continent.

TarNaru33

Banned
He's the president addressing world leaders

Still not a big deal in my book, most Presidents probably themselves don't/didn't know Namibia existed until it came under their strategic aims/interest. Do not give the people who claim anything Trump does would get negative flak the satisfaction.

Non-issue.

He's in a position that was once listed as "Leader of the Free World" just last year. Maybe standards have slipped a bit since Trump was elected. I will say that he's doing a fine job representing a portion of the United States by showing he has zero knowledge regarding the African continent.

Yeah let's focus on this silly little gaffe instead of talking about how he said he would blow up North Korea or how his friends use Africa to get rich.

Surfinn

The title of the CNN article is pretty clicky/misleading. So the dude mispronounced the country. He wasn't talking about a nonexistent place.

Look I'm all for dumping on Trump but this is the kinda shit that doesn't help anyone. Unless there's actually more to the story than him simply mispronouncing the country's name he was referring to.

I was expecting this to actually be Trump making shit up, again

Lol.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Oh, not saying he knows shit about anything, only that this isn't even worth caring about.

There's probably a lengthy list of European countries he could have made this same flub with that will garner more reaction and occupy the public conscious for far longer than this ever will. I'm surprised that anything about Africa even made a blip to be honest.

Part of me wants to give trump some cyanic-laced-props for even speaking to anything African in spite of his... beliefs. It especially conjures up the Chappelle joke of Bush trying to kiss a African baby. I think surely the moment of Trumps pivot is upon us.

Dr.Acula

Banned
This isn't like Iraq, "eye-rock" "ee-rock," or Qatar "ka-tar" "cutter." There's no alternative pronunciation to Namibia as "Nambia." Trump spoke aloud the name of a country he should have known doesn't exist.

I dunno about other people, but personally, my standard for the POTUS is that they know if a country in a speech they are given exists or not. It would be like him saying Czechoslovakia or Bombay (at least those were real places once).

The lowering of the bar for Trump is disgusting. He's bad and the country deserves better.

This isn't like Iraq, "eye-rock" "ee-rock," or Qatar "ka-tar" "cutter." There's no alternative pronunciation to Namibia as "Nambia." Trump spoke aloud the name of a country he should have known doesn't exist.

I dunno about other people, but personally, my standard for the POTUS is that they know if a country in a speech they are given exists or not. It would be like him saying Czechoslovakia or Bombay (at least those were real places once).

The lowering of the bar for Trump is disgusting. He's bad and the country deserves better.

No its really not. It's leaving off one letter in a word. It would be like him calling Germany "German" or Spain "Span". The bar isn't lowered, its about priorities. He does tons of horrible shit, we shouldn't waste precious space with this dumb gaffes like this, it should be focused on the worst shit he does.

Dr.Acula

Banned
No its really not. It's leaving off one letter in a word. It would be like him calling Germany "German" or Spain "Span". The bar isn't lowered, its about priorities. He does tons of horrible shit, we shouldn't waste precious space with this dumb gaffes like this, it should be focused on the worst shit he does.

If the dude said "Span" twice, I'd be like, "he actually doesn't know Spain and is winging it." Because, come on.

It's a gaffe, but it strikes me as one that stems from an ignorance of Africa that's acceptable in a real-esate mogul or reality TV star, but that's beneath a president. If he said it once, okay, that's mispeaking, but saying it twice means he's saying it wrong, which is different than simply mispronouncing it.

Surfinn

Well the mistake should still obviously be recognized but CNN leading with TRUMP TALKS ABOUT NON-EXISTENT COUNTRY is bullshit.

The point is that he's an unqualified doofus who doesn't know jack shit about anything, which should be pointed out at every opportunity.

Someone should really ask him about Zamunda though. I wanna hear his thoughts.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
This. Making a big deal out of things like this delegitimises opposition when he’s actually done something bad.

He did actually do something bad here though. The argument you are making is that he's done so many worst things that people should overlook the "small" stuff and go after the big fish. It's this sort of attitude that leads to desensitization on his bullshit.

If the dude said "Span" twice, I'd be like, "he actually doesn't know Spain and is winging it." Because, come on.

Dude reads off a teleprompter, either he misread it or the letter was missing. He didn't make up a country on the fly which is what the CNN article implies for who knows what reason.

Oriel

Alternative title

Trump mispronounced Namibia

Yeah... .I mean, he's still a dumb fuck but there's far worse things to be getting upset about right now, such as his cabinet officials taking the piss with private jets and such.

As petty as the 50 states slip up by Obama tbh.

One is a person who actually knows there's not 57 states and slipped, the other is an unqualified windbag who's actually really fucking stupid who can't stop letting the world know about it.

So, no, that's actually bad comparison tbh.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
How long do you think it'll be before someone tricks him into mentioning "Kekistan" as a real place?

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Not surprising coming from the man who thinks Obama was born in Kanye.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Has Trump mispronunced Niger yet

Laughing at the idea of him saying "watch the fake news politically correct media not air this" right before he reads it off the prompter.

*Awkwardest pause for applause in political history*

Top Bottom