• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
My family also had a Zenith. What a useless object console TVs were. I remember my grandparents didn't want to switch away from a console, though, because you could put tchotchkes on top of it, like it's a piece of furniture.

Plz.

Madao

i remember i almost busted my back carrying the last CRT i got 14 years ago and it was just 29".

it doesn't help the thing didn't have handles built in so i got a lot of hand pain trying to even grab the thing properly.

i really don't miss CRTs outside the super rare time i get a kick of playing an old game without input lag.

My family also had a Zenith. What a useless object console TVs were. I remember my grandparents didn't want to switch away from a console, though, because you could put tchotchkes on top of it, like it's a piece of furniture.

Plz.

I'm pretty sure my grandma still uses one of those.

I wanted one of those sooooo bad. The ads for it in game magazines looked awesome.

Of course, in reality, it's a 13" TV, IIRC... so it probably wasn't very cool.

It was cool when I was young, but it certainly got lamer the older I got.

Much like anything "Gamer" branded, it's already struggling to be considered cool by anyone's standard.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

Plz.
My grandmother used to use furniture polish on her Quasar console TV a few times a week and the thing looked brand new when the TV got too expensive to keep repairing and she got rid of it. Someone bought the console because it looked so nice.

My grandmother used to use furniture polish on her Quasar console TV a few times a week and the thing looked brand new when the TV got too expensive to keep repairing and she got rid of it. Someone bought the console because it looked so nice.

If you could find the right fit it would be cool to drop a nice later model consumer CRT into a well-kept old console body. Kitschy and functional.

I remember I had a GX TV. Thing was silly looking as hell, but I sure put a ton of hours on it.

wtf

6a00d83452989a69e20115713e2a0d970b-600wi

Whatever happened to those Dreamcast component cables that HD retrovision was testing out?

There was a mention of it in their May update

We've also resumed working on various aspects related to the design of the Dreamcast YPbPr cables. However, based on past data we recognize that our productivity on this will take a major hit during a month or two following the next SNES/Genesis YPbPr cable release date. This is when we will have to divert most of our resources toward providing technical support.

Peltz

i remember i almost busted my back carrying the last CRT i got 14 years ago and it was just 29".

it doesn't help the thing didn't have handles built in so i got a lot of hand pain trying to even grab the thing properly.

i really don't miss CRTs outside the super rare time i get a kick of playing an old game without input lag.

I always get a kick out of playing with no lag. The experience still feels like magic.

Madao

i noticed that with the latest OSSC update, the line3x and 4x modes work with my setup and TV. it's funny to see 240p in line3x looking better than 480p now. it's too bad line 2x for 480p sources looks so bad on my TV (i guess this is what happens when a non-integer scaled resolution is fed to this TV).
it's too bad line5x doesn't work in my setup since that requires better HDMI cables according to the wiki, but if someone knows any trick to get this working, it'd be welcomed. or at least a cable which works with it.

I always get a kick out of playing with no lag. The experience still feels like magic.

sometimes yeah. sometimes it feels like traveling back in time.

with the HDMI N64 i got, i could take advantage of both since i could play on the CRT and record the HDMI output. that was my plan to get back to some games but old age is making it hard (i can't reach my former skill level and i lack the motivation :p)
i still keep it just in case, just like what the insurance ads say "better to have it and not need it than needing it and not having it".

the CRT also has some wonky geometry, which makes it a bit hard to stay playing in it and the buzz kind of bothers me so i can't use it for too long.

Fallen92

i noticed that with the latest OSSC update, the line3x and 4x modes work with my setup and TV. it's funny to see 240p in line3x looking better than 480p now. it's too bad line 2x for 480p sources looks so bad on my TV (i guess this is what happens when a non-integer scaled resolution is fed to this TV).
it's too bad line5x doesn't work in my setup since that requires better HDMI cables according to the wiki, but if someone knows any trick to get this working, it'd be welcomed. or at least a cable which works with it.

Yeah same here it's great to finally be able to use line X3 and x5 on my TV. I've found that turning off the Allow TVP HPLL2x option in the sampling opt. Menu makes line x5 work on my TV with everything but SNES so try it out and see if that works.

Used the new 480i scaling options for the first time a couple days ago. Pretty impressed with the sharpness even with bob deinterlacing going on.

Yeah same here it's great to finally be able to use line X3 and x5 on my TV. I've found that turning off the Allow TVP HPLL2x option in the sampling opt. Menu makes line x5 work on my TV with everything but SNES so try it out and see if that works.

I can confirm that the new firmware has made my OSSC and TV compatible again!!!

So happy. Pics incoming. I threw everything I had at it (SNES, CDX, MVS, TurboDuo, Sega Saturn, all RGBS) and had no issues. It worked up to line5x, but everything here is 3x with 16:9 output.

Just ordered the HDMI Audio board. Anybody wanna help a brother out with some soldering?

Vespa

i'm in the gamecube component club

GBi is magical

Nice! I'm still okay with playing GC games through the Wii to get that sweet 480p but hoping the HDMI mods for it can close the gap on the sharpness that you get with GC component cables. Did you sell body parts to pay for it?

I plan to get GBi up and running soon, do you know if it has inbuilt colour/contrast settings to compensate for how the games were setup for that washed out og screen?

Nice! I'm still okay with playing GC games through the Wii to get that sweet 480p but hoping the HDMI mods for it can close the gap on the sharpness that you get with GC component cables. Did you sell body parts to pay for it?

I plan to get GBi up and running soon, do you know if it has inbuilt colour/contrast settings to compensate for how the games were setup for that washed out og screen?

No it doesn't and I'm not sure that's something that can be fixed in post. There are many color restoration rom hacks though if you have a flash cart!

If you're playing on a modern tv you should be playing gamecube on a WiiU!

KC-Slater

Last night I cracked open my 9-pin to SCART cable to resolder the sync line from out to in, so I could use it with my Supergun. This was the final piece of the puzzle. I finally have my MVS hooked up to my PVM, and it looks so good! It's been quite the journey figuring all of this arcade hardware stuff out, but I had a blast doing it!

dubc35

With the Metroid Prime 4 announcement I thought I might grab a GC to play the first trilogy...and I never had a GC so play the other games as well. *went to ebay to check component cable prices* ... nope.gif. I'll be going the S-Video route if I pick one up.

With the Metroid Prime 4 announcement I thought I might grab a GC to play the first trilogy...and I never had a GC so play the other games as well. *went to ebay to check component cable prices* ... nope.gif. I'll be going the S-Video route if I pick one up.
Just get a Wii

Ha, I was actually just looking at that. I have little to no knowledge of Nintendo consoles from Gamecube until now basically. I'll have to do some more research.
If all you're about is playing the metroid games, Wii is the way to go since it has all 3 in a collection.

Kawika

Saw this posted on shmups forum, and thought it was too good not to steal. This is the OSSC at line5x:

o5rPhk1.jpg

I said wow.

Its amazing how much better the OSSC looks to me than the framemeister. I am sad my 4K and the OSSC didn't like each other. I am really considering just having a 2nd TV in the room just for the OSSC. Crosses fingers that the update fixed that because the OSSC and my TV would work periodically.

A review for the OSSC 1.6 was put up, and the expected date for orders was said too

Yes, we realise that many of you are eager to get your hands on the new OSSC. We have increased batch sizes again and we're expecting the final quotation for the first batch of OSSC 1.6 to come through by Friday the 23rd of June. After that, we'll open orders to those of you on the waiting list first, then to the general public if there are any units left over. We're aiming for a run of 3000 units, though this may be split into two batches of 1500 that arrive around a month apart. An announcement will be sent to those of you on the newsletter waiting list first.

For the folks looking for GameCube component cables, I'd suggest trying to find the d-terminal cable. It's a component signal, just with a different plug. Sometimes you can find them cheaper than standard component cables. I got mine for about $90 last year.

Though I will say, I had major buyers remorse at first. No cable should cost that much. I'm glad I have it now, but paying that much hurt.

For the folks looking for GameCube component cables, I'd suggest trying to find the d-terminal cable. It's a component signal, just with a different plug. Sometimes you can find them cheaper than standard component cables. I got mine for about $90 last year.

Though I will say, I had major buyers remorse at first. No cable should cost that much. I'm glad I have it now, but paying that much hurt.
Thanks for the tip. How do you hook this up to your TV? Do you need any extra gadgets or modify the cable? I need to get my GC out from storage but my LG B6 has no way of connecting to it outside of maybe composite :( there is component but I don't have the cables.

I got mine for about $100CAD with a gamecube and games. I had some buyers remorse as well since I really don't think it's a big upgrade from s-video for GameBoy Player. I didn't even use it for about a year after the initial testing phase as it was just way easier with the way I had things hooked up to share an s-video cable between Famicom/SuFmai/N64/GameCube. I actually spent some effort trying to find a good person to sell it to at-cost that wouldn't turn around and sell it for $300 on ebay but I'm kinda glad I didn't now since my current set up does not have any way to do s-video.

Thanks for the tip. How do you hook this up to your TV? Do you need any extra gadgets or modify the cable? I need to get my GC out from storage but my LG B6 has no way of connecting to it outside of maybe composite :( there is component but I don't have the cables.

You just adapt it with one of these. (linking amazon jp cause I hate the price everywhere else)

Madao

that cable also jumped in price by now.

i ended up regretting selling my cables and went to get them again. turns out getting a D-Terminal cable + adapter was cheaper than one of the normal Component cables.

in all, i think i only lost $10 (ebay fees ate some of the profit i got when i sold the first one and then there were shipping charges for the stuff i got). my mistake was assuming GCVideo would be ready and easily obtainable on time.

Yes Boss!

Its amazing how much better the OSSC looks to me than the framemeister. I am sad my 4K and the OSSC didn't like each other. I am really considering just having a 2nd TV in the room just for the OSSC. Crosses fingers that the update fixed that because the OSSC and my TV would work periodically.

This is the problem for the OSSC. Always firmware needs updates. Incompatibility. Need to use PC monitors sometimes, which are just too small. Updates are difficult for folks without PC.

Looks amazing if it is a whole different level of interest then the FM. Wish there were a plug and play version for luddites.

RedFox85

So quick update, the TV I picked up ended up being a Sony Trinitron KV-27FS210. I googled the TV and it turns out it's 1080i but I have been happy with the picture quality it puts out vs the old Philips I picked up off the street. I am feeding it S-Video for my SNES and I think it looks pretty good honestly, but I know it probably wouldn't be up to the standards of some in here. To be honest I had no idea this TV was 1080i before the google search, it has me kind of disheartened now that I know its not 480.. but it really does blow the Phillips I had away in terms of PQ so I guess it's not that much of a loss - I was just really really happy to find a Trinitron as I had heard of their greatness for retro gaming for so long. This TV weighs about 108lbs.. I nearly died getting it into my basement, so even if it is 1080i it's not going anywhere ugh.

This is the problem for the OSSC. Always firmware needs updates. Incompatibility. Need to use PC monitors sometimes, which are just too small. Updates are difficult for folks without PC.

Looks amazing if it is a whole different level of interest then the FM. Wish there were a plug and play version for luddites.
Framemeister also had pretty regular firmware updates. You never need to use a PC monitor. Updates are no more or less difficult than the framemeister.

Galdelico

Framemeister also had pretty regular firmware updates. You never need to use a PC monitor. Updates are no more or less difficult than the framemeister.
Exactly. Managing the OSSC at a decent level of depth became pretty easy pretty quickly, even for an AV dork like myself.

MysticX

so, what is the best TV to get for classic gaming?

I live in Denmark, so getting a B&O should be easy, but which model?

Component? Yes pls, 240P and 480P preferred since there are so many new cables coming for all systems allowing you to play 240P (SNES, Genesis, Saturn and so on)

TeaJay

so, what is the best TV to get for classic gaming?

I live in Denmark, so getting a B&O should be easy, but which model?

Component? Yes pls, 240P and 480P preferred since there are so many new cables coming for all systems allowing you to play 240P (SNES, Genesis, Saturn and so on)

If you live in Denmark why not go straight for RGB, since euro consumer TV's usually support RGB scart natively. Genesis/MD, Saturn and SNES all support RGB natively as well.

If you can score a Beovision that's gonna be one of the best as far as consumer TV's go. Sony Trinitrons are generally considered good, but there are plenty of other good ones as well, like the Panasonic TX series.

Of course there are various types of studio monitors to consider if you want to put a bit more money into it as well.

Cogwheels

Neo Member
I'm really tempted to ditch the Framemeister and go with OSSC. I've never been satisfied with the look and feel of it, despite using all of the profiles/settings created by others.

I wonder if it's compatible with either of my TVs though (Samsung 4K KS7000 + Panasonic Viera Plasma)

I went the d terminal route and cut the connector off. It the exact same wiring and the wires are even color coded. I soldered some RCA jack's on the red/blue/green wires and hooked it up!

I'll just wait for GCVideoX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom