• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hiking Gaf - "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex117

Banned
"If adventure has a final and all-embracing motive, it is surely this: we go out because it is our nature to go out, to climb mountains, and to paddle rivers, to fly to the planets and plunge into the depths of the oceans... When man ceases to do these things, he is no longer man."
-- Wilfrid Noyce

Did a search and didn't see any Hiking Gaf threads.

Post where you are headed or where you like to go.

Post your favorite gear and/or give reviews.

Post some pics.

Post some great experiences.

Ask advice for certain hikes...

Im hiking The Narrows, Zion National Park, Utah
IMG_1750.JPG

parunarrows1.jpg

narrows2.jpg

As for me, Im going 16 miles through the above in one day. Any advice on how much water I should bring?

Anybody hiked it before?

Also doing Angels Landing.
angels-landing-trail.jpg

3779021487_a0dceb666d.jpg

I haven't done the Narrows yet, but I have been to Zion and it is awesome. I will go back to Utah one day just for the Narrows. Not anytime soon though.

My favorite trail that I have hiked is Panorama Trail in Yosemite, it is amazing and I will post pics later on. I regularly hike 10-15 miles each weekend at a local regional park and love every step. Hiking and backpacking are my favorite activities and I can't get enough.

I just got back from Arcata, CA a few days back and went on a few short hikes up there as well. Fern Canyon was beautiful and the short trip to Trilliam falls was also really nice. As far as gear, get a good pair of shoes and a camelbak and you are good to go.

My next backpacking trip will be at the end of this month and I will be going on the Ten Lakes trail in Yosemite.

It's a dream of mine to get out and actually spend a few days on a trail, then gradually ramp it up to a week, then longer, and eventually just do the whole damned Appalachian.

Pipe dream, I know.

Kudos for starting this thread. I'm subscribing, as it's one helluva hobby.

It's something that I would love to get back into, but unfortunately my group has kind of fallen apart. I have hiked Bryce, Zion, Canyonlands, and Arches, but my favorite is the Enchantments in Washington. Will definately be checking back into this thread.

Tex117

Banned
I haven't done the Narrows yet, but I have been to Zion and it is awesome. I will go back to Utah one day just for the Narrows. Not anytime soon though.

My favorite trail that I have hiked is Panorama Trail in Yosemite, it is amazing and I will post pics later on. I regularly hike 10-15 miles each weekend at a local regional park and love every step. Hiking and backpacking are my favorite activities and I can't get enough.

I just got back from Arcata, CA a few days back and went on a few short hikes up there as well. Fern Canyon was beautiful and the short trip to Trilliam falls was also really nice. As far as gear, get a good pair of shoes and a camelbak and you are good to go.

My next backpacking trip will be at the end of this month and I will be going on the Ten Lakes trail in Yosemite.

Please post pics of the Panorama Trail and any other.

Ill post pics of my Narrows trip and Angels Landing when I get back. Getting the permits out there is such a freakin hassle.

Tex117

Banned
It's a dream of mine to get out and actually spend a few days on a trail, then gradually ramp it up to a week, then longer, and eventually just do the whole damned Appalachian.

Pipe dream, I know.

Kudos for starting this thread. I'm subscribing, as it's one helluva hobby.

Applation trail takes like a month right?

My pipe dream is to the to two week hike in Nepal to Everst base camp.

OR, the hike up Killamangaro (sp).

Tex117

Banned
It's something that I would love to get back into, but unfortunately my group has kind of fallen apart. I have hiked Bryce, Zion, Canyonlands, and Arches, but my favorite is the Enchantments in Washington. Will definately be checking back into this thread.

POST PICS!

I live in orange County and in March i hiked 20+miles, took us 8 hours total. Then in April i hiked the tallest peak in about 8 hours total (about 18 miles). Shit was intense!! I thought i was being chased by a mountain lion and used up all my water on the way up. at the peaks of both hikes we had lunch then just started heading back. Saw snow in the trail both times. Good times. Kinda wanna do it again soon. I can post picks if you guys are interested.

Tex117

Banned
I live in orange County and in March i hiked 20+miles, took us 8 hours total. Then in April i hiked the tallest peak in about 8 hours total (about 18 miles). Shit was intense!! I thought i was being chased by a mountain lion and used up all my water on the way up. at the peaks of both hikes we had lunch then just started heading back. Saw snow in the trail both times. Good times. Kinda wanna do it again soon. I can post picks if you guys are interested.

Im hoping this thread turns into a braggin thread...In other words POST PICS and make us jealous.

The tallest peak where? In California? MOunt Whitney? I tried to get a permit for mount whitney, but got shut out at the lottery phase.

If you're looking for a pretty awesome trail in Yosemite that's away from the crowds, check out the Grand Canyon of the Tuolomne. It's 30 miles so you'll have to hike a few days worth of food in, but you're near the water the whole time so you won't need to hike that in, amazing views of waterfalls and the river, and miles and miles of solace. You also end up in Tuolomne Meadows, which is a high alpine meadow. One of my favorite hikes of all time.

Applation trail takes like a month right?

My pipe dream is to the to two week hike in Nepal to Everst base camp.

OR, the hike up Killamangaro (sp).

Definitely do Kili. I did it a few years ago and it was the experience of a lifetime.

Im hoping this thread turns into a braggin thread...In other words POST PICS and make us jealous.

The tallest peak where? In California? MOunt Whitney? I tried to get a permit for mount whitney, but got shut out at the lottery phase.

You can still do Whitney in the summer/fall, you just can't camp overnight. Or wait until November when the lottery permits aren't required (though you're dealing with cold/snow then).

I did a day trip to Mount Monadnock, NH with a friend a few months ago. Made me realize how hard I have neglected cardio outside of the IM basketball season. Oh god the fatigue.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
My friend and I are going to start hiking regularly. Our first destination is a trail southwest of Boise that takes you along the Snake River. There are a bunch of Native American petroglyphs along the trail.
EF5bF.jpg

I ordered in an Alpine Explorer Camelbak and some Merrell Solo Origins.
S4xnI.jpg

bEpBk.jpg

I can't wait. The pack came today and the shoes come on Monday.

Tex117

Banned
Definitely do Kili. I did it a few years ago and it was the experience of a lifetime.
Two weeks right? How did you do with the altitude?

You can still do Whitney in the summer/fall, you just can't camp overnight. Or wait until November when the lottery permits aren't required (though you're dealing with cold/snow then).
You still need a day permit of which I got shut out.

I would love to deal with the snow and cold, but Im not experienced enough to tackle that just yet.

I love hiking Half Dome at Yosemite National Park... It's a damn shame they've butchered the experience recently by forcing hikers to get a permit (unless you are one of the early birds who signs up months in advance before the tickets are out), which is lottery based and forces you to go within 48 hours if selected. :/

CA is good at ruining great things.

800px-Sunset_Half_Dome_Lodge.jpg

800px-Half_Dome10.jpg

800px-Half_Dome--cables.jpeg

461px-Half_Dome_081972.jpg

Mist trail up Vernal Falls in Yosemite is my all time favorite. Misty when you go up, so it's not hot and views of other falls.

wDZyT.jpg

lLT9V.jpg

LWBYj.jpg

ttBI7.jpg

nJ5WZ.jpg

Been doin' it since I was a kid

Cihva.jpg

Two weeks right? How did you do with the altitude?

It's only 6 days up and down the mountain, but many people tack on safari at the end since you're flying all the way to Tanzania, and that extends it to a 2 week trip. That's what I did, it was awesome. Technically you can do the mountain in 5 days, but it's not advised because of the potential for altitude sickness. Failure rate is pretty high on the 5 day attempt.

I definitely had headaches above ~15k ft and didn't have much of an appetite. You also get out of breath really fast at that height, so running around isn't advisable. Sleeping on the last night at 15k was a chore, and I felt like I was running a marathon on summit day with all my heavy breathing because of thin air, but it was doable. I trained pretty hard for it though - lifting, stair work, lots of running, so my cardio was good. That's really all you can do to train for a 19k ft+ peak short of doing other high peaks beforehand. Everyone acclimatizes differently too - one woman in my group couldn't go higher than 12.5k and had to descend because she was hyperventilating. The altitude definitely throws an interesting wrinkle into the challenge.

Tex117

Banned
It's only 6 days up and down the mountain, but many people tack on safari at the end since you're flying all the way to Tanzania, and that extends it to a 2 week trip. That's what I did, it was awesome. Technically you can do the mountain in 5 days, but it's not advised because of the potential for altitude sickness. Failure rate is pretty high on the 5 day attempt.

I definitely had headaches above ~15k ft and didn't have much of an appetite. You also get out of breath really fast at that height, so running around isn't advisable. Sleeping on the last night at 15k was a chore, and I felt like I was running a marathon on summit day with all my heavy breathing because of thin air, but it was doable. I trained pretty hard for it though - lifting, stair work, lots of running, so my cardio was good. That's really all you can do to train for a 19k ft+ peak short of doing other high peaks beforehand. Everyone acclimatizes differently too - one woman in my group couldn't go higher than 12.5k and had to descend because she was hyperventilating. The altitude definitely throws an interesting wrinkle into the challenge.

It most certainly does. Good point about the Safari. I will have to find two weeks.

Devolution...Good pics!!!!!!! Yosemite is very high on my US trips.

It most certainly does. Good point about the Safari. I will have to find two weeks.

Devolution...Good pics!!!!!!! Yosemite is very high on my US trips.

If you're really into hiking you should definitely do Half Dome, I haven't yet because I feel like I'd actually need to get back into hiking regularly before I try it. Even Vernal back in '10 tired me out since it's such a steep climb in elevation.

Tex117

Banned
If you're really into hiking you should definitely do Half Dome, I haven't yet because I feel like I'd actually need to get back into hiking regularly before I try it. Even Vernal back in '10 tired me out since it's such a steep climb in elevation.

The permits thing really rain on the parade as well, but if I go to Yosemite, it will be for the half dome hike.

The permits thing really rain on the parade as well, but if I go to Yosemite, it will be for the half dome hike.

Ugh I totally forgot about that. It's because idiots ruin everything though and insist on doing dumb shit. It's nature assholes there are no safety nets.

Natetan

Awesome thread idea! I'm a big hiker.

My favorite hikes have been

Kita dake

Tsubakuro ridge area (beautiful view of hotaka dake)

Scafell pike

Mt Blanc

I'll be doing Ben Nevis later this month.

I'll also be doing the oxfam trail walker in northern ireland after that. Anyone done those? They can be a bit intense but fun event to as a team!

I also enjoy the white mountains. Yeah it's not super tall but it is beautiful

Ugh I totally forgot about that. It's because idiots ruin everything though and insist on doing dumb shit. It's nature assholes there are no safety nets.

the permits are actually to help maintain and patrol this part, since it began getting really crowded during peak times.

HalfDomeTraffic.jpeg

Yup...there has to be some way to get permits in advance right?

you have to be ahead of the game and sign up for them when they release the next batch. Or else, you have to take part in the lottery, which gives you like a 20% chance of getting chosen, and if you are chosen, you have to go within a day or two.

you have to be ahead of the game and sign up for them when they release the next batch. Or else, you have to take part in the lottery, which gives you like a 20% chance of getting chosen, and if you are chosen, you have to go within a day or two.

Do they also check the permits at night? I hiked Half Dome back in 2009 before the permit system so I wasn't sure if they now have a ranger at the base of the cables checking or if it was one of those "if you don't have a permit when we find you we kick you off the trail and give you a nice fine". If its the latter then I'd imagine in the evening or at night your chances of getting tagged by a ranger are pretty slim.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm glad this thread started!

First of all -

bEpBk.jpg

holy shit must have.

Last weekend I did the Paradise -> Muir hike on Rainier. Such a gorgeous day. Wildflowers were in bloom as well!

paradise+mount+rainier+HD+wallpapers+HD+HD+Wallpaper.jpg

Going up to Sheep's lake for some overnight backpacking next weekend.

There has to be some more Western Washington hikers on GAF.

Do they also check the permits at night? I hiked Half Dome back in 2009 before the permit system so I wasn't sure if they now have a ranger at the base of the cables checking or if it was one of those "if you don't have a permit when we find you we kick you off the trail and give you a nice fine". If its the latter then I'd imagine in the evening or at night your chances of getting tagged by a ranger are pretty slim.

I haven't gone back since the permits either so I have no idea. I wouldn't risk it though. It would suck to have completed 99% of the hike, and be turned away at the best part.

dubc35

There has to be some more Western Washington hikers on GAF.
I'm in W-WA. I used to hike 2-3 times a week. Then I started grad school and then I got married. Zero time now. 3 fingers is one of my favorite hikes. The Copper Ridge trail in the N Cascades NP is great too. We planned on heading back to climb Ruth Mt but never did.

I'm a big hiker as well and have been fortunate enough to have hiked, trekked, or backpacked all over the world. I'm also lucky enough to be an outdoor/adventure travel blogger, so I get far more gear than I know what to do with for free. It's both a blessing and a curse! ;)

I did Kilimanjaro a few years back and had a great time as well. It is an amazing hike to say the least. I agree that it's best to spend an extra week to go on safari while you are there. I loved the Serengeti so much I'm taking my girlfriend there at the end of the year.

Oh and hear's a pic of me at the end of another memorable hike. Everest Base Camp.

DSC_0276.JPG

POST PICS!

Unfortunately,that was quite a few years back, and I didn't own a digital camera at the time. Not sure if it's worth it to hook up the scanner just for some blurry photos. I will try and dig through and find some pics of when I did the first stage of the Aconcagua last year.

Bealost

I've been hiking a lot lately locally (MA) and in NH a bunch. Been slowly creeping up on my NH 48 4000 footers. I'm up to eleven. Been talking about going to places like Zion (my gf is there now, I'm jealous), bryce, Arches, Yosemite etc, etc, need to just plan a trip already. I just spent 4 days doing about 30 miles through the white mountains, best vacation of my life.

Me at Greenleaf hut last Tuesday(?) night.

prof.jpeg

A sunset we managed to find while we were up there. (quoted for scaling)

EDIT::

I know it's been a dry season but there's no snow on Rainier this year!

I made this just for you. Going to have to re-host it yourself though ;)

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I've really gotten into hiking lately. Not too long ago I did Breakneck Ridge in NY, which is probably the toughest climb in the state I hear.

ibakyY2g8ym1Jd.jpg

A few days ago I hiked Bear Mountain.

I've seen tons of cool shit: old ruins, spooky abandoned buildings, vacant mines, caves, to name a few.

Both hikes took me about 8 hours each to complete.

Leaving for Colorado today, which is like the hiking mecca. Can't wait to see what's in store for me. I'll be visiting Fort Collins, Boulder, and Colorado Springs. Thinking about doing Horsetooth Mountain and Mount Blodgett.

Found this thread through the other one, so this might be the place to ask.

Has anybody here done any hikes around the Blue Ridge parkway in NC? Of not, any hikes of good waterfalls around NC and West Virginia?

Looking for somewhere to go this weekend!

jergrah

I go pretty often -- live in Seattle. Last two weekends have been spent getting everything in at Mount Pilchuck. Did the hike to the top, Lake 22 and Pinnacle Lake. Out of town for work this weekend but I'll be back hiking next weekend.

I hate designated trails like that. Especially when they literally put man made railings and handles and shit in there. It completely ruins the fun of hiking.

I've really gotten into hiking lately. Not too long ago I did Breakneck Ridge in NY, which is probably the toughest climb in the state I hear.

A few days ago I hiked Bear Mountain.

I've seen tons of cool shit: old ruins, spooky abandoned buildings, vacant mines, caves, to name a few.

Both hikes took me about 8 hours each to complete.

Leaving for Colorado today, which is like the hiking mecca. Can't wait to see what's in store for me. I'll be visiting Fort Collins, Boulder, and Colorado Springs. Thinking about doing Horsetooth Mountain and Mount Blodgett.

Across the river from Breakneck is Storm King. Similar stellar views but not nearly as tough a hike as Breakneck - you can do it in an hour or 2. Breakneck is definitely more fun.

If you like to bike, Storm King Highway is closed on Sundays until November, so you can bike along the Hudson cliffs right by the water.

Colorado is pretty amazing, though the peaks out there make Breakneck seem like an anthill. If you get a chance to tag some 14'ers definitely go for it.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Across the river from Breakneck is Storm King. Similar stellar views but not nearly as tough a hike as Breakneck - you can do it in an hour or 2. Breakneck is definitely more fun.

If you like to bike, Storm King Highway is closed on Sundays until November, so you can bike along the Hudson cliffs right by the water.

Colorado is pretty amazing, though the peaks out there make Breakneck seem like an anthill. If you get a chance to tag some 14'ers definitely go for it.

Any 14'ers nearby the cities I mentioned?

Keep in mind, I have no real hiking equipment. Just my phone, backpack, and a pair of sweats. Literally what I look like in that photo. Should I attempt a 14'er without real gear?

I'm glad this thread started!

Last weekend I did the Paradise -> Muir hike on Rainier. Such a gorgeous day. Wildflowers were in bloom as well!

Gorgeous shot! I did Rainier and Olympic last week as well. I was completely blown away by the the beauty of the places. Surpassed all my expectations.

Any 14'ers nearby the cities I mentioned?

Keep in mind, I have no real hiking equipment. Just my phone, backpack, and a pair of sweats. Literally what I look like in that photo. Should I attempt a 14'er without real gear?

Most of the routes are non-technical, so yes all you need is a backpack, some food/water, and a rough idea of the trail direction and you'll be fine. You can find trail info online or grab a book if want to be super safe. "Colorado's Fourteeners" is a good reference book. The trails are clearly marked, and the peaks you'd be near are decently busy, so just follow other groups if you're unsure of a turn. Normally I'd advise against trusting others in the woods for directions, but the trails are pretty clearly marked and the peaks near where you'll be are popular, so it's hard to get lost.

Obviously if you have things like trekking poles and hiking shoes it makes life easier, but they aren't necessary. When I was last out there I saw a few guys running up the trails with only a water bottle, shorts, and running shoes. They said they were trying to run from the trailhead to the summit of all the 14ers. Pretty hardcore.

One catch, however, is you need to start out early - like 6am. You want to be off the top of the peak by 12-1pm because almost like clockwork there will be an afternoon storm rumbling through around that time. You want to try to be near the treeline when that occurs - being exposed when lighting comes through is a scary scenario. I'm not sure if that timing works for you for your trip, but if you can make it happen it will be worth it.

As for the peaks in the area, you've got Pikes near Colorado Springs and Longs near Boulder/Ft Collins. I haven't done either but Pikes is pretty famous (there's a road to the top) and Longs is very popular. There are also tons of 13ers and 12ers too - ask around the towns when you get there and I'm sure the locals will be more than happy to direct you to their favorite trailhead.

gibut

Man i really want to get into hiking stuff looks like so much fun. If anyone in the NY area is ever going somewhere close by shoot me a pm.

Does it get cold once you start hitting about 10k feet on Kilimanjaro? i know Everest is pretty brutal once u start hitting the higher altitudes. Do any of you guys climb as well?

Necrovex

After doing a mini-hike to a waterfall when my family was taking a break from rafting, I've been really wanting to try full-on hiking.

The problem is the lack of great hiking places in Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom