• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hiking Gaf - "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the US National Park permit system as prohibitive as I'm led to believe? I'm planning to road trip the US in April next year but the impression that I get is you can't just turn up and expect to go walking/set up camp? Are they that busy? Will I need a permit everywhere I go?

You will need permits to camp in most parks. Most parks do however set aside a good number of campsites for walk-ins. While traveling, don't forget to check State Parks for camping opportunities as well. Many states even have apps for reserving sites and what not.

Also, on a completely random note: It looks like I will be taking my first job as a NPS Park Ranger next Spring! So damn excited!

Le-mo

Wow, I'm jealous of you guys. I live in Washington state and I love hiking but I have never been to anywhere with such great views like you guys have. Maybe its time to go out of state.

verbum

Ok hikingGAF, I have been challenged to do something a bit crazy and am looking for ideas. I'm doing a 3 day 2 night trip in the white mountains in two weeks. I have been challenged to bring steak and cheeses w/ mushrooms and onions for everyone for the second day. My plan is to pre-cook the steak and bring it up in my lunch box (a soft cooler that will easily keep it cold for the hike in and there will probably be a refrigerator there to keep it cold overnight) Then pop it into some kind of pan and heat it up at the summit of Mount Jefferson. I need opinions on the best way to heat it up (I'm thinking about lugging up a couple of sternos and one of those aluminum pans) and how safe will it be to eat it at the point. What are everyone's thoughts?

Cook the steak,onions, and cheese and then freeze it solid. After a day in a small cooler it will begin to thaw.
I would put it in a small lightweight pot with a lid and warm it up with an alcohol stove or two (which you can make with a soda can).

http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm

If you are over-nighting with a heavier pack, you are going to want a little heavier hiking boot as opposed to some trail-runner or light hiking shoe.

Something like that.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XRE1T6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

As for food, your best bet is simply a system that can boil water. Here in the states we have these jet fuel things that can boil water in about a minute and you just dump it into a package of pre-cooked meals (can buy them at outdoor stores). Cliff bars and the de-hydrated food...those are going to be your lightest and best bets.

You sure your phone is going to work out there?

If you hop on the REI website and/or backpackers magainze, they have a bunch of checklists.

Off the top of my head.
backback. between 45-75L. If smaller, make sure plenty of straps to hook things on.
Tent: (which you have).
Sleeping Bag: (probably synthetic..drys out faster..especially if you are in Scotland)
Sleeping Mat: Essential, keeps you off the ground..The ground SUCKS the heat out of you. This leads to bad...bad things.
Way to boil water (IE cooking).
Water Filtration.
Camelback (3L) Maybe a Nalgene or two.
Food Enough for two days. (Think about 4000 calories).
First Aid (including blister stuff)
Head Lamp
Compression Sack to put one change of clothes (in case you fall in a river or something), can be used as a pillow.

I suggest a two day hike first. You will be AMAZED at how much you will learn on the first overnight. Then once you get your system down, hit up 3 days.

Tex's list is good, but I think those shoes he linked are overdoing it in price and in terms of what you'll need for a 2 day trip. If you have any kind of outdoor specialty store (like REI) just go there and ask them for suggestions, they know a lot about that stuff. Ankle support is good, but you should not have to spend more than $100-$120.

For cooking, a cheap camp stove like this works fine. Just think high calorie. Trail mix and fruit makes a great lunch IMO. Also, depending on where you are going you might need a water filter.

Awesome. Really appreciate the help guys.

So here's the equipment I ended up getting:

Gelert Explorer 65 L Rucksack
41OFkNd6CUL._AA300_.jpg

Campingaz Camp Bistro
41thSo7-7LL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Gelert Tryfan 300DL Sleeping Bag
3177LdGQiPL._AA300_.jpg

Hi-Tek Eurotrek Waterproof Hiking Boots
7BrHPl.jpg

First desitination:

The Ben Nevis trail

ben_nevis_climbing_470x313.jpg

Wool

You will need permits to camp in most parks. Most parks do however set aside a good number of campsites for walk-ins. While traveling, don't forget to check State Parks for camping opportunities as well. Many states even have apps for reserving sites and what not.

Also, on a completely random note: It looks like I will be taking my first job as a NPS Park Ranger next Spring! So damn excited!

Wow, that would be a dream job. Is i straight out of college? Congrats

Rookje

Can someone recommend a good Hiking shirt? Something like this but a more tailored fit.

I like TAD's stuff, and Outlier but they're both pretty pricey.

Loxley

My girlfriend and I went hiking around and old quarry this last May. The trails themselves are pretty lengthy since it's a huge place that has since been turned into a hiking/jogging park.

Some of the old (and massive) equipment they used to use is still there too, rusting away:

dsc01051j.jpg
dsc01054rb.jpg

Other random pics:

dsc01062c.jpg
dsc01060j.jpg

dsc01080vj.jpg
dsc01083mg.jpg

And near the end of the hike we came across this little guy:

dsc01078k.jpg

I nearly accidentally stepped on him, but my GF pointed him out just in time. This was the first time she'd ever seen a Garter snake, she was pretty excited since she likes snakes.

Educational or law enforcement ranger? Also, what park, if you don't mind saying.

I work for the park service.

Natetan

First desitination:

The Ben Nevis trail

ben_nevis_climbing_470x313.jpg

Hey I just did Ben Nevis a couple weeks ago!

The pony trail is really boring actually. I came up the north face which was really cool. There is a nice long valley that is quite pretty actually. It gets a little tough once you get to the house/station thing. It's very rocky and can be tough to maneuver a bit.

The day I did it the top was surrounded by a black cloud and it was raining the whole time which made going up a bit difficult and cold. I got a little bit lost for around 10 minutes and really started to panic (a bit embarrasing, but). I eventually saw some antennae placed every 50m or so leading towards the peak that I followed (I felt like I was playing a PS1 era FPS or something). The peak was miserable in the rain, so I quickly went down the pony trail path. I found it to be kind of long and boring and also very crowded. I'm glad I came down that way though, and you can also basically descend to the same altitude as the house on the north face of the mountain and go back that way walking by the lock visible from the pony trail.

yonder

Does anyone here wear their hiking boots as everyday boots during the winter?

I just moved to Sweden and I need a good pair of boots for the winter, but I also need some proper hiking boots for some trips next year, and I'd rather get one really great (but expensive) pair of hiking boots than a decent (but moderately priced) pair of everyday boots + a decent pair of hiking boots. Part of me feels like I would look like an idiot walking around town in big boots, but at least I'd have warm and dry feet.

Also, to contribute a bit to the thread, I hiked the west highland way in Scotland last spring. It was the first long hike (7 days) I've been on and it was great. Very nice scenery, and the villages you pass through are really nice and friendly.

Pictures!

Untitled by Jonathan Urch, on Flickr

Buachaille Etive Mor by Jonathan Urch, on Flickr

My next hike is probably going to be up in the north of Sweden. Anyone have any experience hiking up there?

I'm glad this thread started!

First of all -

bEpBk.jpg

holy shit must have.

Last weekend I did the Paradise -> Muir hike on Rainier. Such a gorgeous day. Wildflowers were in bloom as well!

paradise+mount+rainier+HD+wallpapers+HD+HD+Wallpaper.jpg

Going up to Sheep's lake for some overnight backpacking next weekend.

There has to be some more Western Washington hikers on GAF.

Had to bump this. I did Paradise last September as it was my first time at Rainier. I was blown away. Simply amazingly beautiful. Can't wait to go again. Would actually be pretty sweet to have a GAF Hiking meet up.

zethren

Banned
I love hiking.

Someday I'd like to hike the entire Appalachian mountain trail from GA to Maine. Dunno if I'd ever get the chance, though.

A well deserved bump. I've just started hiking since last October and have grown to love it. I'm hiking mainly San Diego, though nothing major, and thanks to this thread I have gotten a pair of Merrell Solo Origins and damn are those things comfortable requiring no break-in. Are there any hiking boots with a similar comfort level though with some waterproofing, and that look just as good (possibly with a wide toe box). I am preparing for an overnight trip sometime in the next couple of months and buying my equipment piecemeal and the boots have got me stumped.

Here's a photosphere I took in November

ZZMitch

I got picked to go on a canoe expedition with my school in Nunavut (Canadian Arctic) in July and there should be some good hiking going on there too I believe! Super excited.

A well deserved bump. I've just started hiking since last October and have grown to love it. I'm hiking mainly San Diego, though nothing major, and thanks to this thread I have gotten a pair of Merrell Solo Origins and damn are those things comfortable requiring no break-in. Are there any hiking boots with a similar comfort level though with some waterproofing, and that look just as good (possibly with a wide toe box). I am preparing for an overnight trip sometime in the next couple of months and buying my equipment piecemeal and the boots have got me stumped.

Here's a photosphere I took in November

If you're looking for something lightweight and fairly affordable, the Keen Verdi Mid WP is a good option. Check 'em out here.

If you're starting to get more serious about your hiking and are going to more rugged and remote trails, I suggest you consider investing in a serious boot. Something from Asolo, Vasque, La Sportiva, AKU or Zamberlan. They cost a little more, but they'll last you for years and the protection they bring to your feet is worth it.

I really want to get into hiking and such. Hard right now because my kids are so little, though.

One of my life's goals used to be to hike the entire Appalachian, but I don't think I'll ever do it.

If you're looking for something lightweight and fairly affordable, the Keen Verdi Mid WP is a good option. Check 'em out here.

If you're starting to get more serious about your hiking and are going to more rugged and remote trails, I suggest you consider investing in a serious boot. Something from Asolo, Vasque, La Sportiva, AKU or Zamberlan. They cost a little more, but they'll last you for years and the protection they bring to your feet is worth it.

Thanks for the suggestions, those Keen Verdi look nice (particularly the potting soil) and they look like they would make for some good beginner boots. Do you happen to know if they have a roomy toe box? Before I picked up those Merrells I had a pair of Timberland Radlers and the toe box kind of tapered in at the end and made them uncomfortable.

Schmalz said:
I have a website dedicated to showing people what's out there in California. Here's my latest post. Get to the Sierra if you can!

http://calitrails.com/2013/06/05/oni...-great-escape/

Beautiful photos. I'm subscribing to the blog.

RyanDG

Just finished turning in my forms for my Konnarock work week this summer. If you guys are a fan of the Appalachian trail and interested in giving back, its a great opportunity. It's basically a week out on the trail, doing large trail projects (rock work, trail relocations, bridge building, etc). Last year was my first year volunteering with Konnarock, and I really enjoyed the opportunity. I think its going to be a regular thing during the summers here on out.

And just something random from a recent trip...

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I haven't been backpacking for almost two years now... I really want to go again this summer.

Here are some pictures from when I went backpacking in the Inyo National Forest though:

6148403119_23849ff9ec_b.jpg

6144993953_739e510ebe_b.jpg

The rest of the photos are here if anyone would like to see them: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kippppp/sets/72157627545879507/

Also, does anyone know of good hiking spots in the San Diego area? Preferably North County? I love hiking, but it seems like this place is just one massive suburb with no good hikes within a reasonable distance.

Educational or law enforcement ranger? Also, what park, if you don't mind saying.

I work for the park service.

As someone who's trying to figure what on earth I'm going to do now that I've graduated with a bachelor's in Sociology, would you recommend working for the park service? Being a park ranger or something similar is an idea that I keep coming back to when I'm thinking of jobs to apply for.

schmalz

I haven't been backpacking for almost two years now... I really want to go again this summer.

Here are some pictures from when I went backpacking in the Inyo National Forest though:

6148403119_23849ff9ec_b.jpg

6144993953_739e510ebe_b.jpg

The rest of the photos are here if anyone would like to see them: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kippppp/sets/72157627545879507/

Also, does anyone know of good hiking spots in the San Diego area? Preferably North County? I love hiking, but it seems like this place is just one massive suburb with no good hikes within a reasonable distance.

As someone who's trying to figure what on earth I'm going to do now that I've graduated with a bachelor's in Sociology, would you recommend working for the park service? Being a park ranger or something similar is an idea that I keep coming back to when I'm thinking of jobs to apply for.

Let's bump this. First of all, I love the Sabrina Basin, so thanks for the sweet pics.

I was just a few miles from there on my recent trip, here is the report:

http://calitrails.com/2013/07/12/north-lake-to-lower-lamarck-and-wonder-lakes/

21-cascade2.jpg

About to spend a week in yosemite starting in a couple of days. I'm super excited to be going back. I'll be sure to bring back some pictures :)

Toxi

Banned
Yosemite's awesome. I went there with my father's friends (Who are climbing buffs), and while climbing terrified me, I had tons of fun hiking up Lembert Dome. That's definitely a good place to visit.

yeah, it does. But isn't it just half dome that you need a permit for? It doesn't bother me that much if so, I feel half dome is overrated.

Yeah but it's only a matter of time before they apply it to other things. Last time I was there Vernal seemed too damn packed on the stairs.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Let's bump this. First of all, I love the Sabrina Basin, so thanks for the sweet pics.

I was just a few miles from there on my recent trip, here is the report:

http://calitrails.com/2013/07/12/north-lake-to-lower-lamarck-and-wonder-lakes/

21-cascade2.jpg

Firstly, thanks for the much needed bump! The thread was moving pretty quickly, then I posted and all of a sudden it completely died. Haha

And very nice! That's a lovely hike. You probably went at a slightly better time than I did though. I went in September and, being a Southern California boy, thought it'd be warm so I only brought t-shirts and a Wal-Mart windbreaker. It ended up snowing. Suffice to say, I was a bit chilly.

Atenhaus

Hah, I just did a hike around Paradise at Mt. Rainier National Park. I'm not surprised to see a large contingent of Washington hikers here. :p I'll be doing Pinnacle Peak next weekend.

Oh! A hiking thread! Count me in! I just did a 25+mile hike at San Gorgonio carrying a pack for the first time. 30lbs is pretty daunting the first 5 miles, but on the second day I was used to it.

NjGpUTk.jpg

Best hike I ever did was Kinabalu in Borneo, Malaysia. HIGLY recommended. Such a cool trip.

UUerEht.jpg

Hiking in Poland is ace too:

wZ2kdRh.jpg

n2EEdeY.jpg

(I'm leftmost and was utterly unprepared for the chill/steepness on the mountain)

Oh! A hiking thread! Count me in! I just did a 25+mile hike at San Gorgonio carrying a pack for the first time. 30lbs is pretty daunting the first 5 miles, but on the second day I was used to it.

NjGpUTk.jpg

I'm planning on hitting up either Gorgonio or Jacinto in the coming months for my first overnight backpacking trip. Were there any particular trails you did on Gorgonio? How was the weather?

I'm planning on hitting up either Gorgonio or Jacinto in the coming months for my first overnight backpacking trip. Were there any particular trails you did on Gorgonio? How was the weather?

We did the South Fork Trail, and if you want a bit of a challenge, that's the one to go with. Camp overnight at Red Rock Flats, then do the last 4 miles to the top when you get up. This way you can always take the long loop around and back to see the other side of the mountain.

Mileage from this route was highly disputed among our planners. We were told it would be 20 miles roundtrip, but realistically it was 25-28miles (+1 or 2 for the water retrieval).

Only real problem we ran into doing this trail was that water was a bit scarce. There was a nice cold stream about 4 miles in, then the next was at High Meadows Spring after you hit the camp (an extra mile or so after you drop your gear). Most people were too destroyed by the up hike that morning to have the energy, though, so me and the other girl had to go haul it ourselves.

The weather was wicked hot sometimes, but there was plenty of shade on the way up until you hit the tree line. Got myself pretty burned on 1/2 of my body going down the next day, though.

If you do plan on summiting and doing the overnight, do you have:

Bear Canister (required)
Water Filtration Pack (recommended to the point where I'd say it's required)
Jet Boiler (highly recommended bc hot tea is such a booster in the morning and when you summit)

?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I mostly go to one day hikes in the mountains with my dad. I live in northwestern Slovenia and we have Julian Alps and Karavanke ridge very near.

My gear is simple - basic backpack (we go on route with only water and some additional clothes and maybe a sandwich or two), retractable hiking rods (dad is using skiing rods) and Planika hiking boots. And helmet for alpine tours.

This year we went to some easy hikes on Jelovica plateu (to prepare knees and ankles for steeper hills), and two longer hikes:
1) Ljubelj border crossing (930 m) - Prevala plain (1140 m) - crossing slope to Roblek cabin (1670 m) and descent back to the valley (600 m). 6 hours, with tea pauses in two cabins - the most incredible herbal tea with honey ever. And schanpps in it.

View of Bled and its surroundings from Roblek cabin

2) Rudno polje biathlon centre (1300 m) - Viševnik (2050 m) - Mali Draški vrh (2132 m)- Rudno polje biathlon centre. 4 hours and 45 minutes.
View from the top of Viševnik to the starting point (plain in the middle of the woods)

Mali Draški vrh on the left - there is no marked trail on it, you go almost directly on it from the ridge on middle-left and it is steep and extra caution is needed due to loose rocks. Helmet is very good idea.
North face of Viševnik, picture taken during descent towards ridge where "path" to Mali Draški vrh begins

Next weekend, there will be hike to mountain peak Tosc (2275 m).

I need to buy a new backpacking tent soon here. Preferably one that can fit 2 people with room to spare.

Thinking of the REI Quarter Dome Tent, anyone have one? If so, thoughts.

Not quite the same one I shared on the San Gorgonio hike, but I have heard good things about this model. The dual exits and see-through mesh for night sky viewing are pretty ace. Looks roomier than the one I had to double up in too.

We did the South Fork Trail, and if you want a bit of a challenge, that's the one to go with. Camp overnight at Red Rock Flats, then do the last 4 miles to the top when you get up. This way you can always take the long loop around and back to see the other side of the mountain.

Mileage from this route was highly disputed among our planners. We were told it would be 20 miles roundtrip, but realistically it was 25-28miles (+1 or 2 for the water retrieval).

Only real problem we ran into doing this trail was that water was a bit scarce. There was a nice cold stream about 4 miles in, then the next was at High Meadows Spring after you hit the camp (an extra mile or so after you drop your gear). Most people were too destroyed by the up hike that morning to have the energy, though, so me and the other girl had to go haul it ourselves.

The weather was wicked hot sometimes, but there was plenty of shade on the way up until you hit the tree line. Got myself pretty burned on 1/2 of my body going down the next day, though.

If you do plan on summiting and doing the overnight, do you have:

Bear Canister (required)
Water Filtration Pack (recommended to the point where I'd say it's required)
Jet Boiler (highly recommended bc hot tea is such a booster in the morning and when you summit)

?

Thanks for the info. I was thinking that we should take the Vivian Creek trail but I'm more enamored with longer hikes so I'm going to suggest the South Creek trail to my group. I still have to get the water filter and bear canister. Did you use a water filter or a UV sterilizer? Also, have you ever done Jacinto? The group is still debating which one to do.

Natetan

I'm going hiking in the Pyrenees in September. Want to do the Aledo the tallest mountain, but i hear its easy. i dont have a problem with that really. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm going to fly into Barcelona work my way though the Pyrenees and then fly out from Bilbao. Does that make sense?

Loxley

I'm just starting to get back into hiking after not really doing any at all while in college. My girlfriend and I just recently went hiking around the Cleveland Metroparks, was great to get out of the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom